Foes List Option? User Control Panel

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Polar_Ice

Foes List Option? User Control Panel

Post by Polar_Ice »

I noticed in the user control panel under the Friends and Foes tab the Foes list is not active. In the FAQ it says users can be added to the Foes list so all post will not be visible by that user. Can this option be turned on or is there another way to hide certain user's post?

Thanks
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Foes List Option? User Control Panel

Post by Alex Frakt »

No it can't be turned on by members and there is no other way to hide another member's posts.

This is a deliberate decision on our part in furtherance of our goal to make this a "a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones." We'd rather deal with a disruptive poster directly than force people to have to go to the trouble of maintaining their own block lists. We encourage members to click the report button on a post if they find it to be offensive or disrespectful.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Alex Frakt wrote:No it can't be turned on by members and there is no other way to hide another member's posts.

This is a deliberate decision on our part in furtherance of our goal to make this a "a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones." We'd rather deal with a disruptive poster directly than force people to have to go to the trouble of maintaining their own block lists. We encourage members to click the report button on a post if they find it to be offensive or disrespectful.
Not like the old usenet:

*PLONK*

Brian
Last edited by Default User BR on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I find this forum to be great with very respectful users but would be nice to block post by certain user that I don't care to never read.

Like this frequent poster:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=112760
Default User BR

Polar_Ice wrote:I find this forum to be great with very respectful users but would be nice to block post by certain user that I don't care to never read.
That's pretty silly. He posts in very few threads, usually ones he starts. It's not too difficult to check who started the thread and skip it.

Brian
Archie Sinclair

Post by Archie Sinclair »

Default User BR wrote:
Polar_Ice wrote:I find this forum to be great with very respectful users but would be nice to block post by certain user that I don't care to never read.
That's pretty silly. He posts in very few threads, usually ones he starts. It's not too difficult to check who started the thread and skip it.

Brian
I agree. And it's not productive to criticize an individual poster in this way. I happen to adore his posts.
Last edited by Archie Sinclair on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Frequent posters have 15,000 or more posts. 800 doesn't cut it. Wait another 10 years to complain.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Default User BR wrote:

Brian
Greetings Brian:

The LazyNihilist has observed a misunderstanding in your post.

The LazyNihilist would like to correct that misunderstanding.

The LazyNihilist notices the use of a double negative by the original poster that is highlighted in bold above.

The LazyNihilist hence concludes that the OP would like reading all the concerned users posts.

Best Wishes,

LazyNihilist

With apologies to you know who. :wink:
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

sscritic wrote:Frequent posters have 15,000 or more posts. 800 doesn't cut it. Wait another 10 years to complain.
sscritic,

I think 15,000 is too high a limit. 500 or more posts should count as Frequent posters. That way I'm included in that 'club' :happy

I see that you crossed the 15,000 post mark and want to be in an exclusive club.

Just kidding. I find your posts very informative.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Yes, thank you Alex.
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

LazyNihilist wrote:
sscritic wrote:Frequent posters have 15,000 or more posts. 800 doesn't cut it. Wait another 10 years to complain.
sscritic,

I think 15,000 is too high a limit. 500 or more posts should count as Frequent posters. That way I'm included in that 'club' :happy

I see that you crossed the 15,000 post mark and want to be in an exclusive club.

Just kidding. I find your posts very informative.
500? Almost there... 15000? Well I guess I could go post about 14,500 '+1's' but I doubt that Alex or LadyGeek would find that amusing. :(

I probably won't live long enough to come up with 15000 posts - I certainly won't live long enough to come up with 15000 good posts. :D No 'club' exclusivity for me.... Oh well at least us ham and eggers are still welcome. :beer
Topic Author
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I am not complaining or criticizing I was just giving an example and made no opinions by just stating the facts. I am just trying to improve this already great forum and thought others might benefit from this option too.
WHL

Post by WHL »

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=112760
He is the reason why I was searching these forums for reasons why we don't have access to an ignore list.

Every time I click on one of those threads without looking who started it, I immediately close the browser. Done, enough bogleheads for the day.
Default User BR

WHL wrote:Every time I click on one of those threads without looking who started it, I immediately close the browser. Done, enough bogleheads for the day.
Holy overreaction, Batman.

Brian