Treasury Direct Online account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
new_bogle

Treasury Direct Online account

Post by new_bogle »

I am starting the process to convert my and my wife's paper i bonds to electronic version. I finally got around the creating a manifest for my bonds. I must say they could not have made it more complicated, though there conversion guide is helpful. My questions is should I create a new TD account for my wife for conversion and purchasing new i bonds or can I do it all from my account which I have already created?
NAVigator

Re: Treasury Direct Online account

Post by NAVigator »

Wouldn't you both have to have accounts? There is no such thing as a joint account at TD. So her bonds would go to her account and your bonds would go into your account.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Topic Author
new_bogle

Post by new_bogle »

Thanks Jerry. I think so too.. but the whole TD website is quite confusing... I will create another account for my wife to keep accounting simple...
Randomize

Post by Randomize »

new_bogle wrote:I am starting the process to convert my and my wife's paper i bonds to electronic version. I finally got around the creating a manifest for my bonds. I must say they could not have made it more complicated, though there conversion guide is helpful. My questions is should I create a new TD account for my wife for conversion and purchasing new i bonds or can I do it all from my account which I have already created?
Mind if I ask why you're converting them? In our world of digital money and our reliance on the internet and cyber security, I kind of like the idea of having physical bonds :)
Kumte

Post by Kumte »

You can put all the bonds into your account if you are the co-owner along with your wife for the bonds. That is what I did.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

new_bogle wrote:I am starting the process to convert my and my wife's paper i bonds to electronic version. I finally got around the creating a manifest for my bonds. I must say they could not have made it more complicated, though there conversion guide is helpful. My questions is should I create a new TD account for my wife for conversion and purchasing new i bonds or can I do it all from my account which I have already created?
It appears that one can use single account but create a new registration. Though I am not sure if it is recommended to have single TD account with 2 Sole Owner type of registrations or 2 separate TD accounts with 1 Sole Owner type of registration. Can someone who is regularly buying $20K worth of bonds ($10K each) post how its typically done/recommended?
bogle2013

Post by bogle2013 »

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I want to max out the i-bond purchasing for my family each year (myself, wife, and two kids). Adding the kids was easy. But I can't figure out how to add my wife to be able to buy her $10k from the same account. I would like to make all the purchases from the same bank account - it appears most likely that I just need to set up a separate account with her social.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

bogle2013 wrote:Just wanted to bump this thread.

I want to max out the i-bond purchasing for my family each year (myself, wife, and two kids). Adding the kids was easy. But I can't figure out how to add my wife to be able to buy her $10k from the same account. I would like to make all the purchases from the same bank account - it appears most likely that I just need to set up a separate account with her social.
I believe you have to open separate account and there is no concept of joint account at TD. I was trying to find another thread where it was mentioned but I'm not getting it now.

BTW, were you able buy I-Bonds on kid's name by logging into your own account? Didn't you need to create separate TD account by giving their social?
bogle2013

Post by bogle2013 »

bandoba wrote:

I believe you have to open separate account and there is no concept of joint account at TD. I was trying to find another thread where it was mentioned but I'm not getting it now.

BTW, were you able buy I-Bonds on kid's name by logging into your own account? Didn't you need to create separate TD account by giving their social?
It was pretty straightforward where you did add a Minor Linked Account to your main account using their SS#.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

bogle2013 wrote:
bandoba wrote:

It was pretty straightforward where you did add a Minor Linked Account to your main account using their SS#.
Hmmm, guess I misunderstood earlier. I checked back and I see "Establish a Minor Linked Account" option which would let me buy on behalf of minor. Thanks for pointing that out.

I was thinking to do the same i.e. max out for our family given that we are high tax bracket and CA resident. But I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy I-Bonds on behalf of minor when I imght end up using it for our expenses rather than kids's education etc. Do you remember seeing any threads where this is discussed?
bogle2013

Post by bogle2013 »

bandoba wrote:
bogle2013 wrote:
bandoba wrote:

Hmmm, guess I misunderstood earlier. I checked back and I see "Establish a Minor Linked Account" option which would let me buy on behalf of minor. Thanks for pointing that out.

I was thinking to do the same i.e. max out for our family given that we are high tax bracket and CA resident. But I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy I-Bonds on behalf of minor when I imght end up using it for our expenses rather than kids's education etc. Do you remember seeing any threads where this is discussed?
I look at it as a loophole in the system. I am using my kids social b/c TD has a limit of $10k each year. If they didn't have that limit, I would just simply buy $30k in my name rather than add my 2 kids into the mix. It doesn't necessarily have to go directly to college expenses, but i certainly think you spend $10k a year on expenses related to the child :)
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

bogle2013 wrote: I look at it as a loophole in the system. I am using my kids social b/c TD has a limit of $10k each year. If they didn't have that limit, I would just simply buy $30k in my name rather than add my 2 kids into the mix. It doesn't necessarily have to go directly to college expenses, but i certainly think you spend $10k a year on expenses related to the child :)
I agree! Thanks.