Deleted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Why not to delay all gratification

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (spending your money).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Given that we've gone about 65 million years without a substantial asteroid impact, I'm not too concerned. I know there have been asteroids that could have destroyed cities if they'd happened to land on one, but I wouldn't really consider that substantial.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Delaying gratification could be gratifying :-).

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

letsgobobby » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:45 pm

In a community where a slacker is someone who saves only 1/3 of his income
If Opponent Process was here we'd be reminded that we are a self-selected special interest group or some such. :happy
By the time an asteroid hits us, I hope I've spent and enjoyed my money.
Me too because I hope it never happens or at least has the common courtesy of not happening for another 10,000 years or so.
I didn't know it was Chinese new year [Apparently I live in a deep, dark cave] - I would have grabbed some Champagne! :sharebeer Enjoy!
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Seems like a good argument for diversification across multiple planets. ;)
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

interplanetjanet wrote:Seems like a good argument for diversification across multiple planets. ;)
I hear investing in Jupiter is risky though, with that big red spot storm still raging, it's effectively wiped that planet's economy off the map billions of years ago.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

interplanetjanet wrote:Seems like a good argument for diversification across multiple planets. ;)
Can I tag along? :-)

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
mike143

Post by mike143 »

YOLO, spend like there is no tomorrow.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

I like the thread title, but think that the asteroid bit steers the main idea in the wrong direction.

Usually, it takes something like a health scare or the unanticipated death of a close friend or family member to serve as a wake up call. There are lots of commonly occurring, everyday kinds of factors that should keep the high priority of appreciating every precious moment in balance with, as letsgobobby so pointedly puts it, watching our money "grow into a big pile."

Why not delay all gratification? We have no guarantee of tomorrow, we have no guarantee of a healthy and pain-free tomorrow, and we have no guarantee that those we love will be there with us tomorrow. A little travel, a good meal, a lovely symphony, a favorite bottle of wine, a charitable gift... all make memories that will be our comfort and out mainstays in a fast-approaching future.

Though, if that interplanetary jaunt is a "go," sign me on.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

cinghiale wrote:I like the thread title, but think that the asteroid bit steers the main idea in the wrong direction.

Usually, it takes something like a health scare or the unanticipated death of a close friend or family member to serve as a wake up call. There are lots of commonly occurring, everyday kinds of factors that should keep the high priority of appreciating every precious moment in balance with, as letsgobobby so pointedly puts it, watching our money "grow into a big pile."

Why not delay all gratification? We have no guarantee of tomorrow, we have no guarantee of a healthy and pain-free tomorrow, and we have no guarantee that those we love will be there with us tomorrow. A little travel, a good meal, a lovely symphony, a favorite bottle of wine, a charitable gift... all make memories that will be our comfort and out mainstays in a fast-approaching future.

With you all the way on this one, every word, right up to the interplanetary jaunt. :thumbsup
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:
cinghiale wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote: Seems like a good argument for diversification across multiple planets. ;)
With you all the way on this one, every word, right up to the interplanetary jaunt. :thumbsup
All aboard for the interplanetary jaunt with interplanetjanet!

Victoria
fundtalker123

Post by fundtalker123 »

Fortunately it has been shown that over the last 30 years that small value stock returns correlate with frequency of meteor impacts, so those who tilt should be safe for the next millenium or so. If a meteor hits your house, your small value stocks will probably go up enough that you can buy a new house (assuming you were not in the house when the meteor hit).
RenoJay

Post by RenoJay »

Thanks for the link. I am going to immediately spend the proportion of my portfolio which equals my estimation of the odds of an asteroid hitting my city.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

RenoJay wrote:Thanks for the link. I am going to immediately spend the proportion of my portfolio which equals my estimation of the odds of an asteroid hitting my city.
But remember that your state attracts high fliers.

Victoria
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

High resolution NASA photo of the approaching asteroid:

The is apparently some concern that if that volcano erupts, it could push the asteroid onto a collision course with Earth.
am

Post by am »

Is there a hedge or insurance I can use for this in my portfolio? :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fallible wrote:
cinghiale wrote:I like the thread title, but think that the asteroid bit steers the main idea in the wrong direction.

Let's get back on this planet - to decide on spending your money now, or save for later.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Frankly i get great gratification about having a big pile.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LadyGeek wrote:
Fallible wrote:With you all the way on this one, every word, right up to the interplanetary jaunt. :thumbsup
Let's get back on this planet - to decide on spending your money now, or save for later.
LadyGeek,

My reply to Cinghale's post, but detached from it here, may have been misunderstood. I was agreeing entirely with Cinghale’s sensitively worded reply on delayed gratification because I share many of the experiences he mentioned. The interplanetary-jaunt reference, both his and mine, were just brief asides (a few words in my case) and a reference to the previous posts. Without Cinghale's post here, my reply alone may appear to be only about the jaunt.

Fallible

[It's fixed. --admin LadyGeek]
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:Delaying gratification could be gratifying :-).

Victoria
You want to see a pile of money?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:

Victoria
You want to see a pile of money?
I want to see a pile of commas.

Victoria
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Victoria
+1

I didn't read the link yet, but I have seen this ideology before.

I feel like saving money buys you more freedom. I don't neccesarily equate that with buying more things. I am a man with very modest taste and a perfect day for me is taking my wife for a walk in the park or just spending a day with her doing nothing but watching movies on TV. I don't need to take expensive vacations or buy things to feel like I'm not living my life.

I do enjoy going on vacation, but it can be anything. Just spending time with my family makes me feel like my life is worth living.

I don't particularly like my job so having more money saved and being mortgage free makes my work life seem more bearable. In the back of my mind I know if I ever get laid off I might be a little uncomfortable, but I would still have a roof over my head and options that people with debt and no savings would not have. That is one of the main reasons I do what I do.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

letsgobobby wrote:In a community where a slacker is someone who saves only 1/3 of his income, let's not forget the purpose of Bogleheadism is to have money to do things with. Not to have it grow into a big pile.
I think it is more about not doing things. Not having to go to a job, when I am in my late 50s and beyond. Not having to do things myself that I don't want to do, because I can comfortably pay other people to do them. Not having to sell my house to afford retirement.

Like the poster above, my pile is for freedom and security, not getting more stuff and not for more going and doing.
MnD

Post by MnD »

I look at it this way - if I was diagnosed with a fast progressing, terminal illness tomorrow, would I regret not haven't spent, traveled, acquired and overall "lived" more?
My answer is no. We've traveled extensively domestically and a fair amount internationally, we have a big old "money pit" 1950's house and big yard, a fabulous wife of 28 years, two great kids who will graduate without any college debt, three "better than basic" vehicles that everybody likes, pets, hobbies, toys etc. We don't agonize over every purchase but rather set a savings rate, pay that first and spend the rest as worry and carefree as the amount will allow.

Do we live beneath our means? Absolutely. I'd guess our lifetime savings rate is 20-25%. I'm sure we could have in the past and could now save 50% or more if we had nixed a great deal of our past and current lifestyle extras. But if I did that and learned the game was up early, would I be sorry I delayed nearly all immediate gratification? Absolutely - I would be filled with regret. I wonder about the people that say they are single, live in a small apartment, don't have a car or any costly activities and save 60%. To each his own of course - but is that living?

We save the amount we save not to make a big pile pile of money to gaze at, but rather for the four biggies - 1) to have our kids graduate from college debt free, 2) to blow up our careers when the kids are out of college in our mid 50's, 3) then embark on a comfortable and fun "Life 2.0" without the requirement to ever again work for others, and 4) by that time have a nice home in good condition owned free and clear and with no other debts. We could save a lot more money than we do now but if anyone suggested it, my response would be - but why?
Last edited by MnD on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Toons

Post by Toons »

MnD wrote:I look at it this way - if I was diagnosed with a fast progressing, terminal illness tomorrow, would I regret not haven't spent, traveled, acquired and overall "lived" more?
My answer is no. We've traveled extensively domestically and a fair amount internationally, we have a big old "money pit" 1950's house and big yard, a fabulous wife of 28 years, two great kids who will graduate without any college debt, three "better than basic" vehicles that everybody likes, pets, hobbies, toys etc. We don't agonize over every purchase but rather set a savings rate, pay that first and spend the rest as worry and carefree as the amount will allow.

Do we live beneath our means? Absolutely. I'd guess our lifetime savings rate is 20-25%. I'm sure we could have in the past and could now save 50% or more if we had nixed a great deal of our past and current lifestyle extras. But if I did that and learned the game was up early, would I be sorry I delayed nearly all immediate gratification? Absolutely - I would be filled with regret. I wonder about the people that say they are single, live in a small apartment, don't have a car or any costly activities and save 60%. To each his own of course - but is that living?

We save the amount we save not to make a big pile pile of money to gaze at, but rather for the four biggies - 1) to have our kids graduate from college debt free, 2) to blow up our careers when the kids are out of college in our mid 50's, 3) then embark on a comfortable and fun "Life 2.0" without the requirement to ever again work for others, and 4) by that time have a nice home in good condition owned free and clear and with no other debts.

+1 Well Said :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I'm not convinced that living below one's means necessarily means you are foregoing gratification.

Let's take dining out for an example. Looking back, there is very little correlation between the price of a meal and how memorable it was. Or consumer items... I can think of lots of things I wish I hadn't bought. but hardly any that I didn't buy and wish I had.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Alex Frakt wrote:I'm not convinced that living below one's means necessarily means you are foregoing gratification.
+1
Happiness is not having what you want.
It's wanting what you have.

Stated another way, perhaps;
Money
It can buy a house, but not a home.
It can buy a clock, but not time.
It can buy you a position, but not respect.
It can buy you a bed, but not sleep.
It can buy you a book, but not knowledge.
It can buy you medicine, but not health.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Interesting bit about the asteroid.

My feeling is that we should live below your means, but frankly delaying all gratification is a really bad idea. Our existent if finite. If we are spending all of your time protecting yourself with insurance, why not live and experience. You can take trips to exotic places (within your means) now and do all of the things you can't do later. When you return to those places years later, you can still enjoy the places you visit and have pleasant memory of your previous visit.

I know some people always look at the future. When they are in school, they plan to go to a great college. When they have finish, they are working up to their perfect job, and then to perfect retirement. The journey is as important as the destination. In the end, we all end up dead.

Paul
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

In the long run, we're all dead.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
kamo

Post by kamo »

Money
It can buy a house, but not a home.
It can buy a clock, but not time.
It can buy you a position, but not respect.
It can buy you a bed, but not sleep.
It can buy you a book, but not knowledge.
It can buy you medicine, but not health.

Jerry[/quote]

+1. Like how you distinguished what money is and what it is not.
He who knows he has enough is rich. Lao-Tzu