Quicken Deluxe vs Premier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
15202guy

Quicken Deluxe vs Premier

Post by 15202guy »

I currently use Quicken Premier and need to upgrade so I don't lose transaction downloading in April. I do NOT use Quicken to track tax lots, compute capital gains, etc. so I was thinking that I might not need the considerably more expensive Premier version. But I noted that a feature of Premier is "Continuously updates quotes to keep your portfolio value current". What happens if I have Deluxe? Do I need to manually enter prices for my securities if I want to see their proper value? Are there any good reasons to continue with Premier?
Rob5TCP

Re: Quicken Deluxe vs Premier

Post by Rob5TCP »

I recently switched to Quicken Premier from MS Money (a much better product for investment tracking).
When I compared the two, deluxe does not do investment tracking.

http://quicken.intuit.com/compare-quick ... oducts.jsp
plats

Post by plats »

15202guy wrote:I currently use Quicken Premier and need to upgrade so I don't lose transaction downloading in April. I do NOT use Quicken to track tax lots, compute capital gains, etc. so I was thinking that I might not need the considerably more expensive Premier version. But I noted that a feature of Premier is "Continuously updates quotes to keep your portfolio value current". What happens if I have Deluxe? Do I need to manually enter prices for my securities if I want to see their proper value? Are there any good reasons to continue with Premier?
No, you don't need Premium. Deluxe works just fine for investment tracking. By "Continuously..." I think they mean real-time quotes updating your portfolio automatically without having to click "Update." Deluxe will also track tax lots, compute capital gains, etc.
Toons

Post by Toons »

plats wrote:
15202guy wrote:I currently use Quicken Premier and need to upgrade so I don't lose transaction downloading in April. I do NOT use Quicken to track tax lots, compute capital gains, etc. so I was thinking that I might not need the considerably more expensive Premier version. But I noted that a feature of Premier is "Continuously updates quotes to keep your portfolio value current". What happens if I have Deluxe? Do I need to manually enter prices for my securities if I want to see their proper value? Are there any good reasons to continue with Premier?
No, you don't need Premium. Deluxe works just fine for investment tracking. By "Continuously..." I think they mean real-time quotes updating your portfolio automatically without having to click "Update." Deluxe will also track tax lots, compute capital gains, etc.

+1 Exactly, Using deluxe for many years and does an excellent job of investment tracking and prices with
One Step Update. I guess if you are trading real-time would be important
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

Thanks for the input. My decision just became a little harder b/c now the price difference between the 2 versions is only $20 vs $40, so it is a smaller price to pay for the assurance I won't miss any features that aren't included in Deluxe.
af895

Post by af895 »

Rob5TCP wrote:I recently switched to Quicken Premier from MS Money (a much better product for investment tracking).
When I compared the two, deluxe does not do investment tracking.

http://quicken.intuit.com/compare-quick ... oducts.jsp
On the MS Money note, it's available as a free download from Microsoft, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x?id=20738

I've been an MS Money user since version 2004 and I bought Quicken 2012 last year to see if I could make the jump. (there are iOS apps and so forth). I returned Quicken for a refund. The cash flow projections were fundamentally broken in Quicken 2012, which made it useless to me. Have they fixed that? (cash flow wasn't taking into account budget items, only scheduled bills)
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

huh, I've got Quicken Premier, and also wonder if I overpaid.

So, Quicken Deluxe doesn't track cost basis?
Toons

Post by Toons »

Easy Rhino wrote:huh, I've got Quicken Premier, and also wonder if I overpaid.

So, Quicken Deluxe doesn't track cost basis?
Quicken Deluxe DOES track cost basis

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/ ... 83200.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

ah thanks, from that page:

Differences
Both Deluxe and Premier have the same account types, reports, and features to choose from, although the following are only available in the Premier Edition of Quicken.

Reports

Investing: Investing Activity
Tax: Schedule A-Itemized Deductions
Tax: Schedule B-Interest and Dividends
Tax: Schedule D-Capital Gains and Losses

Other Features

Investing: Performance view (Portfolio Value vs Cost Basis snapshot, Growth of 10K snapshot, Average Annual Return snapshot). Buy/Sell Preview. Automatically update quotes every 15 minutes. Mutual Fund Ratings from Morningstar snapshot on Allocation view.

... so i guess I overpaid, a little.