Whart smartphone should I get?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Whart smartphone should I get?

Post by Petrocelli »

My employer is going to buy me a smartphone for up to $300. I have never owned one. What one should I buy?

I am thinking about the Motorola Razr HD or the Samsung Galaxy S III. Any thoughts?
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Epsilon Delta

Re: Whart smartphone should I get?

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Petrocelli wrote:My employer is going to buy me a smartphone for up to $300. I have never owned one. What one should I buy?

I am thinking about the Motorola Razr HD or the Samsung Galaxy S III. Any thoughts?
Will you own it after your employer buys it? I ask this because if your employer owns it all of the information on the phone is his. The employer can look at the information, or track your location or listen to your phone calls. Your employer can authorize somebody else to do these things without telling you. Is that worth $300?

To answer your question: None of them.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Samsung Galaxy S III or wait for the Galaxy S4 in April :happy

http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
modal

Post by modal »

The Samsung Galaxy S3 seems to be the premium phone everyone at my work uses.

Next Version
http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys4/

I still have a candy bar phone and haven't upgraded to see what I'm missing.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'm a big fan of using a stylus, so I have a Galaxy Note 2. I like the interface, particularly using the stylus to compose texts and emails. This seems far more efficient than the onscreen keyboard, although I suppose one gets used to Swipe or the other quick input methods after a while when using the onscreen keyboards.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

What carrier? Are you okay signing a 2-year contract where I'm guessing your employer will reimburse up to $300 for the phone + plan? How soon do you need to pick a phone?
vv19

Post by vv19 »

If you can wait for S4, then go for it. If not, get the S3 or Note 2. You won't find a better smartphone than those two, IMO.
northernisland

Post by northernisland »

I bought Google's Nexus 4. I love it. It sells for ~300 with 8gb (a little more with tax and shipping). I highly recommend it.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Petrocelli wrote:My employer is going to buy me a smartphone for up to $300. I have never owned one. What one should I buy?

Go with what works and what works best. Hands down, the iPhone 5.

Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
empb

Post by empb »

If you want your hand held, buy an iPhone. If you're more of a power user who likes to tweak and customize, I'd wait for the Galaxy S4 (or any other high-end Android device.)
mhc

Post by mhc »

If you are already in the Apple eco-system (ipad, imac, ipod, ...) then iPhone. Otherwise, Galaxy SIII today, SIV in a month or two.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Will you own it after your employer buys it? I ask this because if your employer owns it all of the information on the phone is his.
I will own it. The reason my employer is so generous is that about 10 years ago, my firm got us all Blackberries for email access. I am the last person in my firm still using a blackberry, and the company wants to end that contract. If I get a smartphone, I will get my work emails on the smartphone instead of the Blackberry.

I will also get $50 a month to cover the phone charges.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Mudpuppy wrote:I'm a big fan of using a stylus, so I have a Galaxy Note 2.
I looked at that phone. It seemed too big for my hands.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Cosmo wrote:
Go with what works and what works best. Hands down, the iPhone 5.
I looked at one that a friend at work had, and the typing screen seemed small er on the iphone that on the Motorola or Samsung. I'm an old guy and I need big letters for my thumbs.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

harikaried wrote:What carrier? Are you okay signing a 2-year contract where I'm guessing your employer will reimburse up to $300 for the phone + plan? How soon do you need to pick a phone?
I am with Verizon and will renew my contract in April. As stated above, I get $50 a month for phone charges.
vshun

Post by vshun »

in your situation I would go with Razr Max HD if employer is with Verizon for long battery, rugged construction and overall quality build.

In our family only Nexus phones but we do not deal with employer provided phones, this is what Bberry for, would not pollute nice phone with employer installed crapware.
Polystallion

Post by Polystallion »

For your first smartphone you will like the iPhone best.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

I would be reluctant to get an iphone based on an American Bar Association article suggesting that attorneys should avoid it based on the many security issues that may arise. It is actually a very sleek, enjoyable security risk.

Whatever phone you get, be sure to install antivirus software. Many people do not realize that there are a slew of viruses on smart phones these days, and they are easy to get. No one warns the first time user of a smart phone that they need to protect their phone. AVG has a free version for the phone, I believe.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

The next iPhone is expected in the Spring. You may want to wait to see if the new iPhone will meet your needs. I like the iPhone 5, but I am waiting to buy to see if the new iPhone is upgraded with new features.
Best Wishes, | Joe
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Petrocelli wrote:I am with Verizon and will renew my contract in April
There are some new phones that will be available starting in April, so maybe you should check what actually is available at that time. For current phones on Verizon, it seems like the HTC Droid DNA is the current best seller, at least on Amazon:

http://wireless.amazon.com/b/684177011? ... ierVerizon

What's important to you? Screen size? Battery life? Build quality / design? Camera? SIM card support for international travel?
Toons

Post by Toons »

Petrocelli wrote:
harikaried wrote:What carrier? Are you okay signing a 2-year contract where I'm guessing your employer will reimburse up to $300 for the phone + plan? How soon do you need to pick a phone?
I am with Verizon and will renew my contract in April. As stated above, I get $50 a month for phone charges.

In that case Samsung S4 :happy

"The Galaxy S4, will hit six U.S. cellular networks beginning in April 2013. Indeed, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Cricket, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon plan to sell Samsung's latest creation starting next month".

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575743 ... -carriers/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
davebarnes

Seriously?

Post by davebarnes »

Dulocracy wrote:I would be reluctant to get an iphone based on an American Bar Association article suggesting that attorneys should avoid it based on the many security issues that may arise.
This article
http://www.americanbar.org/publications ... _pg24.html
is 3.5 years old.
A nerd living in Denver
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Petrocelli wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote: Will you own it after your employer buys it? I ask this because if your employer owns it all of the information on the phone is his.
I will own it. The reason my employer is so generous is that about 10 years ago, my firm got us all Blackberries for email access. I am the last person in my firm still using a blackberry, and the company wants to end that contract. If I get a smartphone, I will get my work emails on the smartphone instead of the Blackberry.

I will also get $50 a month to cover the phone charges.
Even though it may be your own phone, if you do any business on it or access the company's network, ALL DATA on that phone is discoverable if some kind of litigation comes up with your employer. Same thing can be said if you do any kind of business related work on your home computer.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Cosmo wrote:Go with what works and what works best. Hands down, the iPhone 5.

Cosmo
Hands down? Yeah, if battery life isn't important. And if you never want to be free from the Evil Empire. :wink:
There are Apple people, and then there are those of us who don't want to join the cult. So, we buy Android (and Windows, perhaps) phones. My first smartphone is the HTC Android phone that I'm still using. I will replace it this summer with a new Android phone, probably the Samsung S3 or S4, or another HTC.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I have a Razr Max (not sure if it's HD) and I LOVE it. Much better everything than my coworkers with iProducts.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Tamahome

Re: Seriously?

Post by Tamahome »

davebarnes wrote: This article
http://www.americanbar.org/publications ... _pg24.html
is 3.5 years old.
So it is! I read it in a magazine in November/December of last year. I did not realize that I had such an old magazine come across my desk. I did not date check when posting earlier, as I threw it away after reading it at the end of last year.

According to the fancy IT guy we use, the second part of my statement is still relevant (even on the iphone):

Whatever phone you get, be sure to install antivirus software. Many people do not realize that there are a slew of viruses on smart phones these days, and they are easy to get. No one warns the first time user of a smart phone that they need to protect their phone. AVG has a free version for the phone, I believe.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 »

I would get the Nexus 4 (buy straight from google store for $299). Then I would put it on straightalk (uses AT&T network) for unlimited web, text and minutes for $45/month. That way the employer pays for 100% of phone and 100% of monthly services!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

deanbrew wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Go with what works and what works best. Hands down, the iPhone 5.

Cosmo
Hands down? Yeah, if battery life isn't important. And if you never want to be free from the Evil Empire. :wink:
There are Apple people, and then there are those of us who don't want to join the cult. So, we buy Android (and Windows, perhaps) phones. My first smartphone is the HTC Android phone that I'm still using. I will replace it this summer with a new Android phone, probably the Samsung S3 or S4, or another HTC.
That's funny. It used to be Microsoft and Windows were the Evil Empire. And how about Google with all their data mining and now the Google glasses to spy on people? :happy
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

rkhusky wrote: That's funny. It used to be Microsoft and Windows were the Evil Empire. And how about Google with all their data mining and now the Google glasses to spy on people? :happy
They're all evil. As with voting, it's a matter of choosing the lesser of the evils. :?

There are certainly things about Google that bother me, as well as Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc. But I really can't stand the way Apple is so smug and proprietary about their products and software. The fact that you can't replace a battery in an iphone or ipad or ipod without disassembling it - requiring tools and voiding the warranty - just irks me. I can replace the batteries in my phone and mp3 players in 15 seconds. An iphone? No such luck, little brainwashed consumer. Your battery won't hold a charge anymore? No problem. You NEED to buy the latest version anyway, so you remain one of the cool kids, right, Mr. iSheep?
Last edited by deanbrew on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

deanbrew wrote:
rkhusky wrote: That's funny. It used to be Microsoft and Windows were the Evil Empire. And how about Google with all their data mining and now the Google glasses to spy on people? :happy
They're all evil. As with voting, it's a matter of choosing the lesser of the evils. :?

There are certainly things about Google that bother me, as well as Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc. But I really can't stand the way Apple is so smug and proprietary about their products and software. The fact that you can't replace a battery in an iphone or ipad or ipod without disassembling it - requiring tools and voiding the warranty - just irks me. I can replace the batteries in my phone and mp3 players in 15 seconds. An iphone? No such luck, little brainwashed consumer. Your battery won't hold a charge anymore? No problem. You NEED to buy the latest version anyway, so you remain one of the cool kids, right?
There are advantages to controlling the whole system and tight integration. Consumers can choose which way they want to go. Neither choice is right or wrong. It's just a preference.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Petrocelli wrote: I am the last person in my firm still using a blackberry ... I will get my work emails on the smartphone instead of the Blackberry.
You might want to consider why you stuck with the Blackberry and what you liked about it.

If you stuck with it because it did the job so there was no reason to upgrade then most phones will be acceptable. If you stuck with it because, for example, it had a full keyboard that should limit your choice.
Last edited by Epsilon Delta on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Here's a mini review of the HTC One from AnandTech:

http://www.anandtech.com/print/6851/the ... ini-review

Apparently it's so good that "It’s rare that I’m so moved by a device to chime in outside of the official review, but the One is a definite exception." An interesting comment at the end that the phone is great for enthusiasts but can work great for mainstream users compared to Samsung's S4 which is by design for the average mainstream user.
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

On Verizon, the iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One are all good options. Honestly the only reason I think there is to choose the iphone is if you're already using the apple ecosystem. If you're not I would encourage you to consider the android options. The Galaxy S III gets more hype but anyone who's used both will say the HTC One is premium.

Go to a store that has them all and try them out.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Blackberry has two new phones soon to be available on Verizon, the 10Z and the 10Q. The 10Z has a screen keyboard and will be available on the 28th from Verizon. The 10Q has a physical keyboard with an as-yet-unannounced release date (possible April).
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I am anti Apple though I support them and they are a necessity. If you have to ask, the iPhone is for you, or any locked down phone OS. An Android of any type is a little too open for those that seem to break everything.

Personally (the wife and I) have Motorola Triumphs running a CM7 variation with HTC One Vs on standby when Virgin Mobile kills the $25 grandfathered plan.

When Virgin Mobile kills the $25 plan I will most likely put my wife on a iPhone with Straight Talk unless better options become available. (I understand the past two sentences are contradictory but I loaded up a $400 credit for each of us on Virgin Mobile because I bought credit at a 20%+ discount http://slickdeals.net/f/5684168-Virgin- ... today-only)
sscritic wrote:Blackberry has two new phones soon to be available on Verizon, the 10Z and the 10Q. The 10Z has a screen keyboard and will be available on the 28th from Verizon. The 10Q has a physical keyboard with an as-yet-unannounced release date (possible April).
I love(d) Blackberry, I had a Blackberry Pearl before they forced you in a data plan (T-Mobile and others). I only turned on data when I traveled for work. It is unfortunate that cell phone providers force you into a contract (lease) like you are financing a automobile.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

While you're in the Verizon store, take a look at the Windows Phones as well, particularly if you're already integrated with the Microsoft ecosystem for other things (like, say, work). If the company's buying, I'd start with the HTC 8X.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
eddiejov55

Post by eddiejov55 »

iPhone 5.

I am probably opening up the gates of hell with this comment, so here it goes! I do not know anyone who has an iPhone who says "I wonder if I would have been better off with a (fill in the blank)?" But I know plenty of people who have (fill in the blank) who say "I wonder if I would have been better off with an iPhone?" You might regret it if your first dance with a smart phone is not with the iPhone!

Apple might be the evil empire, but they are good at what they do.

In summary: go with the iPhone 5.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

I'll give you one very good reason to go with Apple and iPhone 5: updates and support. When a new IOS update is released, your iPhone is going to get updated, which is very, very nice.

The rest of the field? Bad to nonexistent update support for Android products. Samsung, HTC, and the rest of them release these smartphones, and then abandon them as they race to launch the next suite of products. After the product has been out a year or two (at most), you will get no support and no Android updates. I've had this happen twice, with a Galaxy phone and a Samsung Vibrant phone on T-Mobile. Heck, I'm still stuck on Android 2.0 with the Vibrant. Go ahead and search the T-Mobile forums, you will see hundreds, if not thousands, of people cursing Samsung for essentially abandoning T-Mobile customers. So all the great new Android developments from Google -- we get none of them with what increasingly is becoming a bricked phone.

Apple all the way. Not to mention, I'm getting sick and tired of these South Korean companies stealing intellectual property and copycatting Apple. Did you hear Samsung now is coming out with a smart watch -- only after Apple mentions they are working on one, of course.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:I'll give you one very good reason to go with Apple... The rest of the field?.. Apple all the way.
You seem to be quick to generalize for some reason? Basically calling non-iPhones as worthless devices made by thieves from South Korea.

In terms of updates, people have suggested the Nexus phones from Google that do get new features regularly. For the non-Nexus Android devices, it seems like some companies have been paying attention to the customer complaints and have been providing support/updates.

If for some reason you don't want devices from South Korea, there's HTC, Motorola, Sony just to name a few. You did cite 2 bad experiences both with Samsung phones, so it's fair to not support/recommend their products, but there are plenty of companies not named Samsung that aren't Apple.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Petrocelli wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:I'm a big fan of using a stylus, so I have a Galaxy Note 2.
I looked at that phone. It seemed too big for my hands.
I'm a rather average sized woman with average sized hands and the phone fits perfectly fine in my hands. It's long, but it's also narrow enough to be very comfortable to hold with one hand. It's only about 80mm wide. I often hold it in my left hand and use the right hand to take notes, browse the web, write emails/texts, and so on with the stylus. It might be a bit too big for the thumb typing I see many engage in, but you don't need to thumb type with the Note since the handwriting recognition is pretty good.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

harikaried wrote:If for some reason you don't want devices from South Korea, there's HTC, Motorola, Sony just to name a few. You did cite 2 bad experiences both with Samsung phones, so it's fair to not support/recommend their products, but there are plenty of companies not named Samsung that aren't Apple.
I agree.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:I'll give you one very good reason to go with Apple and iPhone 5: updates and support. When a new IOS update is released, your iPhone is going to get updated, which is very, very nice.

The rest of the field? Bad to nonexistent update support for Android products. Samsung, HTC, and the rest of them release these smartphones, and then abandon them as they race to launch the next suite of products. After the product has been out a year or two (at most), you will get no support and no Android updates. I've had this happen twice, with a Galaxy phone and a Samsung Vibrant phone on T-Mobile. Heck, I'm still stuck on Android 2.0 with the Vibrant. Go ahead and search the T-Mobile forums, you will see hundreds, if not thousands, of people cursing Samsung for essentially abandoning T-Mobile customers. So all the great new Android developments from Google -- we get none of them with what increasingly is becoming a bricked phone.

Apple all the way. Not to mention, I'm getting sick and tired of these South Korean companies stealing intellectual property and copycatting Apple. Did you hear Samsung now is coming out with a smart watch -- only after Apple mentions they are working on one, of course.
My Android phone gets updates.

I've heard from coworkers that the iPhone updates slow down their older phones, making them feel like they have to drop several hundred dollars on a new device in order to have something that works.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

bungalow10 wrote:
DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:I'll give you one very good reason to go with Apple and iPhone 5: updates and support. When a new IOS update is released, your iPhone is going to get updated, which is very, very nice.

My Android phone gets updates.

I've heard from coworkers that the iPhone updates slow down their older phones, making them feel like they have to drop several hundred dollars on a new device in order to have something that works.
I have Apple 3G. I bought it used. No iOS updates for it. Apple has abandoned it, so if I want updates, I have to stick with the jailbreak software.
Apple will eventually abandon iPhone models. Do not kid yourself.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

1. Nokia 920 (Windows 8) phone. Hands down the best phone I ever had.

I like the Galaxy too, but the Windows 8 phone seems faster (ATT).

As an ex iPhone user I think they are SO overrated. If you want to pay for a name then get the iphone. IPhone users tend to try and argue or be smug that you are also not an iPhone user. I even have friends that get offended how I switched on them.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

eddiejov55 wrote:I do not know anyone who has an iPhone who says "I wonder if I would have been better off with a (fill in the blank)?"
A colleague of mine is giving up his iPhone for an Android. He says he's tired of Apple's "walled garden" mentality and total control over the product, and wants to try something newer, more flexible, and more innovative.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's probably a little on the older side at this point, but I can't see myself ever going back to a non-Nexus phone. Nexus phones are "pure Android," without all the useless apps, programming, and "skins" the phone manufacturers insist on layering over Android that seem to do nothing but degrade system performance and use up internal memory. After being forced to put up with Samsung's crud in my previous phone, having a pure Android phone is amazing. I can't go back.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

FedGuy wrote:A colleague of mine is giving up his iPhone for an Android. He says he's tired of Apple's "walled garden" mentality and total control over the product, and wants to try something newer, more flexible, and more innovative.
I don't consider myself totally helpless in the the tech world, but I am at a loss to know what someone can do with a non Apple cell phone that the iphone can't do. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have other Apple products. My experience with Apple products has been a lot more positive than with the many other non Apple products that I have owned over the years.
Best Wishes, | Joe
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

FedGuy wrote: I can't see myself ever going back to a non-Nexus phone. Nexus phones are "pure Android," without all the useless apps, programming, and "skins" the phone manufacturers insist on layering over Android that seem to do nothing but degrade system performance and use up internal memory.
I don't own a smartphone, but I do read. This is a good point. Not all Android phones are equal, in particular, not all Android phones get updates at the same pace.*

On the other hand, I am not sure I would want to be tied into the Google ecosystem anymore than I want to be tied into the Apple ecosystem.

Slightly off topic, but the average age of a Google service before Google drops it entirely is 1,459 days

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... ces-closed

Of course, that average is based only on the dead, not the living.

* More slightly off topic on Google. I have a Logitech Revue which acts like a Google TV. The version of YouTube for Google TV on my Revue does not match the YouTube TV on my Panasonic TV nor on my computer (one lists favorites, one does not - I am not sure which version of YouTube my son's Sony Google TV has on it):

https://www.youtube.com/tv
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

JMacDonald, I've never had an iPhone and am not personally aware of whatever limitations they might have (my colleague did recently complain about being shackled to iTunes, though). My colleague has had two or three phones in the 14 or 15 months in which I've known him, so I get the sense that he gets bored easily and is frustrated with waiting for Apple to roll out a single new model once every year or two. He also mentioned that he's played around with some of the new Samsungs and, having done so, now feels that the iPhone screen is too small. He seems interested in the fact that you can buy bigger Android phones now and that newer ones with interesting features are coming out constantly.

Sscritic, another advantage of the Nexus is that updates are rolled out fairly quickly. Yes, the Android update thing is generally a drag, but apparently part of the deal with Nexus phones is that they're upgraded more quickly, and I think for longer, than all the other phones. This is because updates don't need to be adapted to each manufacturer's programming and tailored to each specific phone, again because the Nexus is "pure Android." Also, I think Google sees the Nexus phones as their flagship Android products and wants to make sure they're taken care of.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Thanks for all your responses.

I spent about an hour today playing with phones. Here's what I think.

You get a lot less phone for your money with an iphone. The Samsung S3 and Motorola Razr Maxx HD have better screens, better batteries, and are just faster.

Assuming those are the two choices, does anyone who has actually owned one of the two have any additional thoughts?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FedGuy wrote:JMacDonald, I've never had an iPhone and am not personally aware of whatever limitations they might have (my colleague did recently complain about being shackled to iTunes, though). My colleague has had two or three phones in the 14 or 15 months in which I've known him, so I get the sense that he gets bored easily and is frustrated with waiting for Apple to roll out a single new model once every year or two. He also mentioned that he's played around with some of the new Samsungs and, having done so, now feels that the iPhone screen is too small. He seems interested in the fact that you can buy bigger Android phones now and that newer ones with interesting features are coming out constantly.

Sscritic, another advantage of the Nexus is that updates are rolled out fairly quickly. Yes, the Android update thing is generally a drag, but apparently part of the deal with Nexus phones is that they're upgraded more quickly, and I think for longer, than all the other phones. This is because updates don't need to be adapted to each manufacturer's programming and tailored to each specific phone, again because the Nexus is "pure Android." Also, I think Google sees the Nexus phones as their flagship Android products and wants to make sure they're taken care of.
A friend got a Nexus and loves it, but when I looked at the specs, I see that you can't remove the battery, and that really bothers me. I don't think I'd conider a phone where you can't get to the battery to do a hard reset, or to carry a spare charged battery when needed, or replace a dead battery.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi