Thank you, Jack Bogle !!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Thank you, Jack Bogle !!

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Today my wife and I returned from a Caribbean cruise.

Thank you, Jack.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
nvboglehead

Re: Thank you, Jack Bogle !!

Post by nvboglehead »

Taylor, welcome back.

I also feel grateful to Jack, and I am happy that I have had the opportunity to tell him so on a number of occasions. The Vanguard Group and the Boglehead philosophy are a dream come true to me. I would be lost without them.

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Listened to him today on PBS "Wealth Track". He is truly the best IMHO. I hope he can get the message out to more people every day.

Sam
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

exoilman wrote:Listened to him today on PBS "Wealth Track". He is truly the best IMHO. I hope he can get the message out to more people every day.

Sam
Hi Sam:

The message is, indeed, getting out to more and more people throughout the world. In addition to all the US-based Local Chapters, we have one in Paris and just yesterday we just opened another Local Chapter in Taiwan. http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1533027
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

exoilman wrote:Listened to him today on PBS "Wealth Track". He is truly the best IMHO. I hope he can get the message out to more people every day.

Sam
As discussed on Wealth Track, more and more people are switching to passively managed funds. So word is spreading.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
phish_indexer

Post by phish_indexer »

About 2 1/2 years ago, at age 24, my finances were in poor shape. Not in shambles, but certainly not in a good position. I was paying down student debt sporadically and putting a meager amount (couple hundred monthly) in a savings account earning 0.1 % APY. I knew I needed a change but had no idea how to save and always wondered how any but the highest earners could ever contemplate retirement.

As fortune would have it, I was online looking for an easy recipe for homemade whole wheat bread (I love to bake and cook) when I came across http://www.thesimpledollar.com/. The bread recipe was OK but the rest of the site's personal finance message was even better. I immediately opened a savings account with ING to establish my Emergency Fund and had 3 months of expenses covered fairly soon. I got hooked on watching my interest accrue, even if it was just a few dollars monthly. So I started looking for higher returns. I read some Graham (excellent but not my style) and some Motley Fool and Jim Cramer and was skeptical. So I kept looking.

Eventually, that same site that I had previously visited led me to Vanguard and a Bogle book, and I ended up reading A Random Walk Down Wall St., Bogle on Mutual Funds, and a couple Swedroe books in about a month's time. They gave me the courage to open an IRA with Vanguard (went with the STAR fund at first since it was the only fund with a 1k minimum at the time), start contributing to my company's 401(k), immensely increase my savings rate, and they eventually led me to this site and my local Boglehead chapter. Fast forward 2 1/2 years and I am the resident expert in my group of friends and family about intelligent investing, always recommend this site and its message/philosophy, and am hopefully on my way to financial freedom many years down the road.

Thanks to Jack Bogle, and to all other authors and posters that regularly contribute to this site (Taylor, Mel, Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri, and Bill Bernstein off the top of my head.) It has truly been a blessing. I'd be lost without Vanguard and the majesty of simplicity and passive investing.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

I am joining the Thank you Jack Bogle bandwagon. This forum is like my nagging mother who finally got me off my butt and start investing for my retirement again. I got side tracked with golf.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Thank you Jack for inspiring others, including Taylor. Thank you Taylor for using the inspiration from Jack to form the Diehards and ultimately the Bogleheads. The message has multiplied to inspire thousands through this forum, the Wiki, two collaborative books, local chapters, Boglehead reunions etc.

There is much to be grateful for now as Thanksgiving approaches.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Thank you Jack for inspiring others, including Taylor. Thank you Taylor for using the inspiration from Jack to form the Diehards and ultimately the Bogleheads. The message has multiplied to inspire thousands through this forum, the Wiki, two collaborative books, local chapters, Boglehead reunions etc.

There is much to be grateful for now as Thanksgiving approaches.

Jerry
+1

LynnC

Good for you, Taylor and Pat!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thank you Jack!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
david99

Post by david99 »

Taylor,

We also thank you for all the great advice you have provided over the years.

Wishing you many more cruises!
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Saw the Wealthtrack interview this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead »

Vanguard has $2 trillion in assets under management. If Jack Bogle had retained an interest in the company that he founded instead of setting it up with its mutual ownership structure, he could be profiting greatly now. If he were paid just one basis point a year for VG's A.U.M., then he would supplement his annual income by $20 million. I am amazed at his generosity. He will surely be the most altruistic and selfless man that we will ever know.

Thank you, Mr. Bogle!

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
khh

Post by khh »

I first saw Jack Bogle on WSW with Louis Rukeyser in the early '80s and I was hooked. Everything he said had the ring of truth. It wasn't long before I put his philosophy into practice. Guess you could say I chose wisely:)
winterescape

Post by winterescape »

phish_indexer wrote:About 2 1/2 years ago, at age 24, my finances were in poor shape. Not in shambles, but certainly not in a good position. I was paying down student debt sporadically and putting a meager amount (couple hundred monthly) in a savings account earning 0.1 % APY. I knew I needed a change but had no idea how to save and always wondered how any but the highest earners could ever contemplate retirement.

As fortune would have it, I was online looking for an easy recipe for homemade whole wheat bread (I love to bake and cook) when I came across http://www.thesimpledollar.com/. The bread recipe was OK but the rest of the site's personal finance message was even better. I immediately opened a savings account with ING to establish my Emergency Fund and had 3 months of expenses covered fairly soon. I got hooked on watching my interest accrue, even if it was just a few dollars monthly. So I started looking for higher returns. I read some Graham (excellent but not my style) and some Motley Fool and Jim Cramer and was skeptical. So I kept looking.

Eventually, that same site that I had previously visited led me to Vanguard and a Bogle book, and I ended up reading A Random Walk Down Wall St., Bogle on Mutual Funds, and a couple Swedroe books in about a month's time. They gave me the courage to open an IRA with Vanguard (went with the STAR fund at first since it was the only fund with a 1k minimum at the time), start contributing to my company's 401(k), immensely increase my savings rate, and they eventually led me to this site and my local Boglehead chapter. Fast forward 2 1/2 years and I am the resident expert in my group of friends and family about intelligent investing, always recommend this site and its message/philosophy, and am hopefully on my way to financial freedom many years down the road.

Thanks to Jack Bogle, and to all other authors and posters that regularly contribute to this site (Taylor, Mel, Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri, and Bill Bernstein off the top of my head.) It has truly been a blessing. I'd be lost without Vanguard and the majesty of simplicity and passive investing.
Very interesting story and very well stated! You are so fortunate to have figured this out at age 26, so many take a lot of wrong turns before finding a simple low cost method of investing.
Anyway, me too! Thanks so much Jack for educating us and helping us reach our financial goals.
Taylor, hopefully you have another cruise booked for 2013!
oaksavannah

Post by oaksavannah »

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing buying stocks or how to think about my financial future. I had no plan. No vision and no confidence. I came across Jonathan Clements' articles in the WSJ (I hope he is doing well, I've lost track of him after he left the WSJ) which led to Mr. Bogle's books. They are great. And it was so kind of him to create the kind of company he did. I consider Mr. Bogle a bodhisattva - enlightened activity benefiting others. Yes, thank you. And thanks to everyone who contributes their generosity, time, wisdom to continually create this site - it's a beacon for people like me who were wandering in the financial darkness.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Thank you, Jack, and good health.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Jack needs a Nobel.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing