Great "investing" article

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Nozzle

Great "investing" article

Post by Nozzle »

Reading this made me smile:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/05/ ... -for-life/

For me it was a great reminder of what's important in life and not to obsess over money. I think it also plays well into the Boglehead mindset of simplicity and staying the course. The less time you have to spend poring over the details of investing, the more time you can invest in the important things in life.
Sbashore

Re: Great "investing" article

Post by Sbashore »

That was a good article. Thanks. :happy
Steve | Semper Fi
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Great article....could have been my life about 125 east of St. Louis. My mom dad were great people and while we didnt have much, it was more than enough.

Ed
kelage

Post by kelage »

Thank you for sharing. Very nice. :happy
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I had similar upbringing in blue collar family in Appalachia. Both parents worked to provide for us. We were latch key children before that term was established. Both my parents grew up in depression and it left indelible impression on how they used money and were thrifty. The older I get the more I appreciate their sacrifices and ability to provide for their family.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

Thanks for sharing. I can really identify. Growing up low-middle working class in a city then poor when my Dad abandoned the family at a young age. Support and love of family can carry you through a lot and they leave indelible marks on us as adults and parents. Like the writer, I too was "saved" by a scholarship to go to a rich private school in the suburbs and more hrs worked by my overworked Mom. I have more money now that my Mom can ever fathom and it certainly not that impressive by rich standards. It's why I don't obsess over whether the 4% SWR is too liberal or whether I can get by w a $2M number vs a safer $3,4,5,M as my enduring frame of reference is so much more humble...I did get by on A LOT less, and aside from some personal scars, I was happy.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Thanks for posting that. :happy I must have sent it to over twenty people.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

A very inspirational article. It reminds me of my family. We were not poor but did experience some financially lean years. Finances were not abundant but I had a good life growing up.
A fool and his money are good for business.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I think that there were a lot of people who came from a similar background.

I believe that the big difference between that generation and today's generations is that they were not spenders. They purchased items ONLY when they had the money available BUT did NOT hesitate to make investments in education.