[recommend a leather toiletry bag?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SwampDonkey

[recommend a leather toiletry bag?]

Post by SwampDonkey »

The "what kind of wallet" thread got me thinking - what are some of your positive experiences with toiletry bags?

My wife purchased me a personalized (my initials) leather toiletry bag from Pottery Barn recently. The leather was okay but the engraving was horrible. After five rounds of emails with the customer service, they agreed to refund my wife's money.

Has anyone had any luck with a good quality leather toiletry bag that they were able to have personalized?
cheesepep

Re: What kind of toiletry bag do you travel with?

Post by cheesepep »

A gallon sized plastic bag.
kramer

Post by kramer »

transparent quart sized ziploc bag. I think I usually have 2 of those that contain all toiletries.

For the most part, I pack anything that can move around in my luggage in quart-size ziploc bags.

For me, a formal leather toiletry container just adds weight and bulk and may take up extra space when I don't need that much space for toiletries, the last thing I want when traveling.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

A nylon hanging toiletry bag of the smaller variety typical of what you might find at a store like REI, etc. The small addition of weight and space relative to a plastic bag is insignificant to me relative to its versatility and ability to be hung.
PinZabu

Post by PinZabu »

Previously only used Ziploc bags. The trip that starts today however I am adding a lunch collapsible type bag, with the zip locks inside. The plan is to put the toiletries as well as the travel snacks in that bag. It will also allow us to have a small cooler bag while we travel. It will also allow it to be hung should I want. It is quite honestly a cheap thin , meaning NOT alot of insulation, thing so if the plan doesn't work, out it goes.

Agree with others, the leather bag, too heavy, too much, space. DH travels with one of those rei type nylon hanging bags.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

after years of a std toiletry bag, I just went w a quart size zip-lock bag.... I remember the switch happened when we had to start showing our 3 oz items before going through airport security.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Quart sized store-brand plastic bag if it's going in carry-on luggage, gallon-sized store-brand plastic bag if it's going in checked luggage or I'm traveling by car.\

About 5 years ago, someone gave me a fake leather toiletry bag with a zipper as a gift. It's still sitting in the box in my basement somewhere.
mhc

Post by mhc »

cheapest one on amazon that had a decent rating

I think it is nylon.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
SJG

Post by SJG »

I'm a fanatic about packing light. Rick Steve's travel kit is about 4 oz. and well constructed.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catal ... 150&id=402
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Small is beautiful. Cheap is beautiful. Small + Cheap -- heavenly.

Liquids go in a roughly 10x15cm zip-loc bag. Actually, two bags, nested to minimize leak potential. The liquids themselves are in small nalgene bottles. I'm so cheap I squeeze toothpaste from my regular daily tube into the small travel tubes.

Everything else goes in a zippered canvas bag roughly 10x15x5cm; it is the bag from an amenity kit on an overseas flight. These tend to come in all kinds of weird shapes and sizes -- the one I use for this purpose is very rectangular. The size is just right -- I can squeeze in exactly what I need so there's no wasted space.

I'm willing to splurge on things where there's a return -- my suitcase wasn't cheap, for example. For toiletries what matters most is size, shape, and TSA compliance. My 5-cent solution (or whatever a zip-loc bag costs) does it all.
LeyEily

Post by LeyEily »

Something from Target!
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The style that hangs on the hook in the hotel bathroom - it's a superior design to the simple bag - gets your stuff out of the way yet is convenient
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Zip lock plastic bag that has everything I need already packed in my carry-on with travel size containers.

Add my electric shaver and I'm ready to go in less than 15 minutes of selecting, folding and packing clothes.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Travel Pro folding hanging style.
I don't travel with any liquids or gels so avoid the whole "taking things out of the travel bag/plastic bag" nuisance.
Toothpowder substitutes for toothpaste in case anyone was wondering.
http://www.amazon.com/Toothpowder-Daily ... B0006ON9NA

I do bring an extra pair of soft contacts in my travel kit, but in probably 75 security pass-throughs the scanners have never picked them up.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

I don't stop at just 1 ziplock bag. Maybe 1 bag each for:
1) shaver and toothbrush
2) electronic charging gear
3) the clothing that didn't get quite dry after washing

+ plus a few extras for whatever else might need organizing. :happy

Also those very little zip locks (about 3 inches) are good to keep pills separated. Then all those little bags go into one mid-size bag.
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?fe ... bag-medium

These medium travel bags from Beans are perfect. They hang from the towel holder or on the back of the bathroom door.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Last few trips I have taken I used a couple zip-lock freezer bags,sandwich bags for toothbrush,paste :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: [recommend a leather toiletry bag?]

Post by Alex Frakt »

The original post in this thread was an on-topic personal consumer issue. However the original title posed on off-topic, general comment issue. Since everyone chose to respond to the title rather than the content of the original post, the thread was temporarily locked. After review, I've decided to edit the title and reopen the thread. Let's try to respond to the OP's question please.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Alex Frakt wrote:The original post in this thread was an on-topic personal consumer issue. However the original title posed on off-topic, general comment issue. Since everyone chose to respond to the title rather than the content of the original post, the thread was temporarily locked. After review, I've decided to edit the title and reopen the thread. Let's try to respond to the OP's question please.
Isn't that splitting a hair that doesn't need splitting? Are you saying that asking for a recommendation on what thing to buy is qualitatively different from asking what thing you use? Isn't it clear from the context that asking what thing you use is just another mode of asking for a recommendation?

I'm not saying we need more threads on toiletry bags, but if consumer topics are in-bounds then couldn't we just agree that requests for information on what bogleheads do is equivalent to asking for advice on what the poster should do?

Also, just to be clear, the OP asked two questions. Most people answered one but not the other. That seems totally reasonable, your implied chastisement notwithstanding -- surely we can't require that all responses contain answers to each question posed.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Aptenodytes wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:The original post in this thread was an on-topic personal consumer issue. However the original title posed on off-topic, general comment issue. Since everyone chose to respond to the title rather than the content of the original post, the thread was temporarily locked. After review, I've decided to edit the title and reopen the thread. Let's try to respond to the OP's question please.
Isn't that splitting a hair that doesn't need splitting? Are you saying that asking for a recommendation on what thing to buy is qualitatively different from asking what thing you use? Isn't it clear from the context that asking what thing you use is just another mode of asking for a recommendation?
It may be surprising, but our experience as moderators are that they are definitely not the same thing. A specific question normally keeps threads focused on the practical, while asking for general comments on the same topic often results in threads wandering off into areas that require moderator attention. This site's resources are limited (you have noticed the lack of advertisements, I assume), so we try to tailor the rules to maximize utility for our members while minimizing the burden on our volunteer moderators.

FWIW, we normally wouldn't have bothered with this thread, but there have been so many of these threads lately that we are cracking down for a bit in an attempt to make everyone aware of this policy.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Alex Frakt wrote:
Aptenodytes wrote: Isn't that splitting a hair that doesn't need splitting? Are you saying that asking for a recommendation on what thing to buy is qualitatively different from asking what thing you use? Isn't it clear from the context that asking what thing you use is just another mode of asking for a recommendation?
It may be surprising, but our experience as moderators are that they are definitely not the same thing. A specific question normally keeps threads focused on the practical, while asking for general comments on the same topic often results in threads wandering off into areas that require moderator attention. This site's resources are limited (you have noticed the lack of advertisements, I assume), so we try to tailor the rules to maximize utility for our members while minimizing the burden on our volunteer moderators.
[...]
I happily concede the point. The work the moderators do is really excellent and I gladly defer to their judgment.