Who is the next Jack Bogle?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

Jack Bogle has been a prominent figure in the world of Investing for over 40 years, often being credited with pioneering the Index Fund and representing the Little Man's interests, for which we are all very grateful. Although Mr. Bogle has been successfully persuading others on his ideas for over 40 years, I've only recently converted after studying his and others' material, browsing these forums, and talking it over with like-minded friends. While it's fun to debate the merits of Tilting, optimal Portfolios, Rick Ferri's hair, and other basic investment issues, it's evident that Mr. Bogle can't remain in the vanguard on these topics forever. So, I wonder...

Is there someone today who can represent The Cause and do it as eloquently and succinctly as Jack Bogle has done for so long? Is there already someone waiting in the wings to take his place at the forefront? I feel cheated in that I joined the Bogleheads so late, having wasted many years paying various Financial Advisers who steered me in the wrong direction. Yet, now I feel fortunate to still catch a glimpse from time to time of Our Fearless Leader live on television or an online video, or to listen to a webcast.

How many baseball fans wish they could have watched Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle in their prime? Football fans to watch Jim Brown? Music lovers who missed out on The Beatles or Elvis Presley? I missed all of those, and almost missed Jack Bogle: a man just as influential in his Field as these examples were in theirs.
http://johncbogle.com/wordpress/ wrote:"If the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
Random Musings

Re: Who is the next Jack Bogle?

Post by Random Musings »

In various endeavors one can attempt to achieve in life, be it science, exploration, literature, the arts and even finance, there are certain individuals in history whose contributions will stand the test of time and never can be truly replaced.

Jack Bogle is one of those people.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

I guess if you would ask who is the next Jack Bogle, you might have to accept that Jack Bogle was possibly the next to someone else.

I think that all great men stand on the shoulders of giants, not in their shadows.

That said, I nominate Gus Sauter.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
xram

Post by xram »

VTI, VBR, VTWV, SCHH, VXUS, VEA, VWO, VSS, FM, VNQI, VBTLX, VFITX, SCHP, VWITX, IBONDS, EEBONDS, EF(EverBank), UTAH-529
momar

Post by momar »

Jeff Bezos. He has somehow convinced Wall Street that selling us stuff below cost is a good business plan.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee »

umfundi wrote:I guess if you would ask who is the next Jack Bogle, you might have to accept that Jack Bogle was possibly the next to someone else.

I think that all great men stand on the shoulders of giants, not in their shadows.

That said, I nominate Gus Sauter.

Keith
It is too early to know, but since Mr. Sauter has left Vanguard he might be in a position to speak out on financial industry issues, particularly if he stays retired, ends up at a think tank, as a college professor, as an independent consultant, or author instead of at a traditional company.
Randy | SCA - Build Savings early by living below one's means, minimize Costs including taxes, and maintain a diverse Allocation.
rmelvey

Post by rmelvey »

Kind of hard to top the index fund. The concept is eternal, because by definition all of us investors are the market. As a group, we are buy and hold :happy

However, I think we are still in the first innings as far as index proliferation goes. Bond indexing still has a ton of room left. We don't even have a real total bond market fund. I would love to have a fund that included every dollar denominated bond with the exception of munis. That would be really nice. I hate the idea of hedge funds front running the Barclays Agg when a bond gets downgraded below investment grade.

Not to get too out there, but I think that everyone is becoming a bit more like Bogle as time goes on. I think his impact will not diminish after his death, perhaps it will get even stronger. Kind of like what happens when a rock star dies :D
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

I believe Elizabeth Warren is becoming the next major advocate for Americans over financial institutions that are soaking us. She won't exactly be a Jack Bogle, but she's already publicizing the lack of prosecution of bank legal breaches on our behalf.

Just.