Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Goodman60

Re: Premium Products That Are Worth It To You

Post by Goodman60 »

Flashes1 wrote:
fatlittlepig wrote:sounds like a lot of overpriced stuff, just sayin'
for the cars: isn't high quality and American made an oxymoron414k
To address your two points:

1. Overpriced is a very subjective term. As you progress thru net worth thresholds, fewer things are overpriced....so maybe we're at different thresholds. My $14k Wolf range is likely cheap compared to what's in Bill Gates' kitchen, so it's all relative.

2. American made cars are very high quality..I'm not sure how much reading about the subject you've done though....doesn't sound like much....but I do understand many people are making political stmts when they choose to not support the UAW....so different strokes for different folks.
I agree that American cars are world class these days. But if you look at Consumer Reports and JDPowers, TOY/HON are still the leaders. As well they are the leaders in resale value and durability. And generally they command a somewhat higher price new than comparable GM cars. So for purposes of this discussion TOY/HON are "premium" products that cost more up front, but are worth the difference to many of us.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

i just get a small whiff of elitism/snobbery from the tone of your post, that's all.

i think there have been some incremental quality improvements in US made cars, but far and wide there still is a reliability/quality gap.
Flashes1 wrote:As I've gotten older and more affluent, I buy higher grade of quality including:

Yard tools: I recently bought the "Cobalt?" brand shovel and rakes at Lowes. They are heavy duty, but materially more expensive. I also bought a $420 Stihl trimmer/blower combo (it f'ing rocks).
Beer: I buy American micro-beers after years of Budweiser. Recently discovered Revolution "Anti-Hero" IPA....and a Cali brewery called Igunalitis?----hard to pronounce and spell!!
Furniture: only solid cherry primarily from Amish
Cars: only high quaility American made. Recently bought a best-in-class Ford Explorer (incredible vehicle)
Watches: Breightling "colt" model.....beautiful piece of jewelry
Applicances: Wolf and Sub-Zero only please.
fatlittlepig
Topic Author
Goodman60

Post by Goodman60 »

Someone mentioned SPYDERCO knifes. I never heard of them so I looked them up. Shockingly expensive. And they don't appear to be table knifes. What are they used for besides fishing and hunting? What might an average (non hunter or fisherman) consumer like me use them for?
telemark

Post by telemark »

Great Harvest bread. And Das Keyboard.

You can't play nethack properly on a mushy keyboard.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

fatlittlepig wrote:i just get a small whiff of elitism/snobbery from the tone of your post, that's all.

i think there have been some incremental quality improvements in US made cars, but far and wide there still is a reliability/quality gap.
Yes, there's elitism....but that's what this board, and especially this thread, are all about (this is a board about money and a thread about premium products---you're not going to find many serious communists or anarachists here!!!!). We are the 1-5%.

Back onto American cars....I qualified that I love world class American cars....I didn't say ALL American cars. My Ford Explorer is best in the world.....and there's many other American cars like it too....not all.....but many. I purposely choose to support the workers of these companies....and I know there's a lot of Americans who don't support them for political reasons. They are entitled to their opinions....I just think they're doing more harm than good to their net worth when they do that.

I saw someone else mention Tumi luggage----and I agree. Luggage for the serious business traveler.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Goodman60 wrote:Someone mentioned SPYDERCO knifes. I never heard of them so I looked them up. Shockingly expensive. And they don't appear to be table knifes. What are they used for besides fishing and hunting? What might an average (non hunter or fisherman) consumer like me use them for?
Of you think Spyderco knives are "shockingly expensive", you haven't spent much time looking at collector knives. It's a huge subculture.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

@ telemark - I used to play Hack on my old Tandy 1000 back in the 80s... I'll bet I was involved in thousands of YAADs!
:annoyed :wink: :D
Indexed Fully!
Ged

Post by Ged »

Flashes1 wrote: Back onto American cars....I qualified that I love world class American cars....I didn't say ALL American cars. My Ford Explorer is best in the world.....and there's many other American cars like it too....not all.....but many. I purposely choose to support the workers of these companies....and I know there's a lot of Americans who don't support them for political reasons. They are entitled to their opinions....I just think they're doing more harm than good to their net worth when they do that.
Just to point out, many of the Hondas and Toyotas that many Boggleheads like for their reliability are built in the US and have as much US part content as the US makes do.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

excellent point and very true, I guess the quality/reliability gap has much more to do with design and engineering rather than the manufacturing process.

I may be in the 1-5% or whatever, but I'll never have an elitist attitude as I believe widening income inequality does not make a healthy and progressive society.

Ged wrote:
Flashes1 wrote: Back onto American cars....I qualified that I love world class American cars....I didn't say ALL American cars. My Ford Explorer is best in the world.....and there's many other American cars like it too....not all.....but many. I purposely choose to support the workers of these companies....and I know there's a lot of Americans who don't support them for political reasons. They are entitled to their opinions....I just think they're doing more harm than good to their net worth when they do that.
Just to point out, many of the Hondas and Toyotas that many Boggleheads like for their reliability are built in the US and have as much US part content as the US makes do.
fatlittlepig
Ged

Post by Ged »

fatlittlepig wrote:excellent point and very true, I guess the quality/reliability gap has much more to do with design and engineering rather than the manufacturing process.
I think it's cultural, and it starts with senior management.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CABQZPAvLiQ

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1985/JAL-E ... 350e5e5bb1
vveat

Post by vveat »

Le Creuset. I have several of these Dutch ovens, different sizes and shapes, worth every penny
Samsonite for suitcases
My husband splurges on whiskey and cognac - right now we have open bottles of Tesseron Lot 65 and of Glenrothes select reserve. I am into expensive ports myself.
Pricey Montessori for the kids
Neato vacuum robot
Amazon Prime

In general for us splurges are mostly on cooking equipment, sailing equipment and gourmet food/drinks. Furniture is ikea, we are not into clothes, cars, or electronics, kids still wear mostly second hand. But in the areas we value we tend to buy quality.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travellight

Post by travellight »

As of this week, premium seats for the theater are worth it to me. I just saw Jersey Boys (for the third time) but this time in row K, so about 11 rows from the stage, and it was totally worth the $90 or so I paid for it compared to nosebleed seats.

Flying above coach class is worth the points to me if the flight is more than 6 hours.

Traders Point Creamery yogurt in Indiana is worth it to me for their drinkable yogurts.

Great food at fine restaurants is worth it; but I will dine there with a coupon or at happy hour.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I like good cigars. Macanudo, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Cohiba, Ashton, and many more. Swishers/King Edwards just don't cut it.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
schmoglehead

Post by schmoglehead »

Some of the debates may center around cost per use.
I have worn my expensive Icebreaker sweaters so many times that the cost per use is very low.
We have paid close to top dollar for our contractor but the quality over the year has made the long term cost low.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Goodman60 wrote:Someone mentioned SPYDERCO knifes. I never heard of them so I looked them up. Shockingly expensive. And they don't appear to be table knifes. What are they used for besides fishing and hunting? What might an average (non hunter or fisherman) consumer like me use them for?
If you are actually interested in really nice knives, check out Benchmade. Made in Oregon, plenty of options, really solid knives...I have two, and am always looking for a good deal on another. I carry mine every day. It always comes in handy - cutting boxes, tape, zip-ties, opening those horrible Chinese "clamshell" plastic packaging devices, etc. Invaluable.

Mine were like $110 and $160 each, so definitely not a throwaway junker.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just took the time to read the whole thread...good lord. It's funny what some people consider "premium" and so on.

I don't typically buy store-brand type items, but I don't blindly buy the most expensive items either. For example: gold toe socks. HUGE improvement over the cheapos I used to wear. They aren't cheap, but my feet appreciate it.

I saw some talk about work boots...I have four pairs of steel toe work boots, three being "wellington" style pull ons. Two american made, two chinese - I definitely prefer my american red wings.

Way too much to even think about in this thread!
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

pennstater2005 wrote:I like good cigars. Macanudo, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Cohiba, Ashton, and many more. Swishers/King Edwards just don't cut it.
+1 - love a good Cohiba!
(and love the looks that a female smoking one gets :P )
jbm879

Post by jbm879 »

Spyderco knives
Vitamix blender
Bunn coffee maker
Maxpedition backpacks
Thinkpad
Patagonia jackets
Ipad
travellight

Post by travellight »

not sure I understand the Weber grill as a Premium product.... I thought it was basic or mid-level. Maybe there is a specific model? If they are all good, might as well buy the cheapest one.

I have a DCS grill, 6 burner with rotisserie and the it was the lowest price I could find for a built in grill at $2000 (lower than what Home Depot had it for at $2500). I think they really get you when you need a built in rather than portable.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

maybe it's a look of disgust? just kidding
HongKonger wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:I like good cigars. Macanudo, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Cohiba, Ashton, and many more. Swishers/King Edwards just don't cut it.
+1 - love a good Cohiba!
(and love the looks that a female smoking one gets :P )
fatlittlepig
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

graeter's ice cream - available in 49 states - cincy based
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vveat wrote:Le Creuset.
Pricey Montessori for the kids
Amazon Prime
I snipped to highlight those I agree with.
Le Creuset - agree that they are the best, and if you don't have dumbells, can fill in when doing deadlifts
Montessori - glad that my wife and I agreed on this as it was non-negotiable. My wife credits Montessori as more important to her career success than college or graduate degree. We've kept an eye on the kids in our kids' cohort, and they've all done very well over the past decade or so
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

i think all non tap water products/bottled water is the biggest scam ever in the history of scams.
for me- only fresh tap water that originated in the beautiful aquifers of my state purified and regulated by the EPA.
bottled water-- tap water purified by bottled water companies + petroleum based plastics = sold at $$$$ markup. Just sayin'
Sam I Am wrote:I smoke good cigars, but I buy seconds. Much cheaper, and they are the same, except for perhaps a spot on the wrapper.

So I smoke premium, but pay less.

We drink Zephyrhills spring water at home; I suppose anything other than tap water is a premium product.

I got hooked on Zephyrhills spring water while I was in the hospital for a few months. The hospital water was awful, as the hospital was on a different water system than my home. So the nurses got my water from their water coolers. When I got home I didn't even like my regular water supply any longer.

So, we spend $35-$50/month on Zhills water for our water cooler. Easy place for a budget cut if ever necessary. :happy

We also have a set of Cutco knives and cutlery. I bought most of them from a college friend of a daughter. I was an easy target. But, I'll agree with an earlier poster, they are good quality, and darned sharp! We have the set with the white handles, and they have changed a bit, but nothing else. Wife did melt a handle on one knife, but that was her fault.

Sam I Am
fatlittlepig
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Sam I Am wrote:I smoke good cigars, but I buy seconds. Much cheaper, and they are the same, except for perhaps a spot on the wrapper.

We drink Zephyrhills spring water at home; I suppose anything other than tap water is a premium product.

I got hooked on Zephyrhills spring water while I was in the hospital for a few months. The hospital water was awful, as the hospital was on a different water system than my home. So the nurses got my water from their water coolers. When I got home I didn't even like my regular water supply any longer.

So, we spend $35-$50/month on Zhills water for our water cooler. Easy place for a budget cut if ever necessary. :happy

We also have a set of Cutco knives and cutlery. I bought most of them from a college friend of a daughter. I was an easy target. But, I'll agree with an earlier poster, they are good quality, and darned sharp! We have the set with the white handles, and they have changed a bit, but nothing else. Wife did melt a handle on one knife, but that was her fault.

Sam I Am
I like the seconds too. J&R Cigar has some nice options at great prices. Those you can buy in bundles and really save. I have a Macanudo Maduro that I'm going to smoke tonight.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Sam I Am wrote:
fatlittlepig wrote:i think all non tap water products/bottled water is the biggest scam ever in the history of scams.
for me- only fresh tap water that originated in the beautiful aquifers of my state purified and regulated by the EPA.
bottled water-- tap water purified by bottled water companies + petroleum based plastics = sold at $$$$ markup. Just sayin'

Sam I Am
Well, you are correct on much bottled water. Some indeed is processed tap water.

Not all though. Just read the label. Zephyrhills is a natural spring here in Florida, about 30 miles from our home. Years ago we took bottles to the spring for filling. Now Nestle brings them to us.

Drinking water that I like is just one of the vices I can afford now after a life of living below my means. One of the cheaper vices, as well.

Sam I Am
For consumable water - I find a reverse osmosis unit to be a nice "premium product". Costs about $100/year for filters after install expenses but they produce very nice, pure water - gets rid of just about every contaminant in the h2o but it still tastes good. I have a well which has quite a bit of iron, molybdenum and huge amounts of calcium as well as sulfur. I quite like the natural taste w/ all the minerals but some people don't - the RO unit water makes everyone happy
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

I see many favorites already mentioned! Here are my personal favorites:

Thermapen
Le Creuset
Weber Grills
All Clad
Calphalon
Newman's Own
Ducktrap Farms
Trung Nguyen coffee
Harney & Sons tea
Lea & Perrins
Apple
Samsung
Porsche
Mercedes Benz
Cathay Pacific
Intrawest
Disney
Arc'teryx
Levis
Armani
Ping
Scubapro
Lego
Cohiba (Habanos)
Midleton Distillery
Glenmorangie
Dom Perignon
HBO
Warren Buffett
Vanguard
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ocean Spray Juices,Febreze Products,Canon,Sony Cameras,Honda autos-lawnmowers,Nike sandals,Sonic toothbrushes,Samsung TV :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jodi

Post by Jodi »

I don't have a lot of money to play with since I'm finishing an EM residency in 2 weeks, but I have my weaknesses

Wine- I love buying wine straight from US wineries. Way more than I should afford, but bringing a quality bottle along when I go out with friends is worth it to me. I currently buy from Carlisle, Kosta Browne and Gramercy Cellars
Coffee- I have a Jura espresso maker. It was a gift, but I'm hooked on making my own espresso at the push of a button.
Food- I'm a sucker for going to a nice restaurant and ordering without regard to price. I do it very infrequently, but never with regret.
Bikes- I have two bikes. I do not sacrifice quality. I justify it because years later there is still no interest in upgrading and it is a hobby I love.

On the flip side, I have a 10 year old Hyundai that I plan to run into the ground....

Jodi
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Toilet Paper - I am not willing to buy cheap stuff. If Cottonelle ever goes out of business, it will be a very sad day for me.

Alcohol - Life is too short to not enjoy what you drink.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

life is too short to ingest hepatotoxic liquids but that's just my opinion.

Dulocracy wrote:Toilet Paper - I am not willing to buy cheap stuff. If Cottonelle ever goes out of business, it will be a very sad day for me.

fatlittlepig
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Ecco Shoes

Vitamix blender

An urban condominium in a marvelous location

And a new one: Upgrading to Gold status via the Hilton Hotels "Surpass" card with American Express.

La Bella Signora and I are traveling for the balance of this year. Thus far, we have stayed at Hilton properties in Rome, Tel Aviv, and Nicosia, Cyprus (in fact, I am posting this from the latter locale). In each location, we have been upgraded to the "Executive Floor," with free breakfast, and large suite, and (in Tel Aviv) access to a marvelous evening buffet that put the local eateries to shame. The upgrade is subject to space available, so we could have gone "0 for 3" with our travels this far. But, so far, our level of comfort and ease has been greatly enhanced by this "premium" splurge.

All this does depend on an active travel schedule, but we have been very, very pleased with the results.

Oh, and we cashed in frequent flyer miles to fly to Rome in Business, and with those fully reclining seats. Spoiled!!!!
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Professor Emeritus

what a great thread

Post by Professor Emeritus »

Kingsford Charcoal
Calphalon anything
Sabatier carbon steel knives
Zwilling stainless steel knives
Samsonite luggage
Timex explorer watches
Rockport prowalker shoes.
Columbia sportswear
Dorfman pacific hats
Canon IS II Stabilized binoculars.
Nikon waterproof binoculars
Panasonic Lumix 4/3 cameras
Dockers slacks
HP printers
G12

Post by G12 »

Flashes1 it is "Lagunitas" beer, very nice beer lineup and good quality for the price point.

All the love for Thermapen and no one uses a ceramic smoker/grill??

Primo Oval XL ceramic smoker/grill & an instant read Thermapen, upfront cost is more but durability 6-yrs in has been outstanding and the gasser and old metal smoker were gone 2-weeks after purchasing the Primo
Wicked Good lump charcoal, due to density and size of the lump it lasts much longer than most charcoal
Multitude of craft beer brands
Organic 100% blue agave tequila
Wife likes organic agave nectar over any form of other sweetners
Organic fruits/vegetables
Better'n peanut butter (this is some good stuff and much lower fat content than regular PB)
Organic almond butter
I do like Michelin tires, comfortable ride/low noise/durability and good wet traction
Splurging on a very nice vacation every now and then
Guess we are more into creature comforts than large ticket items
ETA - Dri Fit/Quick Dry, etc for athletic wear and undergarments, cotton is gone.

Regarding the grass fed beef comments, isn't one really asking if the grass raised/fed beef is grain finished, not grass finished, to improve fat content, moisture and texture? I like grass fed for hamburger, steaks and other cuts not so much. We don't eat much red meat anymore FWIW.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

G12, I am curious, since you are consuming little red meat...are you using your smoker for? chicken, fish ? other food items?

Also, WRT agave syrup = lots of fructose. Just FYI, not triggering a debate...your own due diligence of course.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

fatlittlepig wrote:life is too short to ingest hepatotoxic liquids but that's just my opinion.

Dulocracy wrote:Toilet Paper - I am not willing to buy cheap stuff. If Cottonelle ever goes out of business, it will be a very sad day for me.

I didn't know beer was toxic. I'm screwed. :oops:
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I know this has been somewhat covered before, but I still didn't find a convincing answer.

What makes a $160 knife that much better than a $30 (or less) knife? I have a <$30 knife, and honestly, I can't find a single thing wrong with it. I've been using it for 5 years, occasionally sharpen it on a plug-in sharpener, and it's never had any issues or instances where I felt it was lacking. Durabilitywise as well, it's fine - I have to make myself sharpen it as it only minimally loses cutting ability even afer dulled.

Someone convince me that those premium knives are actually worth the 5x cost - I'm all ears, really. I'd definitely invest in one if they were that good, but I also have friends who have some and I was shocked (horrified) when they told me that the knife I casually picked up to help them cut fruit for the BBQ in the kitchen was a $150 knife when I thought it was a $10 knife inferior to mine!
DieselEngineer

Post by DieselEngineer »

beanstock wrote:
DieselEngineer wrote:
Sidney wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:Well made comfortable shoes.
Many years ago when I was just starting my career, I asked an older fellow what advice he could give me. The first words out of his mouth were "wear comfortable shoes."
I went through a plethora of different work boots before splurging on Redwings. My only regret is not buying them sooner. :oops:
I recently bought a pair of Redwing shoes for $150. It is the lower-end model made in China. I think their china-made stuff is of horrible quality. The leather scuffs very easily, and my shoe looks over a year old in spite of being just 3 months old. I feel these shoes are worth more like 80 bucks or so.
I never noticed the scuffing issue, though that's probably due to normal wear and tear aboard ship. They are the only boots I've found, for me, where my feet breathe and the soles hold up to the high-profile non-skid. I use the pull on boots.
Went from 14 funds to 4 Funds - TSM, TISM, F, and G!
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

fatlittlepig wrote:life is too short to ingest hepatotoxic liquids but that's just my opinion.

I will take it that you are a teetotaler, which I respect. I, however, enjoy a glass of wine, port, or beer with dinner. I will even take a little scotch whisky sometimes. Because I have about two drinks per week, I want them to be good. I will usually have wine rather than dessert. From the latest medical information, my two glasses a week should not have some horrible effect on me. With all the crazy organic fresh fruits and veggies my wife feeds me, I figure I am doing better than most. For her, food would be the quality issue.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

lightheir wrote:Someone convince me that those premium knives are actually worth the 5x cost - I'm all ears, really. I'd definitely invest in one if they were that good, but I also have friends who have some and I was shocked (horrified) when they told me that the knife I casually picked up to help them cut fruit for the BBQ in the kitchen was a $150 knife when I thought it was a $10 knife inferior to mine!
I'm not a $150 knife person but it may be that they don't take care of the knife and keep it sharpened. My sister just throws her knives in a drawer and also puts good kitchen knives in the dishwasher.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatlittlepig

Post by fatlittlepig »

I was tempted to buy the Ron popiel knive set after seeing the informercial many many times but the reviews online weren't too great. knives I suspect are a product where you do get what you pay for.

Sam I Am wrote:
lightheir wrote:I know this has been somewhat covered before, but I still didn't find a convincing answer.

What makes a $160 knife that much better than a $30 (or less) knife? I have a <$30 knife, and honestly, I can't find a single thing wrong with it. I've been using it for 5 years, occasionally sharpen it on a plug-in sharpener, and it's never had any issues or instances where I felt it was lacking. Durabilitywise as well, it's fine - I have to make myself sharpen it as it only minimally loses cutting ability even afer dulled.

Someone convince me that those premium knives are actually worth the 5x cost - I'm all ears, really. I'd definitely invest in one if they were that good, but I also have friends who have some and I was shocked (horrified) when they told me that the knife I casually picked up to help them cut fruit for the BBQ in the kitchen was a $150 knife when I thought it was a $10 knife inferior to mine!
You could probably do the same tasks with Ron Popiel's collection of knives. A knife is a tool, and some tools are better quality, and quality is appreciated by lots of folks. Heck, Ron will sell you TWO sets of 20 knives for a pittance.

You wouldn't find many tools from Harbor Freight in a mechanics tool box, though it could be argued they would do the same job as many of the much more expensive tools a mechanic might need. Until they don't, and need replacing. I actually have some tools from Harbor Freight. But I don't make a living pulling wrenches. I might need a particular tool once or twice a year, and I'm not apt to wear any of them out. So, cheaply made, seldom used tools are OK in some circumstances. Sometimes not, though.

Some of the knife sets some posters have discussed/mentioned will still be good as new when the original owner's grandchildren receive them. Quality lasts. Some cooks enjoy working with the finer tools of their trade, like any other pursuit.

But, quality has many levels. Unfortunately price isn't always the best measure of quality. Just like any other product, you have to educate yourself, or the market will educate you.

I can't say if your friend' knife set is 5 times better than your set, or not. Check back in 30-40 years and see who still has their set. Of course an argument could be made that you can purchase 5 sets and still be in the same shape as your friend. Or, maybe not.

I like quality goods as much as the next person. But that doesn't mean I always buy the absolute best. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Sam I Am
fatlittlepig
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

Expensive kitchen knives are often a scam, since they are sold by status conscious buyers buying on brand name. They are often no different in quality from much cheaper knives and may even be made in the same factories.

However, expensive collectible pocket knives are often works of art. Many are hand made or machined in small boutique shops. Some have the marks of incredibly fine craftsmanship that you may have to be a craftsman yourself to be able to appreciate.

People who buy fine knives don't buy them because they cut better than cheaper knives (though they do) but because they value their individuality and style.

There is also a lively collectors market, to the point where you can frequently earn more by selling a knife than you paid for it, if the maker's reputation has risen since you bought the knife. There's a whole category on eBay where you can see this phenomenon in action.
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

A very interesting thread, good to have many perspectives about stuff, I agree it is all relative though. Well, here is my stuff- ordinary for some and may be premium for others... whatever.

- All Toyotas,to my children's and friend's chagrin, nothing German for me. They have served me very well thru the years. Presently we have a Avalon, Camry and a Sienna. Amsoil signature series 15000 miles synthetic motor oil and Filters - more than worth it.
- A good house in a better neighborhood, guard gated, etc...
- I never realized I was buying premium when I bought some of these, ... Thinkpads, HP Printers, Scan Snap scanners, Rockport good arch shoes, Samsonite Luggage, Ralph Lauren Polos, Jos A Bank white shirts for work and formal Suits, Saucony Gym shoes.
- Private schools for both kids and funded a Ivy college for one, public schools in our town are nothing to brag home about.
- Moen Faucets, Kohler bathroom pieces, Hunter Fans, Yamaha music system...etc..

Best regards
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Sam I Am wrote:
lightheir wrote:I know this has been somewhat covered before, but I still didn't find a convincing answer.

You could probably do the same tasks with Ron Popiel's collection of knives. A knife is a tool, and some tools are better quality, and quality is appreciated by lots of folks. Heck, Ron will sell you TWO sets of 20 knives for a pittance.

You wouldn't find many tools from Harbor Freight in a mechanics tool box, though it could be argued they would do the same job as many of the much more expensive tools a mechanic might need. Until they don't, and need replacing. I actually have some tools from Harbor Freight. But I don't make a living pulling wrenches. I might need a particular tool once or twice a year, and I'm not apt to wear any of them out. So, cheaply made, seldom used tools are OK in some circumstances. Sometimes not, though.

Some of the knife sets some posters have discussed/mentioned will still be good as new when the original owner's grandchildren receive them. Quality lasts. Some cooks enjoy working with the finer tools of their trade, like any other pursuit.

But, quality has many levels. Unfortunately price isn't always the best measure of quality. Just like any other product, you have to educate yourself, or the market will educate you.

I can't say if your friend' knife set is 5 times better than your set, or not. Check back in 30-40 years and see who still has their set. Of course an argument could be made that you can purchase 5 sets and still be in the same shape as your friend. Or, maybe not.

I like quality goods as much as the next person. But that doesn't mean I always buy the absolute best. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Sam I Am
I sort of see what you're tring to say, but it leaves me pretty unconvinced that those expense knife sets really do function better, at least based on what you're saying. I'm not planning on keeping/using any knife for 40 years. If that's the criteria for paying big bucks, I'm going to pass - I have almost nothing that I plan on keeping for that long when it comes to functional items used on a regular basis.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

lightheir wrote:
I sort of see what you're tring to say, but it leaves me pretty unconvinced that those expense knife sets really do function better, at least based on what you're saying. I'm not planning on keeping/using any knife for 40 years. If that's the criteria for paying big bucks, I'm going to pass - I have almost nothing that I plan on keeping for that long when it comes to functional items used on a regular basis.
I've found the highly-rated reviews for cheap Amazon knives to have some interesting discussion about balancing price and quality. We bought my brother and his wife some Ginsu knives for Christmas about reading the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-7108-Chikar ... ords=ginsu We have a cheaper version that has pretty decent blades (excellent, for the money) but feels light and cheap in your hands. We cook enough that an upgrade would have been a good idea, but we don't take it seriously enough to invest several hundred dollars--we mostly just cook to eat something fairly healthy, fairly local/seasonal, which makes leftovers. (Coincidentally, due to the long growing season here and our propensity to overbuy at the farmer's market, that mostly ends up being catch-all stir-fry meals!)
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

On the issue of knives, it seems that almost every article I read on the subject of "must have kitchen items on the cheap" mentions just going to a restaurant supply store and picking up 10 or so various types of knives for less than $10 or so a piece, using them for a year, and then buying another set when they are worn out. Can't say that I've ever followed such a suggestion, but I do see its merit.