Scottrade No load no transaction fee mutual fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ao0680

Scottrade No load no transaction fee mutual fund

Post by ao0680 »

Can anyone suggest "no load", "no transaction fee" mutual fund to buy from Scottrade? I would like to invest $3K. Thanks
livesoft

Re: Scottrade No load no transaction fee mutual fund

Post by livesoft »

Transfer to another broker where there are plenty of these funds. For example, Schwab has lots of NTF index funds with low expense ratios and low initial minimums. Vanguard has some, too.

Ditch Scottrade now while it is easy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

ao0680 wrote:Can anyone suggest "no load", "no transaction fee" mutual fund to buy from Scottrade? I would like to invest $3K. Thanks
Asking portfolio question
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
This will get you best answer or getting started
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_Started
John
Topic Author
ao0680

Post by ao0680 »

Thank you livesoft for the advice but if I must use Scottrade, are there any options?

John, thank you for the links, I’m going thru those and preparing for the big question “Protfolio question” but meantime I wanted to find out if I can buy any NTF and NL funds via Scottrade.
Toons

Post by Toons »

ao0680 wrote:Thank you livesoft for the advice but if I must use Scottrade, are there any options?

John, thank you for the links, I’m going thru those and preparing for the big question “Protfolio question” but meantime I wanted to find out if I can buy any NTF and NL funds via Scottrade.
You can go to Scott website and search for no load ntf funds with their mutual fund
screener
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch »

I have not bought a mutual fund but in their mutual fund screener they have a large number of Vanguard funds available including total stock market, etc. Alternatively you can buy an ETF that covers what you want to invest in such as VTI for total stock market. I have been very happy with Scottrade.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

You are better off buying etf since they don't offer many index funds or low cost funds. Or pay $17 to get yourself a vanguard fund if you want mutual fund only. My nephew has an S&P index fund through them but the exp ratio is around 0.30%.
Topic Author
ao0680

Post by ao0680 »

Thanks for great advise everyone, I have to look up ETF’s they offer.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

ao0680 wrote:Thanks for great advise everyone, I have to look up ETF’s they offer.
They will have any ETF, but you'll pay a transaction fee ($7). Cheaper than a non-NTF mutual fund, though. Remember that NTF funds will usually make you pay some other way, like 12b-1 fees.

Brian