Has anyone eliminated cable and Internet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Has anyone eliminated cable and Internet?

Post by snyder66 »

Our modem just died. And, It made me wonder. Woukd it be possible to get a data plan for an IPad, or similar tablet and still save money by doing so? Currently have the most basic cable:$14 a month. I believe our Internet is over $60. The only issue we would have is home wifi, for the kids devices.
clearwater

Re: Has anyone eliminated cable and Internet?

Post by clearwater »

Check out StraightTalk for low cost GSM service. You can get a package with data services for about $45/month. It's sold through WalMart. You can just buy the plan and get a SIM via the WalMart web page... no need to go the store. Check what size SIM the iPad uses though... if it's the same nano size they use in the iPhone there may not be a StraightTalk SIM available in that size.

Then you'd need a way to have the iPad or some device with the mobile plan act as a gateway to your other WiFi devices. I don't have an iPad so not sure, but built into Mac OS [much of the same code base used on the iPad] there is a way to share Internet connections, and you might be able to set up the iPad to do that for your other devices.

I'm not sure the $15/month savings is significant enough since StraightTalk has some data caps -- I don't remember what they are but are plenty for a mobile phone... but if you start sending lots of data from multiple devices at home you'd likely exceed the cap and they might cut you off. If so, you could consider higher priced "sharing" plans from AT&T or Verizon, but I suspect at that point it will be cheaper to keep home Internet service at $60.

Pretty much every way you need to move around bits there days is way, way overpriced. Everyone I know is trying to find a way to get these costs down.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Have never had cable--don't watch much TV, except maybe at the dentist office, or at work or the relatives sometimes. Recently did cut internet after buying a WiFi equipped laptop. What I've found is that I don't need to spend near as much time online as it once seemed, which allocates time for more important things. I save a good chunk of money as well.

If you really need internet at home, it might be worth it to share with the neighborhood. There's cheap unlimited plans out there that work fine on group routers. -- Tet
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

snyder66 wrote:Our modem just died. And, It made me wonder. Woukd it be possible to get a data plan for an IPad, or similar tablet and still save money by doing so? Currently have the most basic cable:$14 a month. I believe our Internet is over $60. The only issue we would have is home wifi, for the kids devices.
If internet speed isn't a big concern then $60 is pretty expensive for internet. Maybe switching from cable to DSL and/or lowering your speed would save some money.
Sent from my iphone
StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong »

Never had cable, went about a year with no Internet. Worked fine, but was a PITA when visitors came to town or I needed to book a flight. Had to go to Somewhere with free Internet. Ended up getting a data an on my phone and that's more than enough for me.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Back in the 1950's and before, nobody had cable or internet.
There are some religious orders that probably don't have these things today.
It's easy enough to become a Luddite if you make it a focus of your life...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I always find it wonderfulyl helpful when someone asks for advice on something, usually has money or a price paid attatched to it. And, Inevitably, We have people reply that "They would never pay that much for "X" product or service. I get it!
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Providing a city or zip code would be helpful with these types of post. Clear (http://www.clear.com) would be an option if its available in your area. In my experience the really cheap cable plans are similar to what you can get Over The Air (OTA) with an antenna.
tetractys wrote:If you really need internet at home, it might be worth it to share with the neighborhood. There's cheap unlimited plans out there that work fine on group routers. -- Tet
The contract you sign usually forbids this type of use.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

The cable we pay now is only $14 a month. I can not find an satellite installers anywhere near. We are pretty far from most local signals, hour and a half from Philly. I guess what O was wondering...Could Audi from Verizon replace our current wifi and Internet provider?
mike143

Post by mike143 »

snyder66 wrote:The cable we pay now is only $14 a month. I can not find an satellite installers anywhere near. We are pretty far from most local signals, hour and a half from Philly. I guess what O was wondering...Could Audi from Verizon replace our current wifi and Internet provider?
Satellite would cost you more but you don't have to find an installer, order it direct and they will source a installer.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
market timer

Post by market timer »

I've only had cable or internet in my apartment when I've had a roommate. $60/month is what I was quoted for internet, which seems exorbitant.