[Poll] What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Don't go camping
38%
In a tent, carried in a backpack
14%
In a tent, carried in a car
30%
In a pop-up tent trailer
5%
In a travel trailer
6%
In a pickup truck camper
2%
In a camper van
2%
In a motorhome
4%

Total votes: 193

Bob's not my name

Re: [Poll] What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Post by Bob's not my name »

Or not:
Bob's not my name wrote:
texasdiver wrote:at this very moment I am riding down the Pacific Coast on a tandem with my 10 year old daughter
Don't text and drive, dude.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

EmergDoc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
I like buying equipment at REI, because they help me choosing and fitting the gear and have a generous return policy. Today, the guy worked with me for an hour and a half making various adjustments until the pack became virtually weightless.

Victoria
That's a cool trick. If I could figure out how to make a pack with 20 lbs of camping gear and 30 lbs of climbing gear in it feel weightless it would really improve the quality of my trips. Maybe I should do some more pack shopping. Mine is 20 years old. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to cut off 5 lbs.
The relationship between the weight and the price is exponential (inversely). This is what covertfantom wrote about earlier in this thread. However, depending on where you start, you can collect some low-hanging fruit. I am now making easy improvements such as a new pack that's over 4lbs lighter than the old one, a much lighter sleeping bag, and replacement of at least some of the books I normally carry with electronics. I am not trying to save every ounce with the state-of-the-art equipment, and so the costs are reasonable.

Also, backpacking is so much cheaper than other modes of travel that a single trip will justify the cost of the new equipment.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Raybo wrote:I didn't vote because I carry my tent on my bicycle.
My apologies to those who camp in a tent while biking, kayaking, canoeing or boating. I obviously missed an important category when constructing the poll. Unfortunately, even as the OP, I'm apparently unable to edit the poll to include this new option:
  • In a tent, carried by bike or watercraft
If a Forum moderator sees this post, perhaps they can insert this new option, say between the "tent-backpack" and "tent-car" options in the poll? Thanks!
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Over the years on this website, Bogleheads have extolled the value of saving money in many ways. There are many good reasons to camp, but saving money while traveling is definitely one of them. For example, this September, I will be staying at the Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite at a cost of $50 for five nights. I could pay anywhere from about $2000 to $300 for the same five nights depending if I stayed at the Ahwahnee, the Lodge, or tent cabins at Curry Village. Camping in Yosemite Valley is a bargain compared to the other options.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Bob's not my name

JMacDonald wrote:Ahwahnee
Totally worth it. Not really -- I'm a camper, but had the good fortune to stay at the Ahwahnee cheap when we went to Yosemite on an unplanned spring visit.
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

Simplegift wrote:Do Bogleheads go camping? I'm interested not only in your current mode of camping, but also why you selected the particular equipment you use. What specific features of your current camping equipment and setup do you like or dislike? Do you have recommendations for others?

Feel free to include a small photo of your camping setup or equipment — it may serve to inspire others who may not get the chance to explore the great outdoors this summer!

Personally, now in late middle age, we camp with a small fiberglass travel trailer and jeep — an excellent combination for exploring remote, less-traveled regions of the Inland Northwest.
Wife and I are camping in Rocky Mountain National Park 7/18-7/21. Driving up in my jeep and will use a tent. Only problem is it is very dry and lots of wildfires.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Bob's not my name wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:Ahwahnee
Totally worth it. Not really -- I'm a camper, but had the good fortune to stay at the Ahwahnee cheap when we went to Yosemite on an unplanned spring visit.
I don't camp in the Winter and had a reservation at the Ahwahnee for $220 a night. Considering it usually costs between $400 to $500 a night, that was a bargain. I canceled because I couldn't see paying that much even if it was for the Ahwahnee.
Best Wishes, | Joe
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I get only a single 4-6 night backpacking trip per year, now that we have kids. But we also camp as a family in a tent 3-4 weekends and 1-2 more weeks per year. This year we've got 9 days in Mt. Rainier, and ten days in the North and Central Cascades. I'm going to do six days solo in the Pasayten wilderness in two weeks.

Basically, I more or less live for hiking, camping, and backpacking. This summer is looking to be a good one!
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

I used to backpack back in the day, but that was when my back and I were much younger. Now we rent a tent cabin with for a week: mattresses, shared bathroom facilities with hot water showers, and meals provided at a central dining hall 1/4 mile away. It's a good compromise to get the kids out into the woods for a week while still enjoying the creature comforts.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Since I quit working, I've lost 30 pounds by backpacking often (a thousand miles in 2011). As a retiree, I needed light backpacking gear for my frequent trips into nearby wilderness areas. That ultralight gear has been an investment that improved my health.

During a 14 hour snowstorm, I found that I can comfortably sleep and lounge longer in the camping hammock that I pack, than laying in my bed at home.

A quote from Outside magazine, "Tomorrow, I would rather wake up outdoors than in any hotel on earth."

One from Edward Abbey, "It was the hottest, driest, roughest, rockiest, reddest, least developed, least inhabited, least visited, most forlorn, most God forsaken area of the Southwest. It is the best I've seen, so far."

I hope that everyone finds the recreation that suits them.
enderland

Post by enderland »

One of my dreams is to convert a van into a moveable home which would let me travel to areas and easily go camping for extended periods of time.

:)
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

enderland wrote:One of my dreams is to convert a van into a moveable home which would let me travel to areas and easily go camping for extended periods of time.

:)
Have you looked at a Provan or an Earthroamer?
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

We're actually none of the above but I marked for travel trailers, we use a hybrid, half TT and half popup. Like many we've used most everything from backpacking , to canoe camping, and now that we need a bathroom the hybrid. We did look at an Escape trailer, like your Scamp but it's a bit too small for DW. And if DW isn't happy it isn't going to happen.
Regards | Bob
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I camp with a tent out of a car but am now interested in the r pod style. My recent experiences at large national type campgrounds has not been so good. They are usually very crowded and can be quite noisy. Not to mention the air quality when you have 50 to 100 camp fires going at once. I guess I need to get of the beaten path and maybe try off season camping.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

I like buying equipment at REI...
REI is great and I shop there plenty. But there is an unfortunate side effect to their vastness. They tend to not carry gear from small or niche manufacturers, because those manufacturers cannot supply the volumes REI requires. Therefore a lot of state-of-the-art gear cannot be had from REI - for example, Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I say this as admittedly a gear elitist, having the funds, at this point in life, to buy expensive gear. For value, REI is hard to beat.
jollystomper

Post by jollystomper »

We have been doing tent camping (with minivan full of stuff) for about 10 years. I tent camped a lot when younger as our oldest sons were in the boy scouts but my wife did not back then. She has enjoyed the last 10 years but we have been very lucky in going out 2-3 times a year and not having any severely bad weather.

However, we are older (mid 50's) and would like more flexibility and comfort. So I am looking at getting a vehicle that can tow a pop-up trailer (we would still bring the tent along to still have that option based on weather and location).
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

When I was young I did a lot of fairly hardcore backbacking, mostly in the Rockies and White Mountains in NH (where trails are actually harder than the Rockies, especially if bushwacking). I believed that if you did not hike for 8 hours or more before setting up camp you were not camping.

Some years later, with small kids in tow, we turned to car camping. Can't do hardcore backpacking with toddlers. Ended up going totally soft. Giant Condo tent, 6 inch thick air mattress, blown up with an electric pump. Very comfy. :)

Now the kids are in boy scouts and I get to do semi-car camping. That is, "backback" a few hundred yards to half a mile, then set up camp. No car camping amenities, but no real hike. Do get to camp in below freezing weather.

Next year they will be advanced enough for the real boy scout "high adventure" backbacking trips, so I'll do a few of those. May even go on a few moderate family backpacking trips, who knows.

I have mellowed over the years. If you are outside having a nice time, all is good. Nothing extreme needed unless that floats your boat.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

EmergDoc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
I like buying equipment at REI, because they help me choosing and fitting the gear and have a generous return policy. Today, the guy worked with me for an hour and a half making various adjustments until the pack became virtually weightless.

Victoria
That's a cool trick. If I could figure out how to make a pack with 20 lbs of camping gear and 30 lbs of climbing gear in it feel weightless it would really improve the quality of my trips. Maybe I should do some more pack shopping. Mine is 20 years old. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to cut off 5 lbs.
Even amongst ultralight and normal packs, there's a comfort issue. I have always bought Gregory packs which are known for their suspension... and weight. I bought a critically acclaimed REI Flash Pack 62 recently and while the Flash weighs 3 pounds to the 6.5 pounds that my Gregory 95 weighs, the Gregory actually feels better on me. Of course, I haven't hit 30 yet, so I can afford to carry the extra weight.

There are alot of things you can do to lighten up your load, but it all comes down to compromise. There's alot of gear out there that you can buy that will shave ounces but cost significantly more. There's also gear compromises you can make. Instead of a standard stove, make it a can stove? Instead of a tent, get a bivouac? Instead of a heavy duty boot, use light weight breathable boots? I also know some ultralight folks that will go and cut tags off of everything and then go and cut any extra straps as well. I ran into someone doing the entire 2,663 mile PCT trail who's pack was about (as I recall) under 20 pounds. So it's definitely possible, but you will need to do the research, spend the $$$, and/or put in some work to making your gear what you need it to be.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

base weight of most ultralighters is well under 10 pounds, sometimes 7 pounds. That excludes food and water, but still... crazy. I've talked with some of these guys (and they are mostly guys). Their camping is quite austere. I imagine they are cold, wet, and hungry for much of their trip. They'll disagree, but that's because they're a little crazy.
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

EmergDoc wrote: That's a cool trick. If I could figure out how to make a pack with 20 lbs of camping gear and 30 lbs of climbing gear in it feel weightless it would really improve the quality of my trips. Maybe I should do some more pack shopping. Mine is 20 years old. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to cut off 5 lbs.
Try frame-less.

My climbing backpack is 18+ years old and weights less than a few pounds . No frame. It was custom made.

I don't believe in strong connection between "price" & "quality", but I believe in strong connection between "price" and "marketing".
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

REI is overpriced. 9 out of 10 times, you can find the same item much cheaper on another site by just using google search.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

This is going to be the most pretentious thing I think I have ever said (at least on this site):

If you are camping in more than a tent, you are not camping. That is like calling it "boating" when you go on a cruise.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Topic Author
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Rodc wrote:I have mellowed over the years. If you are outside having a nice time, all is good. Nothing extreme needed unless that floats your boat.
We've reached the same conclusion, as we've advanced in age (now in our mid-sixties). Instead of backpacking anymore, our passion is now day hiking in remote public lands. Having a small travel trailer and a jeep allows us to access less-traveled areas of the Northwest, where we can set up a base and then explore remote canyons and ranges on day treks. We now enjoy hiking with much less gear and also the creature comforts of a small trailer to return to at day's end. It also means we can spend 6-8 weeks every summer camping, now that we're retired.

It doesn't offer the sublime simplicity of backpacking — but it does get us out of the house and on the trail.
Whit

Post by Whit »

I voted for tent from a car. I use to backpack, then I had kids. Maybe when they are older.
Bob's not my name

Never did any real wilderness camping until I had kids. Started when they were little fellas.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

RustyShackleford wrote:
REI is great and I shop there plenty. But there is an unfortunate side effect to their vastness. They tend to not carry gear from small or niche manufacturers, because those manufacturers cannot supply the volumes REI requires. Therefore a lot of state-of-the-art gear cannot be had from REI - for example, Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I say this as admittedly a gear elitist, having the funds, at this point in life, to buy expensive gear. For value, REI is hard to beat.
I shop a fair amount at REI but would be interested in some of the smaller companies you are referring to. Where do you do most of your shopping for state-of-the-art gear?
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

yukonjack wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote: REI is great and I shop there plenty. But there is an unfortunate side effect to their vastness. They tend to not carry gear from small or niche manufacturers, because those manufacturers cannot supply the volumes REI requires. Therefore a lot of state-of-the-art gear cannot be had from REI - for example, Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. I say this as admittedly a gear elitist, having the funds, at this point in life, to buy expensive gear. For value, REI is hard to beat.
I shop a fair amount at REI but would be interested in some of the smaller companies you are referring to. Where do you do most of your shopping for state-of-the-art gear?
No particular store or website. Frequently directly from the manufacturer - I think one of the coolest things about the internet economy is that it empowers niche manufacturers, who otherwise would never be able to reach enough potential customers to remain viable. Anyhow, some examples ... Sleeping bags: Western Mountaineering (as I mentioned), Feathered Friends. Backpacks: ULA (the Catalyst and other models). Tents: Stephenson (run by nudists !), Tarptent. The best thing to do is to participate in a forum of folks that do the kind of activity that interests you, and see what they recommend.

I should reiterate that I do not intend to dis' REI. I like them, and I think their products tend to provide very good value. I admit to being an elitist gearhead - as you'll see when you price some of the brands I cite above.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

The forum at Backpackinglight.com is a great resource for learning about lightening your load and recommended cottage manufacturers.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

wingnutty wrote:We have a tent trailer, but haven't been able to use it this year because we had twins this spring. Camping with a 4 and 6 yo is hard enough, but with twins babies it just takes the fun out of it :shock:

I did promise the girls that we would set up the tent in the backyard tonight and then go fishing in the morning though so that is about as close as I can come in the near-term to getting out and going camping.
What kind of tent trailer do you have? We bought one from Costco two years ago. It's made by Lifetime and we love it.

Our kids are 5 and 3 this year, plus a six month old. We decided to take a year off from camping.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

The forum at Backpackinglight.com is a great resource for learning about lightening your load and recommended cottage manufacturers.
Note that one, easily found post there on cottage manufacturers is from 2006.

The Gear Swap forum at BPL is where I acquired most of my previously owned ultralight backpacking gear. Hammock Forums has a buy and sell forum that includes BPing gear. I believe that GearTrade is one too, but haven't been there.

Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips is the best book on the topic, and he has a blog with the same title. The info is on a far different topic than investing, but there are the parallels of reducing weight carried and reducing fund expenses. Recognizing what is enough, works in both fields too. As usual, the knowledge is more important than the tools, but the marketing is about the equipment.

Some of that light, compact gear makes bike camping or car camping easier too, due to the space saved. Posted by an owner of a small, narrow, 4-seater SUV.
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

Dulocracy wrote:This is going to be the most pretentious thing I think I have ever said (at least on this site):

If you are camping in more than a tent, you are not camping. That is like calling it "boating" when you go on a cruise.
I totally agree.
But whatever it is that we're doing, I simply love it and do it as much as possible.

kamo

Post by kamo »

As it so happens we just bought a pop-up tent trailer this week, putting us among 4% of Bogleheads per the poll. The time it took to put up our 8-person tent got too much and the Aspen Classic promises ease of set-up in minutes. Looking forward to testing it out in Colorado and the high desert around Santa Fe, New Mexico in August.

Though we enjoy the comfort of motels and hotels with lots of stars, camping has the advantage of letting you sleep closer to nature and beauty.

For you backpackers, what would be your suggestions to someone in middle age with a weak back who doesn't have any experience backpacking but wants to start doing it with his son? Some 'backpacking for dummies' top ten list, so to speak.
He who knows he has enough is rich. Lao-Tzu
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Dulocracy wrote:This is going to be the most pretentious thing I think I have ever said (at least on this site):

This is exactly how I felt when I was in my 20's and 30's, disliked campgrounds and rv's too. Now I'm 30 ears older, own and use a very small travel trailer, don't miss sleeping on the ground and find a toilet a much needed commodity. I may still dislike rv's but find rv'ers for the most part very nice folks. I still dislike 80% or better of the campgrounds we stay in, and dream about those remote campsites by yourself. PacNorWest has the best of both worlds.
Regards | Bob
kamo

Post by kamo »

texasdiver wrote:Bike touring with a tent is not one of your options but at this very moment I am riding down the Pacific Coast on a tandem with my 10 year old daughter and 75 year old father who is riding a recumbent. We are mostly tent camping at state parks with the occasional hotel or vacation rental scattered in for rest days or to hide out from rain. I am blogging the trip here if anyone is curious: http://kentalind.blogspot.com/

However we do have a large pop-up tent camper that we use for family vacations around Texas and the surrounding states. It is the largest camper I can park on my property or tow with my van so I am limited out in the camper arms race. Anything larger will require paying for storage and a new tow vehicle which isn't in the cards with 3 girls seemingly quickly aproaching college age.
What a great trip. You are giving your daughter happy memories for her lifetime, which is one thing we all want to give our children.

When the siblings reunite in our family its never takes long for memories to recall the haps and, mostly, mishaps we had during our childhood camping trips with 7 people in a station wagon and a pop-up trailer. That gets everyone smiling.
He who knows he has enough is rich. Lao-Tzu
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

In my youth I felt this way too. But the young don't stay young forever, and I am happy to enjoy different experiences as I grow older.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

John Muir might have considered anyone with a tent not camping:
On excursions into the back country of Yosemite, he traveled alone, carrying "only a tin cup, a handful of tea, a loaf of bread, and a copy of Emerson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir#California
Best Wishes, | Joe
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Padlin wrote:

This is exactly how I felt when I was in my 20's and 30's, disliked campgrounds and rv's too. Now I'm 30 ears older, own and use a very small travel trailer, don't miss sleeping on the ground and find a toilet a much needed commodity. I may still dislike rv's but find rv'ers for the most part very nice folks. I still dislike 80% or better of the campgrounds we stay in, and dream about those remote campsites by yourself. PacNorWest has the best of both worlds.
cleosdad wrote:
Simplegift wrote:Do Bogleheads go camping? I'm interested not only in your current mode of camping, but also why you selected the particular equipment you use. What specific features of your current camping equipment and setup do you like or dislike? Do you have recommendations for others?

Feel free to include a small photo of your camping setup or equipment — it may serve to inspire others who may not get the chance to explore the great outdoors this summer!

Personally, now in late middle age, we camp with a small fiberglass travel trailer and jeep — an excellent combination for exploring remote, less-traveled regions of the Inland Northwest.
Wife and I are camping in Rocky Mountain National Park 7/18-7/21. Driving up in my jeep and will use a tent. Only problem is it is very dry and lots of wildfires.
epilnk wrote:

In my youth I felt this way too. But the young don't stay young forever, and I am happy to enjoy different experiences as I grow older.

For the record, I am not against RV's or, for lack of a better term, travel living. I can see the appeal. I just cannot call it camping. :beer
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
simpsonlang

Post by simpsonlang »

One of the best camping pics I ever took.

halfnine

Post by halfnine »

RustyShackleford wrote:
My personal take on REI is that they sale mid-range gear. And the gear they typically stock is also suitable for use around town use in terms of durability, overall function and style. And while you can certainly get these same products cheaper elsewhere what you are really buying is customer service whether that is in the form of boot/pack fitting, advice, or in the warranty in returning gear.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

letsgobobby wrote:base weight of most ultralighters is well under 10 pounds, sometimes 7 pounds. That excludes food and water, but still... crazy. I've talked with some of these guys (and they are mostly guys). Their camping is quite austere. I imagine they are cold, wet, and hungry for much of their trip. They'll disagree, but that's because they're a little crazy.
Most people could substantially lighten their loads by simply upgrading their tent, sleeping bag, and pack to lightweight versions. Upgrading other items to lighter variations generally doesn't provide nearly the weight savings per additional dollar spent. Although, it isn't too difficult these days to get down close to 10 pounds for base weight without too much expense.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

As far as current mode of camping...in a tent in the kids room. But, that wasn't an option in the poll. Maybe in another year or two.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Just spent 9 days/8 nights tent camping... 3 showers. Fine for me and the kids. Dear wife struggled a bit but was a good sport. Wonderful hikes!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

letsgobobby wrote:Just spent 9 days/8 nights tent camping...
I thought you were counting mice for the past few days.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Camping first, then mice. *so* glad those activities did not occur concomitantly.