a john c. bogle book for a lad

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
fidelio

a john c. bogle book for a lad

Post by fidelio »

my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad, and he has shown some interest in money and investments recently. he has a b.f.a. but little or no background in economics or markets. he actually sat through a lengthy exposition of the index funds in which i have my roth ira invested. i am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of mr. bogle's books for me to give him -- he seems to have written about 40! what we need here is something pretty introductory, on investing. i'm trying to steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker, and put him on a path of eventually being able to confidently direct his own investment life .... thanks!!
og15F1

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Post by og15F1 »

I can't believe there are no answers to this

Without a doubt I'd recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Commo ... 0470102101

It's short and simple, but powerful

Purchase it through the Amazon.com link on this page
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

The book I have recommended and continue to recommend is the Coffeehouse Investor, a very straightforward and easy read. Although not written by Bogle it's by Bill Schultheis -- very much a Boglehead and member here. It's been recently updated.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

og15F1 wrote:I can't believe there are no answers to this

Without a doubt I'd recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Commo ... 0470102101

It's short and simple, but powerful

Purchase it through the Amazon.com link on this page
Agreed. A great book for investors just starting out and for experienced investors needing a reminder of the basics. :thumbsup
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
buzzlight

Post by buzzlight »

Great book, got it from local library and finished it. Now I plan to buy it and keep it For life.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Bogle's "little" book is great. You might also consider William Bernstein's "4 Pillars of Investing" http://www.efficientfrontier.com/t4poi/t4poi.htm, which is also good and is specifically aimed at people like your son.
Regards, | | Guy
leo383

Post by leo383 »

I suggest Random Walk by Malkiel, Coffeehouse by Schulteis, and the investment books by Andrew Tobias.

Bogle's books, imo, are a little heavy for beginners. Don't want to frighten him off. :happy
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Fidelio:
I am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of Mr. Bogle's books for me to give him.
I own all of Mr. Bogle's books. Based on the information you provided, Mr. Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing should be ideal and will "steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker." This is Mr. Bogle's shortest book but it is chock-full of common sense advice like this:

Excerpts from The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

thanks all. you'll be happy to know i gave the lad the little red book of common sense investing, which he stated he would read. now all he needs is something to invest .....
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

fidelio wrote:thanks all. you'll be happy to know i gave the lad the little red book of common sense investing, which he stated he would read. now all he needs is something to invest .....
The book will immediately introduce him to Warren Buffett ("investing is simple but not easy") and since Buffett is always worth a read, maybe you could have a Buffett book ready to recommend to him after "Common Sense." Just a suggestion.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

fidelio wrote:my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad,
Not to pick on you but I found your choice of words amusing. The implication being that musicians by nature are not very bright.
Topic Author
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

well, i have the right, having served in the bar bands in the 70s.

perhaps you haven't heard some of the classic musician tales:

"what is a bass player w/o a girlfriend?"
homeless

"how do you know if the stage is level?"
drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth equally.

etc.
c00kie

Post by c00kie »

SurfCityBill wrote:
Not to pick on you but I found your choice of words amusing. The implication being that musicians by nature are not very bright.
Yes, I got quite a chuckle on that one also.

Cookie
Cookie
mgcfo

Post by mgcfo »

In addition to the above, Millionaire Teacher is a great read.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Fidelio:
I am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of Mr. Bogle's books for me to give him.
I own all of Mr. Bogle's books. Based on the information you provided, Mr. Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing should be ideal and will "steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker." This is Mr. Bogle's shortest book but it is chock-full of common sense advice like this:

Excerpts from The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Best wishes.
Taylor
I too have all of Mr. Bogle's books. This would be my recommendation as well. This book is one of my favorite.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

c00kie wrote:
SurfCityBill wrote:
Yes, I got quite a chuckle on that one also.

Cookie
well, in reality, he's classically trained, so not at all a numskull like his dad ....