a john c. bogle book for a lad

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby fidelio » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:12 am

my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad, and he has shown some interest in money and investments recently. he has a b.f.a. but little or no background in economics or markets. he actually sat through a lengthy exposition of the index funds in which i have my roth ira invested. i am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of mr. bogle's books for me to give him -- he seems to have written about 40! what we need here is something pretty introductory, on investing. i'm trying to steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker, and put him on a path of eventually being able to confidently direct his own investment life .... thanks!!
fidelio
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 4 May 2008

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby og15F1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:21 am

I can't believe there are no answers to this

Without a doubt I'd recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Commo ... 0470102101

It's short and simple, but powerful

Purchase it through the Amazon.com link on this page
User avatar
og15F1
 
Posts: 316
Joined: 8 Dec 2010

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby Sunflower » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 am

The book I have recommended and continue to recommend is the Coffeehouse Investor, a very straightforward and easy read. Although not written by Bogle it's by Bill Schultheis -- very much a Boglehead and member here. It's been recently updated.
User avatar
Sunflower
 
Posts: 350
Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Location: Ess Eff, CA

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby Fallible » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 am

og15F1 wrote:I can't believe there are no answers to this

Without a doubt I'd recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Commo ... 0470102101

It's short and simple, but powerful

Purchase it through the Amazon.com link on this page


Agreed. A great book for investors just starting out and for experienced investors needing a reminder of the basics. :thumbsup
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." ~ Richard Feynman
User avatar
Fallible
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Location: At home everywhere and nowhere.

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby buzzlight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Great book, got it from local library and finished it. Now I plan to buy it and keep it For life.
buzzlight
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 30 Nov 2011

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby asset_chaos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Bogle's "little" book is great. You might also consider William Bernstein's "4 Pillars of Investing" http://www.efficientfrontier.com/t4poi/t4poi.htm, which is also good and is specifically aimed at people like your son.
Regards, | | Guy
asset_chaos
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby leo383 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 pm

I suggest Random Walk by Malkiel, Coffeehouse by Schulteis, and the investment books by Andrew Tobias.

Bogle's books, imo, are a little heavy for beginners. Don't want to frighten him off. :happy
leo383
 
Posts: 445
Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Location: Durham, NC

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby Taylor Larimore » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Fidelio:
I am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of Mr. Bogle's books for me to give him.

I own all of Mr. Bogle's books. Based on the information you provided, Mr. Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing should be ideal and will "steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker." This is Mr. Bogle's shortest book but it is chock-full of common sense advice like this:

Excerpts from The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 19093
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Location: Miami FL

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby fidelio » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm

thanks all. you'll be happy to know i gave the lad the little red book of common sense investing, which he stated he would read. now all he needs is something to invest .....
fidelio
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 4 May 2008

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby Fallible » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:18 pm

fidelio wrote:thanks all. you'll be happy to know i gave the lad the little red book of common sense investing, which he stated he would read. now all he needs is something to invest .....


The book will immediately introduce him to Warren Buffett ("investing is simple but not easy") and since Buffett is always worth a read, maybe you could have a Buffett book ready to recommend to him after "Common Sense." Just a suggestion.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." ~ Richard Feynman
User avatar
Fallible
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Location: At home everywhere and nowhere.

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby SurfCityBill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm

fidelio wrote:my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad,


Not to pick on you but I found your choice of words amusing. The implication being that musicians by nature are not very bright.
User avatar
SurfCityBill
 
Posts: 323
Joined: 1 May 2012
Location: Southern California

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby fidelio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:24 am

well, i have the right, having served in the bar bands in the 70s.

perhaps you haven't heard some of the classic musician tales:

"what is a bass player w/o a girlfriend?"
homeless

"how do you know if the stage is level?"
drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth equally.

etc.
fidelio
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 4 May 2008

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby c00kie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 am

SurfCityBill wrote:
fidelio wrote:my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad,


Not to pick on you but I found your choice of words amusing. The implication being that musicians by nature are not very bright.


Yes, I got quite a chuckle on that one also.

Cookie
Cookie
User avatar
c00kie
 
Posts: 93
Joined: 12 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby mgcfo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 am

In addition to the above, Millionaire Teacher is a great read.
mgcfo
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 7 Feb 2013

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby abuss368 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:Fidelio:
I am hoping a few bogleheads will step forward and suggest one of Mr. Bogle's books for me to give him.

I own all of Mr. Bogle's books. Based on the information you provided, Mr. Bogle's Little Book of Common Sense Investing should be ideal and will "steer him away from his mother's evil full-price broker." This is Mr. Bogle's shortest book but it is chock-full of common sense advice like this:

Excerpts from The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Best wishes.
Taylor


I too have all of Mr. Bogle's books. This would be my recommendation as well. This book is one of my favorite.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
User avatar
abuss368
 
Posts: 5707
Joined: 3 Aug 2009
Location: At the Beach

Re: a john c. bogle book for a lad

Postby fidelio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:47 pm

c00kie wrote:
SurfCityBill wrote:
fidelio wrote:my son is a 25-year-old musician, but a bright lad,


Not to pick on you but I found your choice of words amusing. The implication being that musicians by nature are not very bright.


Yes, I got quite a chuckle on that one also.

Cookie


well, in reality, he's classically trained, so not at all a numskull like his dad ....
fidelio
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 4 May 2008


Return to Investing - Theory, News & General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curo, Dancer, etarini, FAST Enterprise [Crawler], Grasshopper, JTcheek, StarbuxInvestor, villars and 49 guests