What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby gkaplan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I currently am reading Heads You Lose by Lisa Lutz and David Hayward. Lutz is the author of the hysterically dysfunctional Spellman family series. Hayward is a poet and winner of the Pushcart Prize. Lutz wrote the first chapter, then emailed Hayward, with whom she had a previous personal involvement, and suggested they collaborate on the rest of the novel. Lutz would write the odd-numbered chapters, and Hayward would write the even-numbered chapters. They would not outline or discuss what they were working on. Each would read "blind" the chapter of the other. Neither author was allowed to undue a plot development established by the other.

Within each chapter are footnotes of comments made by the reading author to the text of the writing author. The authors also exchanged brief messages when a chapter was completed. These comments appear at the end of each chapter.

The result of this arrangement is that often the narrative of the novel is secondary to, and less interesting than, the biting comments and messages the authors make to each other. The novel is interesting. The interchange is more interesting.
Gordon
gkaplan
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Fallible » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm

gkaplan wrote:I currently am reading Heads You Lose by Lisa Lutz and David Hayward. Lutz is the author of the hysterically dysfunctional Spellman family series. Hayward is a poet and winner of the Pushcart Prize. Lutz wrote the first chapter, then emailed Hayward, with whom she had a previous personal involvement, and suggested they collaborate on the rest of the novel. Lutz would write the odd-numbered chapters, and Hayward would write the even-numbered chapters. They would not outline or discuss what they were working on. Each would read "blind" the chapter of the other. Neither author was allowed to undue a plot development established by the other.

Within each chapter are footnotes of comments made by the reading author to the text of the writing author. The authors also exchanged brief messages when a chapter was completed. These comments appear at the end of each chapter.

The result of this arrangement is that often the narrative of the novel is secondary to, and less interesting than, the biting comments and messages the authors make to each other. The novel is interesting. The interchange is more interesting.


I'll make a note to read this apparently novel approach to a novel, but I can see where the interchange could be of greater interest. Let us know what you think after you finish it. Thanks.
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." -William James
Fallible
 
Posts: 3910
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby chaz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm

I finished "The Lion's Game" by Nelson DeMille (926 pages) - well written novel.

Next is "A Certain Justice" by John Lescroart, another of my favorite authors. This one is 600 pages long.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 13259
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby protagonist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am

I just started Shantaram as per recommendation of a number of posters here. I only read the first chapter, and I am already hooked.
protagonist
 
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby SurfCityBill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 pm

The Fall of Rome

The Sword of Attila


By Michael Curtis Ford

Both excellent choices for historical fiction. Read Attila first.
User avatar
SurfCityBill
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby bengal22 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Enjoying the 2nd book of John LeCarre's Karla Trilogy - The Honourable Schoolboy. Great book about realistic spies(I assume).
User avatar
bengal22
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Valuethinker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 pm

bengal22 wrote:Enjoying the 2nd book of John LeCarre's Karla Trilogy - The Honourable Schoolboy. Great book about realistic spies(I assume).


And then you have the magnificent Sir Alec Guinness as Smiley to look forward to in 'Tinker tailor Soldier Spy' and 'Smiley's People'.

The Jeremy Irons EDIT: Gary Oldman movie of TTSP was not supposed to be too bad either, but Guinness defined the role.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker
 
Posts: 25166
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby LocalHero » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 am

"The Lonely Silver Rain" by John D. MacDonald, the 21st and last Travis McGee novel. I have read the previous 20.

"The Great Agnostic - Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought" by Susan Jacoby.

Just starting on both.

I recently finished "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe" by Charles Yu. It has an interesting premise, the protagonist lives in a "time capsule" and gets other time travelers out of jams for a living. And then of course gets himself into a jam. The story never really grabbed me so not much of a recommendation.

I also recently read "Mortality" by Christopher Hitchens. This is an interesting look at dying from a personal perspective. I liked it.

JB
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green
LocalHero
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:44 am
Location: Iowa

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Bungo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:40 am

I'm about halfway through Paris 1919: Six Months that Changed the World, a good but somewhat dry book about the peace negotiations following World War I. It is arranged by topic, e.g. separate chapters on Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, and all the other new and existing nations that were directly involved or affected by border changes and other treaty outcomes. This is a bit confusing at first because the various chapters necessarily allude to events not yet discussed, but trying to lay it out in a chronological narrative would probably be much harder to follow as so much was happening simultaneously. The book is tightly focused, only sparingly discussing events before or after 1919, and only when doing so sheds light on the importance of the decisions being made. It's a good book to read after a WWI history such as A World Undone, which was rather perfunctory regarding the aftermath of the war.

As usual, more maps would have been welcome. The ones that were included are OK (but not great - sometimes even contradicting the text) for showing borders before and after the Great War, but it would have been nice to see how they compare with today's borders.

Also reading The Grapes of Wrath for the second time - I previously read it in 1992 and had forgotten most of it. It's good so far, although a bit preachier than I remembered. I won't say much about the perspective it lends to our recent economic malaise, except that "Great Recession" and other allusions to the 1930s ring pretty hollow when you read about the real thing.
Bungo
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby bengal22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 am

Valuethinker wrote:
bengal22 wrote:Enjoying the 2nd book of John LeCarre's Karla Trilogy - The Honourable Schoolboy. Great book about realistic spies(I assume).


And then you have the magnificent Sir Alec Guinness as Smiley to look forward to in 'Tinker tailor Soldier Spy' and 'Smiley's People'.

The Jeremy Irons movie of TTSP was not supposed to be too bad either, but Guinness defined the role.


I thought the Gary Oldham TTSS was pretty good as well.
User avatar
bengal22
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby supersharpie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 am

Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 by Anne Applebaum

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Curtain-Crus ... on+curtain

Required reading for anyone with an interest in the Cold War!
supersharpie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby fickle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 pm

My bedtime reading has been rereading The Lyttelton Hart-Davis Letters.

Now that I'm older, I appreciate an entirely different slant in these letters, and I just love George (Lyttelton). When I was younger, I was wow'd by Hart-Davis's lifestyle, but now it is George I adore. Wikipedia has an entry on the book, and the "Selected Letters" are a good intro (and have footnotes more geared to people less than 70 years old and towards Americans).
fickle
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Nahum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I am currently reading The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
User avatar
Nahum
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: New York

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby randomwalk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am

I just finished The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima.

Now reading The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima, the final book in Mishima's masterpiece tetralogy, The Sea of Fertility.
User avatar
randomwalk
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Valuethinker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
bengal22 wrote:Enjoying the 2nd book of John LeCarre's Karla Trilogy - The Honourable Schoolboy. Great book about realistic spies(I assume).


And then you have the magnificent Sir Alec Guinness as Smiley to look forward to in 'Tinker tailor Soldier Spy' and 'Smiley's People'.

The Jeremy Irons movie of TTSP was not supposed to be too bad either, but Guinness defined the role.


I thought the Gary Oldham TTSS was pretty good as well.


mea culpa
Valuethinker
 
Posts: 25166
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Valuethinker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:32 pm

LocalHero wrote:"The Lonely Silver Rain" by John D. MacDonald, the 21st and last Travis McGee novel. I have read the previous 20.


Well done you! I have heard they are not of even quality, but he really was Chandler's inheritor.

I recently finished "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe" by Charles Yu. It has an interesting premise, the protagonist lives in a "time capsule" and gets other time travelers out of jams for a living. And then of course gets himself into a jam. The story never really grabbed me so not much of a recommendation.


OK there is a hilarious Marvin Gardener 'The Incredible Umbrella'. Out of print. Character keeps falling into Victorian novels, and he meets 'Dr. W and Mr. H' in, of all things, Flatland...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/mar ... brella.htm

My favourite time travel novel of all time is 'Lest Darkness Fall' by L Sprague de Camp (American archaeologist winds up trying to save 5th century Rome from barbarian invasion). And there is Poul Anderson's 'Time Patrol'. And Fritz Leiber's 'The Big Time' about a war between 2 forces trying to change time.

Connie Willis has done some good stuff in the genre.
Valuethinker
 
Posts: 25166
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby gkaplan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm

I just finished Kinsey and Me. This a compilation of short stories by Sue Grafton. The stories in the first half of the volume, some of which have been published in crime novel anthologies or in periodicals, feature the Kinsey Milhone character of her alphabet mysteries. The second half stories are not mysteries at all. The central character is Kit Blue as Sue Grafton, and the stories mirror the life Grafton experienced growing up with alcoholic parents.

I just started The Innocent, the second novel in a series by Taylor Stevens that features Vanessa Michael Munroe.
Gordon
gkaplan
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby randomwalk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am

I just finished The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima, the final book in Mishima's masterpiece tetralogy, The Sea of Fertility.

Now reading Louis D. Brandeis by Melvin Urofsky.
User avatar
randomwalk
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Clark & Addison » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

After finding this board a couple of weeks ago, I bought The Bogleheads Guide to Investing and started it last night after finishing 14 Minutes by Alberto Salazar.
User avatar
Clark & Addison
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby ruralavalon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm

"The Lady in the Lake", by Raymond Chandler. Probably his best Phillip Marlowe detective story, in my opinion.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
ruralavalon
 
Posts: 4997
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby nisiprius » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 pm

gkaplan wrote:I just finished Kinsey and Me. This a compilation of short stories by Sue Grafton. The stories in the first half of the volume, some of which have been published in crime novel anthologies or in periodicals, feature the Kinsey Milhone character of her alphabet mysteries. The second half stories are not mysteries at all. The central character is Kit Blue as Sue Grafton, and the stories mirror the life Grafton experienced growing up with alcoholic parents.
It's on my To Read list, but if you wouldn't mind... does she ever reveal whether she actually lives in a tiny but meticulously-designed, efficient, well-organized, nautically-themed apartment?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 25760
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby gkaplan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm

nisiprius wrote:
gkaplan wrote:I just finished Kinsey and Me. This a compilation of short stories by Sue Grafton. The stories in the first half of the volume, some of which have been published in crime novel anthologies or in periodicals, feature the Kinsey Milhone character of her alphabet mysteries. The second half stories are not mysteries at all. The central character is Kit Blue as Sue Grafton, and the stories mirror the life Grafton experienced growing up with alcoholic parents.
It's on my To Read list, but if you wouldn't mind... does she ever reveal whether she actually lives in a tiny but meticulously-designed, efficient, well-organized, nautically-themed apartment?


If she did, I must have overlooked it.
Gordon
gkaplan
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Igglesman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

Completed the two books back-to-back:

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives - Leonard Mlodinow

The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail — but Some Don't - Nate Silver

Very similar books. I was very disappointed in the second book. Not sure Nate has the education or the background to present a book of statistical methods. His analysis of what we "bogleheads" do was half right...but he did not see all the financial pundits as just noise.

As a clarification, I am a big fan of Nate...but some of the air was let out of the balloon with his book. (not a political statement).
User avatar
Igglesman
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Igglesman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Late Bloomer Millionaires: A Financial Story and Investment Guide for Late Starters - Dan Robertson, Steve Schullo

Completed this book while on vacation. Enjoyed the book ...was difficult to read through all the investment mistakes which were made along the way... I can certainly identify with them... I made many of the same mistakes.

I suggest this as a must-read for young investors trying to avoid all the mistakes which many of us made.

Five stars.
User avatar
Igglesman
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Minot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

nisiprius wrote:All of that organization, that system, and that machinery. Now go back to the envelope and the sheet of paper. Is he saying that in 1912, Sears Roebuck & Co. had not yet invented the order blank?

The 1912 Sears, Roebuck Catalogue can be found at http://archive.org/stream/catalogno12400sear#page/n7/mode/2up . Instructions for ordering are at the bottom of the first page, and are worth reading. Note that it mentions an order blank; you can see it if you move the slider (at bottom left of window) all the way to the left, which will give you the cover, then click on the arrow at bottom right and the "page" will flip to show you the order blank.

I'm guessing that the order blank got used for the first order; subsequent orders required letters. I'm also guessing that often more than one person ordered from the same catalogue.
Minot
Minot
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby surfer1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Just discovered 2x speed on the iPod for audio books, now reading:

The Singularity Is Near - interesting prognostication on the future of technology, being immortal around 2045, rise of robots, smart AI, lots of technical stats and Moore's law extrapolations

The Brain That Changes Itself - great book on neuroplasticity and the potential of the brain, technical but easy read
surfer1
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby magician » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Scams and Fantasies (with cards), by Darwin Ortiz.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
User avatar
magician
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 am
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby camontgo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 am

Just finished Rabbit Redux by John Updike. I liked it better than Rabbit Run. I am hoping to work through the rest of the tetralogy this year.

I am now reading The Missing Risk Premium by Falkenstein. It is interesting to read an attack on standard finance theory by someone who is trained in modern finance. I doubt he'll convince me, but I think some of the stuff on Falkenstein's blog is thought provoking.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
User avatar
camontgo
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby randomwalk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am

I just finished Louis D. Brandeis by Melvin Urofsky.

Now reading Baltasar and Blimunda by Jose Saramago.
User avatar
randomwalk
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby BenBritt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 am

Truman by David McCullough and The Last Child by John Hart.
BenBritt
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Bungo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

camontgo wrote:Just finished Rabbit Redux by John Updike. I liked it better than Rabbit Run. I am hoping to work through the rest of the tetralogy this year.

I read all four Rabbit books a few years ago. The first two were OK and it's important to have read them in order to fully appreciate the last two, but I thought Rabbit Is Rich and Rabbit at Rest were much better books; while reading them, I could finally understand why Updike's writing is so highly regarded. There's also a novella, Rabbit Remembered, which was written in 2001 but I haven't tracked down yet.
Bungo
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 am

"Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
Blues
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Austintatious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 am

The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, William Manchester's Vol. 3 of his "The Last Lion" work on the life and times of English Prime Minister Winston Churchill, largely completed by Paul Reid after Manchester's death. You'll be fighting the war from the perspective of the English people and from the personal perspective of Churchill. It's an outstanding read, filling in much interesting detail around the bits and pieces of WWII that I already knew of. Little, Brown and Company, 2012. 1053 pages. $40 cover price, but you can get it for less.
Austintatious
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby randomwalk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 am

Austintatious wrote:The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, William Manchester's Vol. 3 of his "The Last Lion" work on the life and times of English Prime Minister Winston Churchill, largely completed by Paul Reid after Manchester's death. You'll be fighting the war from the perspective of the English people and from the personal perspective of Churchill. It's an outstanding read, filling in much interesting detail around the bits and pieces of WWII that I already knew of. Little, Brown and Company, 2012. 1053 pages. $40 cover price, but you can get it for less.

Have you read the first two volumes? I ordered the boxed set a few months ago and am looking forward to reading all three... someday.
User avatar
randomwalk
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 am

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby supersharpie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am

I am on a 20th Century Russian/Eastern European history kick:

Just finished:

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Curtain-Crus ... 0385515693

Am half way through:

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholas-Alexandr ... 0345438310

Also just started:

http://www.amazon.com/Khrushchev-Man-Hi ... 0393324842

All fine reads IMO, the Applebaum book provided great insight into Eastern Europe's post-war submission to the USSR.
supersharpie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby VictoriaF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm

A.S. Byatt, The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye. I listened to it as an audiobook, hope it counts :-). It's an enchanting fairy tale for adults, it's like nothing else I've read. I started it, because someone I know has recently quoted from another Byatt's book I liked, Possession. Now, I am compelled to read all her other books.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
User avatar
VictoriaF
 
Posts: 12368
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Austintatious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 pm

randomwalk wrote:
Austintatious wrote:The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, William Manchester's Vol. 3 of his "The Last Lion" work on the life and times of English Prime Minister Winston Churchill, largely completed by Paul Reid after Manchester's death. You'll be fighting the war from the perspective of the English people and from the personal perspective of Churchill. It's an outstanding read, filling in much interesting detail around the bits and pieces of WWII that I already knew of. Little, Brown and Company, 2012. 1053 pages. $40 cover price, but you can get it for less.

Have you read the first two volumes? I ordered the boxed set a few months ago and am looking forward to reading all three... someday.


I'm certain that you made the right choice in ordering the set. No, I've not read the first two volumes and I'm regretting it. If the first two are anywhere near as long as the last volume, it will be a serious undertaking, but well worthwhile, I'm sure.
Austintatious
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Austintatious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm

supersharpie wrote:I am on a 20th Century Russian/Eastern European history kick:

Just finished:

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Curtain-Crus ... 0385515693

Am half way through:

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholas-Alexandr ... 0345438310

Also just started:

http://www.amazon.com/Khrushchev-Man-Hi ... 0393324842

All fine reads IMO, the Applebaum book provided great insight into Eastern Europe's post-war submission to the USSR.


Though I'm generally a non-fiction reader, I'll occasionally try a novel. I came across Alan Furst a few years ago. If you don't know his work, he's done a series of novels dealing with the years just prior to and during WWII. You mention Eastern Europe, the setting for most of his novels, along with France (Paris is his favorite city.). I found them to be generally historically correct, and fun reads. Lots of intrigue, suspense, spies and bad guys ( the Nazis, primarily) stories. He's a good writer.
Austintatious
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby bengal22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 pm

camontgo wrote:Just finished Rabbit Redux by John Updike. I liked it better than Rabbit Run. I am hoping to work through the rest of the tetralogy this year.

I am now reading The Missing Risk Premium by Falkenstein. It is interesting to read an attack on standard finance theory by someone who is trained in modern finance. I doubt he'll convince me, but I think some of the stuff on Falkenstein's blog is thought provoking.


Always loved John Updike's novel. If you like him you will like Philip Roth as well. Great American novelists they are.
User avatar
bengal22
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby nisiprius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Just finished To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War by Jeff Shaara.

3/4 of the way through Spacehounds of IPC, by E. E. "Doc" Smith. Going crazy trying to figure out how much of his characters' talk is legitimate recording of period slang that didn't make it into serious mainstream literature, and how much of it is just him. The character Stevens' girlfriend says to him "I am yours for life and for eternity." Stevens replies:
"You're right, sweetheart—everything will check out on zero, to nineteen decimals. I've been fighting windmills and I've been scared sick—but how was I to think that a wonder-girl like you could ever love a mutt like me? You certainly are the gamest little partner a man ever had You're the world's straightest shooter, ace—you're a square brick if there ever was one.
Halfway through The Grim Smile of the Five Towns, by Arnold Bennett. Definitely has its moments but maybe just a little bit too precious and whimsical.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 25760
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Bungo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:Just finished To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War by Jeff Shaara.

How did you like it? I enjoyed his Killer Angels novel about Gettysburg, and I have been on a WWI kick lately, so To the Last Man is on my radar screen.
Bungo
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby nisiprius » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Bungo wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Just finished To the Last Man: A Novel of the First World War by Jeff Shaara.
How did you like it? I enjoyed his Killer Angels novel about Gettysburg, and I have been on a WWI kick lately, so To the Last Man is on my radar screen.
I liked it. I learned some history. If you're interested in WWI and already know you like Shaara, I'd definitely read it, though if you're a WWI buff you may already know the history. BTW The Killer Angels isn't by Jeff Shaara; it's by his father, Michael Shaara.

I thought it had a little bit of a problem with being disjointed. The first half of the book is dwells heavily on aviators Raoul Lufbery and Manfred von Richthofen, to the point where it is almost "about" them, and then they both get killed, leaving you with a second half of the book that doesn't have too many connections to the first half.

I wish he'd do more in the way of citing sources; in one place he has a superior officer (whom he names, but whose name I've already forgotten) ordering Richthofen to paint his plane red, the whole plane (not just the nose like Boelcke). I've since Googled for this story but haven't found it).

He does have a premise, which is that the English and French have downplayed the American role, and that they would not have won the war without the United States.

I was reading it on a Kindle (Fire) and it drives me bananas that publishers haven't figured out how to put high-res images in their books, and none of the maps were very readable.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 25760
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Bungo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

nisiprius wrote:I liked it. I learned some history. If you're interested in WWI and already know you like Shaara, I'd definitely read it, though if you're a WWI buff you may already know the history. BTW The Killer Angels isn't by Jeff Shaara; it's by his father, Michael Shaara.

Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting that there were two Shaaras, probably because I've only read the one book by either of them.

Regarding his premise about the American role, I haven't yet read widely enough to have an informed opinion on that. My impression is that all of the major powers were nearly exhausted by early 1918 when the Americans started showing up in large numbers, so they may well have decided the outcome, or at least the timing of the outcome. Had they entered the war earlier, they might have played a less noticeable role simply because their numbers were far smaller than those of the Europeans.

I have a Kindle from a few years ago, but have largely given up on it for various reasons, poor image quality certainly being one of them.
Bungo
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby nisiprius » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Bungo wrote:
nisiprius wrote:I liked it. I learned some history. If you're interested in WWI and already know you like Shaara, I'd definitely read it, though if you're a WWI buff you may already know the history. BTW The Killer Angels isn't by Jeff Shaara; it's by his father, Michael Shaara.
Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting that there were two Shaaras, probably because I've only read the one book by either of them.
If you liked The Killer Angels I think you will like Jeff Shaara's books. I think The Killer Angels was a touch more literary, story-telling, novelistic and Jeff's are a touch more factual and journalistic.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 25760
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm

"Hawaiian Antiquities"", by David Malo.

"Hawaiian Historical Legends", by W. D. Westervelt.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
ruralavalon
 
Posts: 4997
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby tacster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 pm

"The Grey Seas Under", by Farley Mowat. Great factual story about the operations of a North Atlantic rescue/salvage tug during the 1930's-40's. Hard to imagine what the crewmen endured, working in conditions from gales to hurricanes.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
tacster
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby fickle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Austintatious wrote:The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, William Manchester's Vol. 3 of his "The Last Lion" work on the life and times of English Prime Minister Winston Churchill, largely completed by Paul Reid after Manchester's death. You'll be fighting the war from the perspective of the English people and from the personal perspective of Churchill.


I just finished The Grand Alliance, the 3rd book in WC's series on WWII (I picked up a 1953 copy for pennies). Very interesting. I loved reading all his correspondence. A stroll through Amazon has bagged me most of the others for cheap.

Of all the famous people in history, I'd like to have lunch with WC. I'd promise not to ask a thing, just listen.
fickle
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby Austintatious » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm

fickle wrote:
Austintatious wrote:The Last Lion: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, William Manchester's Vol. 3 of his "The Last Lion" work on the life and times of English Prime Minister Winston Churchill, largely completed by Paul Reid after Manchester's death. You'll be fighting the war from the perspective of the English people and from the personal perspective of Churchill.


I just finished The Grand Alliance, the 3rd book in WC's series on WWII (I picked up a 1953 copy for pennies). Very interesting. I loved reading all his correspondence. A stroll through Amazon has bagged me most of the others for cheap.

Of all the famous people in history, I'd like to have lunch with WC. I'd promise not to ask a thing, just listen.


Certainly, you'd be hard pressed to find a more interesting luncheon companion, though I suspect that you'd be breaking that promise to not ask a thing - too many questions to ask of that man.
Austintatious
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Postby fickle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:22 pm

tacster wrote:"The Grey Seas Under", by Farley Mowat. Great factual story about the operations of a North Atlantic rescue/salvage tug during the 1930's-40's. Hard to imagine what the crewmen endured, working in conditions from gales to hurricanes.


Do pick up The Serpent's Coil. Just as good. I think I stayed up all night reading it. Who needs movies when you have such great writing?
fickle
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Consumer Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MC2014, rgarling and 43 guests