Nexus 4

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Toons

Nexus 4

Post by Toons »

Considering a Nexus 4 purchase to be used with StraightTalk sim card.
Any Nexus 4 owners ?
If so appreciate any thoughts you might have on phone,Att coverage etc :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
rooms222

Re: Nexus 4

Post by rooms222 »

Note that Straight Talk is not selling Bring Your Own Device AT&T network Sim Cards at this time. They are selling a T-mobile standard sim only for BYOD. The Nexus 4 uses a micro-sim, so you will have to buy a SIM cutter to cut the sim down to size, if you get the T-mobile one.
There are several option available to get the Straight Talk on the AT&T network SIM card. One option is to use Net 10, the sister company to Straight Talk. It is selling an AT&T micro sim and is $50 a month, but I believe it has a $5 per month discount if you use auto-pay. Also, it has a 1.5 GB per month cap on data use if you use the AT&T network. This should be sufficient for most users.

Another option is to buy a Straight Talk Nokia E71 and trim down the SIM card that comes with it and put it in your Nexus 4. The phone costs $49.99 on Straight Talk's website, but it must be purchased with a month's service card ($45). Because they are hiding the phone if you do not live in an AT&T only zip code, put in zip code 18413 when it asks where you will use the phone. Also, you must keep possession of the E71 phone, because the SIM Card uses the serial number of the phone. If you sell that phone, the new owner can deactivate your original SIM Card, so put it in a drawer.

There is a lot more information about this in the Straight Talk forum of howardforums.com, a cell phone website.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I just looked into the Nexus 4, and was disappointed by the limited storage capacity and the fact that you cannot expand it. That would not be a problem for many, but if you store a lot of music, for example, it might be a deal-breaker.
Topic Author
Toons

Post by Toons »

rooms222 wrote:Note that Straight Talk is not selling Bring Your Own Device AT&T network Sim Cards at this time. They are selling a T-mobile standard sim only for BYOD. The Nexus 4 uses a micro-sim, so you will have to buy a SIM cutter to cut the sim down to size, if you get the T-mobile one.
There are several option available to get the Straight Talk on the AT&T network SIM card. One option is to use Net 10, the sister company to Straight Talk. It is selling an AT&T micro sim and is $50 a month, but I believe it has a $5 per month discount if you use auto-pay. Also, it has a 1.5 GB per month cap on data use if you use the AT&T network. This should be sufficient for most users.

Another option is to buy a Straight Talk Nokia E71 and trim down the SIM card that comes with it and put it in your Nexus 4. The phone costs $49.99 on Straight Talk's website, but it must be purchased with a month's service card ($45). Because they are hiding the phone if you do not live in an AT&T only zip code, put in zip code 18413 when it asks where you will use the phone. Also, you must keep possession of the E71 phone, because the SIM Card uses the serial number of the phone. If you sell that phone, the new owner can deactivate your original SIM Card, so put it in a drawer.

There is a lot more information about this in the Straight Talk forum of howardforums.com, a cell phone website.
Thanks for the info,,found this on youtube FYI :happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeP0ZLaFdM
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
alanwbaker

Post by alanwbaker »

Are you a heavy or light user of the cellular network? If you are a minimalist, consider Airvoice Wireless with that Nexus 4--they have a $10-a-month rate. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... _operators for a list of such MVNO's that use the physical networks of the big 4 carriers at much lower rates. The Nexus 4 uses GSM, so you'll need a provider that uses AT&T's or T-Mobile's network.
Topic Author
Toons

Post by Toons »

alanwbaker wrote:Are you a heavy or light user of the cellular network? If you are a minimalist, consider Airvoice Wireless with that Nexus 4--they have a $10-a-month rate. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... _operators for a list of such MVNO's that use the physical networks of the big 4 carriers at much lower rates. The Nexus 4 uses GSM, so you'll need a provider that uses AT&T's or T-Mobile's network.

Thanks for link,fairly heavy user ,checked out their plans. :happy
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

protagonist wrote:I just looked into the Nexus 4, and was disappointed by the limited storage capacity and the fact that you cannot expand it. That would not be a problem for many, but if you store a lot of music, for example, it might be a deal-breaker.
Google seems to be forcing everyone to the cloud with this. I used to demand expandable storage in all my phones (mainly for a large music collection), but with google drive or dropbox for files and google play music (upload from pc and stream anywhere with phone) I've really not missed a beat. Having wifi at home or work helps to not crush your data connection.

From a smartphone budget standpoint, a nexus device and prepaid cant be beat.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

GeauxBR wrote:
protagonist wrote:I just looked into the Nexus 4, and was disappointed by the limited storage capacity and the fact that you cannot expand it. That would not be a problem for many, but if you store a lot of music, for example, it might be a deal-breaker.
Google seems to be forcing everyone to the cloud with this. I used to demand expandable storage in all my phones (mainly for a large music collection), but with google drive or dropbox for files and google play music (upload from pc and stream anywhere with phone) I've really not missed a beat. Having wifi at home or work helps to not crush your data connection.

From a smartphone budget standpoint, a nexus device and prepaid cant be beat.
Thanks. I have yet to explore the cloud, so this may be an option. I do know that StraightTalk has a rep for throttling you down if you are a heavy 3G user....plus where I am in S America there is no 3G and wifi is spotty. So I don't know if it would work for me....I do have a separate 32g iTouch 3d gen. with music that would work in a pinch.....
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

rooms222 wrote:Note that Straight Talk is not selling Bring Your Own Device AT&T network Sim Cards at this time. They are selling a T-mobile standard sim only for BYOD. The Nexus 4 uses a micro-sim, so you will have to buy a SIM cutter to cut the sim down to size, if you get the T-mobile one.
This is bad news for me, since T-mobile has notoriously bad service in my area. I was using an AT+T iPhone on StraightTalk with a sim card that I bought from Straight Talk, but I gave up my phone number as I am overseas for the winter. Do you know , when I return, assuming I will have to get a new phone number, if I sign up again with Straight Talk will I be able to still use my Sim Card and stay on the AT+T network?

Thanks.
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

I have had the Nexus 4 for about 2 months. Like quite a bit it so far. I use it on a t-mobile MVNO, ptel. Ptel is straight forward with excellent CS, who are in the US. The plan I have is $40/mo for unlimited talk, text, and data. The data is 4G for the 1st 250 MB then 2G. I never get close to 250MB, since use I wifi mostly for data. The Nexus 4 is very fast, has the latest Jelly Bean version and updates regularly. It does not do LTE. The battery is not removable and can't add memory (like iPhones). Those 3 items have not been an issue personally. There no unwanted carrier or manufacturer limits and set programs as with many other cell phones. It is unlocked making it usable on any GSM carrier. For the price it is a very good deal, IMHO. Got mine directly from Google Play with the bumper.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

Just to add about the SIM cards... T-mobile and most carriers have micro SIM cards available. If not, it is easy to purchase a micro SIM cutter on Amazon for about $6.00. Amazon has many of the SIM cards, both mini (the regular size) and micro, available for less than $1.00.

Another popular T-Mobile MNVO (re-seller, like Straight Talk) choice is Simple Mobile.

Also there are many other MNVOs for both T-mobile and AT&T. Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... _operators.

Paul
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

There has been some talk that Straight Talk is not even replacing the E71 sims at this moment. This is not verified, and could be problematic, as those phones without the sim card might be a brick. The Net 10 option might be best for you. It has the micro SIM and the same ATT coverage you used before.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

This is where you are going to find the best Straight Talk info: howardforums.com: US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion: Straight Talk
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I have a nexus 4, it is a great phone, if the shortcomings (no 4g, no card storage). I like that it is unlocked, it can be rooted to access a usb for music while stationary.

I use the Walmart Family mobile plan, $40 unlimited everything with data limited to 1 gb at 3g, the rest at 2 gb, no porblem for me. Second family member is $35, with the 1 gb 3g shared by all.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Family-Mobile/1076544
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Why they would release such an otherwise supposedly great phone with no more than a 16g storage option (supposedly 11g practical storage), that is non-expandable, is beyond me. Including a micro-SD expansion slot to compete with the Samsung, even as a paid option, would cost them very little and make the phone much more competitive.
Beezthree

Post by Beezthree »

protagonist wrote:Why they would release such an otherwise supposedly great phone with no more than a 16g storage option (supposedly 11g practical storage), that is non-expandable, is beyond me. Including a micro-SD expansion slot to compete with the Samsung, even as a paid option, would cost them very little and make the phone much more competitive.
because the cloud is the future and because the vast majority of people don't use anywhere near 16g.
slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 »

I got the Nexus 4 8 gb version on it's release date last year for my wife.
She loves using it. 8 gb is plenty as all our music and pictures are stored on the cloud.
All the apps for the iPhone are also available for android platform and the gps directions from google maps provide voice prompts.
With straightalk and Nexus 4, we pay a fraction of what all the iNuts pay.
MidwestEng

Post by MidwestEng »

A number of people I know are using the Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's $30 plan. It provides 100 minutes a month, unlimited texting, and unlimited data (first 5GB each month at high speeds). It is only available for new activations and they even kind of hide the plan on the bottom left of their prepaid page: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans.

The data speeds are great in the area, and everyone seems pretty happy with it. If you use more than 100 minutes, the plan charges $0.10 per additional minute. So if you used 300 minutes in a month, you'd pay the base $30 (plus tax) for the month plus $20 for the extra minutes. (Most of the people I know who use it barely use any minutes though and rely primarily on texting and data.)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

slick_dealer_05 wrote: With straightalk and Nexus 4, we pay a fraction of what all the iNuts pay.
Does straighttalk have an iPhone surcharge? How much extra do they charge each month? The website says unlimited $45 for iPhones. Do you pay only $25?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Beezthree wrote:
protagonist wrote:Why they would release such an otherwise supposedly great phone with no more than a 16g storage option (supposedly 11g practical storage), that is non-expandable, is beyond me. Including a micro-SD expansion slot to compete with the Samsung, even as a paid option, would cost them very little and make the phone much more competitive.
because the cloud is the future and because the vast majority of people don't use anywhere near 16g.
But if you are constantly playing music with your device...I use it in my car where I don't have wifi....you will eat up a lot of data very quickly if your music is in the cloud, no? That can be expensive for many people I would think.

Plus, if you are outside 3g or wifi range, no music, right?

And where I spend my winters in Venezuela. even wifi is spotty.
SVT

Post by SVT »

I've had one for a couple months now. My first smart phone. I use the $30/month T-Mobile plan previously mentioned. No problems with the phone or the service. They're both great.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

protagonist wrote:
Beezthree wrote:
But if you are constantly playing music with your device...I use it in my car where I don't have wifi....you will eat up a lot of data very quickly if your music is in the cloud, no? That can be expensive for many people I would think.

Plus, if you are outside 3g or wifi range, no music, right?

And where I spend my winters in Venezuela. even wifi is spotty.
That said, I have a 3d gen 32 gig iTouch and I am considering getting the Nexus 4 as my next phone and using the iTouch as a backup device (portable entertainment center as well as running iTunes apps that are unavailable on Android).

Two questions:

1. Approximately how much data is used per hour when streaming music from the cloud?
2. I have a fair number of sophisticated apps on my iTouch. Are most apps available on iTunes also available via Android?
3. Would I be better served buying an iPhone 4 (or 4s) on eBay for about the same price? Why/why not?
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

Look for apps on the market that measure data usage. Some phones have this feature in the os, but if not there should be an app for it. This way you can know before you switch and get stuck.

Streaming Pandora/Google music doesn't use too much data iirc. Just depends how many hours per month you stream.

Google should be making a nexus 5 announcement sometime soon so i might would hold off on the n4 for a bit unless you need one asap.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

GeauxBR wrote:
Google should be making a nexus 5 announcement sometime soon so i might would hold off on the n4 for a bit unless you need one asap.
Thanks , Geaux.

I found this "rumor" re: Nexus 5. I have no idea what such rumors are worth, so if the answer is nothing, please don't shoot the messenger. Rumor claims a proposed October release date and storage up to 64 Gb: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile- ... s-5-leaks/
mako171

Post by mako171 »

I have had a Nexus 4 on Straightalk for exactly one month. Here's my thoughts:

1. I like the phone and have had no issues at all with connectivity/coverage. I live in Houston.
2. The phone is very slippery. Definitely get a case. I dropped mine on the ground on day two and chipped the corner. Now i have as bulletproof of a case that I could find.
3. As others have said, it takes a "mini sim." I had to buy the "regular sim", and then took that too a ATT store on a quiet day and the guy did me a favor and cut it for me at no cost.
4. It was a MAJOR PITA getting the phone set up and porting my old number over from Tmobile. If you call the main StraightTalk phone number, you will wait on hold minimum of an hour (I did twice before hanging up). I have heard you can do the port/set up online, but I couldn't figure it out. I ended up googling for a better Straighttalk customer service number, and was able to find a different number easily. With the "back end" customer service number (I think it was a Tracfone customer service number, which owns Straighttalk?) hold time was only 10 minutes.
5. After taxes my unlimited everything plan is something like $50.15/month. I have heard about the throttling over 2mb, but I only use around 1mb a month.
6. Apparently you can't call Canada on the 45/mo plan. My brother lives in Edmonton and has a Canadian cell phone/number; he I have texted regularly with no issues so far. He has also called me and there were no issues. I haven't called him yet.

Overall, I would recommend it.
c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin »

I was lucky enough to receive a Nexus 4 from the first batch shipped. I have been very pleased with it on the T-Mobile network in South Florida. Data streaming is very fast - the operating system is fast. The battery life is very good, if you do not have zillion apps running in the background. Nexus 4 owners always get the latest version of the Android operating system first. I purchased the Nexus 7 tablet when it first debuted. Any entries to my address book on either device is automatically synced to the other - ditto for calendar entries. When I google a location with my laptop using the Chrome browser, Google will automatically push the map and directions to the both the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7. You are encouraged to store your larger documents on Google Drive, thus no need for a storage card. The built in Assistant which is the Android voice assistance app is very useable, but not as slick as Apple's Siri. Both the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 are very well integrated with all things Google. Obviously, Android apps are plentiful. I have never regretted either purchase. I am not a Google fan boy, but both devices are top notch. You may be able to find a Nexus 4 to demo in a T-Mobile store. I use Rhapsody's offline music service which does not require a streaming data connection to play music.

Good Luck,
c.Alvin
Last edited by c.Alvin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

mako171 wrote: 6. Apparently you can't call Canada on the 45/mo plan. My brother lives in Edmonton and has a Canadian cell phone/number; he I have texted regularly with no issues so far. He has also called me and there were no issues. I haven't called him yet.

Overall, I would recommend it.
Buy a calling card with a US access number (I think I get mine from firstphonecard.com, but if that link doesn't work, they are ubiquitous and easy to find). This will allow you to make calls to Canada for as little as a penny a minute or less. The card I use is called "Lovers Phone Card". Sweet, huh? There are loads of others as well, all pretty similar. I think I get about 25 hours of calls to Canada on mine for about $20. When you call your Canadian friend, use the US access number. An hour call will cost you about half a buck, and your call will be seen as domestic.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

mako171 wrote:6. Apparently you can't call Canada on the 45/mo plan. My brother lives in Edmonton and has a Canadian cell phone/number; he I have texted regularly with no issues so far. He has also called me and there were no issues. I haven't called him yet.
If your phone plan includes data then consider a VoIP app like GrooVe IP - Android Apps on Google Play. This allows you to make free calls to Canada and US using Google Voice. The full app costs $5. There's also a free "lite" version that works only over WiFi.

A similar app is Fongo - Free Calls+Free Texts - Android Apps on Google Play. This is a Canadian app that lets you make free calls to Canada from anywhere in the world. It also uses VoIP. The challenge will be to download the app because Google Play restricts downloads to Canadian IP addresses. I can post a link to my copy of the APK if anyone is interested.

Then there's Skype and many other apps that let you make VoIP calls for a few cents a minute.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
mako171 wrote:6. Apparently you can't call Canada on the 45/mo plan. My brother lives in Edmonton and has a Canadian cell phone/number; he I have texted regularly with no issues so far. He has also called me and there were no issues. I haven't called him yet.
If your phone plan includes data then consider a VoIP app like GrooVe IP - Android Apps on Google Play. This allows you to make free calls to Canada and US using Google Voice. The full app costs $5. There's also a free "lite" version that works only over WiFi.

A similar app is Fongo - Free Calls+Free Texts - Android Apps on Google Play. This is a Canadian app that lets you make free calls to Canada from anywhere in the world. It also uses VoIP. The challenge will be to download the app because Google Play restricts downloads to Canadian IP addresses. I can post a link to my copy of the APK if anyone is interested.

Then there's Skype and many other apps that let you make VoIP calls for a few cents a minute.
Maybe this is a silly question, but:
-Given that 3G is available almost everywhere...as ubiquitous as cell coverage, and
-Given that VOIP apps exist that allow you to make and receive calls and text msgs. over the web, and, from what I have been told, with clarity similar to regular cell calls, and
- Given that some of those apps will provide you with a phone number,

Is it possible to get an "unlimited data only" plan (or a plan allowing for enough data flow for most primary cell users), instead of a "talk, text and data" plan, and just use the VOIP app on your phone for all of your calls, WITHOUT buying cell phone service? Would it save money? And if so, would quality or coverage suffer?
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

protagonist wrote:Maybe this is a silly question, but:
-Given that 3G is available almost everywhere...as ubiquitous as cell coverage, and
-Given that VOIP apps exist that allow you to make and receive calls and text msgs. over the web, and, from what I have been told, with clarity similar to regular cell calls, and
- Given that some of those apps will provide you with a phone number,

Is it possible to get an "unlimited data only" plan (or a plan allowing for enough data flow for most primary cell users), instead of a "talk, text and data" plan, and just use the VOIP app on your phone for all of your calls, WITHOUT buying cell phone service? Would it save money? And if so, would quality or coverage suffer?
I'm on T-Mobile's $30 5gb/100 minutes plan and try to use VOIP whenever possible (Google Voice + Groove IP).

I find that it's only suitable on wifi, with 3g it's pretty spotty. Also, leaving on VOIP apps all the time also tends to drain the battery faster. As a result when I'm on a good wifi network I'll make calls over VOIP, and similarly if I receive a call I think will take a while I turn on VOIP and call the person back.

If you use a lot of minutes it might be too much of a hassle but I don't talk a lot and it's worth it for me for $30/month.
enderland

Post by enderland »

I'm on the t-mobile 1500min/30mb for $30/month plan.

I almost always am around wifi and if I really need data I can get it for $3 a day (which is still a ton cheaper than a data/minutes plan considering I'll nearly never need data).

Figure I can then use my phone via minutes to talk to family/friends while driving, which is why I want 1500 minutes.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

jpsfranks wrote:I find that it's only suitable on wifi, with 3g it's pretty spotty. Also, leaving on VOIP apps all the time also tends to drain the battery faster. As a result when I'm on a good wifi network I'll make calls over VOIP, and similarly if I receive a call I think will take a while I turn on VOIP and call the person back.
My experience is that while voice quality on VoIP isn't as good as on 3G it's generally good enough, especially considering the price ;)

As for battery life, Google Voice can notify you of missed calls using e-mail as well as send you audio files of any voicemail a caller may have left. This lets me keep VoIP turned off until I get a call or need to initiate one. I use my smartphone (a Google Galaxy Nexus, the model before the Nexus 4) primarily for activities other than phone calls so this isn't much of an inconvenience for me.