Free Life Insurance - Really?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BrianOB

Free Life Insurance - Really?

Post by BrianOB »

My wife just started a new job and her new employer is offering her a "free" $50,000 life insurance policy. Supposedly it doesn't come out of her paycheck, and it's a guaranteed minimum regardless of health. You can pay for more coverage but we don't need it (or even this really).

Obviously, I'm suspicious of anything that claims to be "free". We don't want to turn down (potential) money we're entitled to but I believe "free money" exists as much as I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

What are they getting out of this? Why are they offering her this? Is there a catch? What questions should we be asking?
HueyLD

Re: Free Life Insurance - Really?

Post by HueyLD »

Free employer provided life insurance for a certain amount has been around for a long long time, just like other employment related benefits (e.g. health insurance coverage, vacation and holidays, etc.)

Your wife may want to ask if any of the "free" coverage is taxable and how much the taxable amount will be.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Sounds legit to me. I've worked at 2 companies that offer life insurance of 1x your salary, with a minimum amount of $50K.
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

My wife has the same thing. I don't think you're missing anything. For starters, the 50k policy probably costs the company next to nothing. The benefit is not so generous and the cost is so minimal to the company that it shouldn't be that unbelievable.

As far as why they would this, it's an added employee benefit. I bet it costs them less than $100/yr to provide this benefit to your wife. So long as it is truly free, I would not decline it, even if you don't need it.
mhc

Post by mhc »

BrianOB wrote:My wife just started a new job and her new employer is offering her a "free" $50,000 life insurance policy. Supposedly it doesn't come out of her paycheck, and it's a guaranteed minimum regardless of health. You can pay for more coverage but we don't need it (or even this really).

Obviously, I'm suspicious of anything that claims to be "free". We don't want to turn down (potential) money we're entitled to but I believe "free money" exists as much as I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

What are they getting out of this? Why are they offering her this? Is there a catch? What questions should we be asking?
This is common. The only catch is if the employer provides 1x salary for "free", it is only "free" when it is below $50k. Once it goes above $50k, the employee starts paying taxes on the premiums for the part of the insurance that is above $50k. Not a big deal.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Pretty standard. $50k is the max employers can provide w/o being taxed.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Pretty standard. $50k is the max employers can provide w/o being taxed.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

My wife gets 2.5X her salary up to 175K for through her employer automatically, costs $74.80 on her W2 for box 12C. Can also buy down as low as 1x salary and get "flex credits" but can't go back up without a medical clearance.
Last edited by runner9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
BrianOB

Post by BrianOB »

Really? I've never heard of it. It just sounded... sort of creepy. I'm reassured that it's not that uncommon and your spouses are still intact.

I poked around a bit and found this. It sounds like the loophole that allowed companies to collect on your behalf has been closed?
In a typical broad-based leveraged COLI transaction, a corporate employer would purchase policies on masses of lower-level employees, sometimes without the employees' knowledge or consent. When an insured employee died, the company received the death benefits, and the employee's family typically received either a small portion of the proceeds or nothing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_peasant_insurance

Thanks to everyone who answered!
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Every company I've ever worked for provided life insurance coverage. I'm sure it's nearly uniform at any large company to have this benefit. The reason they probably provide up to $50k is that's the limit of the deductibility for this type of cafeteria style benefit. That's also why when you get more than $50k in coverage (many provide 1 yr salary) the benefit amount above that is taxable to the employee.
mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

It's part of your total compensation package. Even though you don't pay a premium for this coverage, it is not free. The company pays for it and it becomes part of the cost of doing business and affects the price of the product to the consumer. So, ultimately we all pay for any free group life insurance (and any other benefits).
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

I also have an employer-provided life insurance policy of $75k as a part of my compensation package. So, yes, it is legit.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I get 1x of salary, my wife gets 2x from her employer. Free. Or, to be precise, employer pays for it, part of compensation package. Most large companies offer it.

Either employer gives option of purchasing more insurance (up to 5x) through paycheck deductions btw.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

i agree that it isnt really free. a better situation is if they will give you the cost of the policy. That way you can purchase your own policy with at least part of that money and not have the limitations of a group policy. This would be extra income and of course taxed.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In most? all? of my jobs, I've gotten a free life insurance policy for, I believe in all cases, 1X my salary. There was usually an option to buy more, conveniently, through payroll deduction. The premium was independent of age. When I was considering it, premium for the "extra" employer-provided life insurance was not terrible at all, but nevertheless not as good a deal as the term insurance I bought from TIAA-CREF, from SBLI, and from the Wisconsin State Life Fund. My recollection was that I did opt for an extra 2X salary for a few years, just as a temporizing measure, before I bought the other policies. Check off the box first, one less thing to worry about, then price-shop later.

Employers decide what package of salary and benefit to offer, based on whatever considerations they consider--probably what's customary and competitive. A small but worthwhile amount of employer-provided life insurance is so customary that, yes, it would raise my eyebrows if a prospective employer failed to offer it. I think it's a decent little freebie, and I suspect that the insurers are willing to cut good deals with employers based on the the likelihood that many employees will opt to buy some extra insurance.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Most companies have it. Usually up to 1x or 2x your salary. Anything over $50k is taxable and shows up on your W2 at the end of the year.

I know for a fact that one company I worked for also covered themselves for 1x lower level employee salaries and 2x upper manager salaries.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Heck, I've even get a modest amount ($5k) even though I'm retired and not on the payroll.

When I was employed I got "free" an amount equal to my salary (not limited to $50k).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Saving$ wrote:Most companies have it. Usually up to 1x or 2x your salary. Anything over $50k is taxable and shows up on your W2 at the end of the year.
If it goes above $50,000 the paycheck will have an entry called "Imputed income" (not part of your salary deductions). That's where you'll find out how much your company has paid for coverage above the $50k limit, which is taxable income to you. If it's not in the paycheck summary, it will be in the year-end salary summary and W2 Box 12 as Code C.

From the IRS: Group-Term Life Insurance
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

This munificent benefit is probably costing the company all of about $100 a year. It is, after all, a term policy and the insurance company doesn't have the usual marketing expenses.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

LadyGeek wrote:
Saving$ wrote:Most companies have it. Usually up to 1x or 2x your salary. Anything over $50k is taxable and shows up on your W2 at the end of the year.
If it goes above $50,000 the paycheck will have an entry called "Imputed income" (not part of your salary deductions). That's where you'll find out how much your company has paid for coverage above the $50k limit, which is taxable income to you. If it's not in the paycheck summary, it will be in the year-end salary summary and W2 Box 12 as Code C.

From the IRS: Group-Term Life Insurance
Good point, $74.80 in 12C on wife's 2012 W2.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

I've got $95,000 coverage by default. It costs about $10 per year in additional tax. I think I could drop it to $50,000 to make it free, but I don't particularly care.