DuckDuckGo or Tor Browsers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Carl53

DuckDuckGo or Tor Browsers

Post by Carl53 »

Any Bogleheads have any experience with either DuckDuckGo or Tor browsers mentioned in this USAtoday article? They are purported to be more secure from tracking than Chrome and Firefox.
Blues

Re: DuckDuckGo or Tor Browsers

Post by Blues »

DuckDuckGo is a good search engine but I went back to google because the responses were much more comprehensive by and large.

While I use HTTPS Eveywhere, I haven't used Tor.
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

Carl53 wrote:DuckDuckGo or Tor browsers
I am only aware of a DuckDuckGo web site, not any DuckDuckGo software one can download. What am I missing? I use NoScript on Firefox all the time.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

I have no experience with DuckDuckGo but Tor is slow as heck.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Blues

Post by Blues »

Tabulator wrote: I use NoScript on Firefox all the time.
:beer One of the indispensables imho.
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

I have to say, the whole subject of computer privacy and security is a royal pain. Nowadays I pretty much assume whenever I type my bank password that it will be intercepted by a criminal.
Gleevec

Post by Gleevec »

I use Firefox with adblocker, https only, disconnect, better privacy.

Duck duck go can be made to be default search engine in Firefox. Depending on what the majority of your searches are it can be a good search engine. Dont feel like it needs a whole app though (except on iphone/ipad)

Tor is super slow I stopped that experiment after 1 try.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Tabulator wrote:I have to say, the whole subject of computer privacy and security is a royal pain. Nowadays I pretty much assume whenever I type my bank password that it will be intercepted by a criminal.
Or the government.
CokeSlurpee711

Post by CokeSlurpee711 »

DuckDuckGo is a good search engine, but I really don't care that Google knows my business for what they give me (maps, google drive, e-mail) worthy trade IYAM.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

frugaltype wrote:
Tabulator wrote:I have to say, the whole subject of computer privacy and security is a royal pain. Nowadays I pretty much assume whenever I type my bank password that it will be intercepted by a criminal.
Or the government.
Personally I think people are going over the top with this whole privacy thing. Just don't input username/passwords a public computer, as you never know who might be spying on you through software installed on the computer (i.e. key loggers) or by packet sniffing.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let's stay on topic, which are experiences with DuckDuckGo and the Tor browser, as mentioned in the USA Today article, How to fly under the radar online.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bigmantenor

Post by bigmantenor »

As long as you are utilizing an HTTPS connection (usually signified by a little picture of a lock or something similar near your URL bar), you are OK, ASSUMING that your computer doesn't have any kind of underlying infection. I typically take the extra 2 seconds to look at the site's SSL certificate (again, accessible by clicking on the little picture of a lock), just to know that their certificate authority was someone known (such as Verisign, InstantSSL, etc.). I can't speak to the privacy issue, but with regards to security it is pretty straightforward to keep your computer safe from malware nowadays, with high-quality free antivirus (MSE, Avast, Avira, etc.) and Malwarebytes. Honestly, the largest compromises that I see at work (security analyst) are almost always the result of drive-by downloads from shady sites or various forms of social engineering attacks (phishing, spear-phishing, etc.).
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I use DuckDuckGo on occasion when Google is trying to "automagic" too much meaning into my search query. It's more the usefulness of the search results that I care about than trying to avoid any tracking.
g$$

Post by g$$ »

Tor:
I've used it at times when I was more concerned for my privacy. It is sufficient for chatting and email. Not fast enough for online browsing or entertainment.

I no longer use it as I don't have a need for the privacy (or at least it isn't worth the speed decrease to me). There are people that really do need the privacy though (example: dissidents under an oppressive regime) so I've chosen to host a tor relay as a means to help grow the network. It was a bit of a pain to set it up but now that it's up and running I don't even notice it.

DuckDuckGo:
No experiences. I value the personalized results that I get from the big G.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I've used tor extensively on my computer and android phone. Tor is fast enough for browsing but only if you get a good route, if you are seeing it be slow then select "Use a new identity" until things speed up. You should not try to stream video through tor (it isn't what it's built for and it isn't going to be performant for that use).

One thing to keep in mind with tor is the traffic is encrypted internally in the tor network but it has to be decrypted to exit the network, so the end point can sniff any unencrypted traffic. That means make sure you use https for sensitive websites to keep tor operators from sniffing your password. It is also suspected some governments run tor exit relays and then sniff the exit traffic.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Google is definitely getting a bit too creepy - I use duckduckgo and Linux much more than previously.
I expect these disturbing Orwellian developments we are afflicted with will be a huge boost to Linux and open source.
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

hicabob wrote:I expect these disturbing Orwellian developments we are afflicted with will be a huge boost to Linux and open source.
Does that mean we're pretty much relying on sugar daddies like Mark Shuttleworth now? I'm not sure how long that party can go on. Here's hoping to forever, or at least a few decades.
bigmantenor wrote:I can't speak to the privacy issue, but with regards to security it is pretty straightforward to keep your computer safe from malware nowadays, with high-quality free antivirus (MSE, Avast, Avira, etc.) and Malwarebytes.
Are you talking only about Windows or other systems too?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Tabulator wrote:
hicabob wrote:I expect these disturbing Orwellian developments we are afflicted with will be a huge boost to Linux and open source.
Does that mean we're pretty much relying on sugar daddies like Mark Shuttleworth now? I'm not sure how long that party can go on. Here's hoping to forever, or at least a few decades.
Linux existed long before Ubuntu. It will likely exist after Ubuntu. No need to rely on Mark Shuttleworth for anything Linux-related.
bigmantenor

Post by bigmantenor »

bigmantenor wrote:I can't speak to the privacy issue, but with regards to security it is pretty straightforward to keep your computer safe from malware nowadays, with high-quality free antivirus (MSE, Avast, Avira, etc.) and Malwarebytes.
tabulator wrote:Are you talking only about Windows or other systems too?
In that example, Windows. I use about 40/60 Windows/Linux at this point between home and work, and Linux for the most part is far more secure than Windows or Mac OS. I don't have any experience with Mac, so I wouldn't know (though a quick Google search reveals that both Avast and Malwarebytes are available for Mac OS).
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I asked the same question about DuckDuckGo on Nov. 16:
:thumbsup

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 05563&f=11

I have been using it since. Occasionally I'll need to go to Google, but mostly I like getting out of the "bubble":

http://dontbubble.us/

I use it for 95% of my searches now.
serocs

Post by serocs »

I tend not to respond to these types of posts (although I find them interesting). I'm surprised no one has mentioned https://startpage.com/. I have used DuckDuckGo in the past, but I found, as someone mentioned, that google's search results are MUCH better. StartPage actually uses google, but does so anonymously. It is missing some of google's features, but if you are just looking for a private, secure, google search engine, this is where you want to go.
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

bigmantenor wrote:Linux for the most part is far more secure than Windows or Mac OS
Is this true for a default Ubuntu installation, or does that "security" require advanced configuring?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Caution on comparing security between OS. Much of the security is because Linux's default privileges are very low. IOW, you can't do much more than run applications. Windows 7 default privileges allow you to do everything, e.g. you are the administrator. It's a fundamental difference of approaches, Microsoft has traded ease-of-use for security.
serocs wrote:I tend not to respond to these types of posts (although I find them interesting). I'm surprised no one has mentioned https://startpage.com/. I have used DuckDuckGo in the past, but I found, as someone mentioned, that google's search results are MUCH better. StartPage actually uses google, but does so anonymously. It is missing some of google's features, but if you are just looking for a private, secure, google search engine, this is where you want to go.
That's impressive. Go into the SETTINGS page, hit "Generate URL" and you'll get a custom URL containing your site preferences in either plaintext or obfuscated formats. Very nice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

serocs wrote:I tend not to respond to these types of posts (although I find them interesting). I'm surprised no one has mentioned https://startpage.com/. I have used DuckDuckGo in the past, but I found, as someone mentioned, that google's search results are MUCH better. StartPage actually uses google, but does so anonymously. It is missing some of google's features, but if you are just looking for a private, secure, google search engine, this is where you want to go.
+1 for Startpage.

I also use Witopia as a VPN provider - you connect to one of their servers securely (the server doesn't even have to be in the same city you're in), and traffic to and from your computer appears to be coming from that server.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Tabulator

Post by Tabulator »

Raymond wrote:I also use Witopia as a VPN provider
I'm interested in a VPN too but am rather overwhelmed by the number of choices.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Blues wrote:
Tabulator wrote: I use NoScript on Firefox all the time.
:beer One of the indispensables imho.
What is the Chrome equivalent, if there is one? Flash Block? On Chrome, I use AdBlock Plus , Flash Block and Avast's security Chrome add-on.
Northster

Post by Northster »

Another thing to consider is the amount of paid output on Google, either hyping Google products or hyping products Google is paid to hype. I have heard that as little as 18% of Google output is 'organic' search results, untainted by $$$. For that reason I first switched to Bing and now to duckduckgo. One nice little feature they have is a label 'official website' when appropriate.
BachFan

Post by BachFan »

Another vote for Startpage!
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

Northster wrote:Another thing to consider is the amount of paid output on Google, either hyping Google products or hyping products Google is paid to hype. I have heard that as little as 18% of Google output is 'organic' search results, untainted by $$$.
Might want to verify that for your own searches - I just searched for "thread", "bogle", "aspic", and "nike", and only the last had a substantial paid ad at the top, and it did not look to be 92% of the page. (528x241, out of 1200x1300 - to be fair, though, many of the following results were "nike near [ZIP]" results. Those are not paid, but they do tend to be commercial sites.)