Bogleheads Without Avatars

Discussions about the forum and contents
VictoriaF

Re: Bogleheads Without Avatars

Post by VictoriaF »

ogd wrote:
Default User BR wrote:Obligatory
It's sort of ironic when you consider that an avatar is a chance to express yourself. So here's an obligatory Monty Python for you Brian :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA
Very clever!

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

BestWishes wrote:You asked for an Avatar, I added an Avatar :D
I only added mine a few months ago, with my 10,000th post.

I find that it makes my own posts easier to find when I am continuing a discussion.
Wiki David Grabiner
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I am a Avatar idiot. I searched 100 X 100 pixel, saved to my desktop. Find it on the desktop and hit submit and nothing. What did I miss?
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
black jack

Post by black jack »

Well, I learned something new today.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

Default User BR wrote:Here's one for those desperate to conform:

Obligatory :)

Brian
Heaven forbid, a handful of people here find one anonymous poster's recommendation logical and practical, then follow along with the recommendation on an anonymous website dedicated and named after one person who's investing recommendations are logical and practical. Blasphemy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Those sheep look soft and alive. Are they living softly?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Marmot wrote:I am a Avatar idiot. I searched 100 X 100 pixel, saved to my desktop. Find it on the desktop and hit submit and nothing. What did I miss?
I assume you used "Browse..." to find the icon, then hit Submit. Did you get an error message?

Check that the icon's filesize is under 8 kb. Also, the file extension is an image, like .png or .jpg.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

grap0013 wrote:I feel like a girl with a new dress sporting this avatar!! Pic looks about right for a guy 100% equities fully tilted. I instantly like the first person to name the actor and the movie. No internet cheating! :)
Is it Christian Bale in American Psycho?

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

whoops - watch for copyrights!
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

ogd wrote:It's sort of ironic when you consider that an avatar is a chance to express yourself.
I thought the point of the forum was to share financial news and assistance. I didn't realize it was an "express yourself" party. We doing face-painting next?

Brian
Default User BR

livesoft wrote:Those sheep look soft and alive.
Might be mutton chops now.

Brian
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

grap0013 wrote:I feel like a girl with a new dress sporting this avatar!! Pic looks about right for a guy 100% equities fully tilted. I instantly like the first person to name the actor and the movie. No internet cheating! :)
That's Ash, from one of the greatest movies of all-time, Evil Dead 2. (Just ask Jack Back's character in High Fidelity.)

I knew instantly who it was, but it was hard to tell without looking it up, that it's actually Evil Dead 2, in the scene where all the little evil Ash's come out and try to kill the real Ash, played by Bruce Campbell.

Thanks for helping me to get an avatar. It's been on my to-do list for probably years, but until I got this kick in the butt myself, I couldn't figure out how to do it. I used an iPad. Just searched for "100x100 avatar fire", chose one, held the image until it came up "save image". Clicked that, then went to to an old post, clicked on my name, went to "edit profile" then "add avatar". Then when it said upload image, I clicked it, then chose the avatar I saved as a picture.

Thanks.

Grap0013, "Gimmee some sugar, baby."
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LadyGeek wrote:It's the next one to the right of More, click on Search Tools which brings up a set of menus directly below.

Size, Color, Type, Time, More Tools.
Sadly, I have found no method yet to find just the right size or resize an existing pic when you are on a mobile. I am 99% of the time reading this forum from my mobile and Google's size doesn't let you search by size when you are on a mobile.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Try being a Browns fan. Or a Cleveland any sports team fan:) Betting the Browns will be .500 in a season is usually a very bad bet.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Done.
PJW
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

How disconcerting is it to readers if one should occasionally change their avatar? I might get tired of mine.

BTW Taylor's is my favorite avatar on the board.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I can't find one I like. I'm open to suggestions.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
runner9

Post by runner9 »

pennstater2005 wrote:I can't find one I like. I'm open to suggestions.
Um, maybe something Penn State related?
Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

runner9 wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:I can't find one I like. I'm open to suggestions.
Um, maybe something Penn State related?
Too obvious :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

OnFire wrote: Grap0013, "Gimmee some sugar, baby."
He he.

These are about as good as Taylor's gems. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/quotes

One of these days I'll get around to seeing the Evil Dead movies.
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

Done!
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Confused wrote:
grayfox wrote:If you want to be remembered as an individual, and not as a random poster in the crowd, I recommend choosing an avatar.
I prefer the anonynimity of blending into a crowd when it comes to the Internet.
le droit à l’oubli, oui.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

BrandonBogle wrote: Sadly, I have found no method yet to find just the right size or resize an existing pic when you are on a mobile. I am 99% of the time reading this forum from my mobile and Google's size doesn't let you search by size when you are on a mobile.
I just tested using this online service on my iPhone in Safari and it worked fine. Selected an image from my existing camera roll and resized to 100 x 100.

http://www.image-resizer.co.uk/
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Ice-9 wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote: Sadly, I have found no method yet to find just the right size or resize an existing pic when you are on a mobile. I am 99% of the time reading this forum from my mobile and Google's size doesn't let you search by size when you are on a mobile.
I just tested using this online service on my iPhone in Safari and it worked fine. Selected an image from my existing camera roll and resized to 100 x 100.

http://www.image-resizer.co.uk/
Thank you Ice!! That site worked perfectly. Though my first image didn't look good cropped, I had a backup ready. Looks like a great way to start a morning!
Spades

Post by Spades »

I don't know... a standard start avatar will make it more confusing to figure out who is posting to me because a lot of people will have the same avatar.

I like the way it is. Let people who want avatars to put them up. Still, it is easier when people have avatars.

:sharebeer
Default User BR

Spades wrote:I don't know... a standard start avatar will make it more confusing to figure out who is posting to me because a lot of people will have the same avatar.
I hate forums that do that (yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Fatwallet!).

Brian
enderland

Post by enderland »

I have all avatars disabled so this problem always affects me :)

I suppose I will add one though, just for you, although I don't post a whole ton ;)
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

Cheese_Breath the avatar is cute. But, the online screen name is most memorable. I almost can smell it. How'd you ever come up with that? :wink:

I've been thinking about changing my avatar. I get bored easily.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

SnapShots wrote:Cheese_Breath the avatar is cute. But, the online screen name is most memorable. I almost can smell it. How'd you ever come up with that? :wink:

I've been thinking about changing my avatar. I get bored easily.
I found the screen name of Default User BR memorable. But please don't tell him, or he will escalate his objections to avatars.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

It really is easier to keep track of users and their posts when they have some kind avatar (ahem, especially when they display on the left-hand side).
It's so nice to see all the new avatars being added, so thanks for this thread. The only avatars I cannot stand are animated ones, and that doesn't appear to be an issue at this forum.

I have to admit, I sometimes gloss over brief avatarless posts unless I'm already familiar with the user name. (Not Default User BR's, of course. If your name is "default user", you probably shouldn't sport an avatar anyway. ;-) And certainly not grabiner's. )

I especially like fred_flintstone's avatar of Fred recumbent in a hammock. He looks like a contented retired Boglehead.
grap0013 wrote:I feel like a girl with a new dress sporting this avatar!!
lol, hilarious!
Default User BR

linenfort wrote:Not Default User BR's, of course. If your name is "default user"
I think the sign-up didn't let me be just "Default User". But it was a long time ago and I don't recall for certain.

Brian
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

I love it! Next time I sign up at a forum, I'm going to be "Guest".
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

I had been using the same avatar since 2007 when the forum was setup. Then somebody came along and decided to use the same one...
My signature has been deleted.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I hope I didn't hijack somebody's avatar.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I have had various avatars in the past. I thought maybe they were a waste of bandwidth and possibly slowed the site down a bit so I deleted mine a while back. Since it helps folks track threads, I created a new one.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I got it to work - what is the process to change my name? Obviously Scrat is a better name with this Avatar. Many thanks for getting me this far.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Username changes can only be done by a site admin. It's never a problem, we do it all the time. Just send me a PM with your new choice. Be sure to check that the name is available, i.e. it doesn't match anything in Find a member.

However, you should use caution when using characters that may be subject to copyright. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what constitutes fair use for an image. Aligning a username with your character might be pushing it a bit, I have no idea. Here's some additional guidelines:
Usernames must not violate any of the forum policies, be profane, rude, or otherwise inappropriate, nor may you use a real person's name other than your own.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

The Dude abides!
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Done, but it's not painless.
Spades

Post by Spades »

htdrag11 wrote:Done, but it's not painless.
I've heard you can't teach old dogs new tricks, but what about cats?

:sharebeer
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

I hear ya, this is so me!
"When nothing goes right....go left"
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I agree with grayfox, thanks for starting this thread.

I too associate the replies with avatars. No avatar, then you're a nobody ie I can't id you and I skip your posts.

Such a simple thing to create, why all the confusion?
Default User BR

zaplunken wrote:I too associate the replies with avatars. No avatar, then you're a nobody ie I can't id you and I skip your posts.
So Livesoft, Larry Swedroe, SSCritic, bunch of nobodies?

Oddly, looking at your recent posts, I see that you have frequently replied to people without avatars.

Brian
Redstorm

Post by Redstorm »

grayfox wrote:Some Bogleheads do not have an avatar. I recommend that posters choose a unique avatar.

I was reading the long thread about "if dividends are different" and several of the posters did not have avatars. I had trouble keeping track of which poster had which position and made which point.

I find it easier to sort out what each forum participant has said when I can put a "face" on the poster. Maybe I just remember pictures better. In my view, there are the individual poster with avatars, and then there is a mass of anonymous posters without avatars who I don't remember who they are and are just part of the "peanut gallery".

If you want to be remembered as an individual, and not as a random poster in the crowd, I recommend choosing an avatar.
Tried using a couple re-sizing etc

Gave up trying, Forum is not as user friendly as some others, one I've liked was by vBulletin, very easy to navigate and use
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Default User BR wrote:
zaplunken wrote:I too associate the replies with avatars. No avatar, then you're a nobody ie I can't id you and I skip your posts.
So Livesoft, Larry Swedroe, SSCritic, bunch of nobodies?
:)

7 of the 10 members with the most posts have no avatar. If you're skipping posts by posters without avatars, you're missing quite a bit.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
ursineogre

Post by ursineogre »

I've been inspired to conform. I am a frequent lurker and not very frequent poster, so here is my stamp on my identity.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ursineogre wrote:I've been inspired to conform. I am a frequent lurker and not very frequent poster, so here is my stamp on my identity.
Is that a genie in the bottle?

Victoria
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

VictoriaF wrote:
ursineogre wrote:I've been inspired to conform. I am a frequent lurker and not very frequent poster, so here is my stamp on my identity.
Is that a genie in the bottle?

Victoria
I'm pretty sure the bottle is just :wink: to see you.
PJW
Driver

Post by Driver »

Done.