Worth fixing a 30-year-old Maytag dryer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Liam

Worth fixing a 30-year-old Maytag dryer?

Post by Liam »

We have a Maytag DE410 electric dryer and a Maytag A710 washer, both purchased new in 1983.

They have served well over the years, but now the dryer is making rattle noises. I checked the drive motor/belt pulley/tensioner module via the access hatch, but the noises seem to be coming from the drum rollers and/or the drum bearing. The dryer still works, but it sounds like a handful of ball bearings are mixed in with the clothes -- plus, the sound is not always there, it's periodic.

The real question here is: are either of these worth fixing? Thirty years and a family of four equals a lot of service.

Thanks for your thoughts?
mbres60

Re: Worth fixing a 30-year-old Maytag dryer?

Post by mbres60 »

I read this to my dh and his first response was "Seriously, can you still get the parts?" My first response was "no". Get a new dryer. You could spend the money to repair and then it breaks down again. Also, newer dryers may also use less energy.
sport

Post by sport »

Last edited by sport on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigOil

Post by BigOil »

jsl11 wrote:My reaction is that if you can get the parts and fix it yourself, it is probably worthwhile because it will not cost too much. However, if you need to hire a service person, it probably would not pay to do so.
Jeff
+1
prudent

Post by prudent »

Heck, by my definition it's not even broken! Just noisy. :)
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I would get a new dryer. This one doesn't owe you anything.

I had a Maytag washer I bought in 1981 that lasted until 4 or 5 years ago, they don't make them like that anymore.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Wow fast forward 30 years , I would say that you have MORE than gotten your monies worth out of that dryer,technology has Vastly improved , I would buy another one and plan on it lasting another 30 years( 2 dryers 60 years ,not bad :D )
Not affiliated with link below

http://www.lowes.com/Appliances/Washers ... 7C0&page=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Rubiosa

Post by Rubiosa »

Our washer and dryer are in their 39th year and going strong. Call a maintenance man.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I would plan on a 5-7 year life if you replace it with a new one. Not so long ago when appliances needed to be repaired, you could get them repaired. Now after a few years, they simply tell you they can't get parts any more.

The days of appliances lasting 20-30 years are gone.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Yes! My Maytags lasted 39 years. New ones around 5 years with luck.
mrspremise

Post by mrspremise »

The life span isn't as long on the new ones, but they actually do a better job of washing and drying clothes, for the most part. You might even consider if you want to upgrade your washer too, as the front loading washers are more energy/water efficient and get your clothes dryer such that they don't need as much drying (which is more energy efficient and easier on your clothes). You can't throw in a sock at the last minute, but you get used to it.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

If you go to a front loading washing machine then there is a big saving in water (about w2/3rds I believe) and in energy (about -60%).

If you go to a 'heat pump' dryer then the saving is around -60% on electricity consumption.

However if you simply replace like for like then I believe that your savings will be relatively small (I don't know, I have not looked this up) perhaps 20-30%.

If you can keep that dryer going I would. The newer ones will probably not have the same reliability.

On the washing machine, when it goes I would replace with an Energy Star front loading model. (ditto on the dryer when it finally goes).

But I wouldn't hurry the process-- there is an environmental cost to replacing something old with something new.

Couple of questions:

- can anyone actually fix this for you, now?
- fire risk of a malfunctioning dryer-- to be honest this would worry me the most
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

If you do buy a new dryer, keep your existing clothes washer. The federal government issued new efficiency standards for washers less than a year ago (http://aceee.org/press/2012/05/new-clot ... hwasher-st). Remember when they issued new standards for toilets, and it took several years for the manufacturers to figure out how to make compliant toilets that actually worked? I suspect that the washers on the market right now are experimental at best, so this might be a bad year to buy a washer.

From what I can tell, dryer standards haven't changed recently, so the ones on the market right now probably work as well as they're ever going to. Just resist the sales pitch to replace them both at the same time.
Jordana

Post by Jordana »

You can't get a Maytag like that anymore. They do not make them; I don't know about the parts. I just bought a SpeedQueen which is said to be like the old Maytag and the salesman said it would last 20 years. Thirty years seems like the most you will likely get. The SpeedQueen is like our old Maytag (which we left when we sold our house). My recommendation is to buy a SpeedQuee. You will fix an old machine and then have to buy a new one anyway in X months or years.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I say fix it if you can locate a serviceman and parts. You'll be fortunate to get 5 years out of a new one.

As for "new technology" -- excuse me? Clothes are dry when they are dry. Nothing new about that! The toilet analogy was apt: use less water, but requires several "go's" for it to "go"!
Last edited by obgraham on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Even if you don't do anything else, be sure to replace the hoses to the washing machine if you have not replaced them in the last ten years or so. These get brittle and if they break while you are not home then they can cause major water damage.

Once concern I would have is that the wiring may be getting brittle so if you do work on it be sure to inspect the wiring too.

I used to always buy Maytag appliances but after having some major problems with three different newer Maytag appliances (Stove, dishwasher, and washing machine) I did some research and Maytag has gone through a soap opera of mergers and moving production out of the country and their quality has gone way down. After the problem I have had with them I doubt I will ever buy another Maytag appliance again.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I'd fix them if I could.

Owned a Maytag pair (avocado green washer and half-depth stacking 110v dryer) in the early '70s. Lost them when I sold the house in '81. Hated to see them go. Was already hearing reports that the new stuff wasn't as well built.

Just for grins, do a google search for "appliance repair manual". If you find the information you need to diagnose/fix it and the parts are still available, then why not try it?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
sport

Post by sport »

Watty wrote:Even if you don't do anything else, be sure to replace the hoses to the washing machine if you have not replaced them in the last ten years or so. These get brittle and if they break while you are not home then they can cause major water damage.
This is a good recommendation for everyone. Even better, when you replace them, use stainless steel armored hoses. They should only cost $20 to $25 for a pair. It's cheap insurance.
Jeff
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

obgraham wrote:
As for "new technology" -- excuse me? Clothes are dry when they are dry. Nothing new about that! The toilet analogy was apt: use less water, but requires several "go's" for it to "go"!
I don't believe that is entirely correct.

I don't have the time to pull up the references but there are some neat charts on appliances on the likes of the Siemens website, and also US National Research Labs have done the homework. See also Energy Information Administration. The dramatic move is in fridges (down 60-75% in 30 years on total pa consumption of electricity) but wet appliances have also made significant improvements.

DC motors are a lot better than they were-- that saves juice-- variable speed controllers etc.

Spins are a lot faster at least in washing machines (not sure dryers) -- that saves a lot on the heating element.

The modern ones have moisture and weight sensors so they adjust to how big the load is and how wet-- don't overdry. That's a big saving.

There's the whole point about condenser dryers (marginally less efficient) v vented ones. So technology change there, too, if not improvements in drying efficiency per se.

And then we get to 'heat pump' dryer technology: Siemens, Bosch, Miele all do them now. (Siemens and Bosch are the same company). The energy use drops are dramatic (c. -60% vs. a modern 'conventional' dryer). At my electricity price (USD 22 cents) that gives me a sub 5 year payback. If you have time of day pricing (we will) then the payback could be much quicker than that.

I'll stick with my original advice which is OP should not replace if at all feasible. Because there is an environmental cost in building a new machine. And all things being equal they are more complex and therefore likely to be less reliable.

Exceptions would be in water short areas (go for a front loading washing machine) and fridges/ freezers, where if it is pre 1992 the savings are extraordinary. Even at US electricity rates (c. 10.5 cents/ kwhr but over 30 in California) this can save $10-20 pcm. Also for a fridge you ensure safe disposal of the CFC Freon, one of the worst environmental catastrophes of the 20th Century-- you don't want that to leak out into the atmosphere. There are incentives from the utility if you are in a water short area (my parents received one in Ontario).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

dratkinson wrote:I'd fix them if I could.

Owned a Maytag pair (avocado green washer and half-depth stacking 110v dryer) in the early '70s. Lost them when I sold the house in '81. Hated to see them go. Was already hearing reports that the new stuff wasn't as well built.

Just for grins, do a google search for "appliance repair manual". If you find the information you need to diagnose/fix it and the parts are still available, then why not try it?
Often when old ones are being scrapped, they pull out the parts to use as spares.

Long after spares are 'unavailable' from the OEM, repairmen can get them. Check repair forums and even ebay. Good repairmen are like pack rats-- they keep *everything*.

London Underground (subway) gets its signal controller chips off eBay-- the parts are no longer made, so they pull apart old computers to get them, a mildly troubling thought for a system that carries over 1 billion people a year! ;-).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Watty wrote:Even if you don't do anything else, be sure to replace the hoses to the washing machine if you have not replaced them in the last ten years or so. These get brittle and if they break while you are not home then they can cause major water damage.

Once concern I would have is that the wiring may be getting brittle so if you do work on it be sure to inspect the wiring too.

I used to always buy Maytag appliances but after having some major problems with three different newer Maytag appliances (Stove, dishwasher, and washing machine) I did some research and Maytag has gone through a soap opera of mergers and moving production out of the country and their quality has gone way down. After the problem I have had with them I doubt I will ever buy another Maytag appliance again.
Almost a case study in how to screw up a great brand-- offshoring etc. Solution to corporate problems by merger and restructuring, just causing more problems and damaging the brand, maybe fatally.

GE is actually moving some appliance manufacture back onshore.

There's a wonderful piece in Steven Covey (7 Habits) about marriage. He can't understand why his wife will not buy anything other than a GE machine. Then finally he finds out that when his father in law was down on his luck, in the 1930s, GE store lent him the money to buy their first appliances, and his daughter remembers that. Teaches Covey a lesson about loyalty and why people make decisions.

Big technology shifts coming: European machines tend to be more sophisticated than American (on average, or so I believe), and the Koreans are no slouchers. As water and energy efficiency moving up to the fore-- parts of the USA are absolutely water short, have rising population and so the top loader will disappear. I saw some incredible statistic that Las Vegas now uses less water than Las Vegas in 2000, despite a +40% rise in population?

My washing machine (front loader) uses 56 litres (about 13.5 US gallons) a wash-- it's a big chunk of our water use, done 5 times a week.
glenn_1

Post by glenn_1 »

Unless the motor is making the noise, if you are reasonably handy I'd take a shot at fixing it. Do a search on YouTube for "Maytag dryer roller replacement". Parts are widely available on the internet and it's a pretty easy repair. At this age, I'd suggest a new belt and the two plastic/cork guides that support the front of the drum (when they wear out it squeaks like crazy) while you are in there. Ours runs nice and quiet now.
nomadgecko

Post by nomadgecko »

It would be interesting to see this as a yes/no poll.

My vote is:

1) Google the model number and see if there are parts available. I've recently repaired our old GE dryer (the owners manual looks like something you'd see on Mad Men). All it needed was a new belt, and it was available on Amazon (not some obscure place).

2) If you can find parts, fix it yourself.

They don't build them like they used to.
SamB

Post by SamB »

I have a 25-year old Maytag dryer. It started making noises and it was not due to worn out bearings, but worn out dryer wheel. Eventually they come loose and make noise, which can be intermittent.
Here is an example, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... mber=DE410

It is an easy fix. However, if whatever your problem is costs more than $50 I would buy a new dryer.

I replaced the blower wheel two years ago, and have had no problems. The next breakdown would probably mean a new dryer.
TimDex

Post by TimDex »

I have new washer and dryer.

Worthless. I should have kept my old maytag.

My advice -- if they can be fixed do it. Newer washers in particular do not wash clothes like old ones. Do not listen to any nonsense about how new appliances are friendlier to the environment.

tim
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

While I'm generally a Mr. Fixit, in this case I'd probably get a new one, as a functional replacement for what I have is about $500 at Sears today.

Reason 1: Low remaining useful life on dryer means that spending significant $$$ on fixing it is likely wasteful. That said, if you're talking about 20 minutes of your time and a $10 bearing, go for it.

Reason 2: Newer dryers (newer than 1983 I suspect) have moisture sensors and a post-drying cool down. Three benefits: lower energy costs (you don't spend money heating clothes that are already dry), not as hard on clothes, folding is easier with the cool down.

S
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

My in-laws replaced a 49 year old Maytag dryer(I believe it was a DE-510) last year. The heat was cutting out too soon before the clothes were dry. I'm sure it could have been fixed as from what I read the copper moisture sensors probably just needed cleaning after many years of fabric softener. Those units were amazing. As other posters noted, a number of replacement parts are still available for these units.

I've still running their old 1955 Westinghouse chest freezer. I tried to convince myself to replace it, but after checking the power usage with a kill-a-watt meter I decided it would be a decade or worse to break even. We even are using a Westinghouse Roaster Oven my folks got as a wedding gift in 1946, although only occasionally. They certainly used to make appliances that could last.
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

Absolutely worth fixing. You can find pictures online showing how to disassemble this dryer. You can get the parts and do it yourself.

I bought mine online on eBay, However in looking today for some other parts, I see that Repair Clinic is now supposed to have a 365 day return policy. Period. If that's true, that might make the extra cost worthwhile. You have to weigh your own skills and needs but I suspect this dryer is much much easier to work on than more modern electronically controlled equipment.
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

(And I know this is an old thread. I made the post for the benefit of other DE410 (or similar) Maytag dryer users currently wrestling with the same question.)
wander

Post by wander »

I would replace it. My home is not a museum. :D
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

BigOil wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm
jsl11 wrote:My reaction is that if you can get the parts and fix it yourself, it is probably worthwhile because it will not cost too much. However, if you need to hire a service person, it probably would not pay to do so.
Jeff
+1
+2. My 20 year old Kenmore(Whirlpool) washer just gave up.. turned out to be a $20 motor coupling and clutch, took all of 30 minutes to disassemble and fix myselfwith a screwdriver and two wrenches.

People hunt for these old machines in junkyards because the are so durable and easily repairable. Modern units may be more efficient but most are basically throwaway if they ever break.

And if it’s an electric dryer there really isn’t anything to be gained efficiency wise in a new one.

EDIT: I got tricked, didn’t see this was a necropost.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

new stuff falls apart, fix your old stuff.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

I'd do it. We have a Maytag washer and dryer set of the same vintage and just replaced the fill/solenoid valve that cost $15.00. Our extra hard water finally got to it. Easy fix - the first repair too.

Dryers are pretty simple machines if you look inside them - they're a large metal box with a large tub and a belt (yup,this is an oversimplification but not by much). If you're a handy sort of person the repair might be easily do-able, the cost of the part small. Recruit a pal or your significant other to lend a hand or two.

Having an understanding of how the machine operates and what the parts do is critical.
ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike »

Dryers are very simple devices and if noise is the only problem I'd go ahead with trying to fix it myself. I replaced the bearings and belts on our old Maytag in about two hours and it's working fine; I'd fix it again if it started making noise but otherwise was functional.

I would be leery of fixing a washer due to the potential cost of failure (leaking water).
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

Liam wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm
but the noises seem to be coming from the drum rollers and/or the drum bearing.
About 10 years ago our '30 year old' dryer developed the same noises. The plates that support the two pins that carry the rollers had deteriorated. If you are handy and have some material to replace those supports you can save the machine. It's not that difficult but you will have to dismantle the machine just to get to the problem.

So far mine has lasted longer than I would have thought possible.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I recently replaced my old Whirlpool washer (~15 years old) and dryer (~12 years) and have been very happy with my new Maytags. The washer is much quieter and doesn't use as much water and my clothes also dry faster (part of that is because the spin cycle in the new washers are much better).
Watty

Post by Watty »

Liam wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm We have a Maytag DE410 electric dryer and a Maytag A710 washer, both purchased new in 1983.
When is the last time you replaced the washing machine hoses?

Having the hose connection to a washing machine fail is a common cause of significant water damage. Even in an unfinished basement if it fails while you are away there can still be significant water damage since any water drains will likely be clogged by floating debris.

Out of curiosity I just looked it up and it is not uncommon for people to recommend that they be replaced every 3 to 5 years which surprised me since I thought it was more like ten years.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bob-vi ... ine-hoses/
FGal

Post by FGal »

I'd fix it.

My plumber that was working on my laundry room at one point told me to fix it as long as possible as they literally do not make things that work as well or last as long any more. Everything you buy now is expected to breakdown in a few years, and cost 10 times the cost of what you would pay to have the old one repaired.

I have a washing machine from the mid 1980s and when it died, I started pricing new ones. But every single one had more buttons and cycles than I could possible want, computerized control panels for even more things to go wrong, and all of the reviews stated that they lasted around 5 years before needing to be replaced. One I looked at had a tiny top washer compartment for when you just want to wash one thing... why? What the heck is the point of adding 10 new things that don't work super well and are more things to go wrong, when I just wanted something to do one thing really, really well?

I got the thing fixed by a highly recommended appliance store that fixes and also sells repaired older stuff. It was one of the motors that turn the washer drum so not something that was leaking or anything. Cost me a total of $150 and was told that if this unit didn't keep chugging along for at least another 10 years, they'd be shocked. An old school dryer likely is even more simple than the washing machine, so I'd look into fixing it rather than replace unless you really are dying to get a fancy new one.
FIREd as of March 2015!
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I use solar energy to dry my my clothes, never beed repair. Smell good and wrinkle free.
sport

Post by sport »

Watty wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 pm
Liam wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm We have a Maytag DE410 electric dryer and a Maytag A710 washer, both purchased new in 1983.

Having the hose connection to a washing machine fail is a common cause of significant water damage. Even in an unfinished basement if it fails while you are away there can still be significant water damage since any water drains will likely be clogged by floating debris.

Out of curiosity I just looked it up and it is not uncommon for people to recommend that they be replaced every 3 to 5 years which surprised me since I thought it was more like ten years.

You can also get stainless steel armored hoses. They will last much longer.
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

jharkin wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 am EDIT: I got tricked, didn’t see this was a necropost.
:D Not intentional, but as you can see from posts below yours, it is still a relevant issue to many, for or against.
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

We bought a used Maytag washer and a used Maytag drier (not a matched pair) in 1997. I just looked at a note I have taped on the basement wall. I replaced the washer hoses in 2008--the note says I got them at Home Depot--they are black rubber but I think they have some kind of interior reinforcement. The ones I replaced are still hanging on a nail in a stud in the basement. I could do a replacement of the 2008 installation by putting them back on. :D
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

wander wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 am I would replace it. My home is not a museum. :D
Our "made in 1983" Maytag dryer is used multiple times every week. The only "problem" with it is that it will not really hold bed comforters over twin size.
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

wander wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 am I would replace it. My home is not a museum. :D
Our "made in 1983" Maytag dryer is used multiple times every week. The only "problem" with it is that it will not really hold bed comforters over twin size. I have trouble with the concept of spending $1K on new laundry equipment to fit bed comforters.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Watty wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:00 pm Even if you don't do anything else, be sure to replace the hoses to the washing machine if you have not replaced them in the last ten years or so. These get brittle and if they break while you are not home then they can cause major water damage.
Great advice! This happened to a friend.......major mess and the house was nearly a train wreck.

Better yet, get the stainless steel braided replacement hoses; a bit more expensive but the reliability factor is much better.
sport

Post by sport »

KnottyPine wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:36 pm

We bought a used Maytag washer and a used Maytag drier (not a matched pair) in 1997. I just looked at a note I have taped on the basement wall. I replaced the washer hoses in 2008--the note says I got them at Home Depot--they are black rubber but I think they have some kind of interior reinforcement. The ones I replaced are still hanging on a nail in a stud in the basement. I could do a replacement of the 2008 installation by putting them back on. :D
I strongly suggest that using the 1997 hoses would be a bad idea. The rubber probably continued to deteriorate, even though they were not in use. If/when you replace the 2008 hoses, get new ones.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

If the dryer is adjustable there is no point in making it fixed at the end of its term
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

FYI, I think the decision has been made since the original post is years old.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

They have served well over the years, but now the dryer is making rattle noises. I checked the drive motor/belt pulley/tensioner module via the access hatch, but the noises seem to be coming from the drum rollers and/or the drum bearing. The dryer still works, but it sounds like a handful of ball bearings are mixed in with the clothes -- plus, the sound is not always there, it's periodic.

The real question here is: are either of these worth fixing? Thirty years and a family of four equals a lot of service.

Thanks for your thoughts?
Yes, I would, if you can still find the parts. They don't make them like that anymore :)
KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine »

sport wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 pm I strongly suggest that using the 1997 hoses would be a bad idea. The rubber probably continued to deteriorate, even though they were not in use. If/when you replace the 2008 hoses, get new ones.
Just pulling your chain. No intention of doing that. Not extra money I'm wanting to spend, but I suppose I should be looking into replacing them again.