[Poll] What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Don't go camping
38%
In a tent, carried in a backpack
14%
In a tent, carried in a car
30%
In a pop-up tent trailer
5%
In a travel trailer
6%
In a pickup truck camper
2%
In a camper van
2%
In a motorhome
4%

Total votes: 193

Topic Author
SimpleGift

[Poll] What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Post by SimpleGift »

Do Bogleheads go camping? I'm interested not only in your current mode of camping, but also why you selected the particular equipment you use. What specific features of your current camping equipment and setup do you like or dislike? Do you have recommendations for others?

Feel free to include a small photo of your camping setup or equipment — it may serve to inspire others who may not get the chance to explore the great outdoors this summer!

Personally, now in late middle age, we camp with a small fiberglass travel trailer and jeep — an excellent combination for exploring remote, less-traveled regions of the Inland Northwest.
chaz

Re: [Poll] What's Your Current Mode of Camping?

Post by chaz »

We go on cruise ships.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I voted that we don't camp. I did at one time, a lot of years ago, when there were kids. It was always...always....enjoyable, except when a son set a hollow tree on fire with a hot ash on a fall day with drying leaves on the forest trees. The tree looked like a volcano with high flying roaring ashes spreading out. It was pure panic.
We camped with a tent carried in our car.
Jim

p.s. The spouse and I now camp on ships, trains and hotels.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Tent (and stuff) carried in a car. On several occasions, tent and stuff shipped out to a destination and then carried in a RENTAL car. Our motivation in camping is simply to enjoy ourselves and save a buck; we don't feel any inclinations to purism of any kind. We rather enjoy shopping in unfamiliar supermarkets, and buy supermarket food, including convenience food--maybe we will cook a bannock by the campfire but we are just as likely to put some slices of supermarket ham between some slices of supermarket white bread, and sometimes eat out at local ethnic-restaurant-in-strip-mall places.

You left out a possibility, sometimes called "camping lite," which involves renting a fixed shelter--often a yurt in the U.S.--at the campground. We've never done that in the U.S. but we had a great vacation in the Netherlands in which we rented a "trekker's hut" in a strange complex that seemed to include RV hookups, fairly fancy vacation cabins, permanent mobile parks, athletic facilities, and a (good) restaurant. It was great! The "hut" was almost like a big dollhouse; unlike the usual U.S. "rustic" theme, this was just a miniature house of finished plywood, maybe 12' square, with a small sink, a trickle of cold water, a toilet, a two-coil cooktop, and one dim fluorescent ceiling light. If you paid for the kitchen, you got a key to unlock cabinets with plastic dishes and cheap cutlery and some pots and pans, and if you paid for heat, you got a key to turn on an electric heater.

As time goes on I might be more and more inclined to do it again when traveling in the U.S., as the cost of shipping camping equipment even by ground has gotten to be really... prohibitive.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
crow

Post by crow »

My idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service :). I've been camping once in my life and that was more than enough.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

Embassy Suites
Lon

Post by Lon »

I just love going out into a wilderness area, finding a nice hotel with a big comfortable bed, clean sheets, hot water, wi fi and room service. I just love camping out. :happy
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Wife and I usually drive into a local campground and pop the tent. Use that as home base for hiking/fishing trips. Always considered backpacking but just never got around to it. Now that we are expecting our first kid, we might be taking a break for a few years.

Definatly plan on sticking to the tent. To me anything other then a tent really isn't 'camping'
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Only been in desert areas where it never rains, so no tent. And no motorized vehicle.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

If I go camping it is never at a campground. Last time I went it was a 45 mile river trip with kayaks. Right smack dab in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest. That's camping. Of course that was years ago and now I'm afraid of bear attacks because I read too much. I'd rather go to the beach now.
Last edited by pennstater2005 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
robjer

Post by robjer »

Holiday Inn Express
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Jake46 wrote:Embassy Suites
Same here. I might rough it at a Hampton Inn. :beer
robjer wrote:Holiday Inn Express
Too brave for me. :D
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Tent and stuff carried in a boat. Tent and stuff carried on my back. Tent and stuff carried in a car. Holiday Inn Express. No tent next to car also quite common. Depends on the trip. I don't go camping to go camping. It's just how I sleep when I'm out doing what I'm doing. I never really understood camping for camping's sake.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

In the old days, I did rough camping in the wintertime. I'd go to the state parks, cook over the wood fire, sleep on the ground either by the fire or in a crude pup tent made from a tarp. The state parks would have outdoor restrooms (brr) and maybe a water source.

I miss those days. A health issue makes it a dicey activity these days.

Brian
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I'm surprised to see all the anti-camping comments.

I grew up hiking and backpacking. iPads and laptops and DVDs are great entertainment, but there's something about sitting around a campfire or laying on your back watching the stars that beats all that technology. And to this day I've never had a meal that tasted better than pizza from a hole in the wall on the way back from 8 days of backpacking.

Right now the kids are still young so we're car camping. I hope to get them backpacking when they are a little older. The further you get from the cars, the fewer the people out there. But they are more interesting and more thoughtful. At least that's my experience. And I don't like camping next to late night party drunks, which isn't a problem when you need to carry everything on your back.
doug91

Post by doug91 »

Although I aspire to "glamping," we currently just put a tent in the car.
Niko

Post by Niko »

When I am alone or with friends who backpack, I always carry my tent to the most remote and beautiful place I can find. When I'm with my family, including my young daughter, we car camp. Until a kid is 8 or 9, it is tough to backpack with them.

Never give up the backpack; it will keep you young.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The nested nature of some of the choices suggests singing, all together now, 'round the campfire:

There's a trailer being towed by a car
There's a trailer being towed by a car
There's a trailer--there's a trailer
There's a trailer being towed by car.

There's a boat on the trailer being towed by a car,
There's a boat on the trailer being towed by a car,
There's a boat--there's a boat--
There's boat on the trailer being towed by a car.

There's a bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...

There's a tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...

There's a lantern in the tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by car...

There's a mantle in the lantern in the tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...

There's a spider on the mantle in the lantern in the tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...

There's a leg on the spider on the mantle in the lantern in the tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...

There's a ventral tibial apophysis on the leg on the spider on the mantle in the lantern in the tent in the bag in the boat on the trailer being towed by a car...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Don't go camping and haven't for a number of years. Roughing it is a 4* hotel sleeping with the window open.
When I did camp it was a sleeping bag only. Pull into a spot, toss the sleeping bag on the ground and that was it.
Bob
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Backcountry wilderness camping, preferably on skis. That means: skis, backpack, tent, stove. Have you ever been to Yosemite, Sequoia, etc where you saw only 2 people the entire week you were there?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hotel room, with a comfortable bed and indoor plumbing.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Blues

Post by Blues »

ruralavalon wrote:Hotel room, with a comfortable bed and indoor plumbing.
We just opted to move into a home surrounded by state and national forests literally minutes away. :twisted:
Blues

Post by Blues »

livesoft wrote:Backcountry wilderness camping, preferably on skis. That means: skis, backpack, tent, stove. Have you ever been to Yosemite, Sequoia, etc where you saw only 2 people the entire week you were there?
Yes. When my former backpacking partner and I trekked up to Vogelsang Pass during Thanksgiving week some years ago. We didn't see a soul for a week until we hiked out to Tioga road in fresh snow. Same in the Adirondacks in winter. (I've gone a month in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming without seeing anyone who wasn't in my party.)

In Alaska, after two weeks in the Wrangells the first people we came upon were a group of folks I had hiked with up in Maine earlier that year.
(Admittedly, they had copied my plans for a route in the Kuskulana River area.)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^Very nice!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Blues

Post by Blues »

livesoft wrote:^Very nice!
Thank you. :sharebeer
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

My wife got tired of picking slugs off the bottom of the tent so she built a teardrop trailer.

The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
mike143

Post by mike143 »

My motto has been it isn't camping until you have a bm in woods. My wife won't camp but I have a 4 person tent and a cot. Sleeping on the ground hurts for a big guy like me and I don't trust air mattresses. Camping usually consist of an assortment of firearms, over indulgence in alcohol and cooking a large hunk of meat of over the fire.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

As for camping STYLE...my most recent experience was much more interactive than "glamping", it was "constramping" which is the combination of construction and camping. Camp Tipsy http://camptipsy.com/ involves camping and building rotten boat-like-structures out of junk.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I used to camp a lot when I was able bodied. I had a Ford Econoline van with a bench seat in the back that converted into a bed. The rest of the stuff (5 gal. water jug, Coleman stove and lantern, cooler chest, etc.) was bungee corded to the walls. I covered the bare walls with indoor-outdoor carpeting to kill the sound while driving.

It was my mobile steel tent and I went on many happy trips with it.
pjstack
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

I'm a Sierra Club leader and do a lot of backpacking. My equipment has evolved over time to much more lightweight gear. There's no bad gear at REI, but you start to realize that you need to lighten the load and the best way is to shell out $$$$ for a piece of gear that weighs 1 pound less. If it's a hobby you intend to stick with, I would skip the entry level stuff and go straight to the ultra light stuff.
Trev H

Post by Trev H »

As as Kid my family did some camping. My Dad had one of those Camper Tops that sit on the back of a Truck. It had a small kitchen, and a bed below and bunk beds over the top of the cab area. It was a lot of fun as a kid.

As a teenager and young adult I camped some in a tent, doing a long weekend at the lake fishing... enjoyed that too.

Now -Married - and my wife is not a ruf-n-it camping type gal... If I had a camper with a hottub, kingsized bed and nice kitchen she'd probably go along :-)

Since I am not going to spend that kind of money on a camper.. we will just have to ruf-it at a nice hotel when we go.

Trev H
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I did some car camping in Washington State, Alaska, Utah, and Virginia. I also backpacked in Nepal where Sherpas were carrying tents, food, etc. Now, I am planning backpacking without camping. I will be carrying a pack with the necessities but stay in auberges and refugios.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

covertfantom wrote:I'm a Sierra Club leader and do a lot of backpacking. My equipment has evolved over time to much more lightweight gear. There's no bad gear at REI, but you start to realize that you need to lighten the load and the best way is to shell out $$$$ for a piece of gear that weighs 1 pound less. If it's a hobby you intend to stick with, I would skip the entry level stuff and go straight to the ultra light stuff.
I know what you mean about lightweight gear. I was at a local REI today and bought a new backpack. My old one is about 8 lbs, the new one is 3 lbs.

Right now, REI runs a promotion. If you spend over $100 between 21 and 30 June, you will get a $20 gift card that has to be used between 3 and 15 July. The offer is available only to REI members and applies to online and in-store sales. Here is a link.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

livesoft wrote:Have you ever been to Yosemite, Sequoia, etc where you saw only 2 people the entire week you were there?
I've spent five days in the BWCA without seeing a single other person, but on most routes you do pass other parties.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

EmergDoc wrote: I never really understood camping for camping's sake.
No civilization, no people. Just nature.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

VictoriaF wrote:
covertfantom wrote:I'm a Sierra Club leader and do a lot of backpacking. My equipment has evolved over time to much more lightweight gear. There's no bad gear at REI, but you start to realize that you need to lighten the load and the best way is to shell out $$$$ for a piece of gear that weighs 1 pound less. If it's a hobby you intend to stick with, I would skip the entry level stuff and go straight to the ultra light stuff.
I know what you mean about lightweight gear. I was at a local REI today and bought a new backpack. My old one is about 8 lbs, the new one is 3 lbs.

Right now, REI runs a promotion. If you spend over $100 between 21 and 30 June, you will get a $20 gift card that has to be used between 3 and 15 July. The offer is available only to REI members and applies to online and in-store sales. Here is a link.

Victoria
I have a pickup truck with a camper shell that I use as my tent.
Here is a website for light weight gear: http://www.golite.com/gear/packs
Best Wishes, | Joe
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

JMacDonald wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I have a pickup truck with a camper shell that I use as my tent.
Here is a website for light weight gear: http://www.golite.com/gear/packs
Thank you. Here is my new pack.

I like buying equipment at REI, because they help me choosing and fitting the gear and have a generous return policy. Today, the guy worked with me for an hour and a half making various adjustments until the pack became virtually weightless.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

At my age, no more camping. It's now the Holiday Inn Express. :D
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

We have a tent trailer, but haven't been able to use it this year because we had twins this spring. Camping with a 4 and 6 yo is hard enough, but with twins babies it just takes the fun out of it :shock:

I did promise the girls that we would set up the tent in the backyard tonight and then go fishing in the morning though so that is about as close as I can come in the near-term to getting out and going camping.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Hammock camping in a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. The only way to go.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

The history of man through camping:

Teens and 20s - I was a single, hardcore backpacker
30s - wife and young family; drive up, park, set up a large tent
40s - wife and teenagers; pop-up trailer
50s - wife only; pull trailer with queen bed, air conditioning, microwave, potty in the back.

Man, am I getting soft! :shock:

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Topic Author
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Glad to see that 60% of Bogleheads go camping! Admittedly from a very small sample size, here's a preliminary breakdown:
  • 40%....Don't go camping
    40%....Camp in some type of tent
    20%....Camp in a trailer or vehicle
Good diversification! Actually, since Forum members tend to be a bit older and wealthier than the general population, I expected there'd be more travel trailers and vehicle-type campers (truck campers, vans and motorhomes) — but those Bogleheads who do go camping must be a hearty lot. This is wonderful, thanks.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Don't camp any more but when the kids were younger, for many years we loaded up the car with a big tent, sleeping bags and all the stuff needed for a week-end in the woods.

We usually went to state parks.

Great times, unless (or especially) when we got lost on long hikes.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I didn't vote because I carry my tent on my bicycle.

But, I view my tent and sleeping bag as "emergency" equipment, as well. I only camp when I can't find couchsurfing hosts or reasonably priced motels. I have several camping nithts planned for my next bike ride, which starts just after July 4th, as it goes through National Parks with hiker/biker sites.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

My husband and I love camping. We usually go about every other weekend in the summer. Good, cheap fun. Best place so far domestically was Assateague Island, though it was a bit cold in October. We have a cheap $50 tent from Amazon that deserves a 5 star review after withstanding our night at Assateague with howling winds straight off the ocean. Absolutely gorgeous though. Still doesn't compare to the night I spent camped out when in the outback two years ago. Had a party at the shearing shed, then slept on wool bales under the clearest sky I've ever seen. Just doesn't get any better.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Bike touring with a tent is not one of your options but at this very moment I am riding down the Pacific Coast on a tandem with my 10 year old daughter and 75 year old father who is riding a recumbent. We are mostly tent camping at state parks with the occasional hotel or vacation rental scattered in for rest days or to hide out from rain. I am blogging the trip here if anyone is curious: http://kentalind.blogspot.com/

However we do have a large pop-up tent camper that we use for family vacations around Texas and the surrounding states. It is the largest camper I can park on my property or tow with my van so I am limited out in the camper arms race. Anything larger will require paying for storage and a new tow vehicle which isn't in the cards with 3 girls seemingly quickly aproaching college age.
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

texasdiver wrote:at this very moment I am riding down the Pacific Coast on a tandem with my 10 year old daughter
Don't text and drive, dude.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

VictoriaF wrote:
I like buying equipment at REI, because they help me choosing and fitting the gear and have a generous return policy. Today, the guy worked with me for an hour and a half making various adjustments until the pack became virtually weightless.

Victoria
That's a cool trick. If I could figure out how to make a pack with 20 lbs of camping gear and 30 lbs of climbing gear in it feel weightless it would really improve the quality of my trips. Maybe I should do some more pack shopping. Mine is 20 years old. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to cut off 5 lbs.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Simplegift wrote:Glad to see that 60% of Bogleheads go camping! Admittedly from a very small sample size, here's a preliminary breakdown:
  • 40%....Don't go camping
    40%....Camp in some type of tent
    20%....Camp in a trailer or vehicle
Good diversification! Actually, since Forum members tend to be a bit older and wealthier than the general population, I expected there'd be more travel trailers and vehicle-type campers (truck campers, vans and motorhomes) — but those Bogleheads who do go camping must be a hearty lot. This is wonderful, thanks.
When you start a camping thread on a summer Friday, some of your potential audience may be unavailable due to ... camping.

Victoria