Why Can't I Bring Myself to Buy Me a Nice Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I've always wanted a Rolex. Wanted it when I was 20 and now I'm 60. I have a 7-figure investment and no debts. I don't think I'm cheap since we live comfortably and travel extensively .... South America couple of years ago, Europe last year, and Australia this year. Every time I go to the mall with my wife, I stop at the jewelry store window and look at that watch but I can't pull the trigger and write an $8,000 check. Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me.

I was reading the posts about midlife crisis. Is that what it would take to push me over the edge and buy that watch or am I too late for midlife crisis (which is perfectly fine with me lol)?
Gill

Re: Why Can't I Bring Myself to Buy Me a Nice Watch?

Post by Gill »

Probably because you're intelligent enough and careful enough with your money that you realize it is something you really don't need. I spent $175 on a watch while on a cruise two years ago and now realize I didn't really even need that. Being retired I rarely have need for any kind of watch.
Bruce
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Because you realize a black plastic Casio watch serves the purpose just fine?
For those times when you don't have your smartphone with you?
Attempted new signature...
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Bought my Acqua in 1999 at Walmart for $9. Hoping that it lasts me till I die.
midareff

Post by midareff »

It's the joys of Bogleheadism dudes.......................................

I still have that Black Plastic Casio (two decades) which I still wear out of country. In country I wear Rolex's.... it isn't a watch, it is male jewelry.

No confusion.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

You're not going to get motivated to spend money on a rolex on this forum. You will get 90% to say its foolish and go w a Timex or no watch...use the smartphone. We have had some hilarious watch posts on this forum over the years. I personally would do it but I'm of the type that follows BH principles 99% of time and let's it go occasionally to satisfy my high priority wants (BMW, expensive watch, expensive vacations) and experiences. For many, not buying is the reinforcer, the pleasure. THere is no right or wrong, or good or bad here but I think you already made up your mind not to buy the watch. :happy
Last edited by lwfitzge on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

pennstater2005 wrote:Check out this thread :D

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27707
Hahaha! I knew some one would post that :D

OP, you might as well get ready for the firestorm of debate: "Oh, yeah, I have a Casiotron from 1974 with the strap broken off - I use safety pins to attach it to the skin on my wrist because the money for a replacement strap is better used in my Total Stock Market fund account!" :mrgreen:
Last edited by Raymond on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Ask Petrocelli, he's the watch expert here :wink:

But I can sympathize......the more time I spend on here, the less willing I am to part with money. :shock: The best watch I own is an Omega, I hardly wear it :oops: and it is....a very nice watch. :confused
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Because secretly you want the $20,000 one. :D

Me, I don't wear a watch and use my iPhone 5 when I need to check the time.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
linguini

Post by linguini »

TravelforFun wrote:I've always wanted a Rolex. Wanted it when I was 20 and now I'm 60. I have a 7-figure investment and no debts. I don't think I'm cheap since we live comfortably and travel extensively .... South America couple of years ago, Europe last year, and Australia this year. Every time I go to the mall with my wife, I stop at the jewelry store window and look at that watch but I can't pull the trigger and write an $8,000 check. Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me.

I was reading the posts about midlife crisis. Is that what it would take to push me over the edge and buy that watch or am I too late for midlife crisis (which is perfectly fine with me lol)?
Ignore everyone else in this thread. You have wanted a Rolex for 40 years so you know it's not a whimsical or impulsive buy. Clearly you can afford it, and you don't make a habit of stupid big ticket purchases or you would have bought it already at some point during the last 40 years. For the life of me, I cannot understand desiring an expensive watch, and wearing such an expensive thing on a wrist seems utterly silly to me, but clearly it would bring you great joy and pleasure to know you are finally wearing it, and there is nothing frivolous about buying something that would bring you great satisfaction. Ultimately, we earn money to spend it, not to keep it in bank accounts. Just because you don't have to spend money doesn't mean you shouldn't.

So, here's my suggestion: tell your wife you've wanted a Rolex since you were 20 but that you can never seem to get yourself to actually buy one. Do it the next time it seems like a reasonable segue in a conversation. Maybe even the next time you're passing one of those jewelry stores in the mall. Then she can provide you with the push you need to finally pull the trigger on that $8k check just this once (and just this once, no cheating) so you can have something you have wanted your whole life and can easily afford now.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

DON"T DO IT!

you'll only suffer buyers remorse :sharebeer

Sam
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

linguini wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:I've always wanted a Rolex. Wanted it when I was 20 and now I'm 60. I have a 7-figure investment and no debts. I don't think I'm cheap since we live comfortably and travel extensively .... South America couple of years ago, Europe last year, and Australia this year. Every time I go to the mall with my wife, I stop at the jewelry store window and look at that watch but I can't pull the trigger and write an $8,000 check. Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me.

Ignore everyone else in this thread. You have wanted a Rolex for 40 years so you know it's not a whimsical or impulsive buy. Clearly you can afford it, and you don't make a habit of stupid big ticket purchases or you would have bought it already at some point during the last 40 years. For the life of me, I cannot understand desiring an expensive watch, and wearing such an expensive thing on a wrist seems utterly silly to me, but clearly it would bring you great joy and pleasure to know you are finally wearing it, and there is nothing frivolous about buying something that would bring you great satisfaction. Ultimately, we earn money to spend it, not to keep it in bank accounts. Just because you don't have to spend money doesn't mean you shouldn't.

So, here's my suggestion: tell your wife you've wanted a Rolex since you were 20 but that you can never seem to get yourself to actually buy one. Do it the next time it seems like a reasonable segue in a conversation. Maybe even the next time you're passing one of those jewelry stores in the mall. Then she can provide you with the push you need to finally pull the trigger on that $8k check just this once (and just this once, no cheating) so you can have something you have wanted your whole life and can easily afford now.
But don't ignore me too because I agree with the above.I don't know you, but my guess is that it would be as much a present for your wife as for you (cf "Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me."). My wife was pleased to be able to get me a Nikon D4, which is 10x the camera I need, but it made me happy (of course, I waited 40 years to buy the Nikon flagship camera, not the specific model). If there were a corresponding thing that my wife had waited 40 years for, I'd be happy beyond words to be able to have her buy it -- wouldn't you for your wife?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

OP, I bought a nice watch. Now that I've had it, I want to dump it, and regret buying it. I want a Seiko now. Thankfully, I don't like "stuff," but even this rare splurge purchase annoys me.
momar

Post by momar »

Just get it.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
linguini

Post by linguini »

TomatoTomahto wrote:But don't ignore me too because I agree with the above.I don't know you, but my guess is that it would be as much a present for your wife as for you (cf "Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me."). My wife was pleased to be able to get me a Nikon D4, which is 10x the camera I need, but it made me happy (of course, I waited 40 years to buy the Nikon flagship camera, not the specific model). If there were a corresponding thing that my wife had waited 40 years for, I'd be happy beyond words to be able to have her buy it -- wouldn't you for your wife?
This is really sweet and touching advice. I didn't think of it that way. :happy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
linguini wrote:

But don't ignore me too because I agree with the above.I don't know you, but my guess is that it would be as much a present for your wife as for you (cf "Wife doesn't know my secret desire or she would have gotten it for me."). My wife was pleased to be able to get me a Nikon D4, which is 10x the camera I need, but it made me happy (of course, I waited 40 years to buy the Nikon flagship camera, not the specific model). If there were a corresponding thing that my wife had waited 40 years for, I'd be happy beyond words to be able to have her buy it -- wouldn't you for your wife?
+2. Of all the expensive material things we men are into, I understand watches the least. My mother bought me a ~$150 Kenneth Cole stainless steel watch when I finished undergrad, I asked her to return it and buy herself something because I'd never use it. Its only function is something you can get for free all around you and I simply don't get man jewelry at all. BUT, if you have been thinking about it for 4 decades you need to do yourself (and everybody around you) a favor and get it.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask since I'm not sure where my $40 Timex is, but in your financial situation and at your age, buy it. Sounds like it's something you really want and you've earned. It is not an item that will depreciate to nothing
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Buy a used one. You'll have a Rolex, but not pay full price.
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

My favorite wrist watch story:
Many years ago, my uncle was a purchasing manager at a Fortune 500 company. One day, he was eating lunch in the executive dinging room when the CEO walked in. Noticing that my uncle was alone, the CEO sat down at his table. Shortly, other top executives arrived and joined them. This was not the sort of group my uncle would have normally eaten his lunch with. He was a good-humored but humble sort of guy. And while he felt out of place with this group, he didn't think it would be good for him to simply get up and move to another table so he stayed.
Eventually the subject of wrist watches came up among the group. With this hyper-competitive group, the discussion quickly turned into a contest of one-ups-man-ship. Eventually the CEO lifted his sleeve to show his own watch and announced: "Timex, I got it at JC Penney's, cost me about $20 and it's never given me a lick of trouble." The CEO then looked over at my uncle, who hadn't participated in the contest, and gave him a warm smile and a wink. The rest of the table went silent.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
H22

Post by H22 »

DTSC wrote:Buy a used one. You'll have a Rolex, but not pay full price.
Just about to suggest this. Plus, it will most likely appreciate in value so view it as an investment (that claim can't be made for many other watches)!
prudent

Post by prudent »

There was a certain collectible I had wanted from when I was a teenager. I never imagined I would ever be able to get one - that was for the top echelon of people who collected them. Through the years I have picked up other collectibles in the same field but not that particular one. And like yourself, I got to where I was in a position to own one. I thought about it long and hard for a few years and not long ago concluded that being ABLE to have one was really as satisfying as owning one. I know that if I did buy one, I would actually not have great satisfaction from the ownership experience. But I know if I wanted one, I could do it. THAT meant something to me.

So my suggestion is to think about what the experience would be like to own that Rolex, whatever that would mean for you. And if you see yourself enjoying it, then do it because you will get satisfaction from owning it.
ualdriver

Post by ualdriver »

I don't get these threads. For God's sake, you have a 7 figure portfolio and you want to drop a few bucks on a luxury like a nice watch or a nice car or a set of clubs? Go buy your watch and enjoy it.

I love watches and have a couple of nice ones. I buy them on eBay or use Google shopping to find discount retailers. If that will make you feel better, go that route. If you buy it and feel buyer's remorse, then sell it using the same method. Sure you might end up out a few bucks on the round trip transaction but who cares?
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

If it fits within the amount of total spending you planned for this year or feel comfortable with, buy it. Simple as that.
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

I own this with a black face (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Three-hand- ... B001UEBY4Q) and would never imagine splurging $8000 on a watch (can't imagine splurging that amount on anything besides a car at the moment). Looks gorgeous and I get compliments on it all the time. :P Sometimes I wish it had a date function, but besides that, it's perfect.
rixer

Post by rixer »

I bought a Rolex in Mexico once. It was only $15.00. I don't know what the big deal is.... :P
OAG

Post by OAG »

Surprised no one mentioned a Pawn Shop (but maybe I missed it). They may even let you rent a nice one for a week or so for about $100 or so. Fall in love with it purchase it or return it. Be sure to get it looked at by a reputable watch person (there are just a few fakes around).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

The question to ask yourself is if you really want the Rolex, or if you just like to window shop. There is a distinct difference. If you just like to window shop, it's the process of looking at the item(s) and thinking about "what if" that's the fun part, but the actual procurement of the items will not lead to fulfilling any of the "what ifs". It's basically the idea, not the item, one likes if one is window shopping. You should probably figure out if it's the idea or the item you want, before you (or your wife) spend the money on the item.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Most people today do not wear watches. They use their cellphones to tell them the time.

I have two watches that I never wear. The batteries died. I replaced the batteries and didn't wear the watches. They died again.

Watches are obsolete.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I always wanted a Patek Philippe.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Write the check,you won't regret it . You can't take it with you and if you don't spend some of it someone else will when your gone. You are in the sixth decade of your life.Enjoy some of the fruits of your labor. Its money,you are supposed to enjoy some of it for whatever you want regardless of what anybody else thinks.And by the way ,make sure you get the Rolex that you REALLY want ,even if it costs more than 8k,YOU DESERVE IT :happy.
It it helps you any I had a mini crisis a few weeks ago(Im a couple years older than you).
My wife and I have always wanted a Honda Crv,did we Need it ,,probably not ,but I "wrote the check" for a new one.No regrets whatsoever.If it is something you have always wanted in life and can afford it don't hesitate to treat yourself ,regardless of what others might think.You DESERVE it :happy
Last edited by Toons on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Also think about safety, someone might rob you when you show an expensive watch in public.
tylerherman

Post by tylerherman »

Who wears a wrist watch in 2013?
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

Watches have lost some of their utility in the era of smartphones. People do wear Rolexes and other watches for fashion, a piece of jewelry. Admittedly, I look at my phone for the time often but wear my nice Tag Heuer everyday.
Last edited by lwfitzge on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 »

HardKnocker wrote:Most people today do not wear watches. They use their cellphones to tell them the time.

I have two watches that I never wear. The batteries died. I replaced the batteries and didn't wear the watches. They died again.

Watches are obsolete.
I know that many don't, but as a young 20-something, I still do. It completes a slick, clean, smart look. ;)
rfburns

Post by rfburns »

I've never understood why people buy $5000 watches. It is not because they keep better time, so it must be bling or a status symbol thing. I can appreciate wanting a Rolex, but I would not dare go out in public wearing it, so it counters my need.

OP you appear to have the means and if would fulfill your desire then go for it.
norookie

Post by norookie »

There are many nice watches out there theses days. There are many expensive watches out there too. I think of them as jewelry with so many time points out there today. JMO
Last edited by norookie on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

I have bought two Rolex watches, one for each of my sons-in-law. I had gifted my daughters some funds from my father's estate. The money was given to the couples, but I felt a personal gift to the SILs might be a nice thing to do, as I don't know how they might feel about the gift of money I had given to them. I wanted to give them something personal.

I thought about buying myself one as well, but I think I received much more pleasure giving Rolex watches than I would have received had I bought one for myself.

Owning an expensive watch hasn't been a priority of mine, but honestly if I really wanted one I wouldn't hesitate, so long as I could afford it. I would probably buy my wife one prior to buying myself one, at this time in my life. It never hurts to have a little good will banked in a marriage. Might come in handy one day, when I really do want something for myself. :D

Nice thing about buying my sons-in-law the watches is come July each SIL will have a son, perhaps they can pass down their watches, though they are under no obligation to do so.

Travelforfun, $8,000 might seem a lot of money, but I assure you I know a couple of people (not me, thankfully) that found their midlife crisis cost them half their assets. I bet you might know a couple of folks that paid the same price for their midlife crisis. :oops:

Examined in that light, $8,000 is peanuts, I'd say. Get your watch, and enjoy it. But make sure that is your only midlife crisis, lest you end up losing it, and more!

Sam I Am
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

I bought a Rolex in the 1960's and wore it for many years. Then i dropped it. It never kept proper time after that, in spite of sending it to Rolex. I have owned expensive cars in the past, and have enjoyed owning all of these things. Maybe i got it out of my system.

When i wore the Rolex my Dad had an Accutron.

My current watch is a Seiko Solar for $100, and i drive a Camry. I am at the point where i actually enjoy owning less, except maybe an iPad and other gadgets. Now i spend what little i have on food, entertainment, and travel. Soon we are off to the early bird special.

Remember a Rolex is mechanical.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Op, what is it about a Rolex that you like? There is a boglehead solution to this. If it is the artistry of a fine mechanical timepiece that you want, there are some good options in the $1500 range. Hamilton,Raymond Weil, longines etc.

On the other hand a properly documented Rolex is one of the most liquid collectibles. It holds value well too.

The problem with a Rolex is that those who know watches look down on an entry level Rolex. And those who don't cant understand why you bought it or think its fake.
mhc

Post by mhc »

If you can afford it, buy it. What else is money for if you don't enjoy it?

I got a $500 watch for a work anniversary gift. I hate it because it is too heavy. I prefer my cheap black casio. I have one that has been going on its original battery for 25 years.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
bigcmagor

Post by bigcmagor »

If I wanted anything for 40 years and could now easily afford it, I'd buy it. Actually thinking of buying another so that both of my sons can inherit one. What else can they carry through the balance of their lives that was a daily part of dad's life?
plats

Post by plats »

I have a Rolex but I wear my Casio every day. It’s lightweight, radio controlled, solar powered, accurate, and if it’s misplaced only costs $200 to replace.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

TravelforFun:
Probably because you are intelligent and self-confident like our mentor, Jack Bogle.

Mr. Bogle told me that the $17 watch he wears was given to him by a friend while he was in the hospital getting ready to receive his heart transplant.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

linguini wrote:Ignore everyone else in this thread. You have wanted a Rolex for 40 years so you know it's not a whimsical or impulsive buy. Clearly you can afford it, and you don't make a habit of stupid big ticket purchases or you would have bought it already at some point during the last 40 years. For the life of me, I cannot understand desiring an expensive watch, and wearing such an expensive thing on a wrist seems utterly silly to me, but clearly it would bring you great joy and pleasure to know you are finally wearing it, and there is nothing frivolous about buying something that would bring you great satisfaction. Ultimately, we earn money to spend it, not to keep it in bank accounts. Just because you don't have to spend money doesn't mean you shouldn't.

I agree with every word of this except one thing.

Let your wife know you want it and then let her surprise you. It has probably been a long time since she could really get some joy out of getting something for you. You already have most everything you want or need. Knowing that you have wanted it for 40 years would make giving it very special for her too.

You should have watch. But maybe not wear it on some of your trips. :beer
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

ualdriver wrote:I don't get these threads. For God's sake, you have a 7 figure portfolio and you want to drop a few bucks on a luxury like a nice watch or a nice car or a set of clubs? Go buy your watch and enjoy it.
People need Boglehead approval for extravagant purchases of "X" for fear of being kicked out of the Boglehead order. Double points if John Bogle gives personal approval to buy extravagent purchase of "X."

I see the need for an Off-Topic forum.
SHL

Post by SHL »

I bought a nice Seiko watch recently, on sale for $125 USD. It looks nice and keeps excellent time, so it's perfect for me.
Stephen
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (consumer item).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:Bought my Acqua in 1999 at Walmart for $9. Hoping that it lasts me till I die.
Or 'til the battery dies, whichever is first. :)
rixer wrote:I bought a Rolex in Mexico once. It was only $15.00. I don't know what the big deal is.... :P
My brother bought me one in Taiwan. I think he also paid $15. It never kept very good time. though. :P
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

With all the power and authority vested in me, I hearby give you permission to buy the Rolex watch you have always wanted.

$8K is not going to break you.
A fool and his money are good for business.