Savings Bond Wizard and Mac

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hollowcave2

Savings Bond Wizard and Mac

Post by hollowcave2 »

I have a Mac laptop. I wanted to download and install the savings bond wizard, but it seems like it only runs in Windows.

I'm a bit surprised that there's no Mac version. Is it possible to install Wizard on a Mac?

I would think that with the popularity of Apple products, they'd have something for Mac users.

Anybody know how to do this?

Steve
sscritic

Re: Savings Bond Wizard and Mac

Post by sscritic »

hollowcave2 wrote:I have a Mac laptop. I wanted to download and install the savings bond wizard, but it seems like it only runs in Windows.

I'm a bit surprised that there's no Mac version. Is it possible to install Wizard on a Mac?

I would think that with the popularity of Apple products, they'd have something for Mac users.

Steve

You know the answer.
hollowcave2 wrote:it only runs in Windows
Another answer: Boot Camp
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

hollowcave2 wrote:I have a Mac laptop. I wanted to download and install the savings bond wizard, but it seems like it only runs in Windows.
I use this instead: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice.

It's nice because all you have to save on your computer is an html file. You can open as a list at any time without going online, or go online to update it.

You can enter the serial number of your I-bond like this, "IAAAE 1.40," to show the serial number plus the fixed rate.

Best regards, Tet
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Steve
Try "Virtual Box" on your Mac; it is free virtual machine software. I use it to run Quicken (or any other Windows program for which there is not a suitable Mac equivalent).

Fletch
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

tetractys wrote:I use this instead: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice.

It's nice because all you have to save on your computer is an html file. You can open as a list at any time without going online, or go online to update it.

You can enter the serial number of your I-bond like this, "IAAAE 1.40," to show the serial number plus the fixed rate.

Best regards, Tet
This is exactly what I do, with one exception that I save as "Web Archive" rather than "Page Source". Not sure if it actually makes much difference. "Web Archive" generally saves "more" (images, etc.) This procedure seems to do everything I need. Never felt the need to find out whether the Savings Bond wizard does anything more.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Nisiprius,

Try saving just the source. I think it will look the same, with the same links etc., because the formatting is styled by the html, and there aren't any images anyway.

Also I believe TD's SBC does everything the Windows program does, except take up the extra file space. Personally even if I had Windows, I would still use TD's online program because of the added convenience. There's no need to download and store data updates, and no need to do upgrades, transfer files, or wrestle with program bugs.

Best regards, Tet
Last edited by tetractys on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

sscritic wrote: Another answer: Boot Camp
I'll second that. Boot Camp itself is free, and works like a charm. You do have to buy a copy of Windows, but you can go online to save money and avoid being seen by anyone you know. I bought an OEM version, for example.

I'm not sure if it's worth doing it just for this "wizard," but there will probably be other times when you'll want to boot into Windows for something random, so it's a handy purchase, IMHO.

JJ
Topic Author
hollowcave2

thanks

Post by hollowcave2 »

Thanks for all of the help. I'll try these ideas. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I was getting spoiled thinking a Mac can do everything.

:D
Steve
tetractys

Re: thanks

Post by tetractys »

hollowcave2 wrote:Thanks for all of the help. I'll try these ideas. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I was getting spoiled thinking a Mac can do everything.
There's also the Spotted Snake savings bond software. I'm not sure it's being upgraded any more, and once when I tried it it was buggy. -- Tet
leftcoaster

Re: thanks

Post by leftcoaster »

tetractys wrote:
hollowcave2 wrote:Thanks for all of the help. I'll try these ideas. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I was getting spoiled thinking a Mac can do everything.
There's also the Spotted Snake savings bond software. I'm not sure it's being upgraded any more, and once when I tried it it was buggy. -- Tet
It is indeed being upgraded as necessary. If there are bugs you can report them to support@spottedsnake.net.

We have quite a few happy users....
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

I don't run Windows, but use the Savings Bond Wizard to keep track of my paper bonds on my linux laptop. I've done this by first installing WINE and then installing the Savings Bond Wizard with WINE. I've used this set up for years with no issues (at least 5 years if not more).

WINE is an open source implementation of a subset of the WIndows API. It's available for Mac OS X and would save you the cost of a Windows license and booting into boot camp for checking your bond prices monthly.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

WinOnX is available for $4.99 in the App Store and is some kind of version of WINE. I downloaded it mostly out of curiosity. I don't know how it compares with going straight to WineHQ, or with buying CrossOver for $60.

I downloaded and installed Savings Bond Wizard using WinOnX. I'm afraid I didn't do anything more than verify that it does seem to run.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.