How did you do for 2012 Credit Card Rewards?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Carl53

Re: How did you do for 2012 Credit Card Rewards?

Post by Carl53 »

In general, I'm not a fan of travel points in lieu of cash back. Offering companies can change the rules before you use them and unless you have particular travel planned the points might be unused for some time leaving them subject to redemption inflation. Once I retired from full time work, the points accumulation pretty much ceased. I've got airline points with companies that are no longer sufficient for flights. I've got Hilton Honors points that have been degraded in value. I may use them up this winter. With cash back its there and there is no particular reason to leave it in the account except to meet the minimum redemption amount on those accounts with a minimum. Those with a minimum, it is usually just $25. They may change the rules, like American Express Blue Preferred, but I am not subject to losing much unless they cancel my card. Even then, there is not much to lose since I do not allow it to accumulate.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

I wonder if the credit card rewards will fade away. This article mentions retailers being able to charge a few percent beginning later this month for cc purchases. It is implied that rewards cards could be hit with higher surcharges. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/retailers ... 39837.html
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

Carl53 wrote:In general, I'm not a fan of travel points in lieu of cash back. Offering companies can change the rules before you use them and unless you have particular travel planned the points might be unused for some time leaving them subject to redemption inflation. Once I retired from full time work, the points accumulation pretty much ceased. I've got airline points with companies that are no longer sufficient for flights. I've got Hilton Honors points that have been degraded in value. I may use them up this winter. With cash back its there and there is no particular reason to leave it in the account except to meet the minimum redemption amount on those accounts with a minimum. Those with a minimum, it is usually just $25. They may change the rules, like American Express Blue Preferred, but I am not subject to losing much unless they cancel my card. Even then, there is not much to lose since I do not allow it to accumulate.
It depends what card you have. For example, with Chase Sapphire Preferred you earn double points on travel and restaurants and can redeem them for cash back or transfer them at1:1 to SW, United, British Air, Marriott, Korea Air, Hyatt, etc or you can book any travel at a 20% discount when using points (So a $100 Delta flight would cost 8,000 points rather than 10,000). Lots of options with this card to prevent what you are talking about.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Amex Blue Preferred: $1925 (less $75 annual fee, but obviously worth it)
Amazon VISA: $572
Discover: $50

My wife uses Amex points (I don't personally care for it, but it's a long story). Anyway, she has a gazillion points that we never seem to use.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.