Dividend Yield from Total Int'l Stock Market Index Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Calm Man

Dividend Yield from Total Int'l Stock Market Index Fund

Post by Calm Man »

A quick question, really a reality check. For some reason, maybe currency fluctuations or something, Vanguard doesn't list SEC yields on the website for funds like TISM or Total World. I was able to find somewhere that for 2012, the dividend yield (not total return) for TISM Admiral was 3.11%. This compares to TSM of 2.13%. For people who have held both funds, is it your experience that TISM really yields this much more (a full 1%) than TSM? (About 70% of TISM is qualified, so even paying extra taxes on the non-qualified amount is certainly outweighed by the much higher yield plus foreign tax credit, if this difference in yield is real.) Total World appears to be about halfway in between TSM and TISM in terms of yield and QDI, which should be expected I guess. Thank you.
colejr

Re: Dividend Yield from Total Int'l Stock Market Index Fund

Post by colejr »

Calm Man wrote:A quick question, really a reality check. For some reason, maybe currency fluctuations or something, Vanguard doesn't list SEC yields on the website for funds like TISM or Total World. I was able to find somewhere that for 2012, the dividend yield (not total return) for TISM Admiral was 3.11%. This compares to TSM of 2.13%. For people who have held both funds, is it your experience that TISM really yields this much more (a full 1%) than TSM? (About 70% of TISM is qualified, so even paying extra taxes on the non-qualified amount is certainly outweighed by the much higher yield plus foreign tax credit, if this difference in yield is real.) Total World appears to be about halfway in between TSM and TISM in terms of yield and QDI, which should be expected I guess. Thank you.
Vanguard doesn't list an SEC yield, but the Vanguard Financial Advisors website, which you can reach from vanguard.com, lists a dividend yield of 3.11% for the ETF version. Don't know if this is exactly spot-on or not, but it's definitely higher than TSM in my experience.

Jim
Topic Author
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Thank you Jim. Indeed it is convoluted to even find it there as one had to go to the tax center I think but I found that same 3.11%. That seems in sync with the annual report which I just looked at.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Calm Man wrote:A quick question, really a reality check. For some reason, maybe currency fluctuations or something, Vanguard doesn't list SEC yields on the website for funds like TISM or Total World. I was able to find somewhere that for 2012, the dividend yield (not total return) for TISM Admiral was 3.11%. This compares to TSM of 2.13%. For people who have held both funds, is it your experience that TISM really yields this much more (a full 1%) than TSM?
This was not the case before 2008. Foreign and US stock yields used to be about equal, but foreign yields have become higher in the last few years.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Tax Distributions

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Tax Distributions
Wiki David Grabiner