401K choices

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

401K choices

Postby legio XX » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 am

I got this request for my opinion from a colleague. (I answered only that my old 401K plan included Pimco and it had done alright - kind of fuzzy there.) I don't know the overall situation such as AA, total nest egg or % represented by this 401K, but the home is paid off and no dependent kids, etc. I would bet that the overall picture would meet boglehead standards.

(And I never heard of taking an in-service withdrawal - sounds like a great idea if you can do it!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My company is changing 401(k) providers; the index option offered for stocks isn't bad, and the cost went from .84% to .60% ....

The bond choices, however ...

Blackrock High Yield Bond Inv A BHYAX 1.07%
Blackrock Inflation Protected Bond Inv A BPRAX .99%
AllianceBern Global Bond A ANAGX .95%
JP Morgan Total Return A JMTAX 1.20%
Pimco Income A PONAX 1.01%

What do you think? Pimco? Or should I rearrange my Vanguard so that the bonds are there, and the 401(k) is stock-only ?

I am a few years away from being able to do an in-service withdrawal and switch funds over to Vanguard.
---------------------------------------------------
Any comments/advice, thanks in advance,

Vic
legio XX

Re: 401K choices

Postby ofcmetz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:59 am

From the little we know from this post, I would recommend he get his fixed income from Vanguard. Also, you may want to ask him if the plan offers a stable value fund that he didn't mention.
Showing up at the donut shop at 5 am to get them hot out of the oil is an example of successful market timing.
ofcmetz

Postby Default User BR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:22 pm

legio XX wrote:(And I never heard of taking an in-service withdrawal - sounds like a great idea if you can do it!)

For employee contributions to deferred traditional or Roth, in-service rollover requires reaching age 59-1/2. Presumable that's what the person meant by being a few years away. It sounds like the plan allows this, although it is not required to do so.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby retiredjg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 pm

ofcmetz wrote:From the little we know from this post, I would recommend he get his fixed income from Vanguard. Also, you may want to ask him if the plan offers a stable value fund that he didn't mention.

This is what I think as well. If there is adequate flexibility, use a Vanguard bond fund. Also check for a stable value fund (sometimes, they seem to fall off the list or be listed somewhere else) and use that if necessary. If not and if bonds must be held in the 401k, I'd probably use the PIMCO or Blackrock inflation protected choice.
retiredjg

Postby legio XX » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks folks,

I passed this along.

Vic
legio XX

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments