Cheap Razors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Cheap Razors

Post by Leesbro63 »

A while back, on and off, there has been discussion about razors and the cost of shaving. In 2010, I purchased a large quantity of "GOOD NEWS" blue disposable razors on Ebay for about 47 cents each. I rinse and dry them after each morning use and have determined that, for me, 15 days (2 a month) is the appropriate sharpness...even though Clark Howard and others report YEARS of sharpness. That being said, I was recently challenged by male family members that I am not getting a close enough shave blah blah blah. So I bought the top of the line GILLETE FUSION PROGLIDE razor (with $4 blade) and have been shaving with it for a few days. Bottom line: I like the way the handle feels but there is ZERO difference in my shave. I'm going back to the "GOOD NEWS". I'll pay for a Lexus, but why waste money on something with no extra value?
YttriumNitrate

Re: Cheap Razors

Post by YttriumNitrate »

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

I'd never done a proper scientific experiment, but I suspect that 2 blades is the optimum tradeoff between price and performance.

One-blade razors seem to take off a layer of skin.

I'm a big believer in buying no-name products in general, but when buying razors I insist on a brand name (BIC/Schick/Gillette/etc)
core5

Post by core5 »

I've been using a 4 blade razor for a while now (replaceable heads), but I think two or three blade heads cut closer on me.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Use Gilette disposables from Costco. They work great, and after a year they've cost me next to nothing.
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

WendyW wrote
I'd never done a proper scientific experiment, but I suspect that 2 blades is the optimum tradeoff between price and performance.
I do the same. For about 30 years I have been using the 2 blade Gilette Atra system and don't see a reason to change. Only use Schick or Gilette blades, tried cheaper substitutes and keep getting cuts and scratches with them.
A blade with drying after each morning use lasts me about 1 -2 months, so the cost is probably about the same as the "Good News" disposable blades. I can't see how a blade would last for years though..
windaar

Post by windaar »

I've been using a 1960's Gillette safety razor from eBay for the last few years; double-edged blades are cheap and plentiful on Amazon and elsewhere online. Works best with real shaving cream and a brush, also easy to find online. A lot more guys are going this retro route than you might imagine. It's fun to shave how Dad did and after a small learning curve you get some really smooth and close shaves. Here is a resource for all the info you might need:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/
Nobody knows nothing.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I've had good luck using bulk packages of the Gillette Sensor 3. You can get 'em cheap at the usual places and I get quite a few shaves out of them before needing to replace.

Much more cost efficient than replacing the cartridges on my old Gillette razors (which I haven't done now for going on ten years).

The "Good News" and some other razors from Schick and other brands just didn't cut it for me. (Sorry for the pun. :P ) Too much razor burn and failure to get a close shave.
Auream

Post by Auream »

I recently switched from Schick Quattro razors to Dorco 4-blade razors. I get just as good of a shave, but instead of ~$3/blade I paid $27.40 for 32 blades for me and 15 for my wife, or a little over 50 cents a blade. This was using a coupon online, but even without a coupon you'll pay less than half if not a quarter of the price of name-brand 3 or 4 blade razors.
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Post by SomeoneWhoIsntMe »

I use the cheap bic razors, I like them because they don't shave as close so you get less irritation. For ultimate cost savings, grow a beard.
John Z

Post by John Z »

Blues wrote:I've had good luck using bulk packages of the Gillette Sensor 3. You can get 'em cheap at the usual places and I get quite a few shaves out of them before needing to replace.
I've found Sensor 3 blades to be the best and last the longest for my face/beard. Could you please tell me where to get them in bulk? They are difficult to find even in retail stores so would appreciate knowing where to buy them at a discount. They no longer go on sale and coupons have dried up over the years. Thank you,
John
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm nine months into my current blade.
Gordon
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Honing works with Gillette fusion blades. I seem to use one blade every 6 months or so, but I don't shave that often.

Gillette razor handles come free in the mail every year. I suppose you have to live in certain ZIP codes to get that kind of marketing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I usually buy some two-blade disposables with a lubricating strip, or without the lubricating strip, or a single blade, or a triple blade. Whatever I can find that's cheap. I try not to use single blades. They cut my face for some reason, probably I press too hard with them.

I shave about twice a week, which is not often enough but I just don't care. Have shaved twice a week for decades. I'm sure it hasn't helped my career but probably has not hurt it that much either. I do have a light colored beard but it's pretty obvious when I need a shave anyway. I try to shave Sunday night and Tuesday night because then my worst beard is on Friday and that's casual dress anyway. No time to shave in the mornings plus it's dangerous because I'm not totally awake yet and usually late so in a hurry.

My one insistence: when that blade goes dull, it's into the trash. I will not shave with a dull blade. But at twice a week a blade lasts a month or more easily. I don't know for sure because I go by the feel. The minute I get some drag or it feels dull, I chuck it in the trash.
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Blues

Post by Blues »

John Z wrote:
Blues wrote:I've had good luck using bulk packages of the Gillette Sensor 3. You can get 'em cheap at the usual places and I get quite a few shaves out of them before needing to replace.
I've found Sensor 3 blades to be the best and last the longest for my face/beard. Could you please tell me where to get them in bulk? They are difficult to find even in retail stores so would appreciate knowing where to buy them at a discount. They no longer go on sale and coupons have dried up over the years. Thank you,
John
John, by "bulk" I meant 8 or 12 packs that I had come upon in local walmart, k-mart or online stores. (I buy them so rarely I don't keep up with them.)
Occasionally, I've just come across them on sale while picking up odds or ends. There was another disposable three blade Gillette model I liked as well but now I can't remember which one it was. I think it cost less than the Sensor but it's been a while now.
arbogast777

Post by arbogast777 »

Put the plastic cheese graters away.

A safety razor with double edge blades is the only thing you should be using.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

I'll pay for a Lexus, but why waste money on something with no extra value?
Does a Lexus really have that much extra value than say a Toyota?

I just tried the cheap orange plastic razors and they did the job but left me nicked up a bit... I'm going back to my Mach 3 when I'm done with these but damn right, it seems a good razor is like gold! Might check out your blue razors at some point down the line.
Blues

Post by Blues »

When I once tried the Bic disposables, they left me a bloody mess. I thought I was going to have to apply a tourniquet around my neck. :oops:

:P
Abe

Post by Abe »

windaar wrote:I've been using a 1960's Gillette safety razor from eBay for the last few years; double-edged blades are cheap and plentiful on Amazon and elsewhere online. Works best with real shaving cream and a brush, also easy to find online. A lot more guys are going this retro route than you might imagine. It's fun to shave how Dad did and after a small learning curve you get some really smooth and close shaves. Here is a resource for all the info you might need:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/
Yes, a lot of people are going back to what they call wet shaving which is just shaving with a double edge razor or even a straight razor and using a shaving soap or cream applied with a shaving brush. I have a couple of Mekur double edge razors (made in Germany) and a few old Gillette double edge razors. You can get Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap, 2.5 Oz at Walmart for $1.59 which should last about two months. You can make your own preshave oil. Just mix one part castor oil to two parts virgin olive oil and add a few drops of tea tree oil but that is optional. After shaving, splash on a little Osage Rub for a refreshing wake you up cool feeling and old barber shop smell. My barber orders the Osage Rub for me from a barber supply house. It cost about $6.00 for a 14 oz. bottle I think. The Badger and Blade web site is a good place to get all kinds of information about wet shaving. There is also a lot of information on You Tube. Just put in "wet shaving" in the search window.
Last edited by Abe on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

ain't nobody got time for dat

lol
Blues

Post by Blues »

I had enough shaving like Dad did while in college...when a Schick "injector" was some kind of newfangled gadget. :D

Used to have a pretty nice setup with German boar brush, soap and razor but the routine got tiresome for some reason.

Now at least the brush comes in handy for little tasks around the shop. LOL!
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

The super cheap Dollar Tree ones (5 for a dollar) or similar off-brands are just too painful.

The 5 blade super deluxe brand name ones cost a small fortune (except the freebies in the mail), but work great.

Electric razors just don't work well.

So I find the best happy medium is Good News.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Boglenaut wrote:The super cheap Dollar Tree ones (5 for a dollar) or similar off-brands are just too painful.

The 5 blade super deluxe brand name ones cost a small fortune (except the freebies in the mail), but work great.

Electric razors just don't work well.

So I find the best happy medium is Good News.
You might try the Mach 3 blade. Walmart has them for around $14.00 for a 5 pack which is $2.80 per blade. I used to use them and I got about 30 shaves per blade, a cost of around .10c per shave. While you are at Wally World, pick up a puck of Van Der Hagen shaving soap and apply it with a brush. Try it, you'll like it. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Auream wrote:I recently switched from Schick Quattro razors to Dorco 4-blade razors. I get just as good of a shave, but instead of ~$3/blade I paid $27.40 for 32 blades for me and 15 for my wife, or a little over 50 cents a blade. This was using a coupon online, but even without a coupon you'll pay less than half if not a quarter of the price of name-brand 3 or 4 blade razors.
+1, I was also a former Schick Quattro user. Dorco works as good as anything else I ever tried. Order enough to get free shipping, probably won't need to restock for 2-3 years. Found out about Dorco after a lifehacker.com article about dollarshaveclub.com and where they were getting some of their razors. Back when I ordered them I bought the 6 blade women's razors, they were cheaper than the men's 6 blade and were the exact same, just different colors. Looks like they prices are the same now.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

WolfpackFan wrote:
Does a Lexus really have that much extra value than say a Toyota?
No, but I buy 'em anyway :shock:
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

You can also extend blade life by shaking out excess water after using, tamping it on a towel, and giving it an air blast from a can of dust off with the red concentrator tip attached to the can's nozzle: Nice and dry = longer life.
Blues

Post by Blues »

frequentT wrote:You can also extend blade life by shaking out excess water after using, tamping it on a towel, and giving it an air blast from a can of dust off with the red concentrator tip attached to the can's nozzle: Nice and dry = longer life.
I do the same, but rather than compressed air, I prefer my Hama Hurricane Blower Brush (or reasonable substitute). Great for telescopic lenses, keyboards or anything requiring a forceful blast of directed air.

And in keeping with Bogleheadedness, it's more economical over time as well. :wink:
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I hit it with the blow dryer as I dry my hair.
HGPennypacker

Post by HGPennypacker »

I've been using DollarShaveClub.com for about a year. I get four four-blade razors for $6 a month. The quality is quite good. I also have Schick Quattro. Upon receiving my first dollar shave club razor I compared the two and they appear to be the same blade/handle without the one saying "Schick" on the handle. They also have options with fewer and more blades. It's not as cheap as $.47 a blade, but cheaper than a similar blade from the store. Just another option in the cheap razor game.
atwood

Post by atwood »

Leesbro63 wrote:I hit it with the blow dryer as I dry my hair.
That's what I do as well.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Try a double edged safety razor with an assorted pack of blades. I use a Merkur and have settled on Astra Super Platinum blades. They run about 10 cents a piece. I was amazed at how different the various blades performed, particularly irrespective of price. If you can get a great shave from a run of the mill disposable, more power to you, but so much depends on your skin and your beard. You likely won't know works best - or what a good shave is - until you try a LOT of blades.

JT
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Is it really too much to ask, a reasonably priced disposable that a guy can get a couple of lunar cycles out of?"
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Back in the days when 8GB was the size of my computer's hard drive and not memory, I acquired two Gillette Sensor razors that I have somehow not lost or broken yet. The Sensor "system"'s twin blade cartridges, which were considered state of the art weaponry at that time, are still available at Walmart/Amazon at roughly $2/piece. I run through 3 or 4 every 2 months. Does it make sense for me to switch to dollar shave club.com (isn't it more like a 3dollar shave club, including shipping?) ??
Last edited by Sunny Sarkar on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
fatlever

Post by fatlever »

Every time I buy razors, I feel like it's burning a whole in my wallet. I've always wondered why they're so expensive.

This thread finally got me to take some action. I use the Gillette Sensor Excel and I ordered a 20 pack of generic replacments

20 Gillette Sensor Excel compatible razor blades. Price per blade: $1.27

http://zilostore.com/20-gillette-sensor ... or-blades/

Zilostore seems to have great reviews with these blades so I hope they're good. BTW, I've stuck with the twin blade Sensor Excel since I started shaving as a teen. I know every year they add more blades. I tried the triple blade when it came out and it sliced up my face. Do you really need 15 blades to shave?
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

It also is individual dependent. Some have coarse hair, some fine. Some have sensitive skin, some don't. So different qualities of razors suit different folks.

Me personally, I can shave with just about any razor & be fine, so I go with the cheapest disposables, & each one lasts a month. But I think a more economical way if one does shave daily is to just get an electric. May not be razor close shave, but sure saves a heck of a lot of razors & better for the environment in the long run. My wife prefers the scruffy look so I shave only every few days. To each his own.
Dadarkar

Post by Dadarkar »

I've been using DollarShaveClub.com for about a year. I get four four-blade razors for $6 a month. The quality is quite good.
'
1+. I use 5 Cartridges per Month for $1. These have 2 blades and delivered to your home free. I am happy with the quality
https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Dadarkar wrote:I've been using DollarShaveClub.com for about a year. I get four four-blade razors for $6 a month. The quality is quite good.
'
1+. I use 5 Cartridges per Month for $1. These have 2 blades and delivered to your home free. I am happy with the quality
https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
The razors are from Dorco, save yourself some money and buy them direct.

lifehacker.com: Forget Dollar Shave Club; Buy the Same High Quality Razors for a Third of the Price

smartmoney.com: Does Dollar Shave Really Save?
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Braun electric razor, morning and evening, followed by a Gillette Fusion. I first hone the Fusion on my forearms 20 times and pat dry it when done. Replace both set of blades every 6-8 months.
mhc

Post by mhc »

gkaplan wrote:I'm nine months into my current blade.
I'm 6 months on 1 blade. I am going for 12 months. I hone it on a towel before every use. It is as sharp today as when I first used it.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

mhc wrote:
I'm 6 months on 1 blade. I am going for 12 months. I hone it on a towel before every use. It is as sharp today as when I first used it.
How do you "hone" a plastic disposable razor and for sure how do you do it on a towel?
arbogast777

Post by arbogast777 »

Leesbro63 wrote:
mhc wrote:
How do you "hone" a plastic disposable razor and for sure how do you do it on a towel?
I assume what he does is drags the razor forward on the towel about 20 or so times.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I have a non-disposable 3 blade razor. I think it is a Gillette (sp?).

I lay my hand towel flat on the sink counter. I drag the razor on the towel 10-20 times in the opposite direction you would shave. It should work for a disposable razor also.

There are youtube videos on this. The first video I saw used bluejeans instead of a towel.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

For the last 20+ years, I have used Bic METAL razors which are made in Greece. They have been off the market here for the past 10-15 years. Fortunately, I bought 300 of them years ago (thanks to a friend who saw them at a remote Walmart store.)

The razors cost about 25 cents each and generally last 45-60 days.

No other BIC razor is worth using.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I shave with an electric beard trimmer. I think it has to be king of cost effectiveness.

Sure, it's not as close as a blade, but I like it that way. No cuts.
Nahum

Post by Nahum »

I shave like my grandpa. Some say it is time consuming but I enjoy it. It is the cheapest way for me to shave. I used to use Mach 3 blades but I stopped because it was way to expensive. Last summer I purchased a pack of 100 Derby DE blades for $10, it has been a year now and I still have blades to last for this year. I recommend wet shaving.
jdb

Post by jdb »

I have a heavy beard and have spilled far too much blood over the years to use just any blades. The thought of using a straight edge and shaving like my father did in the 1950's would make me put the hospital emergency dept into my speed dial. Have tried them all and finally settled on Gillette Mach 3 disposables, only razor that I will buy.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Leesbro63 wrote:
mhc wrote:
I use a leather belt to hone my Wilkinson disposable razors :happy
Last edited by Toons on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Saleen

Post by Saleen »

Another vote for the double-edged safety razor here. I don't think its really a debate, or at least it shouldn't be, for bogleheads. Bought 100 pack of Astra Premium razorblades on Amazon for $10.

If you shave right after a shower it doesn't take any longer than shaving with a mach 3 once you get the hang of it. Having two edges sometimes I feel like it even goes faster.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Leesbro63 wrote:I hit it with the blow dryer as I dry my hair.
Some of us do not have enough hair to use a blow dryer. It seems to migrate to my ears and other locales. :annoyed
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.