TurboTax Glitch [Importing Vanguard 1099-DIV]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jjustice

TurboTax Glitch [Importing Vanguard 1099-DIV]

Post by jjustice »

I found that when I imported 1099-DIV information from Vanguard to TurboTax, I had an error concerning exempt interest. Nothing I could enter satisfied it. I finally deleted Schedule B (Go back to "Home" and you find the option to delete forms) and re-entered by hand only relevant information from Vanguard's 1099-DIVs. The error did not reappear upon review. It's some glitch with how TurboTax reads Vanguard's imports of 1099-DIV information.
John
Sidney

Re: TurboTax Glitch

Post by Sidney »

What was the error?
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Topic Author
jjustice

Post by jjustice »

It would ask for a state ID. When you tried something, then it would ask for an amount. When you do it by hand, do not put 0.00 into boxes that are zero. At least I did not when I did it by hand and successfully passed review. I spent way too much time trying to pass the review before deleting and entering by hand.
John
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I've never been comfortable allowing tax software to import my data because I feel that it removes me one step further from understanding what is going on behind the scenes. I need that understanding to know how to minimize my tax liability so I manually enter all data into Turbo Tax. Doing that and then reviewing the final return in detail helps me have a good handle on what impact the numbers are having on the final result.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

FrugalInvestor wrote:I've never been comfortable allowing tax software to import my data because I feel that it removes me one step further from understanding what is going on behind the scenes.
Same here. Only time I did it was one year when I had an cashless NQ option exercise that ended up with a long list of transactions (net near zero CG). It was the only Sched. D inputs so I was able to reconcile the Sales values on Sched D to the 1099-B easily (always a good practice).
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Topic Author
jjustice

Post by jjustice »

Well, the import gave the same values that I later hand entered. So I guess that provided a double-check. Nothing was wrong with the import. What we had was a failure to communicate (Cool Hand Luke).
John
gd

Post by gd »

You can fix the TT problem in the Vanguard downloaded data by deleting any 0.00 in box 10, the exempt-interest dividends amount, and leaving that box blank. I'd recommend just not downloading Vanguard's 1099-DIV; mine labelled all the several funds as just "VANGUARD". I'd guess this is a TT bug where any text, even 0, is seen as an indication of exempt interest requiring a state to be entered.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

gd wrote:You can fix the TT problem in the Vanguard downloaded data by deleting any 0.00 in box 10, the exempt-interest dividends amount, and leaving that box blank. I'd recommend just not downloading Vanguard's 1099-DIV; mine labelled all the several funds as just "VANGUARD". I'd guess this is a TT bug where any text, even 0, is seen as an indication of exempt interest requiring a state to be entered.
It's Vanguard's bug. The same thing appears in H&R Block. If you downloaded on Thursday, you got the fund names, but the tax-exempt funds didn't show up. They then fixed it so everything downloaded as Vanguard

Old:

1099-DIV
1st (Fund Name) xxxx
2nd (Fund Name)xxxx
3rd (Fund Name)xxxx
4th (Fund Name)xxxx

1099-B
shares Fund Name
shares Fund Name
shares Fund Name

New:

Dividend Income (1099-DIV)
VANGUARD -
VANGUARD $xxxx
VANGUARD $xxxx
VANGUARD -
VANGUARD $xxxx
VANGUARD $xxxx

Stock Sales (1099-B)
PHONE EXCH TO PRIME MM $xxxx
SELL ELECTRONIC BANK TRANSFER $xxxx
SELL ELECTRONIC BANK TRANSFER $xxxx.
gd

Post by gd »

I think I confused my response with the poorly-placed comment about uninformative fund names. My TT bug claim was about box 10 only; I can make my TT Deluxe (download) insist any fund is tax exempt and demand a state code during the final error check, or not, by putting 0.00 into box 10 or leaving it blank. I've done this with a manual test entry having nothing but 0.00s in all boxes; with box 10 as 0.00 error check flags it as needing tax-exemption information, blank box 10 is ok.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

jjustice wrote:It's some glitch with how TurboTax reads Vanguard's imports of 1099-DIV information.

Ran into the same / similar problem. It's not related specially to Vanguard's import of 1099-DIV info. Turbo Tax downloaded info from a legacy account I have with Ed Jones. Same problem. A zero was imported and the block should have been blank. A delightful time was had by all until I found a Turbo Tax employee on the help desk who had just recently spent three hours running through their software to find the glitch.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

gd wrote:You can fix the TT problem in the Vanguard downloaded data by deleting any 0.00 in box 10, the exempt-interest dividends amount, and leaving that box blank. I'd recommend just not downloading Vanguard's 1099-DIV; mine labelled all the several funds as just "VANGUARD". I'd guess this is a TT bug where any text, even 0, is seen as an indication of exempt interest requiring a state to be entered.
The same issue exists in other places. I downloaded a 1099-DIV for Total Stock Market, and when TurboTax got to Form 1116, it asked me what country I paid the $0.00 of foreign tax to.
Wiki David Grabiner