Changing User Name

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
gkaplan

Changing User Name

Post by gkaplan »

How does a forum member change a user name? It doesn't appear that one can do this through the user profile in the user control panel, although one can change one's password there.

Thanks.
Gordon
HueyLD

Re: Changing User Name

Post by HueyLD »

PM a moderator.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0438241/
Langkawi

Post by Langkawi »

Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter")
The sad thing is that in real life, Gabe Kaplan is more attractive than Nicola Benedetti.
Topic Author
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Langkawi wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter")
The sad thing is that in real life, Gabe Kaplan is more attractive than Nicola Benedetti.
There's no accounting for taste.
Gordon
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Langkawi wrote:
Who's Nicola Benedetti?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Jerilynn wrote:
Langkawi wrote:
Who's Nicola Benedetti?
Google knows all. But I will give you a hint. She is really gkaplan; just look at his picture and you should see that.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Jerilynn wrote:Who's Nicola Benedetti?
Beats me, but I would recognize gkaplan anywhere.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
chw

Post by chw »

Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

I think of the Red Sox player...
chw

Post by chw »

bill1958 wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:Despite your avatar/icon picture, every time I see your username, I think of Gabe Kaplan ("Welcome Back Kotter"):

I think of the Red Sox player...
Scratch that- Thinking of Gabe Kapler...
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Gordon...
I'm curious. Do you want to modify your user name (so that we still know that it's you), or do you want to change it altogether (and simply start over as a new person, so to speak)? If that latter, why? With almost 4000 posts under your belt, you are pretty well established around here. And, as the other respondents will attest to, so is your avatar.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cinghiale wrote:Gordon...
I'm curious. Do you want to modify your user name (so that we still know that it's you), or do you want to change it altogether (and simply start over as a new person, so to speak)? If that latter, why? With almost 4000 posts under your belt, you are pretty well established around here. And, as the other respondents will attest to, so is your avatar.
I am not Gordon, but occasionally I am playing with an idea of getting a new Boglehead persona, a male persona. But as you say, it's difficult to give up the 7,000-post legacy.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Victoria,
Yes, but... wouldn't it be easier to open a separate account attached to a separate e-mail with a new, dictinct user name? (Uh, oh... am I suggesting something that is strictly verboten here?) That way, you could indulge your alternative persona, and still maintain your solidly-established place on the forum.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cinghiale wrote:Victoria,
Yes, but... wouldn't it be easier to open a separate account attached to a separate e-mail with a new, dictinct user name? (Uh, oh... am I suggesting something that is strictly verboten here?) That way, you could indulge your alternative persona, and still maintain your solidly-established place on the forum.
Yes, that's what I meant. Different screen name, different email address, playing Victor and Victoria simultaneously, and keeping fingers crossed that Alex and LadyGeek won't notice :wink:.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Gordon,

On the other hand, if you don't want to be Gordon anymore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trl499RByEo
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Ah, that's a violin she is holding:

http://imgartists.com/artist/nicola_benedetti

I never heard of her and did not recognize the picture. So no opinion positive or negative from me.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Langkawi wrote:
:shock: :thumbsdown You can't be serious? If you are I suggest you get to an optometrist immediately!

I never knew who that avatar is so I assumed the guy's daughter. So i Googled the name. What a knock out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nicola+ ... 02&bih=733
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

zaplunken wrote:
Langkawi wrote:
:shock: :thumbsdown You can't be serious? If you are I suggest you get to an optometrist immediately!

I never knew who that avatar is so I assumed the guy's daughter. So i Googled the name. What a knock out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nicola+ ... 02&bih=733
And all this time I thought it was Kim Cattrall. [when she was younger]
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

gkaplan wrote:How does a forum member change a user name? It doesn't appear that one can do this through the user profile in the user control panel, although one can change one's password there.

Thanks.
PM a moderator or site admin (like me). The important point is that all of the posts will change to reflect the new name.

You can change your signature or avatar in the User Control Panel at any time.

We seemed to have strayed from the original question... this topic is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.