Problems logging into Treasury Direct?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
convert949

Problems logging into Treasury Direct?

Post by convert949 »

Has anyone else had problems logging in to TD this morning? I tried to check a recent I bond purchase and got a message that the server was "overloaded".
Rainier

Re: Problems logging into Treasury Direct?

Post by Rainier »

Looks like the server is overloaded.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Yes, it's down.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

It's Mel's fault. Too many people trying to buy I bonds at the end of the month. :)
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

sscritic wrote:It's Mel's fault. Too many people trying to buy I bonds at the end of the month. :)
Don't understand the rush to buy I-Bonds at this time. They're only paying 1.76% and inflation has been negative for the past 3 months. There's a good chance the next component will be 0%, thus you'd earn only 0.88% interest for the 1st year. I will wait until April when I know the combined rate (1.76% + ???%) for the next year before I decide to buy more I-Bonds.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I understand that funds may not be available until the end of a month. However, it is a good idea to stay away from the rush hour traffic on LA highways if possible. -:)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

sscritic wrote:It's Mel's fault. Too many people trying to buy I bonds at the end of the month. :)
At least I'm not one of the folks clogging up the system by trying to buy I Bonds at this time, since I don't use TD. However, I certainly would be in line if they'd bring back those good old paper I Bonds. :D
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Mel Lindauer wrote:At least I'm not one of the folks clogging up the system by trying to buy I Bonds at this time, since I don't use TD. However, I certainly would be in line if they'd bring back those good old paper I Bonds. :D
What would Bond, Mel iBond do with all the cash now that he can no longer purchase paper I bonds?
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

It's back up, by the way.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Yes, I just bought my $10K for the year. It showed the purchase date as 1/28.

In twelve months I can count it as part of my emergency fund.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

HueyLD wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:At least I'm not one of the folks clogging up the system by trying to buy I Bonds at this time, since I don't use TD. However, I certainly would be in line if they'd bring back those good old paper I Bonds. :D
What would Bond, Mel iBond do with all the cash now that he can no longer purchase paper I bonds?
You can still buy $5,000 in paper I-Bonds per year via your tax refund. This is in addition to the $10k (per person) you can buy electronically.
AgAuMoney

Post by AgAuMoney »

crowd79 wrote: Don't understand the rush to buy I-Bonds at this time. They're only paying 1.76% and inflation has been negative for the past 3 months. There's a good chance the next component will be 0%, thus you'd earn only 0.88% interest for the 1st year. I will wait until April when I know the combined rate (1.76% + ???%) for the next year before I decide to buy more I-Bonds.
Likewise. And unless there is a drastic change by May, I would expect the base rate to stay at 0%.