Do I really need a Smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Do I really need a Smartphone?

Post by VictoriaF »

Browser wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Browser wrote:Google Voice problem: I just got a GV number and testing it on my smartphone. When I call the smartphone using the GV number, there is a lag of 3 rings on the calling phone before the smartphone starts to ring. After 5 rings on the calling phone, it goes to voicemail and I've only gotten 2 rings on the smartphone. By the time I answer the smartphone, the caller has already been kicked to voicemail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced "GV Lag" like this and if anything can be done about it.
Could the GV lag be related to the mobile network provider's speed? Have you tested it on your landline phone?

Also, is the number of rings before voice mail kicks in configurable? If yes, you could increase it to six.

Victoria
I was calling mobile-to-mobile when I got the lag. The calling mobile is Sprint and the receiving mobile was AirVoice AT&T. I don't get the lag when I call mobile to mobile using the smartphone's actual number instead of the GV number, so it's a GV issue. It's enough of a problem that I don't think I'll want to use GV unless it can be solved.
So the problem is with routing through Google Voice? Some networks may be better connected to GV than others.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

It does seem to be a GV issue. Just wondering if others have experienced it. Most people probably wouldn't be calling their own GV number to see what happens. They might be experiencing the lag but don't know it. You get the full number of rings on the phone being called with GV, so it seems everything is OK. But if you don't pick up within a couple of rings, the caller has been kicked to voicemail and they're not on the other end. So you're left wondering what happened.

P.S. I just did a quick search and came up with this
the pause was due to Google Voice making a small data request to Google’s servers whenever you initiated a call, which would return the number the application was supposed to dial. That works well enough when you have a decent 3G or EDGE connection, but it can also lead to annoying timeouts and pauses when you don’t.

I don't know what the connection speed is on the originating Sprint cellphone. If it's 2G, maybe the lag is due to that. Don't know how to determine what the Sprint network speed is, since it's an old flip phone. i don't have a landline phone to use to see if there is a lag when I make the call with it.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I understand what you are saying, and I am also interested in the experiences of the others.

Could there be apps that recognize the nature of the two end devices and delay ringing so that the caller would stay put?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Browser wrote:Google Voice problem: I just got a GV number and testing it on my smartphone. When I call the smartphone using the GV number, there is a lag of 3 rings on the calling phone before the smartphone starts to ring. After 5 rings on the calling phone, it goes to voicemail and I've only gotten 2 rings on the smartphone. By the time I answer the smartphone, the caller has already been kicked to voicemail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced "GV Lag" like this and if anything can be done about it.
Here's one thing you should rule out.

The phone you use to make the test call should not be associated in any way with your GV/smartphone. You can get strange results when some part of the routing algorithm thinks the source and the destination are the same. It's best to use an unrelated phone, even if you have to borrow it from a friend.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

On a somewhat related topic, as I queried upthread, apparently you CAN port your existing cellphone number to Google Voice:
Number porting is a feature in which your existing mobile number will become your Google Voice number. It allows you to take advantage of the full set of the Google Voice features like, one number to ring all of your phones, online voicemail, and more.

Porting your number will require a one-time fee of $20, payable via Google Wallet.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

Hurrah! So then, it looks like I can take my existing cell number registered with all my current contacts and make this a permanently portable GV number for $20. Unless I can think of a reason not to do this, I'm going to port my number to GV instead of AirVoice. First I want to test out GV thoroughly to make sure I can live with it.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Here's one thing you should rule out.

The phone you use to make the test call should not be associated in any way with your GV/smartphone. You can get strange results when some part of the routing algorithm thinks the source and the destination are the same. It's best to use an unrelated phone, even if you have to borrow it from a friend.
Good thoughts, but I can't think of any way the Sprint phone could be tied in. I've not messed with it at all and it's a separate phone with it's own separate number. Can't see how it would be any different from a stranger's phone in that regard.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Browser wrote:On a somewhat related topic, as I queried upthread, apparently you CAN port your existing cellphone number to Google Voice:
Number porting is a feature in which your existing mobile number will become your Google Voice number. It allows you to take advantage of the full set of the Google Voice features like, one number to ring all of your phones, online voicemail, and more.

Porting your number will require a one-time fee of $20, payable via Google Wallet.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

Hurrah! So then, it looks like I can take my existing cell number registered with all my current contacts and make this a permanently portable GV number for $20. Unless I can think of a reason not to do this, I'm going to port my number to GV instead of AirVoice. First I want to test out GV thoroughly to make sure I can live with it.
This is brilliant. Thanks a lot for finding it out!

If I am currently using a number with a mobile provider and port it to GV, will I still be able to continue using it with the same provider as if I have not ported it? Or the provider will "lose" this number from their pool of numbers, and it will have to assign me another number? In the latter scenario, the calls would be forwarded from the GV number (my old cell number) to the new number with that cellular provider.

Victoria
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

I'm full of questions today. Another one I have pertains to the area code to select from your new service provider. I've moved to Arizona and have friends and family I talk with back in the midwest. Some of them are on pay-by-the-minute landline long distance plans and have suggested that I use their area code for my number so they can call without long distance charges. With a cell it doesn't make any difference what area code i use, so I guess that makes sense, right? But I'm wondering if a GV number works the same way? If I select my friends' area code for my GV number will they still be able to make a "local" call to me when they're calling me in Arizona? I can't see why not, but GV is not actually a phone service provider, so I don't know how that works.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

If I am currently using a number with a mobile provider and port it to GV, will I still be able to continue using it with the same provider as if I have not ported it? Or the provider will "lose" this number from their pool of numbers, and it will have to assign me another number? In the latter scenario, the calls would be forwarded from the GV number (my old cell number) to the new number with that cellular provider.
According to the link I provided, when the port the number to GV, your current cellphone service using that number is terminated. So, you can't continue using it or the service with your existing provider. I'm guessing that means that number is no longer available to anyone, since you now have it with GV. The way the GV thing seems to work is that (1) you first need to have a number assigned by the provider you are porting to (e.g., AirVoice). (2) You then request from Google that your existing cellphone number be ported to GV. (3) Then you have to set up a Forwarding directive with your GV, such that calls to the newly ported number will be forwarded to the number that was assigned by your new smartphone service provider (e.g. AirVoice). You got all that?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Browser wrote:
According to the link I provided, when the port the number to GV, your current cellphone service using that number is terminated. So, you can't continue using it or the service with your existing provider. I'm guessing that means that number is no longer available to anyone, since you now have it with GV. The way the GV thing seems to work is that (1) you first need to have a number assigned by the provider you are porting to (e.g., AirVoice). (2) You then request from Google that your existing cellphone number be ported to GV. (3) Then you have to set up a Forwarding directive with your GV, such that calls to the newly ported number will be forwarded to the number that was assigned by your new smartphone service provider (e.g. AirVoice). You got all that?
Yes, I got it. Here is how it will work:

Terminology:
VM - Virgin Mobile, a current cellular provider, with a VM number
AV - AirVoice, a potential new provider, with an AV number
GV - Google Voice, a provider of a "permanent" GV number.

Step-0 (current state)
VM - have
AV - don't have
GV - don't have

Step-1
AV - get an AV number

Step-2
Port VM number to GV
*** Lose VM number with VM

Step-3
Forward from GV number (former VM number) to the AV number (of the smartphone).

This will work for as long as I keep AV. If I decided to try AV for a couple months and then revert to VM, I would have to get a new VM number (VM2) and forward from GV to VM2.

Victoria
ogd

Post by ogd »

Yes, when you port to Google Voice the carrier tosses your current line. So you have to either move to a different carrier, or get a new contract. A while ago I asked customer service if I can do this switch on an existing line in one step (i.e. have them change my number and sit on the old one for a few days until GV grabs it), but they don't let you do that. Later it became advantageous for me to do a new contract anyway, so I did it then.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Victoria - yes. I guess since it's a VM number you won't be able to get it back later by reverse-porting the GV number if you want an undo. If you had a contract number currently, you would be able to do that.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Some Android Apps I have found Useful-(All free :happy )
Accupedo-pedometer
Chrome-Browser
Clean Master- all-in-one cleaner app
Google Drive-Storage
Gas Buddy-find gas prices
Go Launcher-Android home launcher replacement
Google Play Music
GT Tracker-Shopping lists
Last Pass-Password Manager
Mr Number-Block Phone Numbers
Onavo Count-puts you in control of your data plan
Palmary Weather-Powerful weather application. Clear, simple interface
Amazon Price Check-Use this scanner,pic,speech, app to shop items in other stores then compare,powerful money saver
Vanguard(and all other banking, investment accounts)they all have apps.Take advantage of all text features they offer,balances,alerts etc
Waze-Social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers.
Kindle Reader-you know what this is :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine »

I used to think like the OP - its a toy. I hardly ever play games on it. I find it a very powerful tool that does a lot of things for me.
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Ted Valentine wrote:I used to think like the OP - its a toy. I hardly ever play games on it. I find it a very powerful tool that does a lot of things for me.
The OP does not think as the OP any more. He is helping the rest of us to acquire this powerful tool.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Browser wrote:I'm full of questions today. Another one I have pertains to the area code to select from your new service provider. I've moved to Arizona and have friends and family I talk with back in the midwest. Some of them are on pay-by-the-minute landline long distance plans and have suggested that I use their area code for my number so they can call without long distance charges. With a cell it doesn't make any difference what area code i use, so I guess that makes sense, right? But I'm wondering if a GV number works the same way? If I select my friends' area code for my GV number will they still be able to make a "local" call to me when they're calling me in Arizona? I can't see why not, but GV is not actually a phone service provider, so I don't know how that works.
I have just acquired a Google Voice number. When I was selecting a number I had a choice of the area code. One of the area codes I was interested in was not available, for the other one I had many choices for the number. Unfortunately, there were no really interesting numbers available.

Victoria
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

VictoriaF wrote: Unfortunately, there were no really interesting numbers available.
There are no uninteresting numbers. There would have to be a smallest uninteresting number and that would be interesting. Hence, etc., Q.E.D.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Victoria - when you try out the Google Voice number let me know how your voicemail works. I'm using my new GV number with my phone and when it goes to voicemail there is a message like "The google subscriber that you are calling is not available. Please leave a message". I don't especially want to announce to callers that they've called a Google Voice number and would like to fix that.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: Unfortunately, there were no really interesting numbers available.
There are no uninteresting numbers. The proof is by induction.
How do you prove it?
"1" is an interesting number. If "n" is an interesting number, then "n+1" is an interesting number. Thus, any number is an interesting number.
Or
A nonrandom number is interesting because of the nonrandom pattern. A random number is interesting because it is random. Thus all numbers are interesting.

My number is not completely uninteresting. I went through many numbers until I selected one with a resemblance of a pattern.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Browser wrote:Victoria - when you try out the Google Voice number let me know how your voicemail works. I'm using my new GV number with my phone and when it goes to voicemail there is a message like "The google subscriber that you are calling is not available. Please leave a message". I don't especially want to announce to callers that they've called a Google Voice number and would like to fix that.
I will. Right now I just have a number and will be learning how to use various features such as call forwarding. I haven't even received the Nexus yet.

Victoria
ogd

Post by ogd »

Browser wrote:I'm full of questions today. Another one I have pertains to the area code to select from your new service provider. I've moved to Arizona and have friends and family I talk with back in the midwest. Some of them are on pay-by-the-minute landline long distance plans and have suggested that I use their area code for my number so they can call without long distance charges. With a cell it doesn't make any difference what area code i use, so I guess that makes sense, right? But I'm wondering if a GV number works the same way? If I select my friends' area code for my GV number will they still be able to make a "local" call to me when they're calling me in Arizona? I can't see why not, but GV is not actually a phone service provider, so I don't know how that works.
The call to your GV from the same or nearby area code will count as local, GV does the long-distance forwarding for you.

I think the entire notion of domestic long distance is going away soon.
Browser wrote:Victoria - when you try out the Google Voice number let me know how your voicemail works. I'm using my new GV number with my phone and when it goes to voicemail there is a message like "The google subscriber that you are calling is not available. Please leave a message". I don't especially want to announce to callers that they've called a Google Voice number and would like to fix that.
You can go online at voice.google.com and change your voice message.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

You can change that in the settings. You can customize your own VM message.

Go to Settings > Voicemail & Text.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

VictoriaF wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:
How do you prove it?

Victoria
Take an uninteresting number, if it was the smallest uninteresting one it would be interesting, so there must be a smaller uninteresting one. Repeat and throw in some properties of the integers.

Yeah I guess it works better if you don't use induction. :oops:
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Here's where I'm having problems with the voicemail message. In settings on the smartphone, it gives me choice between (1) using the voicemail message from my carrier (AirVoice) or (2) Google Voice. (I've installed the Google Voice app on the phone). Since I had a voicemail message already set up on my carrier I selected that option. But it seems to make no difference whatsoever.

Regardless of which option I've selected, I get the AirVoice message when I call the phone using the actual phone number, and I get the default Google Voice message whenever I call using the GV number. Why do I have the option under Settings to select which Voicemail message to use if it does nothing??? Unless I can fix this, I guess that means that I can't use the same voicemail message for both the real number and for the GV number. I haven't done it yet to see, but I'll have to create a GV voicemail message as well. Just bugs me that I can't just use the voicemail message I already had set up and that the Settings option is apparently there to designate. But I guess these are two separate and distinct voicemail "bins" that have to be treated as such, eh?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If you will be using the Google Voice number as your "universal" number, it seems to make sense to set up your message in Google Voice? I am closely following your travail, because in a couple days I will be facing similar issues.

Victoria
ogd

Post by ogd »

The setting is about which voicemail to use with your AirVoice number. I don't think there's a way to have your GV number go there as well. So if you want a single "voicemail bin" it has to be Google Voice. It's much nicer anyway (visual, with transcripts).
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

ogd wrote:The setting is about which voicemail to use with your AirVoice number. I don't think there's a way to have your GV number go there as well. So if you want a single "voicemail bin" it has to be Google Voice. It's much nicer anyway (visual, with transcripts).
That's what I thought, but calls to the AirVoice number are handled by the AirVoice voicemail message even if I have selected the Google Voice option on the smartphone. Far as I can tell, I have to have both voicemails set up and there's no way to redirect calls coming in to the Airvoice number to be handled by Google Voice voicemail. Separate systems I guess. Since I eventually plan to use the GV number (ported from Sprint) as my primary number that will be the primary voicemail handler. But I'll need something over at Airvoice too for calls that might come in on that number. I'd like it better if everything was integrated. I'll have to be looking in two "bins" for voicemails all the time, I guess.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:
How do you prove it?
"1" is an interesting number. If "n" is an interesting number, then "n+1" is an interesting number. Thus, any number is an interesting number.
Or
A nonrandom number is interesting because of the nonrandom pattern. A random number is interesting because it is random. Thus all numbers are interesting.

My number is not completely uninteresting. I went through many numbers until I selected one with a resemblance of a pattern.

Victoria
Interesting numbers seem almost as interesting as imaginary numbers. Victoria, you just invented a new branch of mathematics. Cool.

I just googled "Amazon price check". That app seems pretty disgusting to me. Its sole function seems to be to put local mom and pop shops out of business . And likely very effective. If I was a local retailer, and I saw a shopper scanning my barcodes on my property to see if they could get a better deal on Amazon, I'd be up in arms. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I'd rather give the extra buck or two to my local community store, and keep my downtown fun and vibrant for as long as possible.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:I just googled "Amazon price check". That app seems pretty disgusting to me. Its sole function seems to be to put local mom and pop shops out of business . And likely very effective. If I was a local retailer, and I saw a shopper scanning my barcodes on my property to see if they could get a better deal on Amazon, I'd be up in arms. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I'd rather give the extra buck or two to my local community store, and keep my downtown fun and vibrant for as long as possible.
Do you feel the same about mom-and-pop airlines?

Victoria
Toons

Post by Toons »

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:
How do you prove it?
Or

Victoria
Interesting numbers seem almost as interesting as imaginary numbers. Victoria, you just invented a new branch of mathematics. Cool.

I just googled "Amazon price check". That app seems pretty disgusting to me. Its sole function seems to be to put local mom and pop shops out of business . And likely very effective. If I was a local retailer, and I saw a shopper scanning my barcodes on my property to see if they could get a better deal on Amazon, I'd be up in arms. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I'd rather give the extra buck or two to my local community store, and keep my downtown fun and vibrant for as long as possible.
Showrooming is here to stay :happy

"Nearly 6-in-10 showroomers said they would be more likely to buy in the store if it matched online prices."

http://consumerist.com/2013/06/04/surve ... owrooming/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:I just googled "Amazon price check". That app seems pretty disgusting to me. Its sole function seems to be to put local mom and pop shops out of business . And likely very effective. If I was a local retailer, and I saw a shopper scanning my barcodes on my property to see if they could get a better deal on Amazon, I'd be up in arms. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I'd rather give the extra buck or two to my local community store, and keep my downtown fun and vibrant for as long as possible.

Victoria
Not unless I know the mom and pop. I used to like to give Freddie Laker my business because of something he once did for me. He seemed like a nice guy.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Not unless I know the mom and pop. I used to like to give Freddie Laker my business because of something he once did for me. He seemed like a nice guy.
Back to the topic--I feel some affinity to Google, and thus I wanted an Android device rather than an Apple. Sergei Brin has a similar background to mine and I visited Google twice (these two clauses are unrelated).

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ogd

Post by ogd »

Browser wrote:That's what I thought, but calls to the AirVoice number are handled by the AirVoice voicemail message even if I have selected the Google Voice option on the smartphone. Far as I can tell, I have to have both voicemails set up and there's no way to redirect calls coming in to the Airvoice number to be handled by Google Voice voicemail. Separate systems I guess.
This is weird. I have it configured like this on my T-mobile and it works great. Can you try doing it from the web interface? There's a little link next to the mobile phone no that you're forwarding to.
Help blurb on google.com/voice wrote:To activate: If you'd like to activate or re-add Google voicemail on your mobile phone, click Activate Google voicemail for this phone.
If it doesn't work, maybe AirVoice doesn't support call forwarding.
ogd

Post by ogd »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's different. The store is providing a service, seeing the product in person -- meaning shelf space, clerks, physical comparison w/others etc -- and it should be compensated for it. I'm not one to call such things theft, but "disgusting" is reasonable enough.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

ogd wrote:
Browser wrote:That's what I thought, but calls to the AirVoice number are handled by the AirVoice voicemail message even if I have selected the Google Voice option on the smartphone. Far as I can tell, I have to have both voicemails set up and there's no way to redirect calls coming in to the Airvoice number to be handled by Google Voice voicemail. Separate systems I guess.
This is weird. I have it configured like this on my T-mobile and it works great. Can you try doing it from the web interface? There's a little link next to the mobile phone no that you're forwarding to.
Help blurb on google.com/voice wrote:To activate: If you'd like to activate or re-add Google voicemail on your mobile phone, click Activate Google voicemail for this phone.
If it doesn't work, maybe AirVoice doesn't support call forwarding.
Yes, it is wierd. I followed your great tip above and lo, there is a clickable option to "Activate Google voicemail on this phone". Thinking this was the solution, I clicked away and a box came up instructing me to enter some horrendously long activation code using the phone keyboard and hit "send." It didn't work. Rinse and repeat. Then I clicked on help and went through the problem-solving tree and and here's what it said:
Some prepaid plans do not support changing voicemail providers, and, as such Google voicemail cannot be setup on these phones.

Please contact your phone carrier for more information about making "conditional call forwarding" work for you.
So, I'm guessin' that AirVoice is one-a the plans being referred to. Two separate voicemail boxes it shall be....
ogd

Post by ogd »

Browser wrote:So, I'm guessin' that AirVoice is one-a the plans being referred to. Two separate voicemail boxes it shall be....
Bummer. I'd still try calling them before giving up, maybe an operator can do it.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Back to the topic--I feel some affinity to Google, and thus I wanted an Android device rather than an Apple. Sergei Brin has a similar background to mine and I visited Google twice (these two clauses are unrelated).

Victoria
I think they have (surprise!) all (Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon etc), sadly, strayed from their initial youthful idealistic hippie business models since they became multi-billionaires. They are all more or less becoming internet Wal-marts, but much more frightening considering their control of personal information and information flow. It's one thing to have a monopoly on cheap TV sets and tupperware, but another level of scary when you can monopolize information. I have less animosity towards Google than Apple...a minor reason contributing to my desire to switch as well.

Back on topic myself....at some point in the future, once you have had experience with your Nexus, your service provider and your convoluted Google Voice arrangement, I really want to hear about your experiences, as they may shape my own before I return to Venezuela next winter (I'll have to make do with more primitive devices in France this summer). So please drop me a pm when you sort it all out and have opinions/impressions...or expect to hear from me about it all. Thanks, Victoria.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:Back on topic myself....at some point in the future, once you have had experience with your Nexus, your service provider and your convoluted Google Voice arrangement, I really want to hear about your experiences, as they may shape my own before I return to Venezuela next winter (I'll have to make do with more primitive devices in France this summer). So please drop me a pm when you sort it all out and have opinions/impressions...or expect to hear from me about it all. Thanks, Victoria.
I will be sharing my experiences as I will be acquiring them. However, it seems that everybody's path to smartphones is unique. And the quirks of the cellular connectivity are different between the countries you are visiting and those I will be going to.

I will share what I can, but I don't think I will ever be able to claim that I have sorted it all out.

Victoria
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

What I want to do adds another level of complexity beyond Victoria's situation. Let's see if I have it right.
The complexity stems from the fact that I have Straight Talk (ST) service on AT+T, which they no longer offer new customers. I'm happy with ST and I have an AT+T-network ST SIM card that I purchased before they stopped offering them. Presumably if I stay with ST I will be able to continue using the AT+T network....and I don't want to switch networks.

MY ASSUMPTION (please tell me if I am right or wrong): A SIM card is not married to a particular phone number. So if I lose my phone number, and get a new number with ST, I can continue using the AT+T SIM with the new number.

So the process for me, if I want to be able to suspend ST service when I am abroad and still use my same number on the ST/AT+T network when I return, would be:

Stage 1: Port my ST number over to Google Voice (GV) and pay $20.
Stage 2: sign up for a new number (issued by ST) with ST, continuing to use my same ST/ATT SIM card.
Stage 3: Arrange to have my calls forwarded by GV from my GV (old) number to my ST (new) number.
Stage 4: Suspend my ST service when I go abroad by not renewing my monthly plan.
Stage 5: When I return to the US, if my old number was released, get a new number from ST, using my same old ST/ATT SIM card.
Stage 6: Arrange to have GV forward my calls to my new ST number.

whew.

Is that the best way to do it? Will it work? Any forsee-able glitches?

Thanks in advance,
protag...
(by the way I have heard rumors that ST is notoriously bad about porting numbers to other carriers).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Protagonist,

1. Keeping in mind that what I write below is purely theoretical and is not based on anything I have done myself--here is how I look at it:

If you can suspend the ST service for several months and later get it back with a new number and the old AT&T SIM, then you should also be able to port your ST number to GV and keep the SIM.

2. If something unforeseen happens, and you do lose your AT&T network access through ST, AirVoice is a fair alternative. If for some reason AirVoice is not good, here is a List of MVNOs in the U.S. Given their quantity, the competition is probably quite healthy.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

MY ASSUMPTION (please tell me if I am right or wrong): A SIM card is not married to a particular phone number. So if I lose my phone number, and get a new number with ST, I can continue using the AT+T SIM with the new number.
I've seen differing opinions but believe the phone # is burned into the SIM on activation. You can move the SIM (and it's phone #) to another phone (I know because I did it), but if you want a new phone # for your existing phone, you gotta get a new SIM. IOW, the SIM card and phone # are married happily ever after.... Or maybe not. You probably have to contact the service provider to find out for sure.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:Protagonist,

1. Keeping in mind that what I write below is purely theoretical and is not based on anything I have done myself--here is how I look at it:

If you can suspend the ST service for several months and later get it back with a new number and the old AT&T SIM, then you should also be able to port your ST number to GV and keep the SIM.

2. If something unforeseen happens, and you do lose your AT&T network access through ST, AirVoice is a fair alternative. If for some reason AirVoice is not good, here is a List of MVNOs in the U.S. Given their quantity, the competition is probably quite healthy.

Victoria
Thanks, Browser. But from everything I have been told, I was just lucky that I got my old number back with ST five months later. If I was pretty sure I would get it back anyway, there would be no reason that I can think of to having it ported to GV in the first place....just adds an unnecessary layer of complication. I would port it if it would guarantee my continued service and number. If things went bad I would look into AirVoice....their plan seems superficially at least as good as ST's.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:Thanks, Browser. But from everything I have been told, I was just lucky that I got my old number back with ST five months later. If I was pretty sure I would get it back anyway, there would be no reason that I can think of to having it ported to GV in the first place....just adds an unnecessary layer of complication. I would port it if it would guarantee my continued service and number. If things went bad I would look into AirVoice....their plan seems superficially at least as good as ST's.
If you were not lucky and could not get your old ST number back, would you have to get a new SIM with the new number?
- If the answer is 'yes,' then you are eventually going to lose your AT&T access via ST.
- If the answer is 'no,' then Browser's statement is incorrect and the number is not burned into a SIM. Programmed, but not burned.

You can call ST and ask them whether you would need a new SIM, if you have suspended your service and the number became unavailable.

Victoria
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

As soon as you guys solve the phone # = SiM issue, can you get to work on the "GV lag" issue? I still can't figure it out. The called phone using the GV number doesn't start to ring until the fourth ring of the calling phone. Then I only get 2 rings on the called phone before the calling phone gets kicked to voicemail, and then there are no more rings on the called phone - a total of 2 rings before I have to pick up to avoid the caller being kicked to voicemail. If this is going to happen every time somebody calls my cellphone on the GV number it will effectively be unusable. Help me!!!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Browser wrote:As soon as you guys solve the phone # = SiM issue, can you get to work on the "GV lag" issue? I still can't figure it out. The called phone using the GV number doesn't start to ring until the fourth ring of the calling phone. Then I only get 2 rings on the called phone before the calling phone gets kicked to voicemail, and then there are no more rings on the called phone - a total of 2 rings before I have to pick up to avoid the caller being kicked to voicemail. If this is going to happen every time somebody calls my cellphone on the GV number it will effectively be unusable. Help me!!!
Wow, browser....no idea....but if it is not specific to your phone or service provider my guess is that the problem may not be solvable. (One annoying thing about my iPhone 3g that I never experienced with my old "stupidphone"is that often I have noticed the same ring delay problem, without the overlay of GV- don't know if I am imagining that or not). I would suggest going to a specific GV forum and posing that question...if it is a GV issue I would think many others would have similar complaints.

Actually, as a pure phone, my 5 year old second-hand ebay-purchased stupidphone worked better than my iPhone 3G.... the volume and clarity of the calls was better , less lag time, battery stayed charged forever, smaller and more comfortable, and the flip keyboard was easier and more error-free to use than the touch screen, plus the screen was protected. And it lasted 5 years with a replacement battery. It's mostly the apps..especially the music and travel apps... that got me into smartphones.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

protagonist wrote:Actually, as a pure phone, my 5 year old second-hand ebay-purchased stupidphone worked better than my iPhone 3G.... the volume and clarity of the calls was better , less lag time, smaller and more comfortable, and the flip keyboard was easier and more error-free to use than the touch screen, plus the screen was protected. And it lasted 5 years with a replacement battery.
As a phone, my current $15 Tracfone is better than any Blackberry my former employer foisted on me. My all time favorite phone was the Nokia 6310. Built like a tank, the battery would easily last 2 weeks with normal, daily use. I once ran over it with my car and there was no damage --- the car worked fine, the phone worked fine.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:Thanks, Browser. But from everything I have been told, I was just lucky that I got my old number back with ST five months later. If I was pretty sure I would get it back anyway, there would be no reason that I can think of to having it ported to GV in the first place....just adds an unnecessary layer of complication. I would port it if it would guarantee my continued service and number. If things went bad I would look into AirVoice....their plan seems superficially at least as good as ST's.
If you were not lucky and could not get your old ST number back, would you have to get a new SIM with the new number?
- If the answer is 'yes,' then you are eventually going to lose your AT&T access via ST.
- If the answer is 'no,' then Browser's statement is incorrect and the number is not burned into a SIM. Programmed, but not burned.

You can call ST and ask them whether you would need a new SIM, if you have suspended your service and the number became unavailable.

Victoria
Based on experience, I wouldn't trust the answer I got from a ST phone rep re: a complicated question, and it would kill an hour of my time during which I may be disconnected more than once. I would sooner trust some geeky person here who knows the intricacies of SIM card technology. Based on my experience with the bogleheads forum, I am almost certain such people exist.
classpro

Post by classpro »

First of all I hate talking on the phone. I hate playing telephone tag. The phone is a Huge waste of time. Email is a far superior method of getting things done. There is a record of the communication and documents and the images can be exchanged. People who say they don't need a computer are dinosaurs. I deal with some mostly older people who only communicate by phone and find it difficult and time consuming.

Whether you want a smartphone or tablet if you have and use a desk computer is a closer question. Data plans are very expensive. I like having access to data when the I'm out and about, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity in most cases. I use my tablet more than my phone, and really like reading on it, but it's a luxury not a necessity. My guess is you'd like it if you learned to use it, and your resistance is more based on techno fear than rational reasoning when it's being offered to you at no cost.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

protagonist wrote: Actually, as a pure phone, my 5 year old second-hand ebay-purchased stupidphone worked better than my iPhone 3G.... the volume and clarity of the calls was better , less lag time, battery stayed charged forever, smaller and more comfortable, and the flip keyboard was easier and more error-free to use than the touch screen, plus the screen was protected. And it lasted 5 years with a replacement battery. It's mostly the apps..especially the music and travel apps... that got me into smartphones.
Good job of summarizing my position on smartphones, proto. We get seduced by the toy and give up a really pretty good phone. I still haven't been able to bring myself to shut down my Sprint flip phone because it's a better phone than this smartphone gimmick. But I know I gotta do it to keep the toy,,,,waaahhhhh.
ogd

Post by ogd »

Browser wrote:As soon as you guys solve the phone # = SiM issue, can you get to work on the "GV lag" issue? I still can't figure it out. The called phone using the GV number doesn't start to ring until the fourth ring of the calling phone. Then I only get 2 rings on the called phone before the calling phone gets kicked to voicemail, and then there are no more rings on the called phone - a total of 2 rings before I have to pick up to avoid the caller being kicked to voicemail. If this is going to happen every time somebody calls my cellphone on the GV number it will effectively be unusable. Help me!!!
I did a quick test with my GV. So there is indeed an extra ring that the cell phone does not get, maybe 3 seconds or so, and it sounds a little different than the rest, like you're ringing two different phones (which I guess you are, in effect). I'd never noticed this before. Still, it's only one and the cellphone does get a good 20 seconds plus of ringing after that.

I don't know why yours takes so long. Is the cellphone the very first phone you have configured in your GV? It almost sounds like it might be trying to ring another phone first (GV can try them in turn).

The delay explanation you found on the internet is different, I think, it has to do with outgoing calls through GV -- your phone has to tell the GV dispatch (or whatever it's called) who to actually dial. For incoming there should be no internet involved.