AARP Foundatation Tax-Aide

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bengal22

AARP Foundatation Tax-Aide

Post by bengal22 »

Anybody have any experience using AARP's free tax-aide for those over 60, low to moderate income? I'm retired and pre-social security so I think I would qualify.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Toons

Re: AARP Foundatation Tax-Aide

Post by Toons »

I have always done my own taxes,but I have worked with many Senior Citizens who have used Tax -Aide services and all have been very pleased. On occasion I would ask the Tax Aide volunteers questions regarding
my own taxes and they were more than willing to help. I would highly recommend their services if you "qualify"
Link below is an aarp foundation tax-aide locator :happy

http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLo ... 08DC19CD14
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bengal22 wrote:Anybody have any experience using AARP's free tax-aide for those over 60, low to moderate income? I'm retired and pre-social security so I think I would qualify.
I run two sites for TaxAide. Difference sites have different criteria on how they target the market. We will normally take anyone, regardless of age who fits the vague category of "low to middle income" and do not have complicated returns. We do most of the standard tax schedules (A, B, D, EIC, 8863, etc) and limited scope for Schedule C and E.

All the preparers go through an annual training program and certify on an IRS (and State) test during January and most sites open the first week of February.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to post or PM me.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
BL

Post by BL »

I volunteer at an AARP TCE (Tax-Aide) site now and previously at Vita site. jebmke has given a good short description of what is offered and training required for volunteers.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I have worked in both the Tax-Aide and VITA programs for the past nine years with concentration on the AARP Tax-Aide program. At my site, in a public library, I sometimes have to give priority to taxpayers aged 60+ as that is the mission of the program. I will do other ages as time permits.
Tom D.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tomd37 wrote:I have worked in both the Tax-Aide and VITA programs for the past nine years with concentration on the AARP Tax-Aide program. At my site, in a public library, I sometimes have to give priority to taxpayers aged 60+ as that is the mission of the program. I will do other ages as time permits.
Hi Tom,

We try to do that also. Because we work at a Senior Center it also gives seniors a natural edge on getting appointments. I also keep a short list of additional volunteer preparers from a couple of the adjacent counties to call in if we get booked up.

Good luck with startup next week. TWO this year?

Jim
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
theduke

Post by theduke »

I too am a Tax-Aide volunteer. I think they are several volunteers on this website.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Jim,

I am starting TWO this year for the first time. After my desktop library site closed last year I spent several days at my old VITA site doing TWO returns and "practicing" for the upcoming year. I did the same today at that VITA site and feel I am ready to go.

My site is a public library (two days a week) and they are not staffed well enough to take appointments for me. My other two days a week are at a church site and a senior center site and, as you say, they have the ability to prioritize their appointments. The senior center maintains a "wait list" of nearby residents in the event a client does not show and hopefully the waiting client can get there quickly. Seems to work with some success.

Have fun starting Friday or whenever next week. :wink:
Tom D.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Does one have to be an AARP member to work as an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide?
Gordon
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

gkaplan wrote:Does one have to be an AARP member to work as an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide?
no, one does not have to be a member to volunteer or to use the service.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Thanks for the quick response.
Gordon
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I volunteer also out of a govt. aided low income benefit service office What we don't do is to file a return with capital gains (1099B). I assume that is because anyone with capital gains, probably aren't low income anyway.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

tomd37 wrote:Jim,

I am starting TWO this year for the first time. After my desktop library site closed last year I spent several days at my old VITA site doing TWO returns and "practicing" for the upcoming year. I did the same today at that VITA site and feel I am ready to go.
You might want to be prepared to do TW Desktop in addition just in case.........We've been on TWO for the last 2 yrs.
Sometimes the TWO server doesn't want to participate and we've had to send folks away because we didn't know how long it would be down. Fortunately, overall, it wasn't bad but it can happen.
Topic Author
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Thanks to all who responded.

Special thanks to jebmke for personal feedback.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley