How do I find a good investment adviser in MA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jim47

How do I find a good investment adviser in MA?

Post by jim47 »

I would like to hire a good financial planner and investment adviser who generally shares the Boglehead point of view. Can any of you point me in the right direction? Do you have any specific advisers you can recommend (if that is allowed on this blog.) I live in MA. I would prefer fee only. I need advise and help with investments, and with financial planning and retirement planning in general.

Thank you in advance.

Jim
ObliviousInvestor

Re: How do I find a good investment adviser in MA?

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Are you looking for just the financial planning (i.e., advice)? Or are you also looking for somebody who will actually run the portfolio for you?

I'd try the Garrett Planning Network and/or NAPFA. Or, if you don't care about whether or not the person is local, you could try one of the advisors who participate here on the forum.

In either case, I'd use the SEC Adviser Search website to look up the RIA's Form ADV II. This document tells you (without any sales-talk) what investment strategies they use and how they charge for their services.

Edited to add: This is unrelated and obviously not really important, but this is a forum, not a blog. :-)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
dbr

Post by dbr »

The above is good.

My experience is that it is extraordinarily difficult to find anyone who will not demand an AUM arrangement, so be prepared for that.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Unless you have a complex situation and/or MILLIONS to deal with, the best answer could easily be to stay on this forum and learn what you need to know to do it yourself...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
jim47

Post by jim47 »

What is an AUM? I am looking for advice--- perhaps management not sure . Roth conversion ? SS questions? Fixed income, pension rollover etc. I have far too many funds and need help consolidating dealing with capital gains. I will check out the reference above and I thank you.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

jim47 wrote:What is an AUM? I am looking for advice--- perhaps management not sure . Roth conversion ? SS questions? Fixed income, pension rollover etc. I have far too many funds and need help consolidating dealing with capital gains. I will check out the reference above and I thank you.
AUM stands for assets under management. Many advisors are only looking for an asset management relationship, where they handle your portfolio and you give them a fee each year calculated as a percentage of your AUM.

The Garrett Network mentioned above does mostly hourly-fee advice.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
BL

Post by BL »

The Wizard wrote:Unless you have a complex situation and/or MILLIONS to deal with, the best answer could easily be to stay on this forum and learn what you need to know to do it yourself...
+1
You have possibly stumbled accidentally on a site which is loaded with good, unbiased, practical information in the Wiki, including book recommendations that will help prepare you for investing, whether or not you do it yourself. Also there is a recommended format if you wish to list pertinent information about your funds and what is available, from which a number of long-term Bogleheads will make some good recommendations of funds, etc. with no conflict of interest to color their suggested fund choices.