Bogleheads Without Avatars

Discussions about the forum and contents
ruralavalon

Re: Bogleheads Without Avatars

Post by ruralavalon »

1210sda wrote:How do you add an avatar ??
See this -- how to do an avatar?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

I PMed Nisi a long while back about how to add an avatar. I'm so passive these days that I haven't actively gotten around to adding one. I need to make at least one move during this market volatility and this is going to be it! Goal for avatar by weeks' end.

+1 Grayfox for kicking us BGs in the butt!
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

grap0013 wrote:I need to make at least one move during this market volatility and this is going to be it! Goal for avatar by weeks' end.
So far, the avatar return far exceeds the market return. (No one has deleted his avatar.)

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:I never really found it a problem but everyone processes information a little differently. I've now added an avatar, I hope that helps you out.
I'm not a fan of avatars, but thanks for bringing Veridian Dynamics to my attention :-)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Better_Off_Ted
cheepsk8

Post by cheepsk8 »

Done. Thanks for this thread. When there's all this "noise" in the markets it's always nice to have a "fun" thread instead of all the gloom and doom.
damjam

Post by damjam »

grayfox wrote:Sometimes I just go down the page and read the posts with the same avatar to see what that guy is saying, skipping all the posts without a graphic. So yeah, I often skip over the faceless, unwashed masses to see what the people I recognize by picture have to say about a subject.
Grayfox, I understand your position and obviously I think and avatar is useful as I have one. However, I think it's a mistake to skip posts simply because they don't have an avatar. In my opinion some of the better posters here do not have an avatar. It is by the strength of the arguments that I judge the usefulness of a post, not by a picture. Granted it takes a little more work to follow the flow of the conversation, but I find the effort worth it.

Edit to add: IMHO, If everyone had a avatar they would soon become less useful.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To add an avatar, go to the User Control Panel --> Profile --> Edit avatar: Edit avatar

The limits are: Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 8.00 KiB.

In case anyone is not familiar with the units (KiB), see: Kibibyte

Avatars follow the same forum guidelines as signatures:
Signatures, Location, Website, etc. - To keep the forums readable and the signal to noise ratio high, all profile information, including Signatures and Locations must be free of commercial messages, non-controversial, short, and normal text only (no external links, no images, no line breaks, and no distracting formatting). Locations must be physical locations such as city, state, country or region. The Website field may only be used for your blog or other personal website.
Why did I mention this? My avatar is a QR code.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

runner9 wrote:My 3 year old just looked at all the avatars in this thread:) He best liked the peanut gallery, cheese breath and prudent's coins.
He just made my day/ :sharebeer
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I always just assumed people skipped over my posts anyways :happy I still keep coming back here though.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Ice-9 wrote:
Sorry 1210, I now realize my instructions did leave people hanging on the last step. I edited my post to add this:

Click Browse and navigate to the image on your PC that you've selected to use as your avatar. *

* Note: A good way to find an image of appropriate avatar size on the web is to do a search at http://images.google.com, then click on More to narrow your search. Under the Size drop-down, you could try searching under "Icon" or else use the "Exactly" option and enter the pixel dimensions 100 x 100. Otherwise, you could download a larger image and resize to 100 pixels in Paint or other image software.
Ok, Ice-9, I made it to "More', but I can't see a "Size" dropdown, ........just "Translate, Mobile, Books,Offers, Wallet, Shopping, Blogger, Finance, Photos, Video, Even More"....but that's all.

I'm getting fed up with this, but I want to show my kids that I can do this.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's the next one to the right of More, click on Search Tools which brings up a set of menus directly below.

Size, Color, Type, Time, More Tools.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

1210sda wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:
Sorry 1210, I now realize my instructions did leave people hanging on the last step. I edited my post to add this:

Click Browse and navigate to the image on your PC that you've selected to use as your avatar. *

* Note: A good way to find an image of appropriate avatar size on the web is to do a search at http://images.google.com, then click on More to narrow your search. Under the Size drop-down, you could try searching under "Icon" or else use the "Exactly" option and enter the pixel dimensions 100 x 100. Otherwise, you could download a larger image and resize to 100 pixels in Paint or other image software.
Ok, Ice-9, I made it to "More', but I can't see a "Size" dropdown, ........just "Translate, Mobile, Books,Offers, Wallet, Shopping, Blogger, Finance, Photos, Video, Even More"....but that's all.

The Size option is not under More, it's under Search Tools. Here's a link to the 100x100 pixel images for the search term "1210": https://www.google.com/search?q=1210&sa ... CCoQpwUoBQ
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Default User BR wrote:
grayfox wrote:Some Bogleheads do not have an avatar. I recommend that posters choose a unique avatar.
I do not wish to do so.

Brian
Me neither. I do not find value in "being remembered." I find value in a diversified low cost portfolio and living a comfortable retirement life.
Last edited by sschullo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I disabled display of avatars years ago -- simple is better.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

glaucus wrote:bottomfisher wrote:
Having a difficult time finding likeable avatar that meets the 100 x 100 pixel limitation. Is there a way to convert saved image on my computer from highr pixel to lower pixel resolution?
Save an image and open it up in the 'paint' program (located in 'accessories' under 'all programs'. Then just click on 'image' and 'stretch/skew'. Reduce the image size (remembering to keep the horizontal and vertical reduction the same). Play around 'til it's as small as you need and save it as jpeg.

Hope that helps. :happy
Thanks. Now have avatar. Had some difficulty. In case it helps anyone else - forum software just wouldn't accept my 100 x 100 pixel version. It said it accepted it as opposed to prior error message about too many pixels on regular internet clip art version. But wouldn't post image. Changed it to 99 x 99 pixel and it accepted it.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Alex Frakt wrote:
1210sda wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:

The Size option is not under More, it's under Search Tools. Here's a link to the 100x100 pixel images for the search term "1210": https://www.google.com/search?q=1210&sa ... CCoQpwUoBQ
Alex, Ice-9,et al.......I DID IT !!! Thanks for all your help. I have no clue who this "Bacon" guy is, but it's the first one that worked for me.
Grayfox.....I hope you appreciate this :D
1210 (or should I say Bacon)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

1210sda wrote: I have no clue who this "Bacon" guy is, but it's the first one that worked for me.
Wikipedia wrote:Francis Bacon, 1st Viscount St. Alban,[1][a] Kt., KC (22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626) was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator and author. He served both as Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England. After his death, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.
You should be proud for bringing home Bacon,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Frengo

Post by Frengo »

He was actually good friends with the 1st Earl of Sandwich...
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Frengo wrote:He was actually good friends with the 1st Earl of Sandwich...
I guess they invented the "BLT" :wink:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please, no links to the Saturday Night Live sketch here. (google is your friend :wink:)

If anyone is having a problem with fine-tuning their avatar image, in terms of image quality or getting it to the right size, start a thread in the Personal Consumer Issues so we can discuss image processing software. There's lots of freeware available, it's also a good hobby.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Good idea - Thanks for the impetus.
MrBigglesworth

Post by MrBigglesworth »

Haha great thread -- thanks for the motivation to find one!
LowER

Post by LowER »

I haven't been in any long discussions yet, but now I'm prepared. I hope....
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

I feel like a girl with a new dress sporting this avatar!! Pic looks about right for a guy 100% equities fully tilted. I instantly like the first person to name the actor and the movie. No internet cheating! :)
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Here is my new avatar

DA
nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 »

The deed is done.

Let it be known I was not yet born when the Bengals were good (i.e. the era of their 2 Super Bowl appearances ). However, I have been a fan since the 90s, which were truly dreadful at times. The bad times have transitioned into good times and it's time for a SUPER BOWL run! 8-)
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Okay, I feel like I am an official Boglehead or something. I have an Avatar!!!
A fool and his money are good for business.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

sschullo wrote:
Default User BR wrote:
grayfox wrote:Some Bogleheads do not have an avatar. I recommend that posters choose a unique avatar.
I do not wish to do so.

Brian
Me neither. I do not find value in "being remembered." I find value in a diversified low cost portfolio and living a comfortable retirement life.
Well put, sschullo. No interest in an avatar. I am more interested in being an early retiree (which I have been for 4 1/2 years).
BestWishes

Post by BestWishes »

You asked for an Avatar, I added an Avatar :D
Rosebud

Post by Rosebud »

Grayfox,

You inspired me to go ahead and do it and all of the instructions about how to actually go about it, made it possible. Just bought a new digital camera and am still stumbling about in figuring out how to edit, resize photos, etc. and the tips on going to Paint to resize was something I had been trying to figure out for awhile. So, thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Simplegift wrote:Agree strongly with Grayfox. The avatar column helps us visual types keep oriented in long threads.

Not to highjack this thread, but what happened to moving the avatars back to the left side of the page? This was the original placement before the forum software upgrade and many of us found it a much more useful location — one could spot the avatar quickly at first glance as one moved left-to-right reading a post.

Alex or Sue, is there still any chance of getting the avatars restored to the left-hand side of the page?
Nothing wrong with reading right to left, been doing it for years
My problem with avatars is that I can not find an image I like that fits the technical requirements as to size. Any suggestions on where to search?

And somehow I believe the Peanut Gallery may be oversize and not eligible - although I was a great fan of Howdy Doody (especially Princess SummerFall WinterSpring! Even at age ten I knew I wanted to be in her fan club)
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

1530jesup wrote: My problem with avatars is that I can not find an image I like that fits the technical requirements as to size. Any suggestions on where to search?
You should be able to take one of your digital pictures or one that you find on the internet and resize it like I did to my avatar. I took this picture of Half Dome several years ago in Yosemite.
Best Wishes, | Joe
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

How would you classify an avatar like this one?

Victoria[/quote]

That's a nutty avatar.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Alex Frakt wrote:I'm not a fan of avatars, but thanks for bringing Veridian Dynamics to my attention :-)
That was a pretty good show.

Brian
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

Found one...
cjking

Post by cjking »

This thread has prompted me to turn off avatar and signature display in settings. I've done this in other forums in order to declutter, but never felt the need to do it here before. It's a pity I can't also turn off the poster-profile box on the right of every post as well. As far as I'm concerned, I should just be able to click on the poster name in the main part of the post to get to all that stuff, if I want it, which I never do.

I like to maximise signal-to-noise.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

NightOwl wrote:
grayfox wrote:I find it easier to sort out what each forum participant has said when I can put a "face" on the poster. Maybe I just remember pictures better. In my view, there are the individual poster with avatars, and then there is a mass of anonymous posters without avatars who I don't remember who they are and are just part of the "peanut gallery".

If you want to be remembered as an individual, and not as a random poster in the crowd, I recommend choosing an avatar.
Done.

NightOwl
Awww. I confess I'm a little disappointed since I always thought you were Watchmen Night Owl. Oh, well ... another illusion shattered. :?
max12377

Post by max12377 »

I tried to come up with an avatar that accurately reflects investing in these times.. :sharebeer
c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin »

In this litigious world, I am sure some one will step on a copyright. It is difficult for a few of us to find an image that represents us. If you value only certain posters opinions and not others, why should everyone search for a unique avatar? When you will still ignore their posts. I consider each opinion as having weight and value. I know the administrators must read every post. I am disappointed in some of you.

c.Alvin
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

nirvines88 wrote:The deed is done.

Let it be known I was not yet born when the Bengals were good (i.e. the era of their 2 Super Bowl appearances ). However, I have been a fan since the 90s, which were truly dreadful at times. The bad times have transitioned into good times and it's time for a SUPER BOWL run! 8-)
Oh my Lord I'm not the only one! I watched the second super bowl and instantly became a fan. Then twenty years of losing ensued. I'm still a fan. Who dey.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Random thoughts:

Will the use of avatars mean even more loss of the use of the English language? Are not letters and words significant enough symbols that our brains can see them and make the connections?

Do you read nisiprius's posts for the words or the graphs?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/opini ... major.html

It seems that we might be moving back to the hieroglyphics and symbols that we got away from centuries ago. The Chinese are probably thinking, "Welcom back."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Ask and you shall receive.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

I can't believe it, I have an Avatar. A dream comes true. Wow an Avatar.
Well now we need a better market.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

parsi1 wrote:I can't believe it, I have an Avatar. A dream comes true. Wow an Avatar.
Ask and you shall receive.

Victoria
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

parsi1 wrote:I can't believe it, I have an Avatar. A dream comes true. Wow an Avatar.
Now if only you could program your avatar so it would track the daily market activity I could follow it instead of Yahoo Finance.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Getting an Avatar would require me to impose on my wife... she is the art person.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Dulocracy wrote:Getting an Avatar would require me to impose on my wife... she is the art person.
Being a bit of an artist myself, I feel I can safely say she would consider it a creative opportunity, not onerous imposition.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Here's one for those desperate to conform:

Obligatory :)

Brian
ogd

Post by ogd »

Default User BR wrote:Obligatory
It's sort of ironic when you consider that an avatar is a chance to express yourself. So here's an obligatory Monty Python for you Brian :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

nirvines88 wrote:The deed is done.

being a Bengals fan means never having to say you're sorry
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley