American Express Blue Credit Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Grandpaboys

American Express Blue Credit Card

Post by Grandpaboys »

Getting ready to sign up for this card. Rewards are 3% Groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything else. This beats my Chase Freedom Card. Does this start on the first dollar spent? Who has this Card and what is your advise on getting it?
Good Day | GP
eclipsis

Re: American Express Blue Credit Card

Post by eclipsis »

Depending on your spending habits, you can also consider the "preferred" version of the card which gives 6% back on groceries, 3% on gas/department, and 1% on everything else. It does have a $75 annual fee, but should be able to find $150 sign up bonus.

I have the preferred and rewards start with first dollar spent. You can get cash back in $25 increments as well as redeem for gift cards and other things. It should also give you 0% interest for the first 12 months.
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

I had AMEX Blue for 10 yrs, then changed to AMEX Blue Preferred. The Preferred card gets me more back after paying for the $75 annual fee. Yes first dollar.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I have the AMEX Blue Cash Preffered card (it does have a $75 yearly fee) which has 6% Groceries, 3% gas, 1% everything else. We use it for ALL grocery trips and gas fill-ups; then pay it off at the end of the month.

If your willing to use the card for each and every grocery/gas purchase, I think it makes sense to go with the preferred card even with the $75 annual fee. Even if you don't consider the extra 1% cash back for gas fillups, the extra 3% cashback on groceries pays for the annual fee if you average $50 a week or more on groceries alone ($50 X .03 X 52 = 78). I have the card for less than a year and we've received close to $500 cashback already.

I'm really surprised more families with kids and big food bills don't utilize this card more.
tj

Post by tj »

It should also give you 0% interest for the first 12 months.
Now this I might be interested in.....
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Can you convert an AMEX green card to a blue one? Or do you have to apply for an entirely new card?
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
SamGamgee

Post by SamGamgee »

Just the other day I signed up to upgrade our Blue Cash cards to the Preferred version after running the numbers. We're waiting for our new cards to arrive in the mail.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

For us, the Preferred Card makes up for the annual fee many, many times over. In fact, I am nervously awaiting the day when Amex decides that this card is too generous.
SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte »

Does the preferred card give you 6% on groceries bought at Costco? I'm not sure we do enough non-Costco grocery shopping to justify the $75 fee. Come to think of it, a good chunk of our non-Costco grocery shopping is done at Walmart which may not qualify either.

Thanks for the info
tj

Post by tj »

SuaSponte wrote:Does the preferred card give you 6% on groceries bought at Costco? I'm not sure we do enough non-Costco grocery shopping to justify the $75 fee. Come to think of it, a good chunk of our non-Costco grocery shopping is done at Walmart which may not qualify either.

Thanks for the info
I would be shocked if it was.
SteelyEyed

Post by SteelyEyed »

tj wrote:
SuaSponte wrote:Does the preferred card give you 6% on groceries bought at Costco? I'm not sure we do enough non-Costco grocery shopping to justify the $75 fee. Come to think of it, a good chunk of our non-Costco grocery shopping is done at Walmart which may not qualify either.

Thanks for the info
I would be shocked if it was.
I don't know about CostCo, but Sam's does not take AmEx. WalMart does. My local, small-name chain grocery also does not take AmEx.
DSchrute

Post by DSchrute »

If I move from Blue Cash to the preferred version, will I be able to keep my account number?
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

DSchrute wrote:If I move from Blue Cash to the preferred version, will I be able to keep my account number?
No idea. Do be aware that you will not be able to upgrade to the Preferred version if you have had the Blue Cash for less than a year - this is due to the CARD Act.

-janet
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

SteelyEyed wrote: I don't know about CostCo, but Sam's does not take AmEx. WalMart does. My local, small-name chain grocery also does not take AmEx.
The other thing to consider is that even if you buy "groceries" at Sam's or Wal-Mart, your issuer might not consider them a grocery store.
You have no way to tell at the time of the purchase. Actually, even when you get your statement, you will usually just get a total of the points/dollars.
But you may not get a breakdown for each transaction. So you may not be getting the points you think you are getting.
This is one reason I don't like those cards that have offer specific to certain categories. Especially the rotating categories. The ones with flat rewards like the 2 Fidelity cards are much simpler and you can easily verify you are getting what was promised.
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

DSchrute wrote:If I move from Blue Cash to the preferred version, will I be able to keep my account number?
Yes, I kept the same number when I converted my card, but the 4 digit security code changed.
eclipsis

Post by eclipsis »

I'm fairly sure Costco is categorized as a superstore and only earns 1% with Amex. However, their statements do a good job showing the reward dollars earned. Under each transaction, it shows the categorization (i.e. grocery, fuel, drug store, etc.) so its easy to see if its being counted as grocery or something else. Also, the statement includes a "Rewards Summary" that shows beginning rewards balance, dollars earned, and dollars redeemed. Below this it breaks down dollars earned into the 4 major categories - grocery, gas, department store, everywhere else.

So if you aren't sure how a store will be categorized, you can try calling them or just make a purchase at the store and wait for the statement to come out to see how it is categorized.
interplanetjanet

madbrain wrote:Actually, even when you get your statement, you will usually just get a total of the points/dollars.
But you may not get a breakdown for each transaction. So you may not be getting the points you think you are getting.
Amex has always given a breakdown of every transaction since I've started carrying mine. It's helpful, I don't think I would want a card that didn't.
This is one reason I don't like those cards that have offer specific to certain categories. Especially the rotating categories. The ones with flat rewards like the 2 Fidelity cards are much simpler and you can easily verify you are getting what was promised.
I don't like most of them as well (can't stand the rotating categories) but 6% on a major spending category for families is a little difficult to pass up. I shop heavily at Costco but even so, I expect my Blue Cash Preferred to net me around $400-500/yr on average from other spending. For that kind of money, I'll deal with the minor hassle of remembering which places count as grocery stores - a surprising find was Cost Plus World Market. 6% off helped when buying a new couch (along with a 10% "new member" first purchase discount).

-janet
stan_the_man

Post by stan_the_man »

eclipsis wrote:I'm fairly sure Costco is categorized as a superstore and only earns 1% with Amex. However, their statements do a good job showing the reward dollars earned. Under each transaction, it shows the categorization (i.e. grocery, fuel, drug store, etc.) so its easy to see if its being counted as grocery or something else. Also, the statement includes a "Rewards Summary" that shows beginning rewards balance, dollars earned, and dollars redeemed. Below this it breaks down dollars earned into the 4 major categories - grocery, gas, department store, everywhere else.

So if you aren't sure how a store will be categorized, you can try calling them or just make a purchase at the store and wait for the statement to come out to see how it is categorized.
Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco, Wal-Mart and Target are all going to be classified as "warehouse" or "discount" stores -- which only get 1% cash back. Though some people, on either Fat Wallet or MyFico, said they received 6% cash back at Wal-Mart Supercenters.
Wading Ashore

I think Chase Freedom is better

Post by Wading Ashore »

Grandpaboys wrote:Getting ready to sign up for this card. Rewards are 3% Groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything else. This beats my Chase Freedom Card.
Chase Freedom has been offering 5% on gas (and Amazon) this quarter, and will offer 5% on groceries next quarter. Not sure Blue beats this.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
Topic Author
Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys »

The 5% on gas from Chase ends in March, then I will use Amex. rest of the year. Don't recall Chase doing anything on groceries. Having only 5% from Chase on selected items each quarter has really lowered my Cash back from them. Expect that to pick up with the use of Amex.
Good Day | GP
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Grandpaboys wrote:The 5% on gas from Chase ends in March, then I will use Amex. rest of the year. Don't recall Chase doing anything on groceries. Having only 5% from Chase on selected items each quarter has really lowered my Cash back from them. Expect that to pick up with the use of Amex.
Spreading yourself between too many cards is not a great idea. Most cards have a minimum before you actually get the cashback. If you charge a little to 4 different cards, you might have to wait a very long time before you actually get it. By that time the rewards program may have changed and be much less favorable. There is also the issue of keeping track of which card to use when. I find that 3 cards is about my limit. 2 is best : 1 Amex, 1 VISA. I use both Fidelity cards at this time.
Wading Ashore

5% Cashback Categories with Chase Freedom

Post by Wading Ashore »

Grandpaboys wrote:The 5% on gas from Chase ends in March, then I will use Amex. rest of the year. Don't recall Chase doing anything on groceries.
The 2012 calendar is on their website. Second quarter is 5% for groceries and movies, third quarter is 5% for gas and restaurants.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
Topic Author
Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys »

I will have only two cards Amex. and Chase. Will use them where Cash Reward is best. That should not be a problem.
Good Day | GP
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

madbrain wrote:
Grandpaboys wrote:The 5% on gas from Chase ends in March, then I will use Amex. rest of the year. Don't recall Chase doing anything on groceries. Having only 5% from Chase on selected items each quarter has really lowered my Cash back from them. Expect that to pick up with the use of Amex.
Spreading yourself between too many cards is not a great idea. Most cards have a minimum before you actually get the cashback. If you charge a little to 4 different cards, you might have to wait a very long time before you actually get it. By that time the rewards program may have changed and be much less favorable.
Neither the new AmEx Blue Cash options (Everyday and Preferred) nor the Chase Freedom have a minimum purchase amount before you start accumulating cash back money or points. The original Blue Cash did, but this was removed for the Everyday and Preferred last year.

Edit: There are other cards that also do not have varying rewards based on amount spent, but most of the thread focused on Chase Freedom vs the new AmEx Blue Cash options
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Mudpuppy wrote: Spreading yourself between too many cards is not a great idea. Most cards have a minimum before you actually get the cashback. If you charge a little to 4 different cards, you might have to wait a very long time before you actually get it. By that time the rewards program may have changed and be much less favorable.
Neither the new AmEx Blue Cash options (Everyday and Preferred) nor the Chase Freedom have a minimum purchase amount before you start accumulating cash back money or points. The original Blue Cash did, but this was removed for the Everyday and Preferred last year.

Edit: There are other cards that also do not have varying rewards based on amount spent, but most of the thread focused on Chase Freedom vs the new AmEx Blue Cash options[/quote]

I wasn't talking about minimum to accumulate rewards, but minimum to receive them. It usually takes a specified minimum of rewards points before you can redeem for cash.
The only card I know that doesn't do this is the Amex Costco card, which sends the rewards coupon annually.
nick22

Post by nick22 »

maybe I will try this. I have the Chase card, but the annoying feature is the shifting rewards per quarter, rewards that you have to "activate" each quarter. So there is clearly the chance for human error, not re-activating the reward system.
Nick22
Wading Ashore

Activating Chase Freedom Card

Post by Wading Ashore »

Don't remember how I set this up, but they send me an email for every new activation. Then it's just clicking the link.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

I recently applied for and received my AMEX Blue Everyday card. I think the question of whether or not to go for the Preferred card depends on how much you spend each month on groceries/gas. Here's an interesting review of the card which outlines this point (about 3/4ths down the page is the chart). The point being that if you (like me) don't spend that much each month on gas/groceries, the regular card is best. But if you (like many people with a family) spend quite a bit each month then you will more than make up for the fee.

Overall I like the card a lot and am quite happy with it as my main card (I have a VISA from my local credit union as my reserve).
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
eclipsis

Post by eclipsis »

bigred77 wrote: If your willing to use the card for each and every grocery/gas purchase, I think it makes sense to go with the preferred card even with the $75 annual fee. Even if you don't consider the extra 1% cash back for gas fillups, the extra 3% cashback on groceries pays for the annual fee if you average $50 a week or more on groceries alone ($50 X .03 X 52 = 78).
I think this right here sums it up. If you are spending $50 or more ($200 a month) at grocery stores, you will come out ahead with the annual fee of $75. Depending on your gas spending, the extra 1% may reduce it even further. Also, you can currently purchase gift cards at say Kroger or Giant Eagle for other stores while doing your grocery shopping and they also earn you the 6% cash back. Technically you shouldn't (cash equivalents are excluded in their terms of service) and maybe its not ethical, but it currently works.
interplanetjanet

eclipsis wrote:
bigred77 wrote: If your willing to use the card for each and every grocery/gas purchase, I think it makes sense to go with the preferred card even with the $75 annual fee. Even if you don't consider the extra 1% cash back for gas fillups, the extra 3% cashback on groceries pays for the annual fee if you average $50 a week or more on groceries alone ($50 X .03 X 52 = 78).
I think this right here sums it up. If you are spending $50 or more ($200 a month) at grocery stores, you will come out ahead with the annual fee of $75. Depending on your gas spending, the extra 1% may reduce it even further. Also, you can currently purchase gift cards at say Kroger or Giant Eagle for other stores while doing your grocery shopping and they also earn you the 6% cash back. Technically you shouldn't (cash equivalents are excluded in their terms of service) and maybe its not ethical, but it currently works.
Also, some stores I didn't expect to be categorized as grocery stores are - the biggest example that jumped out at me was Cost Plus World Market.

-janet
exzacklyright

Post by exzacklyright »

So the cutoff line is $208 dollars a month correct? I if spend below that the "Everyday" is better? I'm single so I only spend about $100 every 2-3 weeks.

Also does this card work at costco?
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

Tom_T wrote:For us, the Preferred Card makes up for the annual fee many, many times over. In fact, I am nervously awaiting the day when Amex decides that this card is too generous.
+1, I've paid $75 and so far have $890 in cash back in 2012-2013. It was even better before they capped 6% groceries at $6k spending and then 1% thereafter.
tfb

Post by tfb »

exzacklyright wrote:Also does this card work at costco?
Yes it works at Costco. Only 1% rewards though.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

You should also compare to PenFed's Platinum Rewards card -- 5% gas, 3% groceries, 1% everything else. No annual fee.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
bayview

Post by bayview »

tfb wrote:
exzacklyright wrote:Also does this card work at costco?
Yes it works at Costco. Only 1% rewards though.
Just like the Amex Costco card, sadly.

I have the BCP card ($75 fee), and I more than make up the fee every year, generally by April.

For the "groceries" category, it includes absolutely everything that you buy at a grocery store --food, but also kitty litter, motor oil, bourbon, lawn chairs, whatever else they have going on. So it's categorized by the type of store, not by the purchase.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
bayview

Post by bayview »

archbish99 wrote:You should also compare to PenFed's Platinum Rewards card -- 5% gas, 3% groceries, 1% everything else. No annual fee.
Unfortunately, that's long since gone. It's now 5% gas, 0.25% everything else. It's been this way for quite a while now.

It's my gas card, but that's all.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
tfb

Post by tfb »

bayview wrote:
archbish99 wrote:You should also compare to PenFed's Platinum Rewards card -- 5% gas, 3% groceries, 1% everything else. No annual fee.
Unfortunately, that's long since gone. It's now 5% gas, 0.25% everything else. It's been this way for quite a while now.

There are two similarly named PenFed card: PRC and PCR. One has Cash in it; the other does not.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

bayview wrote:

Really? It still shows 5/3/1 at PenFed's site.... What am I missing here?

(Clearly, I don't have this card, though we've talked about it -- my wife opposes getting an additional card and additional bill per month for a net benefit of only $70/year over our current cards.)
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Tom_T wrote:For us, the Preferred Card makes up for the annual fee many, many times over. In fact, I am nervously awaiting the day when Amex decides that this card is too generous.
Same here. I think 6% is pretty generous too, and I am dreading that amex will decide its not making them much money by giving away such a hefty cash back. As it is they cap you at 6K per year for groceries.
bayview

Post by bayview »

archbish99 wrote:
bayview wrote:

Really? It still shows 5/3/1 at PenFed's site.... What am I missing here?

(Clearly, I don't have this card, though we've talked about it -- my wife opposes getting an additional card and additional bill per month for a net benefit of only $70/year over our current cards.)
tfb is correct --I had forgotten that there's a points version of the card, and 5/3/1 is that one's rewards structure. Mine is the original cash version, which used to be wonderful.

I do still like getting the 5% cash rebate taken directly off the monthly statement, instead of some of the hassles you go through with others.
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

I buy most of my groceries at Wal-Mart and AMEX doesn't consider that a grocery store, so instead of this card I use the PenFed Visa that gives 5% cashback on gas, 3% groceries, and 1% everything else. This card does categorize my Wal-Mart purchases as groceries.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I have the old AMEX Blue Cash card having turned down the offer to go to Preferred. I guess I'm grandfathered in with the old benefit (at least for now). There's 0 Annual fee, after spending $6500, it's 5% gas, 5% Grocery, 5% drugstores and 1% everything else. We put everything possible on this card and get to the $6500 in a hurry. It's great but probably wont last forever. I did the math and the preferred was close but not as good for us. Mostly be because of the categories changing that earn the highest %.
katsmeow

Post by katsmeow »

I had the grandfather Blue Cash card but after analyzing the numbers switched to the preferred a few months ago. The only negative is somewhere around the end of summer we will max out on the 6% for groceries. Still, it is a great card and I use it any time I can.