Show us your M* Average MFund Exp Ratio %

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mhc

Re: Show us your M* Average MFund Exp Ratio %

Post by mhc »

Some say that expense ratio doesn't matter much once it's below a certain level.

Let's say you have $1,000,000 @ 0.25% ER vs 0.10% ER. That's $1500 a year extra by having the lower ER. It will have little impact on when one retires, but $1500/yr is significant to me. It is not picking up pennies. It's a family vacation or cable bill for a year or a couple of laptops or ....
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Duckie wrote:0.09%
Same here!
dimdum

Post by dimdum »

0.15 as per VG (includes VG IRA, 401K and Fido). Would be little lower as VG is picking wrong ER for Fido spartan funds.
Middle

Post by Middle »

What is this, the gloat post? I'm mostly out of all the actively managed funds I was in, but my 401k has ERs of nothing less than 0.30%, so I'd hazard a guess that I'd fall somewhere between 0.20 and 0.3%. But I was intrigued by this post
nisiprius wrote: I had been hanging on to Pax World Balanced Fund, a rather small holding--more than a token, but not a big percentage of my portfolio. It is an actively managed fund, and at that time, it had an expense ratio of about 1%. I justified it by noting that its past performance had been slightly higher than Vanguard Balanced Index, although it was obvious from its holdings why that was--more risk. Nothing extreme or unreasonable, good stuff, international, weighted toward midcaps. But some mischievous poster suggested calculating the absolute dollar number of expenses for each fund we held, and when I did, I was surprised to find that this small holding was costing me more total dollars than all of my Vanguard fund combined. I didn't do anything about it right away, but it ate at me, and eventually I dumped it.
I still have a couple of funds at Putnam (International Value Fund and the Income Fund) I was all set to transfer them until I noticed that both are beating Vanguard Total Int'l and Total Bond. So I thought I would let them ride until the first sign that they aren't anymore. Like nisiprius, they do not represent a large portion of my portfolio but if the performance is better, the performance is better, right?

Mainly I'm not thrilled with Total Bond fund because of my preference for shorter term bonds right now.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Middle wrote:What is this, the gloat post?
Of course :happy .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

Default User BR wrote:
Aptenodytes wrote:I don't quite see the point of this exercise.
I agree, as is so often in the case of these data-collection exercises. Average ER doesn't tell you much. You could a poor one that is as good as you can do. Conversely, you could have a good one with areas for improvement. The only ER examination that's useful is looking at each fund.

Brian
I started the thread while I was doing some financial "Spring cleaning" and, looking at some old account statements, was horrified with what I had been paying (losing) in fees and fund expense ratios. For me the savings is well into the five figure range annually so, based on any measure (nominal, marginal, relative, etc.) I am thrilled. Not gloating, but grateful.

Certainly, ER not everything. But it is one of a small handful of variables I can control (asset allocation and behavior being a couple of others). The fact that I can precisely calculate how much money that leaves in my account is a nice bonus.

So I posted this in a spirit of gratitude with a touch of fun. :beer
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

ruralavalon wrote:
Except, around here, we gloat about how small our cars are. :sharebeer
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
And how big our watches are! :D
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

0.10%.

Darn you TIPS fund for keeping me in double digits :annoyed
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
And how big our watches are! :D
It's been well documented that our leader dons a $14 watch. So I was a little annoyed when Amazon dropped the price for the watch of my choice from $14 to $9. :oops:
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

RNJ wrote:For me the savings is well into the five figure range annually so, based on any measure (nominal, marginal, relative, etc.) I am thrilled. Not gloating, but grateful.
Wow, that's a lot! Amazing how much the fees can take from you over time.