Saving Old Refi Packets

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
RenoJay

Saving Old Refi Packets

Post by RenoJay »

I've refinanced four times in the past 2 years. Is there any reason I need to save the huge pile of paperwork from loans I no longer have?
JamesSFO

Re: Saving Old Refi Packets

Post by JamesSFO »

IMHO Make sure you save the release documents for the closed loans. Given the (ongoing) robosigning scandal, the document showing they released your note is useful to keep.
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

JamesSFO wrote:IMHO Make sure you save the release documents for the closed loans. Given the (ongoing) robosigning scandal, the document showing they released your note is useful to keep.
Are those documents not online nowadays anyway?

- Porcupine

PS: I do keep my paperwork (I am a packrat), but am just saying ...
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

porcupine wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:IMHO Make sure you save the release documents for the closed loans. Given the (ongoing) robosigning scandal, the document showing they released your note is useful to keep.

- Porcupine

Mine aren't for any of my refis...
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

JamesSFO wrote:
porcupine wrote:

- Porcupine

Mine aren't for any of my refis...
That is strange. And where online are you looking for them (if you don't mind my asking)? Ours here are located in the local county comptroller's website.

- Porcupine
HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

As far as any of the information relates to anything on your tax returns, it should be retained for seven years, or until the financed property is sold and that tax return year is at least three years old. Tax return items: if you deducted or amortized purchase or refi mortgage points, if you need to establish that mortgage interest was deductible for both regular and AMT, if the statements document items that are included in the cost basis of the property. So, pretty much forever to be safe.