My thoughts on REITs

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Day9

My thoughts on REITs

Post by Day9 »

Hi Bogleheads,

I started lurking over a year ago (I'm still new) but this is the first youtube video I have made:

Why own REITs?

I won't post any more videos here I just wanted to say that 3-fund portfolio is so elegant and I have converted a few of my fellow young coworkers.

REITs are one of many equity-like assets that sharply correlate in times like 2008 when there are crashes. There is no need to tilt your equity allocation toward REITs.
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from
Default User BR

Re: My thoughts on REITs

Post by Default User BR »

Day9 wrote:REITs are one of many equity-like assets that sharply correlate in times like 2008 when there are crashes. There is no need to tilt your equity allocation toward REITs.
Thanks for your opinion, but I'll keep my allocation just the same.

Brian
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Day9 wrote:REITs are one of many equity-like assets that sharply correlate in times like 2008 when there are crashes. There is no need to tilt your equity allocation toward REITs.
Not every investment needs to be a hedge against bad times. You want some investments to ride through the good times! If you aren't going to participate in the good times, there might as well not be any.

The advice to never buy a convertible because some day it will surely rain is not the best advice.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Am I the only one who saw a video of a shot of extra fancy mixed nuts?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I thought REIT's were okay as a diversifier in the 2000-2002 bear. The way I look at diversifiers is this, they correlate differently to my "core" holdings in the long-run, but there are no guarantees than in certain scenarios they correlate similarly in the short run.

Currently, I like int'l REIT's over domestic REIT's due to valuations.

I'm not adverse to people who hold 3-fund portfolio's, but I think adding diversifiers is beneficial in the long-run.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
FinancialDave

Post by FinancialDave »

Here is the problem with getting investment advice from a U-tube video. The guy makes a very general comment that REIT's don't offer qualified dividends, and thus offer no tax efficiency. While this is true that no qualified dividends are typically paid, that does not mean that some of the income paid does not qualify as a long term capital gain or also return on capital, which is not taxed at all in the year received but only taxed in the year the investment is sold. I have at least one REIT that is spitting off at least 30% of it's income as return of capital, that won't be taxed at all until I sell and then it will be taxed at the LT rate and if I keep my income down (in 15% bracket) in retirement during that year of sale, there is a good chance the LT gain won't be taxed at all.

fd
I love simulated data. It turns the impossible into the possible!
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

pennstater2005 wrote: extra fancy mixed nuts
Bogleheads in a nutshell[1]!

1. Sorry.

Brian
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

REITs have been my best diversifying, non-correlating asset, ever since I started investing in them near the market top just before the great recession. And on top of that, they have been my best performing asset, period. Two birds with one stone no less! The data on REITs diversification benefit and classification as a separate asset class has certainly held up well over the last several years. -- Tet
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

claiming any asset/ subasset has no need is just as narrow minded as one saying any asset has to be inlcluded. Investing, like life, has many "it depends".

REITS just like the 3 funds has its merits and demerits. There are not perfect portfolios (except those in retrospect). Goal of every investor is to look at all the available asset classes and decide which ones to include after weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each asset.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Day9 wrote:
REITs are one of many equity-like assets that sharply correlate in times like 2008 when there are crashes. There is no need to tilt your equity allocation toward REITs.
Small caps, Value stocks, international stocks, emerging markets, etc. all were strongly correlated during the crash. Does that mean that you shouldn't buy any of those assets? I suppose, using your specific rationale, that means you shouldn't tilt to any of those areas. That's a reasonable suggestion (and the three-fund portfolio is fine), but there are also reasonable arguments to hold/tilt to various subclasses of assets.

As you suggest, it's not prudent to believe that diversifying among equity-like assets will provide a safe haven during a crash...but that's what bonds are for. That doesn't mean that diversifying your risky assets is undesirable.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Own the businesses.
Own the buildings.
Loan out money to others.

In other words: stocks, bonds, real estate, and cash.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

It was a good day for REITs today. :beer

I only started investing in February. I have 4x the amount invested in VTI and VXUS (combined) than I do in REITS, but yet the gains in my REITs account surpasses those of my other investments.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

I've had a REIT fund in (& maintained at 7% of) my portfolio for nearly 20 years. While I have been happy with it, I have also noticed a significant increase in interest in the REIT sector lately. I am curious about the number of people considering REIT's now that might be tempted by the recent high returns.
Regression to mean?
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

noyopacific wrote:I've had a REIT fund in (& maintained at 7% of) my portfolio for nearly 20 years. While I have been happy with it, I have also noticed a significant increase in interest in the REIT sector lately. I am curious about the number of people considering REIT's now that might be tempted by the recent high returns.
Regression to mean?
That is the thing. I have been a REIT investor for many years. First, individual REITs unfortunately and then the index fund! I have no regrets.
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

i have a rental property and a little bit of a roth in a reit index. it's a long-haul thing ....
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Just stay out of the international REIT / Real Estate market until costs come down!
iceport

Post by iceport »

abuss368 wrote:Just stay out of the international REIT / Real Estate market until costs come down!
What, and miss out on the huge valuation advantage over its US counterpart that Larry Swedroe marvels at?

See his recent comments here: Re: International REITs anyone?

Besides, with an ER for VNQI already down to 0.32% what's not to like?

(You had to have known that was coming, abuss368) :wink:

--Pete
Last edited by iceport on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
billjohnson

Post by billjohnson »

abuss368 wrote:Just stay out of the international REIT market until costs come down!
Just stay out of the domestic REIT market until prices come down!
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

billjohnson wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Just stay out of the international REIT market until costs come down!
Or just buy both according to your AA and rebalance as necessary!
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
billjohnson wrote:
Or just buy both according to your AA and rebalance as necessary!
Now hopefully that expense ratio keeps declining! .45 now!

The purchase fee is paid to shareholders and not the fund correct?
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

abuss368 wrote:Now hopefully that expense ratio keeps declining! .45 now!

The purchase fee is paid to shareholders and not the fund correct?
Not sure, I think it does. I had a brokerage IRA opened up so I just bought VNQI, .32% ER with the NAV premium which was just about as much as the fees.