Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
G12

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Post by G12 »

Barefootgirl wrote:G12, I am curious, since you are consuming little red meat...are you using your smoker for? chicken, fish ? other food items?

Also, WRT agave syrup = lots of fructose. Just FYI, not triggering a debate...your own due diligence of course.

BFG
Pizza, chicken, big portabella mushrooms, various types of fish, grilled veggies, etc. I gave up cooking steaks and fatty meats, etc at high temps, 550-600 degrees, due to potential concerns about HCAs and PAHs after being diagnosed with colon cancer. Not saying direct causation, but why not just avoid it?

She knows about the sweetener, I don't use sweeteners. She is very fit and a squirt or two in coffee isn't affecting her. I do use turbinado sugar in some BBQ rubs.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

I will agree with the Weber grills - been like that a long time too. Anyway I bought a Genesis Silver back in '04 when I bought my first house. 10 seasons later it's still in great shape and I am not at all good about keeping it clean.

Lawn Tractors/ZTMs' - bought a bottom barrel Craftsmen for <$1000 when I bought my 2nd house in '09. It was pretty much done after 4 years of light residential use. Bought a very beefy Husqavarna with a better motor for almost $5K. Check back in 10 years but it is clearly more robust.

Hand Tools - now here Craftsman is usually pretty decent for most people, plus the free replacement is nice. I prefer the pricier Snap-On for ratchets though. Have had crap luck with Cobalt/Stanleys over the years.

Power Tools - Good luck with DeWalt and Milwaukee. Not so much with Ryobi. Craftsman so/so.

Cars - I've honestly had very good luck with GM for years, including some of their posterchildren for their decline - Firebirds/Blazers. The most problematic I had was a '03 Seville, which are notoriously bad Caddys (as are most from the mid-90s through the mid 00s). GM makes some very good, quality vehicles these days. Toyota and Honda are not without warts BTW. Honda had problems with their 4-speed automatic transmissions on the Accords and Acuras for years in the late 90s-mid 00s. Toyota had sludge issues on the 3.0L V6's. I also could not get over the fact Honda's still needed routine valve adjustments well into the 2000s, the last GM car needing such was a '72 solid roller LT1 350 in the Vettes and Camaros. And the timing belts were certainly less robust than chains favored by the domestic makes. That's also not to mention Toyota's stuck accelerator fiasco, though IMHO it was much overblown. Toyota and Honda built a reputation on quality through the 80s and 90s while GM and Ford destroyed theirs, and the unfortunate fact of life is it takes a long time for perception to change, regardless of reality.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Tumi leather products
Allen Edmonds shoes
Gym membership (before i built a home gym) - I was paying $70/month instead of $30/month to have access to the Ultra Sport 24Hr Fitness - can't even compare it to a basic "Active" or "Sport" gym, which are always crowded and dirty.
Tailoring services - not that this is a "premium product" per se, but I always pay an extra $10-$20 to get all my shirts and dress pants tailored (i try to buy them on sale as much as possible)
Dental care - not a "premium product" either, but I still make a 50 mile drive to go see my dentist (who used to be 3 minutes away from me when I lived near his office); he is definitely more expensive than other dentists i've been to, and not nearly as convenient given the location, but I've never had such good dental work or service from another dentist.
Topic Author
Goodman60

Post by Goodman60 »

My THERMOPEN arrived today. Fabulous. Thank you for the recommendation.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Goodman60 wrote:My THERMOPEN arrived today. Fabulous. Thank you for the recommendation.
Mine came yesterday and thanks for the recommendation. I haven't cooked with it yet, but hope to this weekend.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I impulsively ordered Vietnames coffee based on this thread, lOL - it arrived yesterday and now I need to consider if it begs for a different preparation method than my usual beans.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
swaption

Post by swaption »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Goodman60 wrote:My THERMOPEN arrived today. Fabulous. Thank you for the recommendation.
Mine came yesterday and thanks for the recommendation. I haven't cooked with it yet, but hope to this weekend.
Look forward to hearing how it goes. I can say that I have posted exensively over the years on all things investment related. I just wish that any of those could have garnered even a fraction of the enthusiasm as my Thermapen recommendation. Among this crowd, this is quite ironic, given that this form of premium product costs 5 - 10 times a very reasonable alternative. Beyond just pure utility, this also scores well on the "let me show you my new toy" factor for your next backyard bbq.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Space and weight being in short supply pretty much everything that fits in my travel pack is a premium product.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

swaption wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Look forward to hearing how it goes. I can say that I have posted exensively over the years on all things investment related. I just wish that any of those could have garnered even a fraction of the enthusiasm as my Thermapen recommendation. Among this crowd, this is quite ironic, given that this form of premium product costs 5 - 10 times a very reasonable alternative. Beyond just pure utility, this also scores well on the "let me show you my new toy" factor for your next backyard bbq.
As I learned (again) in buying my children's hockey gear (especially my daughter's goalie stuff), the cheap turns out to be expensive. I expect this will be the last cooking thermometer I buy. I would have saved money if I had purchased BrIan's SubZero goalie pads in the first place.

So, let me add to the list:
Brian's goalie equipment
Bauer pro goalie helmet (Kevlar)
Zojirushi rice cooker
Linn loudspeakers
LED lightbulbs
SSD drives on MacBooks
Chubb insurance
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

Supermarket Bagels and Bread.
There's a big difference between the $2 loaf and the $4 loaf, or the 6-pack of grocery store bagels vs. Thomas'.
You only live once, who wants 2 loaves of yucky bread when they could have one good one.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Barefootgirl wrote:I impulsively ordered Vietnames coffee based on this thread, lOL - it arrived yesterday and now I need to consider if it begs for a different preparation method than my usual beans.

BFG

Vietnamese coffee is made with these ....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LKSS5Q/ref ... B002LKSS5Q

then served over ice with condensed milk - soooo good - at least that's how the pho restaurants around here make it
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

hicabob wrote:Vietnamese coffee is made with these ....
Kopi Luwak coffee (one of the most expensive in the world) is made with these ....

Definitely a premium product that is NOT worth it to me.
maroon

Post by maroon »

XM radio. (I don't think this one has been mentioned yet.)

Before I got XM radio, I thought it was crazy for people to pay for something (radio) they could get for free! Then my job moved to a location 30+ miles away, so I subscribed to XM radio and I LOVE it. XM radio makes my daily commute much more pleasant; I'm now happily paying to have lots of music and no commercials.
JSMill

Post by JSMill »

Bose noise canceling headphones
texasred

Post by texasred »

Bunn Coffee Maker--good quality coffee
Apple products
Good quality meats and vegetables
Pots, pans and dinnerware
Vacations
Good quality furniture
ESK

Post by ESK »

Mason Pearson hair brushes. I still have (and use) the one I was given for my birthday 35 years ago. I bought them for my daughters.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I bought a new Macbook Air today. The expression on the face of the Apple Babe when it locked up while she was setting it up was just priceless. Her colleague was stymied as well. They didn't know what to do, so I told them to power down and power up again which did work. "You'd know that trick if you had ever used Microsoft Windows."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nikoncfa

Post by nikoncfa »

Benchmade Knives
Cusinart
Shun Knives
Anything Golf related
BMWs and anything performance related (I track my car)
Restaurants
Sport Equipment in general

...Tons more I can't think of right now :)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

livesoft wrote:I bought a new Macbook Air today. The expression on the face of the Apple Babe when it locked up while she was setting it up was just priceless. Her colleague was stymied as well. They didn't know what to do, so I told them to power down and power up again which did work. "You'd know that trick if you had ever used Microsoft Windows."
The "high-tech" term for that technique is "cycle power."
Donnie Baseball Fan

Post by Donnie Baseball Fan »

German and Japanese writing tools.
German knives.
Good shoes.
Reliable cars.
Some organic food.
Imported Cheese.
Costco membership.
Smoked salmon.
Sushi.
Vacations.
DJB

Post by DJB »

Mattress and bedding - My Sterns & Foster cost an organ but totally worth it. I sleep like a baby.
Produce/Dairy/Meat - Tastes better and healthier
Bath products - I feel a little metro, but it feels better than that chemical crap
Dress shoes - Cheaper in the long run and much more comfortable
Musical instruments - More enjoyable to play and true works of art
Nephron

Post by Nephron »

ECCO brand dress shoes- Lasts for years. Attempted to pay slightly less for other premium brands=back pain for weeks.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

There have been some interesting comments about cars, especially American cars. My spurge has been a new 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE that I plan on using for road trips in the Western US.
Best Wishes, | Joe
core5

Post by core5 »

Paper Towels
Headphones: Shure SE215 and Westone 4R, currently.
Computer Parts: especially PSU and Display
Bridgestone Tires
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I use first class stamps.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

VictoriaF wrote:I use first class stamps.

Victoria
Be careful that may push your retirement back a little. That is of course unless you're already retired :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pennstater2005 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I use first class stamps.

Victoria
Be careful that may push your retirement back a little. That is of course unless you're already retired :D
I am pushing it,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Suits.

A really nice suit (around $1,000) will last a long time and look great even after a decade of use.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
jda

Post by jda »

Expensive cars
kidsgone

Post by kidsgone »

Lexus
Luxardo cherries (for cocktails) in 12 lb cans
Iphones and Ipads
Ping clubs
Italian leather shoes
Ged

Post by Ged »

Thorlo Socks
hudson

Post by hudson »

Feathered Friends sleeping bags and garments because I do winter backpack trips and I wanted quality, light, and warm.
Spyderco Tasman Salt "hook bill" (hawkbill) knife because I used to have a job where being able to cut a rope quick was important. Now I just open boxes...or sometimes strip cable. Easy open...one hand...no spring.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Barefootgirl wrote:I impulsively ordered Vietnames coffee based on this thread, lOL - it arrived yesterday and now I need to consider if it begs for a different preparation method than my usual beans.
The 2 ways we like to brew Vietnamese coffee are:

1) French press w/ 190-200 F filtered water 5 mins for full bodied flavor;
2) Cold brew w/ room temp filtered water for at least 12 hours (less acid, less bitter, more subtle, excellent for iced coffee or affogato)
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I was amused to note the Thorlo socks listed. I had the hardest time working myself around to paying $10-15 for a pair of socks years ago, but finally bought some for a backpacking trip. After I got back, I kept finding myself reaching for them first in the drawer, and finally worked myself around to buying them for everyday use. My feet tend to sweat a bit, and those socks keep them dry and comfortable. Now the only time I wear anything else is the once or twice a year when I pull out dress shoes and a suit.

First/Business class airfare is one of those subjects I go around in circles on. I dislike flying in coach, and the general hassle of flying in any case, so I don't build up FF miles for upgrades. So when it comes time for the long international flights, I hate putting out the cash for the upgrade. For the time being, I reconcile myself to coach by framing it this way: I'm paying myself $100/hour tax-free to sit in a cramped seat for a few hours. On the other hand, I'll nearly always rent a car at my destination (unless it is a city where parking is a huge hassle), because I don't like being dependent on others (or taxis) for ground transportation.

Seats for sporting events are something where I will often pay a premium. I'm not a huge sports fan, but I find the games I do go to much more interesting up close. Hockey from the 5th row seats is entirely different than hockey from the upper deck.

Snap-On tools are one of those things that I'm a bit mixed on. I still use some of the Snap-On hand tools my dad bought 70 years ago, but he couldn't afford a full set then. I've bought a few select pieces myself, but I also use a mix of Craftsman and other stuff because the cost for Snap-On is so high.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

curmudgeon wrote:Seats for sporting events are something where I will often pay a premium. I'm not a huge sports fan, but I find the games I do go to much more interesting up close. Hockey from the 5th row seats is entirely different than hockey from the upper deck.
Since I got a 72" TV, I much prefer watching games on a DVR from home. I can skip past commercials (or at the rink, TV time-outs), the PA system isn't "deaf-defyingly" loud, the intermissions go by in around 30 seconds, I'm in charge of the replays, and if the game isn't very good, I get to turn it off without feeling guilty about what I just spent (assuming NHL prices; college, high school, and youth games are different). 72" might seem like overkill, but when my wife and I try to watch hockey on our 40" set in the bedroom, it really doesn't work.

And, a plug for the upper deck: we're usually in the lower rows ourselves, but one time we were up in the nose bleed seats (seats were free since my daughter was a goalie in an between periods shootout competition). It was interesting that my son really enjoyed it because he got more sense of positioning and strategy.

I admit that there are times when being in the crowd is a lot of fun, and we usually go a few times to a live game. Just my $0.02
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I was recently in the market for a couple of folding chairs, and a colleague recommended the Stakmore brand.

Got them in yesterday. They are fantastic! Who knew? I'm never going back to those flimsy, cheap, metal jobs.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Rusa

Post by Rusa »

bengal22 wrote:graeter's ice cream - available in 49 states - cincy based

This. This is the best. Especially the strawberry, which doesn't seem to be available here :annoyed :(
Rusa
Minot

Post by Minot »

Haagen Daz ice cream
Virgil's Root Beer (if you haven't tried this, do yourself a favor..._
And the big one--my Sportsmobile camper van
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

1. Shoes - I will pay what I need to get comfortable ones. 10 years ago I paid up to $100, which I thought was an outrageous amount. I'd pay more now if I could get another pair of the same. But I do look for my shoes on sale.
2. Food - buy organic, locally grown, etc.
3. Sheets - buy high thread count organic cotton. Not hung up on brand and look for them on sale, but I could spend 20% of what I spend and still get sheets. But it is only a once every few year expense.
4. Tires - I'd buy Michelin if the highest rated ones were available in the right size for my vehicle.
5. Hotels - I splurge to stay at midrange hotels. I'm frugal, so this surprises those who know me well. They peg me for a Motel 6 type, but I'm not.
6. POTS Landline - I could save money by going to some digital service, but I like the comfort of knowing that even if the power goes out for an extended period of time, my dial tone still works. I pay $40+ month for that. Really might need to rethink that one.
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

Patagonia Goretex rain jacket
Smart wool socks--they have a sock for every occasion, and they are cooler in summer
Kean shoes
Osprey Duffel Bags
Spectacles: lightest possible frames with high index lenses from Costco; their opticians aim to please!
Apple notebooks--get the extra warranty
Battery driven pepper grinder/mill (not so premium!)
CA Syrahs
French Viongniers
Yorkshire tea bags
LEDs
wshang

Post by wshang »

Craft Beer - IPA's fresh from the microbreweries, sold in growlers (1+ Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA)
Single malt whiskey
. . . . . both keep liver enzymes in concert pitch (according to my medical school professor). :sharebeer

Of course
Carbon fiber bike (I only wish I had bought a $5k+ one)
Continental Grand Prix 4000 Black Chili bike tires which cost more than many car tires
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Saving$- I also keep my landline, just in case. My cost though is $20 with Verizon. Unlimited phone calls any time in the U.S. I think we can go even cheaper with Magic jack.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

travellight wrote:Saving$- I also keep my landline, just in case. My cost though is $20 with Verizon. Unlimited phone calls any time in the U.S. I think we can go even cheaper with Magic jack.
If you've got internet already, the Ooma works really well as a landline. I've been using it for the past 3 years, and it's been flawless. Setup was literally one plug in and you're done. Totally hassle free, and worth the $200ish startup cost imo. I also bought a Ooma handset , which allows you to make simultaneous outgoing calls just like you have 2 separate phone lines, even though you only have one. (It calls this a 'virtual' second line - one for the Ooma-brand handset, and the other for the regular phone in-jack where I plug in a standard wireless phone.)
bigmantenor

Post by bigmantenor »

Purchased my first set of Michelin's due to their prominence in this thread, and all I can say is WOW. To be honest, I never realized that Michelins where considered a high quality brand (I always went for Yokohamas on my Mazda). They are whisper-quiet, and handle great. Assuming that I can get near the 55,000 miles out of them that they are warrantied for, Michelin will be getting more of my :moneybag in the future.
lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance »

swaption wrote:
325e wrote: I would like to get a nice pair of dress shoes that could last me the rest of my life.
I suggest Alden. Can be recrafted like Alan Edmonds, but better enough to justify the premium. Brooks Brothers dress calf skin are Alden, so you can sometimes buy for 25% off and they can be recrafted. Buying a new pair of shoes is literally an event for me. Commuting by train, I walk a lot and they still last. Only negative is the shoes have a steel shank, which helps them last, but is a problem for airport security. Less of an issue now that you have to take your shoes off. I put taps on the heels, use cedar shoe trees, and take care of the leather. Good looking and comfortable shoes that can last a very long time.
How is Alden better enough than AE to justify the premium? Can you really tell the difference between AE full grain calfskin and Alden calfskin? Do you think anyone you work with can notice the difference from more than three feet away?
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

bigmantenor wrote:Purchased my first set of Michelin's due to their prominence in this thread, and all I can say is WOW. To be honest, I never realized that Michelins where considered a high quality brand (I always went for Yokohamas on my Mazda). They are whisper-quiet, and handle great. Assuming that I can get near the 55,000 miles out of them that they are warrantied for, Michelin will be getting more of my :moneybag in the future.
Actually I feel the opposite about Michelins. They cost close to double and the warranty is very hard to collect upon. Around here (Pittsburgh) the roads are bad, the hills are steep and winter is sometimes brutal. In other words, even Michelins take a beating that is not directly a premature wear issue...thus not a honored as warranty claim. That being said, I have sort of concluded that its better to get new tires twice as often for half the money. Just my .02
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

I agree I go to les schwab, even the tire sales guy at Costco semi agreed with me that Michelin tires were overpriced.
Leesbro63 wrote:
bigmantenor wrote:Purchased my first set of Michelin's due to their prominence in this thread, and all I can say is WOW. To be honest, I never realized that Michelins where considered a high quality brand (I always went for Yokohamas on my Mazda). They are whisper-quiet, and handle great. Assuming that I can get near the 55,000 miles out of them that they are warrantied for, Michelin will be getting more of my :moneybag in the future.
Actually I feel the opposite about Michelins. They cost close to double and the warranty is very hard to collect upon. Around here (Pittsburgh) the roads are bad, the hills are steep and winter is sometimes brutal. That being said, I have sort of concluded that its better to get new tires twice as often for half the money. Just my .02
fatlittlepig
Ged

Post by Ged »

When I shop for premium tires I look at Continental and Michelin. Differences between the two are pretty small. In something economical I've always felt the Yokohamas were good value for the money.
Ged

Post by Ged »

curmudgeon wrote:I was amused to note the Thorlo socks listed. I had the hardest time working myself around to paying $10-15 for a pair of socks years ago, but finally bought some for a backpacking trip. After I got back, I kept finding myself reaching for them first in the drawer, and finally worked myself around to buying them for everyday use. My feet tend to sweat a bit, and those socks keep them dry and comfortable. Now the only time I wear anything else is the once or twice a year when I pull out dress shoes and a suit.
While they are expensive socks, in the grand scheme of things the amount of comfort I get from these is perhaps the biggest bang/buck of anything I purchase.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Minot wrote:Virgil's Root Beer (if you haven't tried this, do yourself a favor..._
We did a root beer taste-off with my family a year or two back, and Virgil's came in right up near the top - the differences there really came down to stylistic desires in a good root beer. "River City Root Beer" also got extremely high marks.

But! If you haven't tried this...Virgil's also makes a black cherry cream soda. A float with that and a couple of scoops of good chocolate ice cream is something to be reckoned with. I love root beer floats and these are just as good in a different sort of way.