Any creative ways to refinance an upside down mortgage?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dsanders79

Any creative ways to refinance an upside down mortgage?

Post by dsanders79 »

I currently owe ~$169,000 @ 5.125% on my house. I have a conventional 30 year mortgage that is owned by Freddie Mac. Unfortunately the mortgage originated in July 2010 so I do not qualify for HARP. I already tried to refinance but the appraisal came in pretty low and I am underwater. Right now my plan is to put in some sweat equity, wait for the housing market to recover a bit and hope interest rates will still be low when that time comes. I have accepted that this is my probably my only course of action, but I wanted to put my situation out there to see if anyone had any ideas for me. If I had only found these forums before I purchased my house :(
lindisfarne

Re: Any creative ways to refinance an upside down mortgage?

Post by lindisfarne »

dsanders79 wrote:I currently owe ~$169,000 @ 5.125% on my house. I have a conventional 30 year mortgage that is owned by Freddie Mac. Unfortunately the mortgage originated in July 2010 so I do not qualify for HARP. I already tried to refinance but the appraisal came in pretty low and I am underwater. Right now my plan is to put in some sweat equity, wait for the housing market to recover a bit and hope interest rates will still be low when that time comes. I have accepted that this is my probably my only course of action, but I wanted to put my situation out there to see if anyone had any ideas for me. If I had only found these forums before I purchased my house :(
You may not be eligible for HARP but are you eligible for anything else?
I'd go to http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov & use the number there to talk to one of their advisors.
bdpb

Post by bdpb »

Borrow against equity in your car from PenFed at 1.5%.

Withdraw Roth contributions tax and penalty free.

Withdraw and pay tax and penalties on 529, HSA, IRAs.

Get a second job.

Cut spending significantly. Rice and beans or Ramen noodles.
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

At 5.125% its probably worth paying it down to get it above water in order to refinance. These days that's a pretty high rate.
Topic Author
dsanders79

Post by dsanders79 »

jon-nyc wrote:At 5.125% its probably worth paying it down to get it above water in order to refinance. These days that's a pretty high rate.
I am currently planning to max my 401k this year. Should I reconsider that plan and pay down my mortgage instead (still contribute to the company match)?

I do get a little extra income from contract work that I will be throwing at the mortgage.
midareff

Post by midareff »

dsanders79 wrote:
jon-nyc wrote:At 5.125% its probably worth paying it down to get it above water in order to refinance. These days that's a pretty high rate.
I am currently planning to max my 401k this year. Should I reconsider that plan and pay down my mortgage instead (still contribute to the company match)?

I do get a little extra income from contract work that I will be throwing at the mortgage.
It seems these days that much lower rates are out there for the taking. I'm getting ready to close a 30 refi at 3.0% with 25 basis points. I think 3 1/4 is still out there. On 160K that would be a reduction of $185.78 a month.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

are the home payments currently a large (31%+) proportion of your monthly gross income? you may be able to get a modification.

There could be a few lenders who will refi an underwater property, although without it being HARP it might be tough. Might be one of those situations where a mortgage broker would be useful.