Quality Sunglasses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Quality Sunglasses

Post by snyder66 »

I drive for a living and I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses that will last. Are there a pair that will not bend easily, scratch, and not put pressure on your head? Thanks
SimpleGift

Re: Quality Sunglasses

Post by SimpleGift »

Discovered these sunglasses a few years ago and now wouldn't recommend any other kind. They have interchangeable lenses, so you can wear them in all seasons and light conditions. Not cheap, but you can often find the additional lenses online at a discount.

Oakley M Frame Sunglasses
Interchangeable Lenses for Oakley M Frame
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

snyder66 wrote:I drive for a living and I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses that will last. Are there a pair that will not bend easily, scratch, and not put pressure on your head? Thanks
I used to buy quality sunglasses (Revo, Rayban, Serengeti, Nike, etc.) until I figured out that none of them last. The glass ones don't scratch, but they chip. The Achilles heel is often the frame. Figure 3-5 years at most. The Nikes were the most fragile and also the most expensive. The Revos lasted the longest. Heck, maybe the Revos were the most expensive. I liked them the best, FWIW.

So I went to Wal-mart last year and bought their plastic $9.99 sunglasses. They've lasted a year but the first few scratches are appearing, so it's time for a new pair. One thing that has kept them really good is that I use the case that the Nikes came in. It does a great job of protecting any pair of glasses I put in it.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I used to go the cheap mall kiosk sunglasses route also until I got a pair of Oakley's and that was 5 years ago. Since then I put prescription lens in it and plan on using it a few more years. Very sturdy in my opinion. The one I am using is monster dog.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I rock my old man sunglasses: www.fitovers.com
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I also recommend Oakley. They also did not fog up in really humid weather. I have dropped them a few times and they are still in one piece.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

Maui Jims.

If you can find a frame style you like, the lenses are probably pretty close to the best money can buy.

http://www.mauijim.com/

I had a prescription pair for four and half years. Would still have them, but they were stolen when I was in New Orleans a few years back. At a professional conference none the less. Dirtbags at every echelon of society...
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Native Hardtop XP
jjbiv

Post by jjbiv »

snyder66 wrote:I drive for a living and I'm looking for a pair of sunglasses that will last. Are there a pair that will not bend easily, scratch, and not put pressure on your head? Thanks
Check out the Serengeti Drivers lenses. They have a nice tint gradient from top to bottom on the lens which makes it easy to see both inside and outside the vehicle. Get the polarized lenses unless your vehicle already has polarized screens on instruments which can be made to look wiped out by polarized lenses.
rixer

Post by rixer »

I buy Ray Bans. they hold up for years. the last pair I got was also very stylish. I got them at Costco for around 70-80 bucks.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Stonebr wrote:
I used to buy quality sunglasses (Revo, Rayban, Serengeti, Nike, etc.) until I figured out that none of them last. The glass ones don't scratch, but they chip. The Achilles heel is often the frame. Figure 3-5 years at most. The Nikes were the most fragile and also the most expensive. The Revos lasted the longest. Heck, maybe the Revos were the most expensive. I liked them the best, FWIW.

So I went to Wal-mart last year and bought their plastic $9.99 sunglasses. They've lasted a year but the first few scratches are appearing, so it's time for a new pair. One thing that has kept them really good is that I use the case that the Nikes came in. It does a great job of protecting any pair of glasses I put in it.

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
widestance

Post by widestance »

Mingus wrote:Maui Jims.

If you can find a frame style you like, the lenses are probably pretty close to the best money can buy.

http://www.mauijim.com/
^this.
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I've had my Maui Jims for at least 5 years. Stiill going strong. Use them almost every day.

JT
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

El cheapo sunglasses do not work well for me. They tend to look a little cloudy when bright light is off to the side. They have minor distortion that gives me a headache after a while.

By far the best sunglasses I have experienced are my wife's Maui Jims. Amber lenses. Block plenty of light but make the world pop! High contrast even though they block a lot of light. The world is clear and sharp with these babies. They have held up well. But too pricey for me.

I now use LL Bean sport sunglasses. Look plenty stylish, optically accurate, very good all around. Polarized. Only a very small step below the Maui Jims, but you can notice the difference. About $50 (last I bought a pair). Hold up pretty well, though I did pop myself in the left eye pulling an ice ax loose on a climb last winter and scratched them, so they are not bullet proof. :) I like them better than the $120 Oakleys I picked up a trip on a few years ago when I lost an earlier pair of LL Bean glasses (and why I don't like to pay Maui Jim prices).

I went through a few pairs of Oakleys before I discovered the LL Bean. Nothing wrong with them, but no better optically or durabilitywise and more than twice as expensive. Maybe the really high end Oakleys are better, but then we're out of my price range.

I'd put the $50 ll bean glasses up against any $100 or so glasses, if not $200 glasses like the Maui Jims.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
SarasotaJohn

Post by SarasotaJohn »

I will third the reccomendation for Maui Jims. I've had a pair of the Peahi's for over five years and I never had an issue. Last month I dropped them on a concrete floor from six feet high and cracked a lense. I sent them in, had them back in under a week with brand new lenses for $60. I've also heard excellent things about their free service for any defects you encounter.
tacster

Post by tacster »

I have a pair of prescription Oakley's that are the best quality glasses I've ever owned. Crystal clear, razor sharp, and distortion free from edge to edge. I've had them something like ten years and in that time have managed to break the frame twice (not easy to do), and both times Oakley replaced the frames for $50. They're not cheap but if I ever manage to lose or destroy them I will buy another pair.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
swaption

Post by swaption »

Saw costco has polarized Maui Jim's for about $60. I already have a pair. If they are of similar quality that is a great deal.
bigk

Post by bigk »

I've been a big fan of Wiley-X for several years now. They're geared toward bikers and military. I bought my first pair after reading that our special forces use these glasses. Anything that is good enough for our special ops is good enough for me. Very reasonably priced as well.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

tacster wrote:I have a pair of prescription Oakley's that are the best quality glasses I've ever owned. Crystal clear, razor sharp, and distortion free from edge to edge. I've had them something like ten years and in that time have managed to break the frame twice (not easy to do), and both times Oakley replaced the frames for $50. They're not cheap but if I ever manage to lose or destroy them I will buy another pair.
If you get prescription glassed don't you just buy the frames and the optician makes the lenses to the prescription?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
g$$

Post by g$$ »

Check out Warby Parker. I have a pair and would not hesitate to get another if they were lost or broken.
Cash

Post by Cash »

On "quality" versus "cheap," keep in mind that most sunglasses these days are made by the same company, Luxottica: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I checked out a pair of Oakleys. Loved them. I just can't justify paying $190 for sunglasses. Seems to be no middle ground.
stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 »

Cash wrote:On "quality" versus "cheap," keep in mind that most sunglasses these days are made by the same company, Luxottica: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica
Another good reason for Maui Jims, they're not made by them. Love mine, have worn the same pair for 10 years or so.
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Another vote for Maui Jim. Had Ray Ban previously and the Maui Jim have much higher quality lenses. Mine are 3 years old and I find the frames to be sturdy and lenses are the same condition as the day i got them. Incredibly sharp image, very little if any distortion, and the anti-glare is amazing. Can't tell you which model I have, but I'm sure all of their products are up to the same standard
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Where does one find Maui Jim sunglasses? I am not a member of Costco...
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

If you drive for a living and spend all day on the road, I would say having lenses that are polarized is much more important than the brand itself.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I have two pair of $200 Oakley's and a pair of $200 Maui Jims.

I would take the Oakley's over any other glasses. Period. The clarity in their lens is amazing. Maui Jims are nice and are lighter, but I find myself taking them off to read things or see something where I need some clarity. That never happens with my Oakley's.
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

You should look into
http://www.gatorz.com/

Good glasses reasonably priced. They don't do much marketing. Thy are also made in America unless most of other brands.

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/content ... sses.shtml

Thanks,
Energy1912
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

snyder66 wrote:Where does one find Maui Jim sunglasses? I am not a member of Costco...
Try the web. Readingglasses.com, for example.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

I have owned several Oakleys and Ray Bans over the years, but the sunglasses that have really surprised me are the $4.97 fishing sunglasses by 'Berkley' available at Walmart. You can find them near the fishing equipment in the sports area, not near where all the sunglasses usually are. I have two of these Berkleys right now, and one Ray Ban - and I must admit that they perform so remarkably similar that I can never tell one from the other when I'm not paying attention. And, unlike many other cheap sunglasses, they look good enough too. I can honestly say that these cheap Berkleys are one of the best values I have ever found anywhere (the other one being my $14 watch that I bragged about at the Fort Worth Bogleheads reunion :) ).
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

g$$ wrote:Check out Warby Parker. I have a pair and would not hesitate to get another if they were lost or broken.
The NY Times had a favorable article on this company. I have not tried them but am tempted. REI has a good selection of mid range glasses. I have had good luck with Tifosi and Sunclouds. The also sell Maui Jim's.
papiper

Post by papiper »

I use Serengeti Drivers. They have superb clarity. I've stayed away from polarized because of their conflict with many electronic displays in vehicles and handhelds.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Cash wrote:On "quality" versus "cheap," keep in mind that most sunglasses these days are made by the same company, Luxottica: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica
General Motors makes both the Chevy Sonic ($14K) and the Cadillac CTS-V ($63K), or better yet the Corvette ZRI ($112K).

Are they interchangeable?
SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander »

Try JiMarti. In the quality/price spectrum, I think they hit the right spot. Check out the hundreds of reviews on Amazon. After getting a pair, I see no reason to spend any more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WN ... UTF8&psc=1
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.
LamedVavNick

Post by LamedVavNick »

I've been using a pair made by SMITH for a long time, they are my everyday sunglasess for the last 10 years. They are awesome.
Cash

Post by Cash »

Rodc wrote:
General Motors makes both the Chevy Sonic ($14K) and the Cadillac CTS-V ($63K), or better yet the Corvette ZRI ($112K).

A Chevy Tahoe and a GMC Yukon are.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Cash wrote:
Rodc wrote:

Out of many dozens of pairings, two are the same. Therefore all are the same.

Seems to be some problem somewhere in the logic. :)
Cash

Post by Cash »

Rodc wrote:
Cash wrote:
Rodc wrote:

Lol I can think of dozens of cars/trucks across several manufacturers that are essentially the same despite the branding. My point is that brand alone does not indicate quality. I happen to have in front of me a pair of Persol sunglasses, Ray-Ban sunglasses, and Oliver Peoples eyeglasses. The designs are certainly different, but they're all plastic with metal hinges. The sunglasses both have polarized lenses. I can't say that one pair is inherently worth more than the others.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Maui Jims. Stylish, lightweight, durable, great optics.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Cash wrote:
Rodc wrote:
Cash wrote:
Rodc wrote:

Lol I can think of dozens of cars/trucks across several manufacturers that are essentially the same despite the branding. My point is that brand alone does not indicate quality. I happen to have in front of me a pair of Persol sunglasses, Ray-Ban sunglasses, and Oliver Peoples eyeglasses. The designs are certainly different, but they're all plastic with metal hinges. The sunglasses both have polarized lenses. I can't say that one pair is inherently worth more than the others.
I think many sunglasses are functionally interchangeable within a given price range (especially if you stay away from fashion designer glasses and stick to sunglasses from a company that focuses on sunglasses). But I was addressing the post that suggested all sunglasses of any price, $20 to $200, that come from the same company are interchangeable. Chevy Tahoe vs a GMC Yukon addresses an unrelated issue.
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

After reading the comments here, I splurged and bought my first pair of Oakleys. I guess I'll check them out and see if the optics really are superior, but I'm inclined to return them: I was surprised to take them out of the box and discover they're made in China. I thought they were all-American. At least Ray-Ban is made in Italy. This is making it increasingly difficult to justify compared to ~$15 Chinese sunglasses from WMT.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Super Hans wrote:After reading the comments here, I splurged and bought my first pair of Oakleys. I guess I'll check them out and see if the optics really are superior, but I'm inclined to return them: I was surprised to take them out of the box and discover they're made in China. I thought they were all-American. At least Ray-Ban is made in Italy. This is making it increasingly difficult to justify compared to ~$15 Chinese sunglasses from WMT.
Which price range of Oakleys? I have had a couple of the lower end ones, say $120, and can't say I was not all that impressed. Better than any $15 ones I have ever looked at (which I buy for my kids as they break them or lose them, or once in a while because I left my good ones at home), but not better than my $50 ones. People rave about the high end ones, but never owned them.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

Rodc, let me be the third or fourth person to recommend Maui Jim sunglasses with glass lenses (which almost all of them have). Yes, they are a bit pricier. But MJ sunglasses are excellent. Superb viewing, the lenses are polarized which really helps with glare, the glass doesn't scratch, great frames and fit. Also, durable.

My analysis is, I use them every single day. Visual is likely your most important sense, and I want the very best on my eyes. For the price of a steakhouse dinner and wine for two, you can have a lifelong pair of quality glass for your eyes. I've owned one pair for a decade now, have dropped them multiple times, they've been jammed in bags, etc. They still look and function great, not a single scratch on the lenses. After ten years. Bought my chick a pair several years ago. She compared the Maui Jims to her designer Chanel sunglasses, said the view through the Chanel lenses looked like crap compared to the MJs.
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

Which price range of Oakleys? I have had a couple of the lower end ones, say $120, and can't say I was not all that impressed. Better than any $15 ones I have ever looked at (which I buy for my kids as they break them or lose them, or once in a while because I left my good ones at home), but not better than my $50 ones. People rave about the high end ones, but never owned them.
That must be the key, Rodc. I bought the relatively low-end Deviation (without polarization). It's a little too cloudy for me to test them properly today, but now I may be bound for dropping more cash and going for Maui Jim!
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Can't recommend Oakley now that Luxottica has bought them. It used to be the warranty and quality were top notch...
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Super Hans wrote:After reading the comments here, I splurged and bought my first pair of Oakleys. I guess I'll check them out and see if the optics really are superior, but I'm inclined to return them: I was surprised to take them out of the box and discover they're made in China. I thought they were all-American. At least Ray-Ban is made in Italy. This is making it increasingly difficult to justify compared to ~$15 Chinese sunglasses from WMT.
Why does source of supply matter? If they are made with the same quality, it shouldn't matter.

Have you actually been to China?
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Not as well known as some of the others but we like Rudy Project, got them for cycling but they are used as all purpose.
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/
Regards | Bob
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

topper1296 wrote:If you drive for a living and spend all day on the road, I would say having lenses that are polarized is much more important than the brand itself.
I agree (though seeing the patterns in tempered glass on other cars on the road is amusing at first). Glass is excellent optically and highly resists scratches, but if you like big full coverage lenses (one of my friends calls mine "movie star" glasses) you may prefer CR-39 for the weight savings.

I commuted at length for years and polarized lenses made the experience much less stressful. They really do reduce glare in most situations.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Bacchus01 wrote:
Why does source of supply matter? If they are made with the same quality, it shouldn't matter.

Have you actually been to China?
Agreed, it doesn't, quality wise. If you're looking to support companies who choose to manufacture in the US than that's a different story.

For example, Apple products are all made in China, but their product quality is very highly regarded.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

Agreed, it doesn't, quality wise. If you're looking to support companies who choose to manufacture in the US than that's a different story.

For example, Apple products are all made in China, but their product quality is very highly regarded.
Yes, I've been to China many times. Although there are many strong non-quality reasons to buy things made by highly-compensated, highly-skilled workers elsewhere, I don't agree that the quality is fungible.