Lifestrategy funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Banana

Lifestrategy funds

Post by Banana »

I did a search on the forum to try and find a discussion on the merits of these funds, and was only able to find some information on the funds back when they use to have a portion allocated to discretionary picks. Now that they have changed to a more BH 3-fund approach what do you all think of these funds? Do they have merit for a new investor looking for an 80/20 allocation lets say for a ROTH IRA? Thoughts? Pro/Cons? Thanks!

I don't currently use these funds I use a three fund portfolio, but I have found them to be helpful when talking to new investors, and wanted to make sure I gave them all the information.
Twins Fan

Re: Lifestrategy funds

Post by Twins Fan »

For a new investor opening up a Roth or traditional IRA, the lifestrategy funds are a great way to go. They are the 3-fund portfolio, the AA is set (whichever they choose), and all the rebablancing is done for them. Just contribute is all they have to do. The new investor can then continue to learn and break off into their own 3-fund, or whatever the choose, portfolio later on. Or, just keep contributing, let the fund do its thing, and live life. They are a great way to get started.

They are not ideal for a taxable account because of the bond portion of the fund.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Twins Fan wrote:For a new investor opening up a Roth or traditional IRA, the lifestrategy funds are a great way to go. They are the 3-fund portfolio, the AA is set (whichever they choose), and all the rebablancing is done for them. Just contribute is all they have to do. The new investor can then continue to learn and break off into their own 3-fund, or whatever the choose, portfolio later on. Or, just keep contributing, let the fund do its thing, and live life. They are a great way to get started.

They are not ideal for a taxable account because of the bond portion of the fund.

Agreed. But I think they added Intl. Bonds recently, so not 3.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Banana wrote:I did a search on the forum to try and find a discussion on the merits of these funds, and was only able to find some information on the funds back when they use to have a portion allocated to discretionary picks. Now that they have changed to a more BH 3-fund approach what do you all think of these funds? Do they have merit for a new investor looking for an 80/20 allocation lets say for a ROTH IRA? Thoughts? Pro/Cons? Thanks!

I don't currently use these funds I use a three fund portfolio, but I have found them to be helpful when talking to new investors, and wanted to make sure I gave them all the information.
The LS funds hold a static asset allocation whereas the newer Target Retirement funds automatically get more conservative as you age. So if you want a static AA, the LS funds would work for you. If you want the funds to get more conservative as you age without you having to do anything, then the TR funds would be your choice.

For most folks, the TR funds probably would be the better choice, since most folks want their portfolios to get more conservative as they age. However, it's always nice to have choices; different strokes for different folks.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Boglenaut wrote:
Twins Fan wrote:For a new investor opening up a Roth or traditional IRA, the lifestrategy funds are a great way to go. They are the 3-fund portfolio, the AA is set (whichever they choose), and all the rebablancing is done for them. Just contribute is all they have to do. The new investor can then continue to learn and break off into their own 3-fund, or whatever the choose, portfolio later on. Or, just keep contributing, let the fund do its thing, and live life. They are a great way to get started.

Agreed. But I think they added Intl. Bonds recently, so not 3.
Whoops... that's true. Thank you, I keep forgetting that.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Banana wrote:I did a search on the forum to try and find a discussion on the merits of these funds, and was only able to find some information on the funds back when they use to have a portion allocated to discretionary picks. Now that they have changed to a more BH 3-fund approach what do you all think of these funds? Do they have merit for a new investor looking for an 80/20 allocation lets say for a ROTH IRA? Thoughts? Pro/Cons? Thanks!

LS Growth (80/20) would be an excellent choice for your Roth. BTW, My Roth is 100% invested in that fund.
All the Best, | Joe
Topic Author
Banana

Post by Banana »

joe8d wrote:

LS Growth (80/20) would be an excellent choice for your Roth. BTW, My Roth is 100% invested in that fund.
I agree Joe. I wonder what the pros/cons are for the LS growth compared to a 3-fund portfolio. The only I can think of are Admiral shares for the 3-fund, and also a little more freedom to adjust or place in different tax/tax-protected places. Am I missing something?
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Do they have a 401? If they do is it an option
A 401 and company match is first, a lifestrategy fund is not good for taxable, they work best is if they only have ira.Mixing balanced funds is hard to keep AA you want.To give good advice you need all information
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Pick best 401 funds first
Pick tax efficient for taxable
Pick ira funds that you need to fill out your AA
John
maj

Post by maj »

Banana,

I am a great fan of the LS funds.
I use the Growth Fund (80-20) as core holding in taxable account. I am different from some folks who post here in that I believe the benefits I receive justify paying regular tax rate on the income from the 20% in bonds.

The benefits for me are the following:
1. Cheap.
2. Total Market Index Funds only.
3. Fixed allocations which means that the froth of an exuberant allocation (stock or bond, domestic or international) is remedied daily by perpetual rebalancing among fixed allocations which are:
56% Total US Stock Market
24% Total International Stock Market
16% Total US Bond Market
4% Total International Bond Market
4. The rebalancing is achieved, for the most part, by reinvested dividends and new cash flows, which means that only rarely are capital gains realized.
5. I can make my portfolio more conservative by investing in CDs or a bond fund (taxable or tax exempt) as I may desire.

In my Roth I invest 50% in Wellington Fund and 50% in LS Growth Fund. I cannot justify the Wellington except to say I like quality value stocks and corporate bonds in a balanced fund and there are few better than Wellington for a moderate long-term investor

In my IRA, from which I am taking minimum mandatory withdrawals, I keep small allocations in Wellington and Wellesley
and large allocations in the Investment Quality Short Term Bond Fund (managed) and GNMA Fund (managed)--and I take my withdrawals equally from the Short Term Bond Fund and the GNMA Fund, leaving Wellington and Wellesley to growth a bit.

Best wishes and peace
Toons

Post by Toons »

joe8d wrote:

+1 Vasgx LS Growth ,been invested for 14 years in the fund ,no complaints ,nice growth of capital :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

Here in Australia the Lifestrategy options are pretty tax efficient, in that their dividends are 'franked' to a certain degree. Basically it means the dividends have already been taxed at company level, and you can claim this as a tax break depending on you're personal circumstances. I think this may only apply to the Australian shares portion though.

I am planning to use it as my only taxable investment fund.
I like the fact it rebalances itself, requires no further input other than fortnightly drip feeds of ongoing savings, and fits in with he philosophy of low cost investing (even if our ER are much higher thn in the US, it's still attractive relative to other options here in Aus).
5jay

Post by 5jay »

I wish I had discovered indexing sooner but finally I am now sold on indexing. At the age of 79 and after much reading on indexing, my IRA is invested in two Vanguard Funds----Target Retirement Income Fund and Wellesley. I probably don't need Wellesley and will shift to the single fund. Here are the questions I wish to present to wiser investors than me. Does a retiree really need a Five Fund Portfolio such as TRF Income will soon become? I am ok with 30 to 40% in equities and is LifeStrategy a preferable single fund choice? I am prompted to ask these questions since neither Mr. Bogle or Mr. Solin seem to feel the need to own Inflation Protection Funds. It may ok either way but your thoughts will be helpful to me. Thanks.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

5jay wrote:I wish I had discovered indexing sooner but finally I am now sold on indexing. At the age of 79 and after much reading on indexing, my IRA is invested in two Vanguard Funds----Target Retirement Income Fund and Wellesley. I probably don't need Wellesley and will shift to the single fund. Here are the questions I wish to present to wiser investors than me. Does a retiree really need a Five Fund Portfolio such as TRF Income will soon become? I am ok with 30 to 40% in equities and is LifeStrategy a preferable single fund choice? I am prompted to ask these questions since neither Mr. Bogle or Mr. Solin seem to feel the need to own Inflation Protection Funds. It may ok either way but your thoughts will be helpful to me. Thanks.
Inflation protection is especially important for retirees, since they no longer get wage increases which help offset the effects of inflation. So I agree with Vanguard's inclusion in VIPSX in the later-life TR funds and am a big fan of the TR Income Fund for retirees.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Munir

Post by Munir »

It looks like performance has disappeared as one of the parameters to be used when comparing funds of similar holdings. Under the guise of "the past is no guarantee of the future", all performance numbers are being ignored. I think performance should remain as one of the guidelines but not necessarily the only one since asset allocation, diversification, and risk (among other factors) need to be included too.