traveller nostalgia- [Int'l Herald Tribune] cancelled

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gd

traveller nostalgia- [Int'l Herald Tribune] cancelled

Post by gd »

End of an era, expatriots or international travellers. I was surprised at how closely I agreed with him. My iPad just isn't the same.
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/25/sheddin ... d_tribune/
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: traveller nostalgia- IHT cancelled

Post by nisiprius »

I still miss the domestic Herald Tribune. When I grew up, there were Herald Tribune families, New York Times families, and Journal-American families. We were a Herald Tribute family. We weren't hoighty-toighty enough for the New York Times, and the New York Times didn't carry the funnies and of course we had to have the funnies. The Journal-American was a Hearst paper, need I say more? But as kids we did have some friends in Journal-American families. The Journal-American had more-grown-up adventure-type comic strips--not sure exactly which ones, "Terry and the Pirates" and "Brenda Starr, Reporter" maybe.

I don't think I was allowed to play at the houses of any Daily News families.

When I was a kid the Sunday papers really did contain a rotogravure section, not sure when that was dropped. (Irving Berlin, "Easter Parade," "You'll find that you're/In the rotogravure.") No color printing anywhere in any news sections. First color photographs in news sections came in, perhaps, in the 1970s?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
reggiesimpson

Re: traveller nostalgia- [Int'l Herald Tribune] cancelled

Post by reggiesimpson »

That does it! I will never leave the U.S.A. again.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I wonder if anyone (except me) appreciates the joke.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Levett

Post by Levett »

I sort of do and don't sense a joke.

The International Herald Trib, along with coffee, is how I always begin my mornings overseas.

Lev
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

I have stopped picking it up at hotels -- I can read the NYT online so it just adds to the clutter and waste. I used to value it a lot for the connection home but that last few years it has become an anachronism.

However, I have always picked one up when offered upon boarding a flight -- the crossword puzzle is a nice diversion and there's always that interval beween boarding and reaching cruising altitude where electronic gizmos can't be used. I'll miss that.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

VictoriaF wrote:I wonder if anyone (except me) appreciates the joke.

Victoria
You mean the bit about having the same publisher?

PJW
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:

Victoria

PJW
I meant reversed causation, i.e., stopping international travel because International Herald Tribune is cancelled, rather than reading International Herald Tribune to enhance international travel. I was responding to Reggie but then removed the reference in case he was not joking.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

PJW
I meant reversed causation, i.e., stopping international travel because International Herald Tribune is cancelled, rather than reading International Herald Tribune to enhance international travel. I was responding to Reggie but then removed the reference in case he was not joking.

Victoria
Thank you for the clarification Victoria. Sometimes ones attempt at humor can be lost in brevity on the net.
I will certainly miss the IHT as it was a regular read for me wherever i was in the world back in the 70s. Its one less connection to a romantic time in my life.
reggie
But then again i can always access BH!
Phineas J. Whoopee

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

PJW

Victoria
I've fallen into the trap of assuming you're too subtle. Yes, I got that. I had thought you were onto something like it's just a NYT organ anyway, and all that's happened is its name being changed (so far as the linked article, about how nice it felt to find a bit of understandable home-ness was, as opposed to today when it's always at one's fingertips, goes).

PJW
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

PJW

Victoria
Thank you for the clarification Victoria. Sometimes ones attempt at humor can be lost in brevity on the net.
I will certainly miss the IHT as it was a regular read for me wherever i was in the world back in the 70s. Its one less connection to a romantic time in my life.
reggie
But then again i can always access BH!
But the real question is whether you would still venture outside the U.S. without being able to romance International Herald Tribune.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I've fallen into the trap of assuming you're too subtle.

PJW
I am trying to balance between being subtle and obvious. The last time, I was too subtle.

Victoria
Phineas J. Whoopee

VictoriaF wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I've fallen into the trap of assuming you're too subtle.

PJW
I am trying to balance between being subtle and obvious. The last time, I was too subtle.

Victoria
Obviously.
PJW
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Victoria.
Actually we never stopped, albeit intermittenly with the children. The next stage ,however, is to go to some of the more "extreme" places we traveled to way back when. I promised myself that when i retired i would go back and see how India, China,Thailand etc changed over 30+ years. I was actually looking forward to picking up the IHT and letting some memories flood back in to this addled mind. Its rather bad news actually.
But we are still going!
reggie
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The IHT was like reading the NYT, with all that baggage, and overpriced if you had to buy it. Many read it anyway as it was in familiar English. I usually compile my own more varied electronic new edition, thanks to the internet. Also always enjoy more reading the local papers for the different perspective on international issues.

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
poundwise

Post by poundwise »

From the article: "Where else would you find your Boston Red Sox box scores?" Couldn't agree with this more! I fondly recall my pre-internet study abroad days where the IHT was the only way to follow this peculiarly American pastime.

Incidentally, the paper is not actually cancelled -- it is just being rebranded "International New York Times." The content has been drawn from the domestic NYT for many years now.
Topic Author
gd

Post by gd »

poundwise wrote: Incidentally, the paper is not actually cancelled -- it is just being rebranded "International New York Times." The content has been drawn from the domestic NYT for many years now.
True on both counts, it was sort of a sloppy OP more reminiscing of decades long gone. I only skim the airline freebie nowadays, and grew to prefer a complete absence of news from the homeland while travelling. Curiously, I never seem to miss anything of lasting importance.
Puakinekine

Re: traveller nostalgia- IHT cancelled

Post by Puakinekine »

nisiprius wrote:I still miss the domestic Herald Tribune. When I grew up, there were Herald Tribune families, New York Times families, and Journal-American families. We were a Herald Tribute family. We weren't hoighty-toighty enough for the New York Times, and the New York Times didn't carry the funnies and of course we had to have the funnies. The Journal-American was a Hearst paper, need I say more? But as kids we did have some friends in Journal-American families. The Journal-American had more-grown-up adventure-type comic strips--not sure exactly which ones, "Terry and the Pirates" and "Brenda Starr, Reporter" maybe.

I don't think I was allowed to play at the houses of any Daily News families.

When I was a kid the Sunday papers really did contain a rotogravure section, not sure when that was dropped. (Irving Berlin, "Easter Parade," "You'll find that you're/In the rotogravure.") No color printing anywhere in any news sections. First color photographs in news sections came in, perhaps, in the 1970s?
We were a Herald Tribune/New York Times/New York Daily News family. But never, ever a Hearst paper or the New York Post. We did have some standards.
Langkawi

Post by Langkawi »

Interesting article on this subject in Barron's:
The Last Trace of a Great Newspaper
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB500 ... 81182.html

(Use Google trick to access if necessary)
Macmungo

Post by Macmungo »

It seemed to me that the quality of the International Herald Tribune went down after the NY Times pushed the Washington Post out of joint ownership around 2003. I thought the Trib was better than either of its owners - but it was aimed at a very specific audience.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Macmungo wrote:It seemed to me that the quality of the International Herald Tribune went down after the NY Times pushed the Washington Post out of joint ownership around 2003. I thought the Trib was better than either of its owners - but it was aimed at a very specific audience.
I would agree also, post 2003 it merely was a way for the NYT to try to dominate U.S. news to the expat community overseas similar to the wire services but more direct. The internet is far better for news (thank goodness) as it is much easier to get a balance and not just a selection of selected NYT articles. I also noticed the editorials were even further left in the IHT than in the Times for some reason.
The crossword was good as mentioned, and for that reason nice to have around once in awhile during my years overseas - but only if free.
Truth and clarity are important in all things...