can i buy my sportscar?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Wolkenspiel

Re: can i buy my sportscar?

Post by Wolkenspiel »

RooseveltG wrote:Consider a weekend rental (only available in some cities). By Monday morning, you will have it out of your system. The fantasy is better than the reality.
I would second that suggestion, but change it a little bit: Fly to Germany, rent a 911 from Avis for a few days (208 Euro/day), and see what you think. You will at least be able to use a little bit of the cars potential without looking over your shoulder all the time. I once rented a 996 C4S for a few days. It was fun and worth the $2/mile, but it wasn't the life-changing experience I had imagined. Much faster in a straight line, but less "special" than a Lotus Elise.
Topic Author
sambb

Post by sambb »

Thanks to all for the advice. After looking at 1 year old 911s and 2-3 year old boxsters, and feeling guilty about the money despite loving the cars, I bought a 2 year old convertible and love it. Spent high 30s, instead of 75-80k, and I am getting equal enjoyment i think. I want to thank everyone for the advice. It is nice to control one's occasional spending impulses, and i am happy with the choice.
Deepsea

Post by Deepsea »

Get the car and live !
You will die one day.
The 75k is not flushed down the toilet.
I only got a bit more and my gt3 was 140k new
Gt3 sucks as a daily.
Get the 997S. Skip the heavy awd 4.
The S2 is less expensive and more fun to drive than the 4.
Deepsea

Post by Deepsea »

Ok u you cheaped out on yourself.

He who dies with the most money still dies
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

The sweet spot on Porsche's right now appears to be 2000-2004 turbos with sub 30K miles. Amazing performance, modern looks, but under $40-$45K.

That's what I'd get. In fact, maybe I will. I do turn 40 this year.
jbm879

Post by jbm879 »

You could have easily afforded it. Why so conservative? Should have gotten what u really wanted. You only live once.
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

its not the money, its the time, do you have the time to enjoy it? Or is this the fourth toy in line collecting dust in the garage?
RenoJay

Post by RenoJay »

Do it. Your savings habit is fantastic, so if this can be a one-time splurge, enjoy it! (I'm postponing my midlife crisis until space tourism becomes a reality.)
jbourne99

Post by jbourne99 »

The car is relatively cheap given your circumstances.

For me I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from my sports car that I've had for 10+ years now and it is easily the best material possession purchase I've had.
MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 »

Good for you. Convertbles are fun, and any 911 will be a sheer joy to drive. I just watched an old DVD of "Victory by Design" on Porsche. You've got a great car. Now make it your own. Maybe by taking it to a track day through the Porsche Club, or to autocross school.
Batousai

Post by Batousai »

sambb wrote:Thanks to all for the advice. After looking at 1 year old 911s and 2-3 year old boxsters, and feeling guilty about the money despite loving the cars, I bought a 2 year old convertible and love it. Spent high 30s, instead of 75-80k, and I am getting equal enjoyment i think. I want to thank everyone for the advice. It is nice to control one's occasional spending impulses, and i am happy with the choice.
Good call.
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

sambb wrote:Thanks to all for the advice. After looking at 1 year old 911s and 2-3 year old boxsters, and feeling guilty about the money despite loving the cars, I bought a 2 year old convertible and love it. Spent high 30s, instead of 75-80k, and I am getting equal enjoyment i think. I want to thank everyone for the advice. It is nice to control one's occasional spending impulses, and i am happy with the choice.
As long as it was a convertible C4S, which I doubt, then it was a good decision. Otherwise you should have gotten a 991. smh.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

og15F1 wrote:
As long as it was a convertible C4S, which I doubt, then it was a good decision. Otherwise you should have gotten a 991. smh.
For 30 grand I'm pretty sure he got a Boxster and not a C4S. Congratulations! Thats a fine car.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I was once a member of a frugality type forum where a guy who was otherwise frugal, fulfilled a lifelong dream of owning a rare and exquisite musical instrument. Less than six months later, he was dead. Shut them up pretty quick.

Balance, harmony, expectations...all that..

Peace, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

cheese_breath wrote:You need to ask your wife's permission, not ours.
My friend's wife would not let him buy a roadster until he got cancer. It was his life's dream. The cancer made her feel guilty.

Ah, the joys of marriage....(giggle...)
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

It always kind of creeps me out when people talk about needing permission to do something in a marriage...

Seems like there is either mutual agreement on something...or not. That's it. Permission just sounds like a power or control issue.

Back to your on topic programming, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

You may buy the car.

Or you may buy a Rolex.

You may not buy both.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Barefootgirl wrote:It always kind of creeps me out when people talk about needing permission to do something in a marriage...

Seems like there is either mutual agreement on something...or not. That's it. Permission just sounds like a power or control issue.

Big purchases should always be discussed with the spouse since they can have significant impact not just financially but also in terms of lifestyle and values. Not a power or control issue at all. In fact, having the personal right to spend large amounts of family money "as I please without asking" is a much bigger power issue to address, as to why one family member can behave this way whereas the other has to just accept it without input.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

lightheir wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:It always kind of creeps me out when people talk about needing permission to do something in a marriage...

Big purchases should always be discussed with the spouse since they can have significant impact not just financially but also in terms of lifestyle and values. Not a power or control issue at all. In fact, having the personal right to spend large amounts of family money "as I please without asking" is a much bigger power issue to address, as to why one family member can behave this way whereas the other has to just accept it without input.
I think the issue was the difference between "permission" and "mutual agreement", not about unilateral large expenses. A difference one might find important or not. I'm not sure most folks parse their language with enough precision for this to matter, in that the two in general use are pretty well interchangeable. At any rate I personally would leave it up any given couple to use whichever term and process they prefer.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Barefootgirl wrote:I was once a member of a frugality type forum where a guy who was otherwise frugal, fulfilled a lifelong dream of owning a rare and exquisite musical instrument. Less than six months later, he was dead. Shut them up pretty quick.

Balance, harmony, expectations...all that..

Peace, BFG

If he got to play it for six months, it may have been worth it.

Especially if his heir is a musician and gets to play it.

The other option would be to die with more money. I'd rather die after playing my dream sax for six months than die with more money. LIke you said, balance, harmony, expectations...all that.
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi sambb

Yes!! Do it. I did, except my dream car is an, All-American, Corvette Convertible. It looks very similar to this: (except the wheels are nicer - chrome 15 spokes special ordered instead of the standard ones.) And I just got my vanity plates about two months ago. They read, "Chery CV"

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/11369225.jpg

I had been looking online for a long while. It was the exact color I wanted; as close to, "Candy Apple Red," that came stock from dealerships.- (Crystal Red Metallic tintcoat). It is absolutely beautiful with little flecks of gold.

I asked myself this question; "How would I feel if I didn't get this car ? Awful, so I knew I HAD to buy it. I also thought that in a few years I'll be too old to really enjoy it like I do now. I didn't want to end up saying, "I regret not buying it." I park it in the carport with the cover over it when I don't drive it. When I take the cover off, it is exciting every time I see it. Then when I start her up, Wow, it is such a nice sound. When you get on it, the baffles open up and it has that wonderful tuned dual exhaust sound.

It has a, "cashmere" ragtop, and matching interior. I always saw the black top and interior, but the light top is stunning with the red. Every time I take it out-(which is always exciting), and I park, people come up to me and we generally spend a few minutes together talking about corvettes. I absolutely love it.

These are the options:

It has a manual transmission-which I wanted, with the tuned dual exhaust. It generates 6 more hp than stock, to total 436 hp total. The first owner paid, $1,000.00 more for this option.

It has a:
Z-51 performance package with larger cross drilled brake rotors
Heads up display
Side impact airbags
Telescoping steering wheel
Heated memory seats
Power convertible top
Dual zone climate control
Polished aluminum 15 spoke wheels - 18" Front, 19" rear
Tuned dual exhaust with baffles - nice and loud! --->Varoooom!
6 cd player-upgraded Bose stereo with 7 speakers
Fog lamps
Blue tooth

They also say, when a corvette breaks down and you are on the side of the road, you won't be there alone for long, as other corvette drivers will stop and lend a hand. :)
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

sambb wrote:can i have permission to buy my sports car?
I drive a toyota camry which i would keep, sprts car for the weekends and fun
car i want is 75k - would pay outright, keep for 8-10 years
I tried this a little over a year ago. Bought my dream car. Within six months realized I made a huge mistake.

After many many test drives of various replacement contenders, I ended up buying a brand new 2013 Toyota Camry which in just about every way is far superior aside from looks, acceleration, and cornering.

Had my sports car for just about exactly 11 months. Lost a little bit of money.. Sounds like you can afford it. Often times the pursuit of something, or day dreaming about it, is a lot more fun than the reality.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Mingus wrote: Often times the pursuit of something, or day dreaming about it, is a lot more fun than the reality.
Better git it in your soul.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

In 1987, I was doing a fellowship in LA and four months into the job I felt alone and miserable. One beautiful evening, while watching the happy people rollerblading up and down the strand, I realized the problem was me- my New England attitude towards Southern Calfiornia- and decided to do something about it. I had $7800 to my name and my old rusted out New England car- a 1980 Datsun 210 that strangers on the 405 freeway went out of their way to insult. I figured, ok, when in Rome do as the Romans do. So I would buy the first Porsche 911 convertible I could find the next day for under $7800.

I woke up and immediately gave my car to a friend who needed it even more than I did, on the contingency that she drive me around to find my "dream car". Giving the car away was incentive to make sure I bought a car by the end of the day, because a day without a car in LA can be hell. By mid-day I purchased a 1969, or 1968 (I forget), red 911 convertible with a perfect body for $6900. I should have been suspicious when I saw the fire extinguisher by the gear shift. That night I drove to Westwood and blew $800 of my remaining $900 on a new wardrobe, so that I would look like Don Johnson. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it right.

Over the course of the next 12 months the car probably spent at least 6 in the shop. My meager fellowship salary was hemorrhaging on repairs and cheap rentals. That said, though I don't think the car itself got me any more women, my attitude changed, and that did get me more women. I joined a gym. I started rollerblading up and down the strand with the others. It was probably worth the investment.

Plus I got it out of my system. I sold the car the day I advertised it when I returned to Massachusetts for $8500 with full disclosure, after two breakdowns on the way home, one in rural CO and one in Chatham, NY, which collectively delayed my return about two weeks. And a lot of scary skidding in the snow. I've been driving Hondas ever since.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

This is it, why I drive a 50 yo car at every opportunity. Congratulations from one enthusiast to another, and great post.

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Hi sambb

Yes!! Do it. I did, except my dream car is an, All-American, Corvette Convertible. It looks very similar to this: (except the wheels are nicer - chrome 15 spokes special ordered instead of the standard ones.) And I just got my vanity plates about two months ago. They read, "Chery CV"

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/11369225.jpg

I had been looking online for a long while. It was the exact color I wanted; as close to, "Candy Apple Red," that came stock from dealerships.- (Crystal Red Metallic tintcoat). It is absolutely beautiful with little flecks of gold.

I asked myself this question; "How would I feel if I didn't get this car ? Awful, so I knew I HAD to buy it. I also thought that in a few years I'll be too old to really enjoy it like I do now. I didn't want to end up saying, "I regret not buying it." I park it in the carport with the cover over it when I don't drive it. When I take the cover off, it is exciting every time I see it. Then when I start her up, Wow, it is such a nice sound. When you get on it, the baffles open up and it has that wonderful tuned dual exhaust sound.

It has a, "cashmere" ragtop, and matching interior. I always saw the black top and interior, but the light top is stunning with the red. Every time I take it out-(which is always exciting), and I park, people come up to me and we generally spend a few minutes together talking about corvettes. I absolutely love it.

These are the options:

It has a manual transmission-which I wanted, with the tuned dual exhaust. It generates 6 more hp than stock, to total 436 hp total. The first owner paid, $1,000.00 more for this option.

It has a:
Z-51 performance package with larger cross drilled brake rotors
Heads up display
Side impact airbags
Telescoping steering wheel
Heated memory seats
Power convertible top
Dual zone climate control
Polished aluminum 15 spoke wheels - 18" Front, 19" rear
Tuned dual exhaust with baffles - nice and loud! --->Varoooom!
6 cd player-upgraded Bose stereo with 7 speakers
Fog lamps
Blue tooth

They also say, when a corvette breaks down and you are on the side of the road, you won't be there alone for long, as other corvette drivers will stop and lend a hand. :)
matjen

Post by matjen »

protagonist wrote: That said, though I don't think the car itself got me any more women, my attitude changed, and that did get me more women. I joined a gym. I started rollerblading up and down the strand with the others. It was probably worth the investment.
As a Porsche driver I hate the stereotype that guys buy these cars to get women. Who the heck would want a woman that likes you for your car? Although some of this is subjective, Porsches just provide me a more enjoyable driving experience. The sounds, the responsiveness, the brakes, etc. Having said that, I own a 2003 Boxster S which I love. At the time I was very close to getting a Honda S2000 which is an equally great car in my opinion. A truly wonderful, underrated car in fact. I got the Porsche because I new I would want buy one eventually anyway so no better time than the present. No regrets.

P.S. Love the Better Git it in Your Soul reference Protagonist!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Duplicate post- can't delete...please ignore.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

protagonist wrote: That said, though I don't think the car itself got me any more women, my attitude changed, and that did get me more women. I joined a gym. I started rollerblading up and down the strand with the others. It was probably worth the investment.
matjen wrote:As a Porsche driver I hate the stereotype that guys buy these cars to get women. Who the heck would want a woman that likes you for your car?
Anybody who is young and stupid.
matjen wrote:P.S. Love the Better Git it in Your Soul reference Protagonist!
Thanks. Due to your appreciation I'm adding the link, hoping others enjoy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObThIZ_ZoQ
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

matjen wrote:
protagonist wrote: That said, though I don't think the car itself got me any more women, my attitude changed, and that did get me more women.
As a Porsche driver I hate the stereotype that guys buy these cars to get women. Who the heck would want a woman that likes you for your car?
I am currently driving my GF's Audi S5 because she is out of the country and I offered to get some things fixed on it while she was gone, it needed a basic tune up and had a slow leak in one of the tires. It's her company car, she doesn't pay a penny for it other than basic maintenance. Monday we had a BBQ at my home, without even knowing whose car it was parked in the driveway the girl who one of my roommates is dating loudly commented "whoever is driving the Audi is sexy, I don't care what he looks like." I also received a somewhat similar comment last Sunday in the parking lot of church. Another roommate of mine is unemployed and essentially broke, but was given a late-model BMW M3 when his grandfather died and the vast majority of his dates are acquired via his car. The reality is a lot of girls in my age bracket (20-30) are extremely interested in the car you drive, and nothing is more important to young single guys than acquiring female interest. All 4 of my roommates drive cars which they realistically can not afford, the primary reason being it attracts women (girls). I drive a vehicle which (new) was less than 3-months of my income and have immediately taken a girl home on a date because she made a comment about my previous car, but it is what it is.