How Much Did You Spend on Your Engagement Ring??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
soaring

Re: How Much Did You Spend on Your Engagement Ring??

Post by soaring »

40 years ago $500. Wife lost set several years ago and replacement was $3500. Well worth it.

She smiles when it sparkles which is so often. While H&A "hearts and arrows" designation is etched in the diamond it has no "value" but it certainly sparkles and that is why. Diamonds that have certain proportions will glitter more and a few have H&A engraved from the grader...not seller. interesting anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_and_arrows

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own- ... r_id=19851
Desiderata
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Got engaged in December (wedding next week!). Fiance and I sat down together one day before hand & looked at our savings accounts. We subtracted how much we needed to leave as an emergency fund & for other goals and were left with about $10k. We decided, mutually, to spend no more than $3k on my engagement and put the rest towards our wedding. He picked the ring from some finalists I sent him & then surprised me with the proposal.

I think the idea of the entire thing being a secret is so silly. I read another forum about weddings, so many girls disappointed with the size & style of their engagement rings. Have the conversation about it together like an adult and come to an agreement. If you're not on the same page with this choice it probably won't be the last time you disagree about finances.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I didn't spend a dime, but Mr. Bungalow10 spent about $1250 in 2003. That was two weeks pay for him.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

I spent 17k when I bought it five years ago. I didn't follow any specific rules...my wife just gave me some hints about what her "dream" ring would look like and I did what I could to try to meet that dream. I know that's very unBogle-like and it's not the smartest investment out there, but it did make my wife very happy.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Chan_va wrote:If you do decide to get a diamond - go for quality over size and make sure its GIA certified. That will at least maximize resale value.
:shock: :oops:

I spent $1200...but I know a jeweler. It's appraised for $2800.

Just wanted something nice. Wife gets compliments all the time, and I picked it out myself. 8-)
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

yolli71 wrote:I know that's very unBogle-like and it's not the smartest investment out there, but it did make my wife very happy.
Making your wife happy is a smart investment even if it's hard to quantify.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

mlipps wrote:Got engaged in December (wedding next week!). Fiance and I sat down together one day before hand & looked at our savings accounts. We subtracted how much we needed to leave as an emergency fund & for other goals and were left with about $10k. We decided, mutually, to spend no more than $3k on my engagement and put the rest towards our wedding. He picked the ring from some finalists I sent him & then surprised me with the proposal.

I think the idea of the entire thing being a secret is so silly. I read another forum about weddings, so many girls disappointed with the size & style of their engagement rings. Have the conversation about it together like an adult and come to an agreement. If you're not on the same page with this choice it probably won't be the last time you disagree about finances.
Whew, so I'm not the only one!? The proposal (just about a month ago) was fairly romantic, but it had to be followed with, "yeah, so about that ring...". But she never really expected for me to find one. We looked together and, though the final choice was one I would have recognized as lovely and "her style", I don't think I ever would have found it, confidently purchased it, or have it accurately sized, without some buy-in.

Worked out great. 1920s art deco style with a modest diamond. $900 all in.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ProfessorX

Post by ProfessorX »

$10K @ BlueNile. The same ring at Tiffany's would have cost me close to $25K. BlueNile also had no tax.

Happy Wife, Happy Life. :D
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

mlipps wrote:I think the idea of the entire thing being a secret is so silly. I read another forum about weddings, so many girls disappointed with the size & style of their engagement rings. Have the conversation about it together like an adult and come to an agreement. If you're not on the same page with this choice it probably won't be the last time you disagree about finances.
Absolutely agree. My ex-wife had been sending me not so subtle hints (ie. emails with ads for rings, "oh isn't this beautiful?") for over a year before I proposed. She loved it until a few months later when she saw what her unemployed 27yr old junior college freshman soon-to-be BIL had put on her sister's finger.

Getting to that point with my current GF and I intend to have her completely involved in the process. She knows I am adamently against ever purchasing a conventional engagement ring again, but she will definitely be involved in the process this time around.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

We paid $4000 for a very nice platinum band with sapphire and diamonds, and $300 on ebay for a 1ct moissanite stone.

Her friends think the ring is "the most beautiful ring i've ever seen!" and that "you can tell he really loves you because he paid so much for this ring". She went to a baby shower and her friends passed around the ring and held the stone up to the light "wow, and your man really knows diamonds, because this one is an EXPENSIVE one!". We had the stone first, then bought the ring, then went into a local jewelry store to have them set the stone. We told them it was not a diamond. Every employee in the store rushed over to look. They asked if they could take it out into the sunlight, the looked with loupes under lamps, etc. I guess they had never seen one before. They did not look too happy about what they saw.

The problem is that she continually faces the problem of wanting to let people know, to tell them, HEY IT'S A FAKE STONE, no I did not spend $10,000 on a diamond. But that's sort of no one's business. On the other hand, it's human nature to make assumptions about people by what they wear, what they drive, etc. We did tell a few friends. And 3 of those friends also bought moissanite stones. They are perfect for bezel set rings. Every stone is a little different (color, brilliance, etc) so you can choose the one which looks right to you.

I know this wasn't your original question, but I can't help but to plug diamond synthetics when this topic comes up, for lurkers who may not realize how real they look nowadays.

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

ryuns wrote:
mlipps wrote:Got engaged in December (wedding next week!). Fiance and I sat down together one day before hand & looked at our savings accounts. We subtracted how much we needed to leave as an emergency fund & for other goals and were left with about $10k. We decided, mutually, to spend no more than $3k on my engagement and put the rest towards our wedding. He picked the ring from some finalists I sent him & then surprised me with the proposal.

Whew, so I'm not the only one!? The proposal (just about a month ago) was fairly romantic, but it had to be followed with, "yeah, so about that ring...". But she never really expected for me to find one. We looked together and, though the final choice was one I would have recognized as lovely and "her style", I don't think I ever would have found it, confidently purchased it, or have it accurately sized, without some buy-in.

Worked out great. 1920s art deco style with a modest diamond. $900 all in.
That's funny as mine is also a 1920's inspired ring (mine is a replica, not an original). He did buy the ring before he proposed though. Nothing wrong with you way either. :)
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Like another poster, I bought my wife's engagement ring from Blue Nile. I found their diamond ring to be significantly cheaper than other jewelers. I spent around $5k and did alot of research regarding the 4 C's. While $5k was alot, I figured this is something my wife will wear on her finger for the next 40+years so I wanted to get it right the first time so I didn't have to address the issue again years down the road. She was happy with the ring and I don't miss the $5k. It was money well spent for her happiness. We saved money on the wedding as we didn't have one and used the money to go to Paris and Nice and hung out in the French Riviera for 8 days. My trip was a third of the cost some people pay for weddings, $6k. Also, money well spent.
jmk

Post by jmk »

Do as I and use the engagement ring as part of your "emergency fund".
Last edited by jmk on Wed May 08, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

I make around 100k/yr. I got a very high quality diamond for $5k. It is not huge, but my wife loves it. It is pretty near perfect, which was more important to us than size (it is about 0.8) $5k can buy a lot of quality. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Almost two years later and my wife still says, "I have a sparkly" several times a week. She gets so much joy out of that ring, that I am glad that I got it. I could not imagine spending 1/3 of my income on a ring, but I also could not imagine going cheap on this item for her. Some of the answers on here are from a while back, so I am trying to give you current date, salary, and ring cost (as well as reaction of the recipient).

Edited to add: Actually, marriage was almost 2 years ago. Purchase of the ring will be 3 years ago next month.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

The amount you spend is irrelevant and will likely only be known by you and your insurer, although 2 months salary is indeed the norm.

Practically, buying a stone a little larger than the largest stone one of her friends' has is the answer.
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
musbane

Post by musbane »

37 years ago.

The subject never came up as far as I recall. Wait, I'll ask.

Nope,never came up.
MattE

Post by MattE »

I spent $3800 on hers in 2010. At the time that was about 3 weeks' gross salary. The central stone isn't real (cubic zirconia), but it has a few dozen much smaller high-quality diamonds inlaid about the band and was part of a designed matching pair (engagement ring\wedding band) so we were able to quickly and easily find a band that went with her engagement ring.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Small note about those who spent X and had it appraised at 3X. This is a well-known trick that your jeweler does to make you walk out happy. You can be certain that not only would they not buy it back for 3X, they probably would not buy it back for 0.5X.

Ask for a 'replacement-value' appraisal, and be clear that you are seeking what it would cost from that jeweler to replace. Your insurance will be a multiple of the appraisal, so otherwise you are just costing yourself money.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I blew $5,500 back in 2005 but that included the matching diamond wedding band.

I had just gotten completely out of debt and it was all the cash I had on hand.

Now - the trip to Sandestin, Florida and the free use of a 3,000 square foot beach house in a gated community (with a private beach) to do the proposin'. That was priceless. :D

She never saw it coming and the ring is nice enough that all her single friends at the time spit nails. Having a client in charge of the statewide jewelers association was a help. :mrgreen:
Swamproot

Post by Swamproot »

$1100 with the platinum upgrade, circa 1999. I wanted it in time for April Fools Day (no joke). Had I been a little slower I could have saved several hundred dollars because "April is Diamond Month!"

My only other advice about diamonds is that Marquee cut diamonds LOOK so much bigger than they really are. :-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

16.67% of gross income bought my wife a very nice tiffany ring. i'm certain that the blue box was half the cost.
happy wife, happy life.

:happy
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Swamproot wrote:
My only other advice about diamonds is that Marquee cut diamonds LOOK so much bigger than they really are. :-)
And traditional round cut diamonds have more "sparkle" because of the way the facets work with one another.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

About $1,000. That was for the engagement ring and the wedding band. They were a matching set. She loved them. Every time we go to the store to have them cleaned and inspected they try to talk her into "upgrading" her ring. And her answer is always the same, "why would I want to upgrade this, my husband picked this out specifically for me." I also kept in mind her job knowing that anything too big would get in the way and she wouldn't be able to wear it. It was what we could afford.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

hicabob wrote:
otbricki wrote:$0. My wife thinks engagement rings are a heteronormative paternalistic anachronism.
You have to admire the business savvy of De Beers for starting the tradition though!
Amen to that sentiment. Even Japanese girls in the 1950s began expecting an engagement ring when it was an unheard of custom before that. The New Yorker did a nice piece on de Beers back in the 1970s or '80s.
linguini

Post by linguini »

smiley wrote:16.67% of gross income bought my wife a very nice tiffany ring. i'm certain that the blue box was half the cost.
happy wife, happy life.

:happy
It reminds me almost exactly of the $6k watch thread. Some people will be happiest with cubic zirconium so they can put the money toward a nice honeymoon, some people will be happiest with pricy brand name jewelry on their fingers. :beer
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Decent solitaire 1ct ring set in platinum, just under $5K
Bought over internet, the same ring in store would cost 1.5-2x as much (diamond quality was the very top grade major departments stores would carry)
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Mario Williams, Buffalo Bills defensive end, spent $785,000 for a 10.04 carat diamond ring for his fiancee. She decided to end the engagement and refuses to return the ring. Ouch!

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/20 ... ring-back/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

OldOne wrote:Mario Williams, Buffalo Bills defensive end, spent $785,000 for a 10.04 carat diamond ring for his fiancee. She decided to end the engagement and refuses to return the ring. Ouch!

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/20 ... ring-back/
A gift given in contemplation of marriage (e.g., an engagement ring) must be returned to the giver if the marriage is called off. I think in most states, it is treated as a no-fault situation, so regardless of whose fault it was, the ring is returned.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
market timer

Post by market timer »

LFKB wrote:Both of us earn a very good salary so if I applied the 1/3 of yearly salary "rule" (which seems to high anyways) I would be buying an astronomically priced ring. What is a reasonable amount for a high income earner?
We bought what I thought was an astronomically priced ring. I gave my wife 1/3 of my pre-tax salary in cash and let her decide how much ring to buy. The rest went to earrings. She looked beautiful wearing them.
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

A lot, but it's a pittance compared to my wife's worth - priceless.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

$1000 I was just beginning medical school so didn't have much money. We got a gold/platinum ring from a German designer that she really liked but got a CZ instead. It looks great and no one knows the difference. The stone ended up falling out of the fitting and getting lost which made us feel really good about our decision. The manufacturer acknowledged that the setting wasn't particularly strong and made us a new ring "at cost" with a tension setting bezel that I designed. The price of the new ring: $300. Goes to show how much markup there is in the jewelry business. We upgraded from a 1/2 ct. CZ to a 1 CZ. :D

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

6% on the engagement ring and 0.07% on the wedding band.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Dulocracy wrote:
Swamproot wrote:My only other advice about diamonds is that Marquee cut diamonds LOOK so much bigger than they really are. :-)
And traditional round cut diamonds have more "sparkle" because of the way the facets work with one another.
Have any of the people who spent a lot on a diamond engagement ring ever tried to find out what kind of room lighting would best bring out that sparkle and install it? I don't know what kind that would be, but very obviously jewelry stores are not using compact fluorescents in their their display case. I imagine that you would want something as non-diffuse as possible. Nothing aimed at the ceiling, nothing with shades, nothing with frosted glass bulbs. Incandescents with clear bulbs? LEDs with the individual LEDs exposed and not diffused? Something resembling a collection of hundreds of bright, small, point sources--maybe, like a chandelier?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

10/5/10 40k at the time, wasn't willing to go into debt to get married.

http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.com/diamond-education/

Haven't meet a diamond yet that looked better, on someones hand.

I got a $10 ring on ebay for the ceremony for myself and it lives in my wife's jewelry box.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

$50 for a flashy cubic zirconia ring. The marriage didn't last, but not because of the ring.

Also, the proposal came before picking out the ring. Since the woman wears it, it should be her style choice. I've never understood buying a ring as a surprise before the proposal. If she says no (and it happens) he's stuck with it. And if she says yes, she may not like his choice.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I spent enough so that we're never upgrading, but I didn't break the bank either. We're both comfortable with the purchase. Luckily, my wife is the kind of person that would love me no matter what ring I gave her. I've got a few buddies who aren't so fortunate.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I got my wife's engagement ring at a reputable higher end auction house where they would refund your money if you had it appraised within a few days and the stone turned out not to be as described. I bought it without her there or knowing that I was buying it so I would not be under pressure to pay too much for the ring. My plan was that she would then pick out a setting and we would have the diamond remounted in it. In to today's dollars it cost maybe $1,500 which was about a fifth or less of what the ring would have cost in a retail store.

The setting was a carved gold setting that it turned out my wife loved so we just got it resized and had a matching wedding band made which cost about the same so the total was about $3,000 in today's dollars.

The problem with it was that even though we could readily afford that and the ring was insured my wife kept taking it off when she was gardening or going out to areas of town, that were not all that bad, where she felt uncomfortable with $3,000 on display on her hand.

We ended up getting her a plain gold wedding band for everyday wear and the diamond ring now only gets worn once every couple of years.

We have been married over 25 years now so that worked for us.

It might just be us but regardless of what we can afford neither of us would feel comfortable wearing jewelry everywhere that was worth more than a couple of hundred dollars even if it was insured.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I wonder how many people actually fall for the two months of salary these days.

I was all in for two weeks.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Do you think she would be willing to consider a synthetic diamond?

Gemesis has been creating them for years. They are 1/2 the price of a naturally mined diamond. Plus, of course, they are completely conflict-free (i.e. not a "blood diamond").
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

About 1 months salary - it came in a little blue box. As someone else said, happy wife, happy life. :happy
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Roughly 2 months take home at the time. It was around $7500 and got a good deal on it. I was originally looking at slightly less but when I looked at the rings and diamonds I splurged for it.

For me/us, it was worth it and she treasures it and often gets compliments for it.

Whatever you pick, imo, pick out the actual ring yourself but in her style so that it's unique to you both.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I don't recall the exact number but it was what I could afford at the time - which wasn't much. We've now been married for almost 25 years so either it was a sufficient amount or the amount really doesn't matter.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

When I got engaged a couple years ago I bought my ring through Blue Nile. After lots of research and shopping around this had the best value and selection.
bmelikia

Post by bmelikia »

$4700
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | A time to EVALUATE your jitters https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

prudent wrote:
stoptothink wrote:Really really, sore point for me. I paid $3500, I was 24 and a graduate student. While I did have money, it was up to that point in my life the single most expensive thing I had ever purchased. I decided to save on the ring and to pay off her undergrad loans then for her dental school instead. Throughout our marriage (divorced after 4yrs), I received consistent comments from her sisters and even a few from the brothers-in-law about how cheap I was because of the ring. They all had rings which were well into the 5-figures, and in a few of the cases more valuable than their entire net worth as a couple.

I found that the statement "engagement rings are jewelry a man wears on his fiance's finger" was very true. Guys care just as much (if not more) about the size of the diamond they put on the finger of their fiance as the girls did.
I find this interesting. No one in either of our families, nor any of our friends, ever commented about my wife not having an engagement ring. I wonder if they were envious that you didn't spend like they did (or spend like they felt they had to for status reasons).
Not to me, either. We also did not buy a ring. I asked my wife if her family had ever commented about the absence of a ring, and she said no. It just isn't our style - well, especially mine. She and I have agreed money on experiences is better spent than money on things. We are planning on spending a month's salary or so on a long cruise for our tenth anniversary, enough to upgrade to a villa with two bedrooms, etc, rather than squishing into 195 sf for 12 days. That works for us.

All that said, at some point you either spend your money or you give it away to charity, your kids, or your government. No point in just hoarding it all.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Interesting that no one has went non-traditional here.

My girlfriend wanted a pink sapphire. We went to a local jewelry store and she picked out the setting. Then they had stones sent in and I went in by myself to pick one.
Really wasn't any cheaper, well I suppose it is cheaper compared next to a diamond, but she wanted something different than all her friends had.

The vintage platinum setting was ~$4000 and the stone was ~$2000. It's less than a months salary (gross).

It's being made as we speak.

Wait... do I still have to go through with it? :)
MKP

Post by MKP »

about $9K. I am only doing this once...
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

This is a favorite topic on this forum. There are lots of threads that would give you further insight, and the "is it a waste" argument is endlessly rehashed.

I paid about $7500K for diamond and platinum setting from Whiteflash. It was about 6 years ago and that was about 1 month's salary at the time. At the time, it was by far the most expensive thing I ever bought.

I have my opinions about the "meaning" of this "tradition" and they don't amount to a hill of beans in the big scheme of things.

The best strategy is to find out what size (carats) she is expecting and buy something slightly larger. But try to stay just under the break points in price, where price per carat goes up: 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 etc. For example, I bought a 1.21 carat whereas a 1.25 carat would have been much more expensive. (Just go to the pricescope.com forum to learn more and get opinions on stones you are considering, if buying online, which you should). Of course, I just gave you opposing pieces of advice, because if she wants 1 carat, a 0.99 carat is going to save you serious money but a 1.1 will make her extra happy that you care so much about pleasing her.

I really got into the engineering aspect of diamond cut and spent the money on getting the highest quality cut. This is something most women don't care about beforehand but will be very pleased that their ring sparkles more than anyone else's. I saved my money on color and clarity: I and SI1. With a good cut, no one can see the slight tint or inclusions. When people look at my wife's ring, I've never seen them hold a piece of white paper behind it, or pull out a jeweler's loupe.

Good luck.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

leod wrote:never gave one initially as I convinced her that it was a waste of money, but i bought one years later for $500 to justify my 5K watch purchase.
Very funny.
linguini

Post by linguini »

awval999 wrote:Interesting that no one has went non-traditional here.
There are a few posters on this thread who went non-traditional! A few posters mentioned moissanite, gemesis (lab-made diamond), black diamond, and cubic zirconium, all non-traditional substitutes for the mined clear diamonds that appear on more traditional engagement rings. :happy Like your fiancee, I think non-traditional alternatives to the standard white or yellow gold ring with a mined clear diamond can make for superb engagement rings because if done right, they can result in distinct pieces of jewelry that are less common than the standard diamond engagement ring. After all, the majority of women get diamond rings when they get engaged!