Wells Fargo Down Again

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Jay69

Wells Fargo Down Again

Post by Jay69 »

Ok, this is starting to get a bit old, site loads half way and hangs, does not load at all. I assume its another DOS attack but who knows. Maybe they have to shut down half the servers to save energy to make the .02% interest payments.

Last time it took 3 days to gain access again from the midwest. This is starting to turn into a quarterly deal.

Thank god I'm not a market timer!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
G12

Re: Wells Fargo Down Again

Post by G12 »

Yeah, it is old. I do online bill pay through a WF account and have a brokerage account, it is starting to chap me. It took almost a week to get back to normal last time.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

When the site is down, does WF honor the free trade deal when you have to call to make a trade? I would think that is the case.

Their customer service response time on the phone side must ramp up a bit.
It took almost a week to get back to normal last time.
Last time it took 3 days to gain access again from the midwest.
That's going from level 2 to level 0.....

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Random Musings wrote:When the site is down, does WF honor the free trade deal when you have to call to make a trade? I would think that is the case.

RM
You can call and make a trade, its still free I belive. The question is will you get thru!
genjix

Post by genjix »

Jay69 wrote:Ok, this is starting to get a bit old, site loads half way and hangs, does not load at all. I assume its another DOS attack but who knows. Maybe they have to shut down half the servers to save energy to make the .02% interest payments.

Last time it took 3 days to gain access again from the midwest. This is starting to turn into a quarterly deal.

Thank god I'm not a market timer!

Looks like cyber attack, Denial of service
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wells-far ... 37592.html
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

genjix wrote:
Looks like cyber attack, Denial of service
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wells-far ... 37592.html
The vast majority of customers are not impacted and customer information remains safe," said Bridget Braxton, a spokeswoman for the fourth-largest U.S. bank by assets. Customers who have trouble should try logging in again because the disruption is usually intermittent, she said.
No worries, your infomation is safe and the distuption is usually intermittent! Just makes you feel and warm and fuzzy that all your cash is safe :wink:

I guess I don't think the definition of "usually intermittent" is equal to 4 days like last time this happend :annoyed
genjix

Post by genjix »

Jay69 wrote:
genjix wrote:

No worries, your infomation is safe and the distuption is usually intermittent! Just makes you feel and warm and fuzzy that all your cash is safe :wink:

I guess I don't think the definition of "usually intermittent" is equal to 4 days like last time this happend :annoyed
lol yup, the commenter on that page is also complaining they've been trying all day.
G12

Post by G12 »

genjix wrote:lol yup, the commenter on that page is also complaining they've been trying all day.
That's nothing. I have been trying to get 2-$30 fees I was charged credited back to my account for 86 days now, which includes two trips to a branch wherein the branch manager and another worker both said I was correct and would handle it. That's a lot more $ than what is earned on $60k in cash in a year with WFC. I am quite chapped with this bank at the moment.
kanvused

Post by kanvused »

I use Wells Fargo regularly on the west coast, but I actually have more issue with Chase. Their site is often down in the evening for maintenance and it was down most of March 13 because of a reported cyber attack. I guess attacks will happen, but the maintenance seems excessive.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This article about the current DDoS attacks from Cyberbunker on Spamhaus et al. might interest folks of this thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/techn ... ttack.html

I guess if one lives in a backwater like Texas one will not have as many problems because the internet backbone is different there and Cyberbunker may not have discovered that yet.

Does that mean in the future we all will need to be diversified in the locations of our banking establishments?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

livesoft wrote:This article about the current DDoS attacks from Cyberbunker on Spamhaus et al. might interest folks of this thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/techn ... ttack.html

I guess if one lives in a backwater like Texas one will not have as many problems because the internet backbone is different there and Cyberbunker may not have discovered that yet.

Does that mean in the future we all will need to be diversified in the locations of our banking establishments?
Here in Texas, I have not encountered any interruptions whatsoever.

Cosmo
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

livesoft wrote:This article about the current DDoS attacks from Cyberbunker on Spamhaus et al. might interest folks of this thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/techn ... ttack.html

One reason to keep it or a portion of your $ at a B&M shop I guess!

From the link:
An engineer at one of the largest Internet communications firms said the attacks in recent days have been as many as five times larger than what was seen recently in attacks against major American banks.
So if an attack on Wells or another bank was 5 times worse I wonder how long it would be down then! I was down 3-4 days last time it happen, I know the math is not this easy but 3 days * 5 times worse = 15days.

I have been thru a # of DOS attacks this past year, when one happens I just shug my sholders and move on and make my post to group here. The question is how many days without access is going to get you to do something. After week #1 and the bank saying everything is just fine and you still have no access I may have an issue.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Jay69 wrote:So if an attack on Wells or another bank was 5 times worse I wonder how long it would be down then! I was down 3-4 days last time it happen, I know the math is not this easy but 3 days * 5 times worse = 15days.
That's assuming that the targets and the government have learned nothing regarding counter-measures and recovery from previous attacks.

For what it's worth, I was able to log onto WF without problem a few minutes ago. If location is important, I'm in St. Louis.

Brian
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Jay69 wrote:After week #1 and the bank saying everything is just fine and you still have no access I may have an issue.
Diversify how you can get your money. Get a checkbook and keep track of your balance.

Then you can work around a DOS on the internet using the USPS, just as after 9/11 the internet was sometimes a work around for the DOS on the USPS.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

The Wells Fargo site is down again today!! Its starting to turn into a weekly deal now. Rather than start another thread I just added to this one :annoyed

I must have some really bad timming, it seems whenever I want to take a look its down.

Maybe its part of some new security, nobody can get in so nobody can get at my millions :wink:
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Thankfully, I can get on from Florida. I could last week too.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

It even made the local news last night. The news being the news noted that no word as if anything has been breached, or something like that. Again more warm and fuzzy feelings :wink:
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Jay69 wrote:It even made the local news last night. The news being the news noted that no word as if anything has been breached, or something like that. Again more warm and fuzzy feelings :wink:
Have you considered banking with a smaller target?
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

No issues down in Texas.

Cosmo
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Sidney wrote:
Jay69 wrote:It even made the local news last night. The news being the news noted that no word as if anything has been breached, or something like that. Again more warm and fuzzy feelings :wink:

I have but it one of those deals where I have been at Wells for 20 years and I know the bankers. I love web page, when it works that is!
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Jay69 wrote:
Sidney wrote:

I have but it one of those deals where I have been at Wells for 20 years and I know the bankers. I love web page, when it works that is!
Annoying yes, but in those times have you tried going to their full site via your phone so you use a different service provider? I'd imagine they are choking specific access links to their site and would hope your wireless carrier's backbone isn't getting choked off.