What's the ratio of retired/not retired on this forum?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.

Are you retired?

More than 10 years to expected retirement.
43%
5-10 years to expected retirement.
9%
Less than 5 years to expected retirement.
7%
Within a year of retirement, either way.
6%
Retired less than 5 years ago.
13%
Retired 5-10 years ago.
11%
Retired more than 10 years ago.
12%

Total votes: 300

Topic Author
Minot

What's the ratio of retired/not retired on this forum?

Post by Minot »

I've noticed that there's a lot more information in the wiki that applies to the accumulation stage than to the withdrawal stage. Some of that because there's been much more study of accumulations issues and strategies, but I'm guessing that a large percent of those of us who have retired already are a distinct minority. This poll is a test of my guess.

Minot
TomatoTomahto

Re: What's the ratio of retired/not retired on this forum?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Does retired mean that both spouses no longer work for pay? I stopped getting a paycheck years ago, but am I a house-husband, kids' chauffeur, or retired? I think since my wife still gets a paycheck, we're not retired yet, but how do I respond in this poll?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

retired 13 yrs :sharebeer

some of us old greybeards are still in accumulation--taxable accounts for heirs/charity
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Minot wrote:.... I'm guessing that a large percent of those of us who have retired already are a distinct minority. This poll is a test of my guess.
People on this Forum are using their employers' time to post during the day while retired people are out/about enjoying themselves. LOL

Retired people that post a lot during the day should think about what I just said.

Note to self: stop posting in the darn Forum.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Me 30, wife 35, working on children, retirement far and away, but working on the ground work.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

YDNAL wrote:People on this Forum are using their employers' time to post during the day while retired people are out/about enjoying themselves. LOL

Retired people that post a lot during the day should think about what I just said.
Those still employed are day-dreaming about retirement. Those already retired are working to make the retirement happen.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Retired 2 years, don't like that word though...work is overrated :sharebeer
"When nothing goes right....go left"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

EternalOptimist wrote:Retired 2 years, don't like that word though...work is overrated :sharebeer
Leisurely occupied -- is this better?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sport

Post by sport »

VictoriaF wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:Retired 2 years, don't like that word though...work is overrated :sharebeer

Victoria
Other options: Professional Investor, Financier

Jeff
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I plan to become "a man of leisure" in 14 months @ 57 yo. Certainly has not been leisurely to get to that point though!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

hicabob wrote:I plan to become "a man of leisure" in 14 months @ 57 yo. Certainly has not been leisurely to get to that point though!
Lucky you. "A woman of leisure" has a distinctly different connotation.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

hicabob wrote:I plan to become "a man of leisure" in 14 months @ 57 yo. Certainly has not been leisurely to get to that point though!

Good for you, got out of the rat race 2 years ago and ain't goin' back :annoyed
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

I'm going to have to ask my accountant if it's better to be retired or unemployed. I know my doctors charge less when I'm a cash customer who's unemployed. :confused
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

VictoriaF wrote:
Lucky you. "A woman of leisure" has a distinctly different connotation.

Victoria
That's a tad sexist indeed. The English language never ceases to amaze.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Minot wrote:I've noticed that there's a lot more information in the wiki that applies to the accumulation stage than to the withdrawal stage. Some of that because there's been much more study of accumulations issues and strategies, but I'm guessing that a large percent of those of us who have retired already are a distinct minority...
It could also be that wiki editors create content based their interests. :wink:

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

Interesting survey - I'll be interested in the results.

Retired 12 years. I've come to understand that "retirement" is the natural state of man - and I now fail to understand how I had any time for work.

Fortunately, those who are still bidding up our stocks and paying us interest haven't figured out that this is a Ponzi scheme. :D

Actually, I have figured out that during the working years (on average) one must produce enough excess value to society to pay for their own retirement.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
midareff

Post by midareff »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Perhaps...... Occupationally disadvantaged?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

midareff wrote:Perhaps...... Occupationally disadvantaged?
Occupationally liberated?

Victoria
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

From a previous May 2011 Bogleheads poll..........

Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
dyeusdi

Post by dyeusdi »

Speaking as a two-year lurker: Mid thirties, underwater due to a separation, new to financial planning, and now afloat again. I am extremely grateful for the abundance of approachable information on this forum, and the generous people who contribute and maintain it. The experiences shared here from across the life and income spectrum are sobering, heartening, and rewarding. I can only hope this community continues as I move across the poll categories, silently reading for years to come. =) Thanks so much!
"You've got to be old with money because to be old without it is just too awful, you've got to be | one or the other, either young or with money, you can't be old and without it."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm semiretired, currently working somewhere in between 1/4 time and 1/2 time. Not sure what to answer. I pretty much set my own schedule, so in a lot of ways I feel retired. I can get into the town hall during business hours. I can bring a book to a doctor's waiting room and not feel stressed if she's running behind schedule. My wife and I are drawing Social Security, and receiving payouts from a fixed annuity. We made the transition from employer health insurance to COBRA to private to Medicare. We are not dealing with the issues of "decumulation"--drawing from our investment portfolio--in fact we're continuing to make modest additions to it.

Since we've been in about that state for several years I guess I'll say "retired less than five years ago."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I retired 11 years ago, but then went back to work half time for a few years, then less, and fully retired for the last 3 years. So I voted for 'retired for more than 10 years'. Bernd
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Far away from retirement. Thank God I like going to work.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pennstater2005 wrote:Far away from retirement. Thank God I like going to work.
This too shall pass ;-)

Victoria
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

VictoriaF wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Far away from retirement. Thank God I like going to work.
This too shall pass ;-)

Victoria
Hopefully you're not talking about me liking work :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Pre-retired?
I know nothing!
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I have just come to the realization that I am pre-tired.
I can retire but want to contnue working preferably in consultant job that is 6 months in length.
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

LAlearning wrote:Pre-retired?
I have just come to the realization that I am pre-tired.
I can retire but want to contnue working preferably in consultant job that is 6 months in the year.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

YDNAL wrote: People on this Forum are using their employers' time to post during the day while retired people are out/about enjoying themselves. LOL

You should stop, especially since you find it not enjoyable. Are you a masochist?

I enjoy posting, that's why I do it. Now I admit, most of the time I don't enjoy reading, so maybe I should try posting more without reading anything that precedes my post. Hmm, that sounds familiar.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

I picked retired 5-10 yrs cuz I am. Hopefully, sometime in the future I will be able to un-retire, but there was no option for that.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Trending. Definitely trending.

Brian
carolc

Post by carolc »

Retiring in 2 months at age 58.

carolc
2b2

Post by 2b2 »

Welcome to the forum, dyeusdi.

2b2
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Default User BR wrote:Trending. Definitely trending.

Brian
Older, by the day, everyday. When someone retires, does an angel get its wings?

But what about the top end? If someone posted retired yesterday but dies today, who is going to fix the poll?
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

sscritic wrote:
YDNAL wrote: People on this Forum are using their employers' time to post during the day while retired people are out/about enjoying themselves. LOL

You should stop, especially since you find it not enjoyable. Are you a masochist?

I enjoy posting, that's why I do it. Now I admit, most of the time I don't enjoy reading, so maybe I should try posting more without reading anything that precedes my post. Hmm, that sounds familiar.
Code Blue, Stat, myocardial senseofhumorinfarction on Boglehead Forum, Local Chapters.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

I'm 30, wife is 28. Loooong way to go.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Retired in late 2008 at 45. I am a few months from turning 50.
Av8remeritus

Post by Av8remeritus »

Newby on deck!! Retired 34 DAYS ago and am enjoying living on _my_ schedule. Want to do some serious Boglehead reading, then have many questions. I thought we were set up pretty good until I started exchanging ideas with a friend.....now, things aren't as clear to me.
Topic Author
Minot

Post by Minot »

Av8remeritus wrote:Newby on deck!! Retired 34 DAYS ago and am enjoying living on _my_ schedule. Want to do some serious Boglehead reading, then have many questions. I thought we were set up pretty good until I started exchanging ideas with a friend.....now, things aren't as clear to me.
Welcome aboard, Av8. If you're like me, you'll find this forum will give you a lot to think about and will probably lead you to make some changes in your portfolio. I'd recommend you take your time before making changes though--or if not, post your proposed changes on the forum first. I didn't do that, and while the changes I made were basically good, I ended up paying more taxes than I would have needed to since I started making changes before I read the tax effiency information. I suspect there are other possible less-than-optimal ways to proceed.
Av8remeritus

Post by Av8remeritus »

Minot wrote:
Av8remeritus wrote:Newby on deck!! Retired 34 DAYS ago and am enjoying living on _my_ schedule. Want to do some serious Boglehead reading, then have many questions. I thought we were set up pretty good until I started exchanging ideas with a friend.....now, things aren't as clear to me.
Welcome aboard, Av8. If you're like me, you'll find this forum will give you a lot to think about and will probably lead you to make some changes in your portfolio. I'd recommend you take your time before making changes though--or if not, post your proposed changes on the forum first. I didn't do that, and while the changes I made were basically good, I ended up paying more taxes than I would have needed to since I started making changes before I read the tax effiency information. I suspect there are other possible less-than-optimal ways to proceed.
Thanks, Minot, I appreciate your taking the time to respond....your suggestion essentially IS my issue: to maintain our low seven figure nestegg, while trying to reduce risk, is going to take some strategic moves that will involve the taxman and my intent is to involve him less rather than more. To take full advantage of the advice and guidance that I anticipate from this site, I'm going to read the books, forum, and Wikis, before proceeding.
In my initial post, I neglected to say that I retired at 67 and the friend that recommended that I get involved with Bogleheads has been a member for several years and states you guys helped him retire well ahead of me!
Av8r
lauren_knows

Post by lauren_knows »

31 and accumulating here. With any bit of luck, we'll be either fully retired or semi-retired in our early 40s.
41 - Married - 2 kids - Aiming for FI/ER in early 40s - Creator of cFIREsim
spocksynder

Post by spocksynder »

31 here, and just started to scratch the surface with my retirement planning. Long march till I hit my numbers.