How much to spend on a new washer & dryer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Clearly_Irrational

How much to spend on a new washer & dryer

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

So our current washer and dryer are from the late 1980s. I've fixed them numerous times but frankly they're getting pretty worn out and given how old they are they're terrible energy hogs. I actually didn't even buy that set but got them when a roommate moved out in a hurry and left them behind around ten years ago.

My fiance and I received $800 as an early wedding present (the ceremony is in June) in order to help buy a new set. Currently I'm trying to figure out what we should purchase. We have the funds to purchase whatever we'd like up to and including ridiculously expensive ones but being a frugal type I'd like to make sure we get the best value for our money. Some goals for the new set in order of importance:

1) Work better than our current set at washing/drying laundry
2) Last a long time with low maintenance required
3) Use less energy in order to save money on operating expenses
4) Look nicer. Yes, they're in the garage but still the current ones are pretty ugly.
5) Additional features would be swell, our current ones are incredibly basic.

On the cheap end I could get a pair of Roper brand machines that are functional and reliable but not efficient, featureful or pretty:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387607-46-RTW46 ... g_rating|1
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

On the expensive end we could get a pair of Electrolux brand machines that do everything but rub your shoulders for you and save energy to boot:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_395130-2251-EIF ... ct_price|1
http://www.lowes.com/pd_395131-2251-EIM ... ct_price|1

Obviously we could get anything in between or buy used instead. The current plan is to find what we want then wait for a sale like the upcoming President's Day Sale to get them at a discount. (Lowe's normally has 15% of energy star models and 10% off normal models that day)

Would anyone care to share advice or their own purchasing experiences?
Taylor Larimore

Consumer Reports

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Clearly Irritional:

When I am about to buy a big ticket item, I nearly always go the library and ask for Consumer Reports. The August, 2012, issue has three pages with information and specific recommendations about various Washers and Dryers they have tested.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
texasdiver

Re: How much to spend on a new washer & dryer

Post by texasdiver »

If you are near a Costco they generally have the Whirlpool Duet washers and dryers which are made by Electrolux and mechanically the same as the Lowes models that you linked to (The Kenmore Elite front loads are also the same washer made by Electrolux). The controls and finishes are different between the brands but they are mechanically the same and all made by Electrolux. I think I got the set of Whirlpool Duets for about $1700 from Costco which is about $500 less than it would have cost at Lowes. I don't see them on the Costco web site anymore so I don't know if they are still in the stores or not.

I have been using these washers for 10 years. I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and they all do lots of sports so we have the machine running at least every other day. They are superb washers. I'd never go back to top loading machines.

As for dryers. Well, frankly dryers are dryers. There is a great difference between different washers but dryers pretty much all work the same. So they nail you for a lot of extra $$$ when you go to get the high end matching sets. If you don't care that they match then the most rational thing to do would be to buy a high end front loading washer and then some generic dryer. If you have natural gas then definitely get a gas dryer. That will save a lot of money over electricity.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

texasdiver wrote:If you are near a Costco they generally have the Whirlpool Duet washers and dryers which are made by Electrolux and mechanically the same as the Lowes models that you linked to (The Kenmore Elite front loads are also the same washer made by Electrolux). The controls and finishes are different between the brands but they are mechanically the same and all made by Electrolux. I think I got the set of Whirlpool Duets for about $1700 from Costco which is about $500 less than it would have cost at Lowes. I don't see them on the Costco web site anymore so I don't know if they are still in the stores or not.

I have been using these washers for 10 years. I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and they all do lots of sports so we have the machine running at least every other day. They are superb washers. I'd never go back to top loading machines.

As for dryers. Well, frankly dryers are dryers. There is a great difference between different washers but dryers pretty much all work the same. So they nail you for a lot of extra $$$ when you go to get the high end matching sets. If you don't care that they match then the most rational thing to do would be to buy a high end front loading washer and then some generic dryer. If you have natural gas then definitely get a gas dryer. That will save a lot of money over electricity.
PS....if you go to buy big ticket items at Lowes you can often sign up for a Lowes credit card and get an additional 10% off the purchase if you don't already have a Lowes card. Sears often does the same thing.
BigOil

Re: Consumer Reports

Post by BigOil »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Clearly Irritional:

When I am about to buy a big ticket item, I nearly always go the library and ask for Consumer Reports. The August, 2012, issue has three pages with information and specific recommendations about various Washers and Dryers they have tested.

Best wishes.
Taylor
+1

We have a top-shelf HE front load LG set from about 6 years ago. No problems, BUT be sure and wipe under and around the door gaskets and clean the little gaasket drainholes of lint etc. occasionally. Leave the washer door OPEN when not in use...or you may get mildew and stench! We bought it based on CR reviews. NG dryers are nice if you have the plumbing.

Might could have saved up-front by buying a little less fancy unit (fewer settings, smaller drum)--- but it's used so so so often, we went upscale...
Toons

Post by Toons »

Purchased Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowes about a year and a half ago, very efficient,no regrets very pleased.
Spent about 1500 for both maybe a little more
Like others have said open credit card get a discount :happy

http://www.lowes.com/Search=cabrio+wash ... rio+washer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

I don't know anything about appliances and have never researched them but the repair guy I use for my appliances said to buy the cheaper models because the parts that tend to break are all the same. Maybe he wanted me to buy the cheaper appliances so he would get more business or maybe he was being honest. Just my .02 cents.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

My last pair of washer dryer is a couple years ago.

About $350 each on sale at Home Depot.

Nothing fancy but gets clothes clean and dry.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
atfish

Post by atfish »

Toons wrote:Purchased Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowes about a year and a half ago, very efficient,no regrets very pleased.
Spent about 1500 for both maybe a little more
Like others have said open credit card get a discount :happy

http://www.lowes.com/Search=cabrio+wash ... rio+washer
Lowes also gives veterans a 10% discount. You have to ask for it.
Topic Author
Clearly_Irrational

No natural gas where we are now, it's Oregon everything is electric here.

Good suggestion on checking Consumer Reports at the library, I used to have a subscription but got rid of it when I started doing most of my research online.

I've considered buying a slightly used set, there seems to be about a 50% discount for two year old machines but repairs are often very expensive for this kind of equipment so I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Good point about most dryers being pretty much the same.

Some rough calculations using the government's energy star numbers suggest we'd save $373 over the course of ten years by buying an energy efficient washer vs. a normal washer. For dryers it looks like they're all pretty much the same which I suppose isn't too surprising given that the cost is mostly in the heating.

Apparently the Oregon Energy Trust offers a rebate of $70 for energy efficient washers which happens to include the Electrolux model listed above. http://energytrust.org/residential/ince ... esWashers1

So let's see:

Roper set $399 + $349 = $748 w/10% sale = $673.20
Electrolux set $1199 + $1199 = $2398 w/15% sale = $2038.30 minus energy savings and rebates = $1595.30 w/26% greater washer load size and 23% greater dryer load size @ 50% recapture = $1309.52

So basically we'd be paying $636.32 for brand, features and looks.
Topic Author
Clearly_Irrational

atfish wrote:Lowes also gives veterans a 10% discount. You have to ask for it.
Normally I wouldn't qualify under their rules, but I just saw a loophole:

"We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only."

It looks like they normally offer 10% off appliances on Memorial Day so I could get an extra 5%-10% by going that day and bringing my DD214 instead of going on President's Day. Awesome thanks! I wouldn't have known that otherwise.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

I'd pay close attention to the energy ratings. Several years ago, we purchased a set of front loading Bosch washer and dryer. I think we spent about $1200 (on sale at Sears). The washer does such a good job of spinning water out that the dryer dries the average load in 30 mins (instead of the previous 45 mins to an hour). The washer saves us money on water and propane and the dryer saves us money on electricity.

Our electric bill went down noticeably after we began using them.

Another nice thing is that they are so much quieter than our old set.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Yes, the efficiency is all in the washer, a front loader will be much more efficient in water use and also the electricity used by your dryer. We got an Amana front load for about $500 a few years ago. We don't see the value in the high priced machines.

Front loader is also gentler on your clothes, so there is some savings in them not wearing out as fast. We see the evidence of this is the drastic reduction in the amount of lint that is collected by the filter on our washer discharge.
winterescape

Post by winterescape »

I could have written your post a few weeks ago! After fixing our 25 Year old washer, I said (Insert wife’s name here) it is time for a new washer!

I also do as Taylor suggested and look art CR. Unfortunately, what I discovered is that high rated expensive washers have a bimodal distribution. Folks love them or hate them. Yes, I am lumping all agitator-less washers together being top load or front load. It seems in the race to lower energy consumption / save water / the engineers may have traded off reliability and washing performance.
I spent way too much time considering the options and asking my friends / co-workers / family about what they thought about washing machines. And you thought it was hard keeping someone interested in a conversation about investing!

Anyway, we ended up buying an inexpensive Kenmore agitator based traditional top load washer and it so far she (we) are very happy with the decision…
Kenmore model # 20022 on sale it was $299 plus delivery. BTW it is likely very similar to the roper as Whirlpool builds Whirlpool/Roper/Maytag/and many Kenmore washers.
Good luck….
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (home appliances).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jbk

Post by jbk »

Based on Consumer Reports we just picked up the LG 3.7 cu.ft. Steam Front Load Washer - (Model WM3070HWA) from Sears (currently $800). It's only been two weeks, but so far we love it. Much bigger capacity than our old top loader (probably get twice as much laundry in there) and everything comes out a lot dryer from the wash, saving time and energy on the dryer. Good luck.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

New Amana washer and dryer from BestBuy. Purchased for total price of about $700 and very happy with them. Can't really see why people would pay more.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:So our current washer and dryer are from the late 1980s. I've fixed them numerous times but frankly they're getting pretty worn out and given how old they are they're terrible energy hogs. I actually didn't even buy that set but got them when a roommate moved out in a hurry and left them behind around ten years ago.

My fiance and I received $800 as an early wedding present (the ceremony is in June) in order to help buy a new set. Currently I'm trying to figure out what we should purchase. We have the funds to purchase whatever we'd like up to and including ridiculously expensive ones but being a frugal type I'd like to make sure we get the best value for our money. Some goals for the new set in order of importance:

4) Look nicer. Yes, they're in the garage but still the current ones are pretty ugly.

On the cheap end I could get a pair of Roper brand machines that are functional and reliable but not efficient, featureful or pretty:

On the expensive end we could get a pair of Electrolux brand machines that do everything but rub your shoulders for you and save energy to boot:

Obviously we could get anything in between or buy used instead. The current plan is to find what we want then wait for a sale like the upcoming President's Day Sale to get them at a discount. (Lowe's normally has 15% of energy star models and 10% off normal models that day)

My brother had a meltdown with an Electrolux dishwasher, and getting parts from Europe turned out to be a nightmare. He swore never again.

we have always had Bosch (here in Europe) which have been reliable. Siemens is their premium brand. Miele is beyond premium-- but they specialize in water/ electric reliability (ie dishwashers and washers, dryers).

I imagine you can get other brands which are Energy Star.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Our 25 year old washer/dryer set is probably not much longer for this world so I have been researching and talking to people for a few months.

Two people with new washers less than 3 years old have ditched them already due to expensive recurring repairs of electronics. One was a Whirlpool and the other was an Electrolux. In fact the Electrolux was still under an extended warranty but the owner just wanted a washer that worked. The waiting weeks for parts and repair people was maddening.

From another message board I use was the story of a guy who had a 4 year old LG washer that had a burned out control board. They could not get a replacement part. Had to buy a new washer.

We've decided when the time comes we're going to get Speed Queen units. Mechanical controls, not electronic. Probably fixable for decades if necessary, since similar units are used in laundromats. Certainly not sexy to look at, but I just want them to work reliably.
soaring

Post by soaring »

If you consider Consumer Reports then take those recommendations and google the brand and model you are interested. Most times you will find places like Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc with ACTUAL user ratings and some with extensive comments. Considering that many folks complain but not recommend there may be an edge to complaints even if the product is OK.

However sometimes you will find a product with many recommendations and few complaints. Pay attention to those products as many times they will not be what was recommended by Consumer Reports. Read the user specifics for both complaints & recommendations. Sometimes you find trends both positive or negative.

I did that for our washer and dryer we purchased six months ago. There were so few user positives for and so many user negatives with many negative trends for the Whirlpool model recommended by CU that I kept reading. From user positive recommendations we finally bought front loader Samsung WF350 & DV350 for about $1800 + pedestals we decided to get. Couldn't be happier...yes a bit more than we wanted to spend.
Desiderata
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:So our current washer and dryer are from the late 1980s. I've fixed them numerous times but frankly they're getting pretty worn out and given how old they are they're terrible energy hogs. I actually didn't even buy that set but got them when a roommate moved out in a hurry and left them behind around ten years ago.?
Washers don't use huge amounts of power (EDIT: if front loaders, not sure about top loader situation). A 7kg washer in the UK, connected to cold inlet, washing at 60 degrees C, uses about 1 kwhr per wash (clothes can be cleaned perfectly well at 30 degrees C with modern detergents). US washers (top loaders) probably run 2-3x as much, however (you could look it up I am sure).

The main reason to have a front loader (and the arguments here rage-- some bad experiences with smell) is if you live in a water poor part of USA. In fact it may be a legal requirement. Also if you have time of day electricity pricing and you need to run your washer at peak hours.

Dryers however use 2.50-3.0 kwhr per load. It is worth it getting a 'heat pump' dryer-- which Bosch and Siemens do (and Miele but we are talking serious money). I can't say re Samsung and LG. An HP dryer uses around 50% less electricity per load. So in my house (300 loads pa, say), that is 450 kwhr saved pa or about USD 108 pa at an electricity price of c. USD 22 cents.

What I did work out was that 1). it's not worth replacing early (on an environmental basis scrapping the old one costs something) 2). I don't know if the Heat Pump dryers are less reliable however.

When I replace it I will get a HP dryer, but I am taking a risk on reliability (also higher cost).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jbk wrote:Based on Consumer Reports we just picked up the LG 3.7 cu.ft. Steam Front Load Washer - (Model WM3070HWA) from Sears (currently $800). It's only been two weeks, but so far we love it. Much bigger capacity than our old top loader (probably get twice as much laundry in there) and everything comes out a lot dryer from the wash, saving time and energy on the dryer. Good luck.
High speed spin really makes a difference and if it's in the garage then the noise is not such a concern.

But you are right, a high speed spin saves a bundle on drying time/ cost. there are Siemens models that do 1500 RPM (our Bosch does 1200 RPM).
bUU

Post by bUU »

Another vote for using CR for this. I actually checked a few years ago, figuring we're going to need a new dryer soon and we utterly hate our five-year old Whirlpool washing machine, and I remember seeing LG and Bosch and Samsung as the brands at the top.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:So our current washer and dryer are from the late 1980s. I've fixed them numerous times but frankly they're getting pretty worn out and given how old they are they're terrible energy hogs. I actually didn't even buy that set but got them when a roommate moved out in a hurry and left them behind around ten years ago.

Find what you like and go to Sears Outlet instead of Lowe's. They often have new 'scratch and dent' appliances where the defect is barely noticeable. We got a dryer from there with a slight scratch on top. It doesn't even go completely through the paint and who cares, it's just a dryer.

-Steph
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

How many kids will you have in the next 4 years? There is less wash for the two of you than for the two of you, a 3 year old, a 1 year old, and a newborn.

I am alone. I bought the next to cheapest models at Sears when they were on sale for less than the cheapest models (some holiday weekend). I also opened a Sears card account to save another 10%. I do one load a week. The extra energy cost will catch up with me in 20 years, but I may not be alive then. If I get to the point that I can't reach down into the top loader (I actually find bending down to get clothes out of the dryer more difficult), it will be time for the nursing home anyway. I will pay them to do my wash.

In short, your circumstances matter.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

SRenaeP wrote: Find what you like and go to Sears Outlet instead of Lowe's. They often have new 'scratch and dent' appliances where the defect is barely noticeable. We got a dryer from there with a slight scratch on top. It doesn't even go completely through the paint and who cares, it's just a dryer.
You might own mine. I paid for new; I wanted new. I sent the slightly dented dryer back. They offered a slight discount, but it was too small.

P.S. You are welcome.
keq1381

Re: Consumer Reports

Post by keq1381 »

BigOil wrote: Leave the washer door OPEN when not in use...or you may get mildew and stench! We bought it based on CR reviews.
+1

Because of this, we got a top loading washing machine without the agitator.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

BHawks87 wrote:I don't know anything about appliances and have never researched them but the repair guy I use for my appliances said to buy the cheaper models because the parts that tend to break are all the same. Maybe he wanted me to buy the cheaper appliances so he would get more business or maybe he was being honest. Just my .02 cents.
Some truth to this, after you have worked on a few of them you soon find out that most of all the parts are the same, I prefer to learn to fix what I own. The more features you get the more things that just tends to go wrong.

For us a family of four I buy the biggest washer/dryer with the least amount of options for the most part.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
papito23

Post by papito23 »

If you head to Sears, don't forget their very common and apparently generous coupons (on eBay, or at your local Post Office - the mover's packet)
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
westie

Post by westie »

I've bought 10% off Lowe's coupons for purchases of < 5K through Ebay twice. They usually expire within a month and cost approximately $8-12 for 5 coupons or so. May come in handy for large purchases.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Jay69 wrote:
BHawks87 wrote:I don't know anything about appliances and have never researched them but the repair guy I use for my appliances said to buy the cheaper models because the parts that tend to break are all the same. Maybe he wanted me to buy the cheaper appliances so he would get more business or maybe he was being honest. Just my .02 cents.
Some truth to this, after you have worked on a few of them you soon find out that most of all the parts are the same, I prefer to learn to fix what I own. The more features you get the more things that just tends to go wrong.

For us a family of four I buy the biggest washer/dryer with the least amount of options for the most part.
I have to admit in Europe the opposite advice is true.

You get what you pay for. Bosch, etc. use better parts (and they cost more to replace) and their reliability is way ahead of Whirlpool say. Siemens and Miele are top of the tree (but in price also).

For reliability you get what you pay for.

What I don't know is the Koreans. As I say I had a relative who had a meltdown with an Electrolux, and endless problem getting the parts.

Agree that the fewest features you can get away with is best (less to go wrong).
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

LG front loaders all the way. My wife loves them more than she loves me. We also have LG fridge, micro, gas range, and ever so quiet dishwasher. Love em all.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
Topic Author
Clearly_Irrational

airahcaz wrote:LG front loaders all the way. My wife loves them more than she loves me. We also have LG fridge, micro, gas range, and ever so quiet dishwasher. Love em all.
What model number do you have?
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

I actually got the best price for my LG DLE2250 from BestBuy. Ordered on-line. delivered in 3 days. I saved ~$200 versus Lowes and Home Depot.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:
airahcaz wrote:LG front loaders all the way. My wife loves them more than she loves me. We also have LG fridge, micro, gas range, and ever so quiet dishwasher. Love em all.
Slightly older version of this, basically entry level LG and still all good

http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM2250C ... oad-washer

With matching dryer
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

airahcaz wrote:
Clearly_Irrational wrote:
Slightly older version of this, basically entry level LG and still all good

http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM2250C ... oad-washer

With matching dryer
Found it

http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM2140C ... oad-washer
jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

We bought a new washer and dryer about two years ago. I asked a buddy of mine that runs an appliance repair business what he owned and if he would buy it again. He said yes so I got them on sale from a locally owned appliance dealer. Both are Hotpoint and we paid ~$550 for the pair on sale. So far, happy with both. I also use a clothes line as much as possible to cut down on drying costs.
Coach
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

I purchased a GE washer and dryer two years ago,under$700.They replaced Maytags that were installed when house was built in 1972. I will be happy to get 5 years out of them,hopefully they will not die on the same day!
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

The current washers and dryers, IMHO last nowhere nearly as long as they used to. Three years is all you can expect. And according to several repairmen I've talked to, the price you pay has nothing to do with longevity, nor does the brand name (most are built in just a few factories, none in the US now). So we just get the cheapest model with the few features that we use. Sears or a local appliance dealer.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

obgraham wrote:The current washers and dryers, IMHO last nowhere nearly as long as they used to. Three years is all you can expect. And according to several repairmen I've talked to, the price you pay has nothing to do with longevity, nor does the brand name (most are built in just a few factories, none in the US now). So we just get the cheapest model with the few features that we use. Sears or a local appliance dealer.
Yes, most major brands are made by the same Chinese companies. The Hotpoints, GE, even Maytag, Whirlpool, etc.

How many bells and whistles do you need to wash your underwear? :confused

You have to congratulate the appliance companies for turning washers and dryers into boutique status products. Who'da thunk it?
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Consumer Reports has a new piece on washers & dryers in the February 2013 issue. I read it yesterday. In a nutshell, here's what CR recommends: If in the market for a high-efficiency washer, buy a front-loader, not a top-loader. Top loaders fail to clean the clothes as well and do more damage to the clothes. LG is presently tops in reliability for washers. If you must buy a matching pair (some folks just prefer that), let the washer decision drive your purchase, not the dryer decision. The old American brands (Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, but particularly Frigidaire and GE) rank dead last for reliability with respect to washers, but there are a lot of Kenmores on the most-reliable dryers list. After reading the CR article, I decided that a mid-range LG washer ($700-900 price range) and a mid-range Kenmore dryer (again, $700-$900) is what I will buy.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Rupert wrote:Consumer Reports has a new piece on washers & dryers in the February 2013 issue. I read it yesterday. In a nutshell, here's what CR recommends: If in the market for a high-efficiency washer, buy a front-loader, not a top-loader. Top loaders fail to clean the clothes as well and do more damage to the clothes. LG is presently tops in reliability for washers. If you must buy a matching pair (some folks just prefer that), let the washer decision drive your purchase, not the dryer decision. The old American brands (Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, but particularly Frigidaire and GE) rank dead last for reliability with respect to washers, but there are a lot of Kenmores on the most-reliable dryers list. After reading the CR article, I decided that a mid-range LG washer ($700-900 price range) and a mid-range Kenmore dryer (again, $700-$900) is what I will buy.
Why not buy the LG pair?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Kenmore dryer I'm interested in was listed as a CR "best buy." The most comparable LG dryer in terms of features, reliability, etc., is more expensive. The LG was a recommended buy, but not a "best buy." I admit, I'm kind of a CR nut. I like buying from the "best buy" list. And I couldn't care less if my washer matches my dryer. I want them to work, and that's about it.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Rupert wrote:Consumer Reports has a new piece on washers & dryers in the February 2013 issue. I read it yesterday. In a nutshell, here's what CR recommends: If in the market for a high-efficiency washer, buy a front-loader, not a top-loader. Top loaders fail to clean the clothes as well and do more damage to the clothes. LG is presently tops in reliability for washers. If you must buy a matching pair (some folks just prefer that), let the washer decision drive your purchase, not the dryer decision. The old American brands (Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, but particularly Frigidaire and GE) rank dead last for reliability with respect to washers, but there are a lot of Kenmores on the most-reliable dryers list. After reading the CR article, I decided that a mid-range LG washer ($700-900 price range) and a mid-range Kenmore dryer (again, $700-$900) is what I will buy.
Most foreign countries require Front Loaders because of the efficiency issues-- water and electricity.

It may therefore be (don't know re Korea) that LG is better at front loaders because they have been making them for longer.

It's a minefield, of course, because so much production comes out of the same plants in China (although GE is expanding US appliance production again). With different labels on the front.

I'd go with the CR reliability measures, in absence of any better information.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

obgraham wrote:The current washers and dryers, IMHO last nowhere nearly as long as they used to. Three years is all you can expect. And according to several repairmen I've talked to, the price you pay has nothing to do with longevity, nor does the brand name (most are built in just a few factories, none in the US now). So we just get the cheapest model with the few features that we use. Sears or a local appliance dealer.
That has not been my experience with Bosch in Europe. We inherited ours and they are still going strong several years later. However a relative's Electrolux dishwasher has been nothing but pain. I agree I don't expect them to last 20-25 years in the way Maytag used to (more complex, more to go wrong).

It's a given in Europe that the best brands are Miele and Siemens (they come with prices to match). Then you get Bosch and probably the Koreans. Hotpoint (was GE but no longer?) and Ariston are pretty much don't touch.
Feb29

Post by Feb29 »

Based on a Consumer Reports review I bought their top recommendation: a Maytag HE washer for over $900. Two years later the control panel and a sensor broke. Replacement cost was $400. The repairman said there was no way of knowing if these replacement parts would last any longer than the originals.

I thought it through, did a lot of research, and bought a Speed Queen. These are the same machines you see in laundromats and they are built for long term reliability. It might not be as pretty or efficient, but the clothes come out cleaner in half the time.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Valuethinker:
That has not been my experience with Bosch in Europe
Bosch appliances in the US are what you might call a "niche" product. For a starter they run three times the price of standard (formerly) US brands, so they appeal to a different buyer.

Though I've no experience with them, I do have a Splendide combination washer/dryer in my motorhome. Italian, if I recall, and nicely built. But I hate to think what repairs would cost, as the new cost is over $1400. And that lets you do 2 socks and a T-shirt in two hours. (Well, that might be an exaggeration!)

My preference still is the plain Janes, expect to replace in 3-5 years if I'm lucky.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We used a top load washer and front load dryer for the last 40 years, getting replaced occasionally. We are 4 persons in our household, two of them use 3 times as many towels than the other two, so we run 4 large loads (not the Super) every day. We always used the washer dryers from the same large US manufacturer. Then 2 years ago the washer needed replacement and we bought a "super efficient / with all whistles/ with more electronics" washer, and after 2 month it needed repairs and after 4 repairs (one every few weeks) it got replaced for free with a different model. That was done three times over a year until we had enough and asked to get the same type of washer we had before for 40 years, and they still had that. This basic washer now is running beautifully for one year, no repair needed, I just bought an extended warranty because you never know.
I believe that well known US company had quality problems, or perhaps design problems. Perhaps they never tested their machines with our washing loads. Some replacement parts came from China. I just read they are moving part of their manufacturing back into the US.
I am saying, stay with basic machines. Simplicity is best. Don't invite problems into your life. You do not need all kind of special features, because all the washers/ dryers need to do is wash and dry, nothing else. Every new feature can fail and might shut you down for days and cost you. Over my year with the washer problems I hated it to wash all those clothing and towels at a laundromat. I am a 73 year old male retiree.
snodog

Post by snodog »

double post.
Last edited by snodog on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snodog

Post by snodog »

Agree 100% with the last post. I don't care if I loose a little in efficiency if that means I don't have the hassle of replacing every 5 or so years and going to the laundry mat. We save enough by washing everything in cold water. Simple is better, the problem I am having is not being able to find a larger than 4 cubic foot washer (bigger the better) that doesn't have electronics. My wife needs a big washer to wash king size comforter and sleeping bags.