What Type Of Wallet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tim1999

Re: What Type Of Wallet Do You Prefer?

Post by tim1999 »

I bought a black leather "one-fold" wallet at Marshall's for $20 when I was 16 years old. I'm in my 30s now and have no plans to replace it.
reisner

Post by reisner »

A Big Skinny nylon wallet, the slimmest there is for front-pocket carry. It holds a few cards, bills, and change as well.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

wageoghe wrote:I have one of these in leather:

http://www.all-ett.com/original-wallet/

It is nice because it keeps all of your credit cards, driver's license, etc from forming such a thick hump. Effectively reducing the thickness of the full wallet by half (depending on the amount if cash you carry).

PS, Welcome back Munchkin Man!
Greetings wageoghe:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your words of welcome for the Munchkin Man and for the wallet you recommended.

The Munchkin Man has bookmarked the page you provided.

The Munchkin Man has never owned a wallet in quite that style before.

But it looks like a wallet of high quality and one that the Munchkin Man can live with.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Magnum wrote:Easy... pick out a wallet from http://www.bigskinny.net. It sounds to me you would like http://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html.

For years I had a thick, heavy leather wallet that was about as thick as two decks of cards. I made the switch to Big Skinny and now can barely tell I have a wallet in my pocket. Granted, it helped that I stopped carrying a few cards. However, my Big Skinny full is more slim than my empty leather wallet! If still want a leather wallet, you can get the best of both worlds: leather outside, and skinny inside.
Greetings Magnum:

Thank you very much for recommendation.

This is exactly the style of wallet the Munchkin Man likes.

The Munchkin Man has bookmarked the site you have provided above.

Although the Munchkin Man has just purchased a new wallet, the Munchkin Man is now thinking about buying a new and better one.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The following is another wallet that the Munchkin Man is thinking about buying:

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/killerwallet.html

It has a total of 24 index pockets and 16 of them are concealed.

This wallet was designed for the performance of a certain magic trick the Munchkin Man likes.

Performing magic tricks is one of the Munchkin Man's hobbies.

The Munchkin Man has performed this magic trick several times before with a regular Buxton wallet.

But it is difficult to find places to store all of those cards.

This looks like the perfect wallet for this magic trick.

It also comes in the color and the style that the Munchkin Man likes.

The Munchkin Man only lives once.

The Munchkin Man might as well buy it.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
GenkiLawyer

Post by GenkiLawyer »

I bought this wallet used on Ebay for $40: http://www.cartier.com/show-me/leather- ... ard-holder

I would never spend almost $300 on a wallet like this at retail price, but I couldn't pass it up for 40.
I only carry a few cards with me at a time, an AMEX rewards card, a Visa rewards card, my debit card, and my ID, so this works great for me. It is nice and thin, but also has an expandable pocket to hold business cards or cash when I need to carry them.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

jhd wrote:...
Separately, has anyone ever told the Munchkin Man that he writes like a Chuck Pahalniuk novel?
I believe there has been dialog about MM's writing style. He's a unique Boglehead and I appreciate his willingness to be a little different. However, I'd not recommend he try writing his first novel. :wink:
clast

Post by clast »

I second the All-ett. I've had one for a few years now (leather outside, nylon inside. It's been great, and very thin. I got tired of my old thick wallet, so I got this. I think I have the "International wallet", but check out their site, they have several choices. http://www.all-ett.com/international-wa ... k-leather/
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

I received a Slimmy wallet as a groomsman present many years ago. I've used it ever since and it's been great. Not for the George Costanza's of this world.

http://www.amazon.com/Slimmy-Wallet-Ori ... B005CIX54S

Evidently it's no longer available...
bru

Post by bru »

I wonder why people give wallets as gifts as it is clear a persons preference is very unique and the chances of the gift being the correct type are slim. I have several gift wallets collecting dust.

I use a trifold. Current version is some sort of nylon. Bought at Walmart, I think.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I like the same type wallet as you describe MM - single fold, numerous slots for cards plus a window for driver's license and two pockets for bills in the back. I keep bills in one of the money pockets and CC receipts in the other.

I've used to find this style wallet at JC Penny but who knows whether that's possible now with the Apple guy in charge. The brand I purchased last time in this configuration was Dockers.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
gd

Post by gd »

After a guidebook about living in a foreign country I resided in explained that coin-purse wallets were recommended because young nubile store clerks were not impressed by men rooting around in their pants in front of them, I started using one with a coin purse. It proved to be so much more practical that upon return here, I stopped caring that young nubile store clerks in the USA were not impressed by men with coin-purse wallets.
skylar

Post by skylar »

My latest wallet is a $5 nylon bifold I bought at Kmart years ago when I was buying new jeans (on sale for $8/pair!). Works great.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

BlueEars wrote:
jhd wrote:...
Separately, has anyone ever told the Munchkin Man that he writes like a Chuck Pahalniuk novel?
I believe there has been dialog about MM's writing style. He's a unique Boglehead and I appreciate his willingness to be a little different. However, I'd not recommend he try writing his first novel. :wink:
Greetings BlueEars:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for your comments.

You may be interested to learn that the Munchkin Man has already written the Munchkin Man's first novel.

The Munchkin Man wrote it about ten years ago.

The Munchkin Man never got it published.

The Munchkin Man still has the manuscript.

It is stored in a wooden truck right beside the Munchkin Man's bed.

The Munchkin Man has been thinking about getting it published.

The Munchkin Man knows this will be an uphill battle.

The Munchkin Man knows that the odds are against the Munchkin Man.

The Munchkin Man has no plans to write a second novel at this time.

Instead, the Munchkin Man has another project in mind.

The Munchkin Man may write the Munchkin Man's autobiography.

Thanks again for your comments.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Unormal

Post by Unormal »

I use one of these: https://www.slimclip.com/

I like it! It's very durable; My wife used to have to sew me wallets out of canvas and carpet thread so they wouldn't disintegrate from the abuse I give them.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

I use one of those small note card clips that a pic was posted of early in this site. The reason is that it is very small, very light, and very strong. I have one of those small leather TUMI things but still thought it was bulky. I had a money clip but it didn't hold things tight enough and felt heavy.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

Does the Manage Foes list not work in the user control panel? I went to add Munchkin Man to the list and I only see Manage Friends.

I like the clips or pockets since I don't like magnets close to that "area". I was looking at this one recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Front-Po ... ket+wallet
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

CyberBob wrote:Image
What about coins?
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Yes, I use a clip like that cyberbob pic above, they probably cost less than a dollar. I took one off some paper stack that landed on my desk. I have a pretty small one, they come in different sizes.

Regarding coins: I try to pay with most everything from a credit card. If I get coins back I put them in my jacket pocket or pant pocket. I rarely have coins and I don't like coins.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

The Munchkin Man might try thrift stores (eg Goodwill, Hospice Shop, etc) and flea markets, where used leather wallets can be had for a song.

The Munchkin Man might not consider buying one until he finds one in good condition with a pocket calendar inside dating from 1959 or before. It will probably cost the Munchkin Man fifty cents.

If purchased at a thrift shop, The Munchkin Man might consider giving them a dollar and telling them to keep the change.

Upon finding said wallet, The Munchkin Man might extrapolate, and assume that said wallet is nearly indestructible, and that if said wallet has lasted 54 years, there is a good chance it will be around for another 54 years, until 2067, at which time the Munchkin Man's heir apparent can either use the wallet himself or sell it in an e-thrift shop as an antique for $250 adjusted for inflation, including the 1959 calendar.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

DAK wrote:Yes, I use a clip like that cyberbob pic above, they probably cost less than a dollar. I took one off some paper stack that landed on my desk. I have a pretty small one, they come in different sizes.

Regarding coins: I try to pay with most everything from a credit card. If I get coins back I put them in my jacket pocket or pant pocket. I rarely have coins and I don't like coins.
Need it for parking & tolls. Its hard to get around in Boston without coins. Although quite a few accept CC now
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

protagonist wrote:The Munchkin Man might try thrift stores (eg Goodwill, Hospice Shop, etc) and flea markets, where used leather wallets can be had for a song.

The Munchkin Man might not consider buying one until he finds one in good condition with a pocket calendar inside dating from 1959 or before. It will probably cost the Munchkin Man fifty cents.

If purchased at a thrift shop, The Munchkin Man might consider giving them a dollar and telling them to keep the change.

Upon finding said wallet, The Munchkin Man might extrapolate, and assume that said wallet is nearly indestructible, and that if said wallet has lasted 54 years, there is a good chance it will be around for another 54 years, until 2067, at which time the Munchkin Man's heir apparent can either use the wallet himself or sell it in an e-thrift shop as an antique for $250 adjusted for inflation, including the 1959 calendar.
Greetings protagonist:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for the wonderful ideas you have shared with the Munchkin Man.

One thing the Munchkin Man has neglected to do throughout the years has been to shop at thrift stores.

The Munchkin Man has probably missed out on some valuable treasures as a result of failing to do so.

The Munchkin Man probably drives by at least one thrift store each week.

The Munchkin Man always feels like the Munchkin Man is too much in a hurry to stop in one and look around.

The Munchkin Man needs to start slowing down and begin to realize that the Munchkin Man has no need to be in such a hurry anymore.

The Munchkin Man is retired and no longer has to get to work on time.

The Munchkin Man needs to relax and take better advantage of the free time the Munchkin Man has during the Munchkin Man's retirement years.

The Munchkin Man will be driving by a thrift store tomorrow.

The Munchkin Man will make it a point to stop in and look around.

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your great ideas.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I just got one of these recently. Made by Secrid. Like many, I haven't carried a wallet before this one. I thought this was good because it is very sleek and prevents my few cards from getting bent, broken or deactivated and as an added bonus provides RFID protection as all of my credit and debit cards are now RFID compliant. I can also fold up a couple of bills and put them between the cards. You can also get a leather wrap for these that has additional pockets but I value slim! Was more money than I have ever paid for a wallet - lol - but seems pretty robust and I expect to have it for a long time.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

6miths wrote:I just got one of these recently. Made by Secrid. Like many, I haven't carried a wallet before this one. I thought this was good because it is very sleek and prevents my few cards from getting bent, broken or deactivated and as an added bonus provides RFID protection as all of my credit and debit cards are now RFID compliant. I can also fold up a couple of bills and put them between the cards. You can also get a leather wrap for these that has additional pockets but I value slim! Was more money than I have ever paid for a wallet - lol - but seems pretty robust and I expect to have it for a long time.
This is really intriguing. What's the deal with the tab at the bottom, is that used to push the cards out of the top? Does it always stick out like the picture? Does the tab feel flimsy like it might break off with rough handling?

Do all the cards come out staggered as presented in the photo, or do the cards all pop up even? Does anything hold the cards in at the top, or are you relying on friction and a full case to keep all of the cards inside the case?
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Yes the tab pushes the cards out. It is built like something made in Western Europe - it's a tank, feels like it will last a long time. The cards do come out in a staggered fashion which makes it easier to pull the one you like. Also, the first one is out far enough that its RFID is usable without removing it from the wallet so you can wave or tap and go. The sides of the case on the inside have a felt like material that provides friction to the card edges to keep them in place no matter how many cards are inside or how much you throw it around. It will hold 5 credit cards and maybe six cards if some of the cards don't have raised writing on them. I sometimes carry 3 or 4 cards along with a couple of folded up bills between the cards inside it although most often I just carry bills separate in my pocket as I have always done.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

deleted (accidental duplicate post)
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Munchkin Man wrote:Munchkin Man wrote:

Greetings protagonist:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for the wonderful ideas you have shared with the Munchkin Man.

One thing the Munchkin Man has neglected to do throughout the years has been to shop at thrift stores.

The Munchkin Man has probably missed out on some valuable treasures as a result of failing to do so.

The Munchkin Man probably drives by at least one thrift store each week.

The Munchkin Man always feels like the Munchkin Man is too much in a hurry to stop in one and look around.

The Munchkin Man needs to start slowing down and begin to realize that the Munchkin Man has no need to be in such a hurry anymore.

The Munchkin Man is retired and no longer has to get to work on time.

The Munchkin Man needs to relax and take better advantage of the free time the Munchkin Man has during the Munchkin Man's retirement years.

The Munchkin Man will be driving by a thrift store tomorrow.

The Munchkin Man will make it a point to stop in and look around.

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you once again for your great ideas.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Greetings to you, Munchkin Man.

It may take the Munchkin Man years of seeking and of re-programming the Munchkin Man's DNA to realize that the Munchkin Man has no need to be in a hurry anymore.

It may also take the Munchkin Man years of seeking to find The Munchkin Man's Perfect Wallet in a thrift store.

Perhaps The Munchkin Man can make these two goals the focus of a new Munchkin Man Quest in his retirement.

One other thought....a Quest might make The Munchkin Man's autobiography,which I assume will be written in third person, more interesting.

In the interim, if The Munchkin Man needs a new wallet tomorrow if not sooner, perhaps The Munchkin Man should buy the first wallet he sees, without letting this newfound security distract The Munchkin Man from the two goals of The Munchkin Man Quest.

Or if The Munchkin Man can make his current wallet last another couple of months, and if The Munchkin Man is anywhere near Northampton, Massachusetts after May 5, 2013, perhaps I could give a wallet to The Munchkin Man to hold him over while he pursues The Munchkin Man Quest.

Maybe The Munchkin Man will feel grateful and buy me a beer.

Best Wishes to The Munchkin Man,

protagonist.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Paper clip for cash
Elastic band for cards

The short lived, low cost solution, I have always hated the weight of anything in my pockets.

"Is that a wallet in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

When I am headed out of the country, I use a really nerdy hip wallet, my son refuses to be seen with me on those occasions.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Munchkin Man wrote:Do any of you like the same type of wallet the Munchkin Man likes?
Hello Munchkin Man,

You made me look and guess what? I have a Buxton wallet myself. It folds in half and is brown (it says "oily buffalo" on the inside). I received it as a gift maybe 10-15 years ago and it still serves it's purpose. Good Luck.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I carry an inherited georg jensen money clip in my front left pants pocket. In my right pants pocket I carry a S&W chiefs special 38.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I've been using a Dopp Regatta 88 for years.

ID on one side, cards on the other, cash in the middle (I don't use cash though).

I should find one without the middle cash holder - just the two sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Dopp-Regatta-Seri ... B00080M1OU
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Spades

Post by Spades »

Fossil has a half fold black leather wallet with many pockets and a divider in the back. It is what I have now.

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/men/wa ... =ML3211001

:sharebeer
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

I use a simple metal money clip like the one below:

My wife had it engraved and gave it to me as a present a long time ago. It fits up to 5 cards on one side, and bills on the other. It fits perfectly in my front pocket. I now see that there is also a titanium version to save weight.

http://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-On-TV-Sto ... pd_sbs_a_1

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Magnum wrote:Easy... pick out a wallet from http://www.bigskinny.net. It sounds to me you would like http://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html.

For years I had a thick, heavy leather wallet that was about as thick as two decks of cards. I made the switch to Big Skinny and now can barely tell I have a wallet in my pocket. Granted, it helped that I stopped carrying a few cards. However, my Big Skinny full is more slim than my empty leather wallet! If still want a leather wallet, you can get the best of both worlds: leather outside, and skinny inside.
Thank you for this. Even though the Munchkin Man went with another option, I've become enamored with the Mini Skinny.

Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
rixer

Post by rixer »

Tazdog wrote:
rixer wrote:I prefer a slim wallet that I can carry just a few cards in. I don't need a file cabinet. It also has to be compact enough to carry in my front pocket.
Here you go....I got one a few weeks ago, awesome!

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classi ... ategory=87
Thanks Tazdog! I'm ordering one tonight. That's exactly what the rixer wants.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

I lost a bet and had to purchase a Jules Pitt (from pulp fiction) wallet and carry it around for a month.

It said "Bad Mother******"

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3308728700 ... s&var=sbar

This is one of the reasons that I now only bet pizza! ;)
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
linenfort

Re: What Type Of Wallet?

Post by linenfort »

I've been using a Manhattan Portage coin wallet for a long time now. I originally bought it for all the $1 presidential coins I was carrying around, but now it holds paper cash, folded once.
For cards, I have a very slim faux leather card holder that was about $3 at Office Max many years ago.

I used to carry a Jimi which I like very much, but it just wasn't practical. And it broke.
Some of the wallets posted in this thread look like imitations of the Jimi.
Sam314159

Post by Sam314159 »

JimInIllinois wrote:Second http://www.all-ett.com/original-wallet/

I've had the original nylon for years. I actually bought a replacement when it developed some holes in the corners, but the "rip-stop" nylon is true to its name and they haven't gotten any bigger so the replacement is still sitting on the shelf.

It's amazing how efficiently it holds cards. I stack the credit cards face-to-face with one upside down so the embossed numbers don't overlap.

-Jim
Totally agree. I'm a big All-Et fan.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Nummerkins wrote:I've been using a Dopp Regatta 88 for years.

ID on one side, cards on the other, cash in the middle (I don't use cash though).

I should find one without the middle cash holder - just the two sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Dopp-Regatta-Seri ... B00080M1OU
I bought one of these a few months ago when I decided to slim down my wallet and agree it works great. Now I carry drivers license, 2 credit cards, 2 ATM cards, and 1 health insurance card in the Dopp Regatta 88 along with $40-80 in twenty dollar bills. More than anything else wads of cash were making my wallet bulky. Now I keep $1s and $5s in the car to pay for parking or use for tips. I leave all my other credit cards at home and leave cards like Costco inside the console of my car.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Greg17

Post by Greg17 »

Has anyone else had to deal with Big Skinny customer service?

It has been quite a fiasco. I saw the wallet after a few people recommended them on here.It took two weeks to get here. Upon arriving I notice the stitching is messed up. I call CS, who tells me to email the pictures. I got an email back saying they will contact upper management about this issue. The CS people apparently have no way of replacing an item that cost less that $30(with shipping), that is defective. Definately think twice before ordering for anyone else considering it.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Greg17 wrote:Has anyone else had to deal with Big Skinny customer service?

It has been quite a fiasco. I saw the wallet after a few people recommended them on here.It took two weeks to get here. Upon arriving I notice the stitching is messed up. I call CS, who tells me to email the pictures. I got an email back saying they will contact upper management about this issue. The CS people apparently have no way of replacing an item that cost less that $30(with shipping), that is defective. Definately think twice before ordering for anyone else considering it.
Did you pay for it with a credit card? If so, don't let them drag it out very long. Dispute the charge as soon as you feel like they are uncooperative.

Brian